What\'s Blooming #3

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I guess I would have to going forward. It's funny how they always pick the special ones. The first one bit in half was a seedling from acer griseum and you know how hard that one is from seed. Then there was the mouse in the basement one year who ripped out all my hellebore seedlings from England. He didn't touch anything else. And then there is the birds that will pull the same plant out of the ground everyday until it is dead or the squirrels that chew up the one iris out of the bunch that was the reason you placed the order in the first place. They never bother the bonus extras that you really don't want to make room for.
Thanks for the tips though. I think this chocolate one will make it and I'm not even sure where I would put it in my yard or if the older stem color will be worth saving. The little rooted coral bark will have to stay in because the stems are so very slim, I don't know it will have enough energy to go fully dormant.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm going to raise some JM Shirazz from seeds, I've trying to find it's parentage but I cant find much. I do like the coral bark and chocolate bark too, it's sad and maddening to find your prizes broken and on death's door. Do you live in a more rural environment? I have cats and they keep down the critter population quite nicely.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I found 2 paperbark seedlings this summer - I've never seen one before, despite having several paperbarks which are loaded with seed every year. And, just as Loretta experienced, one of them was promptly eaten by someone. So the other one is now covered with a wire cage. I was afraid to try to lift him yet, such a scrawny little thing. I'm eager to see if he leafs out this spring, in which case I'll try potting him up.
Coincidentally I found this pretty paperbark leaf yesterday... I thought it was particularly nice.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Loretta, No, I don't cut the Clematis back. I had 3 Clematis re-bloom this year in the fall. I think it's moisture that brings on second blooms. Well, I do cut the group 3's back in early spring and do cut the group 2's back some in early spring. But, as for cutting back for a second bloom after a first flush of blooms, no I don't.

Our fully mature Japanese Maple had two large limbs die this year. We cut them out and are hoping it will put out new limbs next spring. If not, we will have to cut it back and replace it with another Japanese Maple. We have really enjoyed this JM tree and are sad large limbs have died out. We believe the limbs died from a really cold winter a couple of years ago. Our Co. Agent says this "die out" can show up two or three years later.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very pretty, Robin. Paperbark Maple does do a nice red fall show. It is a favorite tree of mine. I did break down and buy one eventually but I don't think it has seeded yet. I went back to the original trees where I got the seeds that germinate another year but there were no embryos in the seeds this time. The first time, they were full so go figure. I know it's a problem with them. Good luck with your baby!
Birder, I remember reading a long thread years ago about cold damage with JM and actually the mother tree of my JM seedlings did have a close call. A lot of the bark split and peeled one winter but surprisingly it recovered. Hope yours recovers.

(Zone 4b)

birder17 wrote:

I grow a dwarf variety of Gomphrena called 'Gnome' every year for a border.

Just wanted to let you know 'birder' that I just placed an order for seeds and your 'Gnome' is included as I was so impressed with the picture you posted of your gomphrena border seen on page 6 of this thread.

(I have always felt out of my depth when starting plants from seed but last season it was "easy peasy" getting gomphrena 'Las Vegas' mix to work. I found a misplaced packet of these seeds in July and with nothing to lose I simply sowed the whole pack into a container we had on the deck. I bet within 4 weeks there were flowers showing! I was impressed. This year I will plant your 'Gnome' seeds directly into the ground in late May with the hope to get something like you showed. The appeal of 'Gnome' for me is hopefully the lesser height as compared to 'Las Vegas'. Thanks again....I learn lots from all of you.)

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the gomphrena reminder, Birder.
Happy New Year fellow plantaholics!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I too want to thank you Rouge for the reminder of Birder's impressive border. You are a fine seedaholic in the making, which is good news for plantaholics you know. A wider range of plants to be had as well as a little less stressful on the pocket-book with a good dose of added challenge. What's not to love?

You too Loretta, have a fabulous New Year with blessings galore. The same applies to everybody reading!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm glad you are going to try the Gomphrena 'Gnome'. I grow it every year. It has great germination and yes, it's out into the garden bed in no time. And, once it gets going, it blooms all summer long. It does like a little heat to get it going. I am sure you will have great success.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

New thread started
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1439598/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.