What\'s Blooming #3

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I guess I'm just not diligent enough about watering/feeding my potted brug. He's a pitiful comparison with those beauties. I'll try again next year.
My aconitums are still going strong. I posted pictures of Aconitum 'Bicolor' a few weeks ago - I thought it was disappointing, but hoped it would improve when came into fuller bloom. But alas, it's in full-tilt bloom now and still a sprawling (nearly lying on the ground), muddy mess (pics 1&2). Interestingly, I found what must be a seedling of it in a shadier portion of my woodland and the blooms look pretty good (pics 3&4). The original plant is in a very moist sunnier position. Maybe the plant can look good in the right exposure/soil.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are some others blooming now:
#1 is Actaea simplex (sideways - annoying!)
#2 is Leucosceptrum stellipilum
#3 is Cyclamen hederifolium - love the way the flowering stems unfurl!
#4 is aquilegia - ?which one.
#5 is Oxalis triangularis - which isn't hardy here. I planted a few plants 5 yrs ago. I thought they simply didn't survive. But ever since then, I find what I presume are seedlings popped up here & there. Foliage is as pretty as a bloom.

Edited to correct spelling

This message was edited Oct 23, 2016 12:13 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Wee is your 'Aconitum 'Bicolor' just flopping/splaying?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Totally flopped. Definitely needs support

Aw, I hate when that happens. I've got too many floppers.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

My Asters are just loving the weather and blooming nicely

Thumbnail by cytf
(Zone 4b)

Excellent cytf...I more and more like asters.

Beautiful Asters!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Enjoying all the pretties!

cytf or __ - I need some suggestions on my asters. They are just not blooming as prolifically as I would like??? They are somewhat floppy and I know I should have trimmed their heads and time got away from me on getting the trimming back. They should still be blooming more???

(Zone 4b)

Here is our single pot of "Gomphrena" (Las Vegas Mix) from sometime in August.

Thumbnail by rouge21

I like it Rouge and am still thinking about Birder's border. Heck, I might as well do something about it now...I'm off to look for Gnome seeds!

(Zone 4b)

Quote from Mipii :
and am still thinking about Birder's border. Heck, I might as well do something about it now...I'm off to look for Gnome seeds!

Me too!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

:)!
Edited to add: I have to order it each year. I can't find it locally. Be sure it's "Gnome" not "Buddy". "Buddy" is very nice also, but it gets larger.
I've tried to save seed from the Gnome series, but the following year, it grows taller. So, I just order it. They have the Gnome series at Stokes.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2016 1:36 PM

(Zone 4b)

Quote from birder17 :
They have the Gnome series at Stokes.

I saw that just yesterday.

(I think I bought "Las Vegas mix" from Stokes last winter).

(Zone 4b)

It has been quite cold the last few days (30 F this morning on the way to work) and geranium "Azure Rush" still has flowers that look good (much better than our "Rozanne" which has no flowers now).

Thumbnail by rouge21
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm jumping from perennial to annual, but I want you to see my zinnia. I think it looks like a rose. This is my best in a long time (from my own hybridizing).

Thumbnail by brendak654
(Zone 4b)

Amazing 'brenda'...I am impressed!

Oh Brenda that's really beautiful...I can't wait to buy seeds for that one!

Good information on the collected seeds not coming true from G. Gnome and Geranium 'Azure Rush' performing really good right now.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Boy, I'm behind. Every time I type a reply, my kids kick my off the computer.

I would buy those seeds too, Brenda! I love, love, love that zinnia!

Rouge, that mix pot of gomphrena came out really nice. It's not something you see, such a simple, nice composition of gomphrena. How many plants do you think are in that pot? I am also hunting gomphrena seeds. I was going to just grow the seeds I collected but now that birder mentioned that her collected seed grows tall, I remember having lanky results. I also looked up Gomphrena Fireworks but the seeds are so expensive I might as well see if it is offered again for $3 or $4. It's cheaper. I also plan to get Strawberry Fields which I couldn't find anywhere around here this year.
Rouge, that brug is incredible! It reminds me of the beautiful pots of brugs I saw all over Germany years ago. The only thing I've tried close to that is datura Black Currant which has a nice bloom but not such a specimen.
Wee, you have such a collection. That monkshood is worth a peony ring if nothing else is! And as for you oxalis, I have a friend in zone 7 who plants the bulbs 8" deep, mulches and they come back for him. I've never tried but I would love to have that establish.
Cytf, that aster has really nice form. Is that a returning plant or a new one?

Hi brendak654 I have those Asters planted in my full sunny garden bed and I fertilized it in early spring and there is a fence at the back and I water them early in the morning before the sun comes up.. I also have some other Asters planted in full sun but they are next to the house and they did not bloom as nice as that one near the fence . So I just think location has a lot to do with the outcome. Loretta the Asters are about 8 years old .

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A remarkably warm and humid day - 80's! Pretty amazing for nearly November.
Only a few guys still blooming around here.
Most of my cyclamen are done, but C. cilicium is still going strong (#1).
A tender shrub in container (strobilanthes) is also in full bloom (#2,3).
We spent much of the day planting bulbs.
We hired a special security guard to watch for varmints intent on unearthing the bulbs (#4).

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Robin - Those are beauties and good looking security guard.

Thanks for all the good comments on my zinnia-rose.

Cytf - Thanks for info on asters.

Loretta - I like the thought of planting the oxalis deep. Thanks for sharing that.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Oxalis crassipes Rosea is fully hardy for me.

I absolutely love your security guard choice! You're a genius!!!

Hi brendak654 I love that Rose like Zinnia,it surely is very unusual.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from Loretta_NJ :

It's not something you see, such a simple, nice composition of gomphrena. How many plants do you think are in that pot?

'Loretta', I emptied the whole pack of seeds into that small container...so maybe 50 plants ! :)

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Haha! That's awesome! Looks great and it's easy!
Wee, you're welcome about the oxalis. I have some so maybe if I get to it, I'll try it too. He does a lot of shredding leaves and mulching throughout his whole garden as he is a serious zone pusher. I did find out that Rosea is somewhat hardy here as well as I mentioned before but I wasted the plant. When I come across it again and it's reasonable, I may try.
I never see owls around here except the plastic ones people put on roofs to chase whatever they are trying to get rid of. But once in a blue moon, I hear one or two so I know they're around.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2016 9:35 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I hear owls frequently but see them rarely. The owl this morning sat on the same branch right outside the house for an hour or more.
Beautiful fall day today - just a perfect day of 'stream of consciousness' gardening.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is fall, that's for sure. Here's my Hickory tree. Once it turns yellow, it is usually empty within a week.
2. Red Chiffon coreopsis has always been in flower since I picked it up. I don't have high hopes that it will overwinter.
3. Another shot of Whirlwind
4. Amsonia Hubrechtii
5. Geranium Samobor refreshing its leaves.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
(Zone 4b)

That Amsonia has to have one of the nicest fall colors and visual texture. Excellent 'Loretta'!

Great fall colors Loretta, Whirlwind looks yummy too.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I planted 3 teeny tiny amsonia's this past spring totally because I LOVE their fall color.
Unfortunately, I now know bunnies (or other varmints, not sure who's to blame) like them too.
My guys are so tiny right now - I'm eager for them to fill in to create the same fall display Loretta is showing off.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Yes - Love those fall season photos Loretta.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks all. It took many, many years for that Amsonia to become something like I see at the gardens or in pictures. That one is either a seedling or the original plant I bought when my son was an infant. He's almost 16 now. It didn't help that there is a dappled willow the size of a small tree next to it that I cut back hard this year. I have a few seedlings and they are just sticks. If I can figure out something, I'd like to plant a row of them. If you get some seed, just stick them in a pot and leave it out all winter, unprotected except maybe from squirrels digging. They will sprout in the spring. So far, rabbits haven't gone for them here.

My Reblooming Immortality Iris gave me a lovely bloom.Its has multiplied a lot so I have to divide it next year.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

cytf - Love your fall bloomer white iris.

Here is my fall bloomer iris this year (November bloomer - hard to believe), and this is the only stalk blooming. It is always a treat when an iris fall blooms. Plus the annual morning glory with hyacinth bean.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654

Are the Iris blooming now fall bloomers or re-bloomers? Both of those Iris a very pretty.

Yes Mipii, they bloom twice a year and I really enjoy it. Brendak654 your is also beautiful ,and I love it too , we should trade next year .

Thanks for the info. :)

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

The blue that I posted is a spring and fall bloomer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.