Aussie Broms in 2016

Christchurch, New Zealand

seeing if we can revive some interest from the 'old' gang & maybe find some new faces to share a love of bromeliads in all their forms...
starting with the almost indestructible Bil nutans.

we came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1410151/#post_10187569

if you are interested in broms have a wander through the thread, there are some lovely photos of members broms and some really useful tips on growing/propagating broms.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2016 11:33 AM

Thumbnail by dalfyre
shellharbour, Australia

Hi anyone who's watching in.

I'm still having trouble trying to post on this new format once again so I'll ry once again.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804
shellharbour, Australia

They say persistence beats resistance, Ha! Ha!

Posted at last, maybe the administration staff were off over the Christmas break; anyway maybe we can get back to normal once again.

I forgot to mention that the pic in my previous post were two month old Vriesea seedlings.

All the best, Nev.

yay Nev - so glad to see you are able to post!
How are the Vriesea seedlings doing?
What parentage are they?

How does their growth in two months compare with the Neo crosses you have done?

cheers - Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hooray!!!

Thanks ever so much Nev and Teresa for getting this forum back up and running. Sorry I have been AWOL, circumstances beyond our control but things are on the improve now and we are back home and trying to get our lives back to some sort of normality and we are feeling better every day since being back home.

Oh before I totally forget HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! May this year be kind to you and your families and we wish you the best of health, happiness and a year made up of wonderful things and great memories.

The gardens looking lovely now after some much needed rain but we are still on stage 2 water restrictions so naturally mindful of our usage; thank goodness bromeliads do not need much water at all and are handling things well and are looking better for it with a bit of neglect and are colouring up very nice since the heat got here. I will attach a couple of new pictures during the week but for now a couple of old pics to get us started somewhere.

On Sunday I gave my Igloo a good clean-out by dead-leafing all the Vrieseas and it looks great in there now (took me from 5am to 9am); I can't believe how well they are all doing and I must get in there when things cool down and take some pictures as some are growing up to be stunning plants and pupping well. Joe had slept in that morning when I decided to venture out into the Igloo nice and early to do some watering and when he finally did come out to see what I was up to (coffee in hand for us) he was totally blown away by what I had achieved and I was over the moon because it was the first time in a very long time I got to really get stuck into working on my broms and it was so great to get that feeling back again, of achieving more than I had set-out to do as my intention was to just water them but then it decided to rain which was great so instead I de-leafed them.

Joe's Orchids are also doing well with only a few seedlings lost with the heat and us being away for so long.

I am unsure about this new format, but you know what I am just thrilled to bits to be able to be back in contact with my Brom Buddies again so that's all that matters to me right now and Nev/Teresa once again I can't thank you enough for all your effort :)

Now lets see if I can attach a couple of pics...

Pic 1 - Neo. 'Scandal'
Pic 2 - Neo. 'Sunday Best'
Pic 3 - Neo. 'Cane Fire'
Pic 4 - Neo. 'Prince of Darkness'
Pic 5 - Neo. 'Concentrica' x ?

Speak soon!

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Townsville, Australia

Hello, hello is anybody home?

I sent Nev an email this morning to let him know I am posting again but maybe he is experiencing issues with DG again and can't post his thread?

Anyway have a great day everyone and I will check in again tomorrow evening.

Trish

hmmm - poor Nev can't post, I have been flat out with Sugar having been spayed & trying to stop her hitting the in laws with the cone she is wearing to stop her licking or pulling out her stitches.

We over to the West Coast yesterday - Hubby's son & his fiancee got married.
It was a nice setting under a gazebo in her mother's garden.

Big trip for Baz to drive there & back again in one day - about 3 1/2 hours each way.

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa

Great to hear from you; yeah Nev is still having trouble up-loading threads onto this forum and I am very frustrated for him because he is doing all he can do to get back in and join us for a chat; hopefully they fix the problem real soon but until then I am keeping in contact with him through email nearly every day when I can.

Looks like you had a lovely time away by the looks of those beautiful photos you kindly shared with us. What a lovely spot and the clouds hugging the hills are very pretty indeed and who's the cutie in the photo you are holding, she is adorable and I am taking she is family?

I have been busy in the garden today finding spots for all the brom pups I have recently potted up; it's hot out there so the sweat has been pouring off me just walking around shuffling pots around, nothing that strenuous but the humidity is high so all you have to do is stand there and you sweat he he.

Hope Sugar is on the mend and keeping out of mischief; the Girls say Hi :)

Oh looks like I can't upload photos either now (go figure), it says "You may upload up to 5 images" but no button to bring up my files so I will have to post reply without for today.

Cheers

Trish

hi Trish,
the wee cutie is my Grand daughter Amellia...

The scenery heading over the alps to the West Coast is quite lovely.

At times we were in low cloud :)

pic is my stepson Dan & his new bride Timara cutting the cake.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa

Amellia is gorgeous, you must be thrilled to bits to have her in your life, she is too cute.

The alps are beautiful and I thought you might have had to drive through the low cloud at the time so pleased you made it back and forth safely.

The newly weds look so very happy, the look on their faces say it all. They look to be in there early 20's, about the same age when I married Joe. Cake looks pretty, sure it was yummy too.

We got rain here last night and it was still raining when we woke up this morning and on my drive to work and possibly more to come this evening hopefully. The broms and lawns are loving some of the fresh stuff and has saved me watering anything this week so I am pleased about that as the Mozzies are bad out there at the moment as went to take some vegetable scraps out to our compost bin and they nearly carried me away he he; does not help that our property backs onto the wetlands although pretty much dry with the little bit of rain we have been getting these past couple of weeks has brought them out of hiding and they are hungry for blood.

I was super tired at work today, the rain always makes me sleepy; other work colleges were feeling the exact same with lots of yawns all around which was catching :)

Still unable to upload picture, very frustrating.

Trish

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Once again I'll try and upload a message. I still haven't heard back from DG administraion which is unusual as they've been very helpful in the past

All the best, Nev.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Well, well, well - It seems I'm able to post once again, so I'll try and load a pic and see how that goes. Neoregelia 'Mandarin Miss'

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804
Townsville, Australia

Hi Nev

Great to see you are able to post thread and picture - yeah!!!

I am just trying to upload a picture as have been experiencing problems these past couple of days, double yeah look I was able to attached Pic 1 of Neo. 'Jaws' so that's good. Looks like Pic 2 of Neo. 'Rosy Morn' uploaded ok also.

Hi Teresa if your looking in.

Time to get dinner on, a bit peckish today and it's been a big day at work so I a buggered.

Speak soon.

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Townsville, Australia

Hi Nev I forgot to comment on your picture of Neo. 'Mandarin Miss', such a pretty plant that can take on so many different affects when grown in different light conditions. I have this one growing in both the garden and Igloo but it seems to do far better in the Igloo possibly because the light conditions are a bit kinder so it gets fantastic colour throughout all the leaves upon maturity living under 70% shade cloth; where the one in the garden get's a lot of afternoon light (around 80%) but still has some green leaves down the lower part of it's body and looses some of its deeper colouring up the top.

A Neo. NOID that I got a year ago that pupped for me towards the end of the year and they are full of wonderful colour like their mother.

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy
shellharbour, Australia

Hi once again and hopefully it's not falling on the deaf ears of DG like the post and attached pictures I tried to send yesterday.

Before I try again I'll first of all see if this post is accepted or not.

I'm getting very frustrated as there's still no answer back from administration about my problem.

All the best, Nev..

shellharbour, Australia

Hi again - Well the above post went through OK but when I went to post yesterday's post, same problem, I still can't send a post with pictures. I wonder if the length of the post is now limited.

All the best, Nev.

I have been busy at work, busy with dog training & busy with in-laws...
not much time for the garden and the rain has been fairly steady since last Friday.
Finally had a day of sun, up to 24C yesterday.
Today we managed 27C & tomorrow they are predicting 30C.

Just hope it's fine Sunday for our dog club fun day.

A couple more photos from the wedding

a close up of the cake & the groom's younger brothers dressed in their "tuxedo onesies"

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hi Nev I just sent you a D-Mail with some options on possibly how to fix the issues you are experiencing with DG since you have still not heard back from anyone; hope this helps fix the problem?

Hi Teresa

You sound extra super busy; you must be looking forward to the weekend and hope you get to put your feet up for a bit. The Dog Club Fun Day Sunday should hopefully be relaxing and I hope the weather behaves for you, but I can still picture you running around with Sugar and all the other dogs he he because you like to be a person with a lot of energy and a kind and helpful person too.

Great pictures you posted of the cake (so pretty) and the groom's younger brothers all dressed up and proud. Are they freezing one of the cakes to have on their first anniversary, that's what we did with ours for tradition? You and I appear very similar in the picture taking department, I too like to take close-up pics of things that represent something meaningful like you have done for this wedding; nice memories for everyone to keep and share.

Time to get dinner on, home-made pizza tonight - yum can't wait, luv the smell of it cooking and of course the taste too :)

Pictures 1 & 2 are of Neo. 'Frivolity' - really like this one as just that little bit different.

Trish

Townsville, Australia

Teresa I just took a closer look at the boys in their Tuxeo's, too funny I have never seen them before in my life but I can say I have now LOL, what a fantastic idea.

Trish

Hi Trish,
the bride wasn't quite as amused as everyone else but with the personalities involved I think she was grateful they didn't turn up in anything worse...
I believe nappies were a possibility.

I don't think they were saving any cake as it was a very rich chocolate.
Baz & I saved the top tier of our cake - but it was a traditional fruit cake so froze well.
We needed to clear out the freezer a few years later so ate it then - didn't wait for a special occasion.

I still have the sugar flowers in an airtight container... somewhere.

Love the look of Neo Frivolity, really pretty plant.

take care - Teresa

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - This is just a test to see if things work for me using IE

shellharbour, Australia

Maybe my problem is with Google Chrome so I'll try and post again later using IE

All the best, Nev.

hi Nev - good to see you back... looks like the test was successful.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers - Teresa
PS 30C here.
Whew, feels like summer

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Teresa if they had turned up in nappies that would have been hilarious and probably with dummy and all LOL. Sure as the years pass the bride will have a wonderful story to tell everyone as we all do when it comes to weddings, they never really go to plan as hard as you try and I still to this day get a giggle out of how our wedding day turned out.

We ate our smaller wedding cake on our first year anniversary and had family over to help us. I still have a container with all the bobby pins (approx. 100) that were in my hair and all the confetti I got out of it, I remember Joe spending a good hour trying to get everything out of my hair and because I had very long hair then (way past my behind) and wore a good majority of it up and the rest all done is spiral curls, it was quiet a chore to get it all down so I could sleep properly that night and they used that much hairspray in it which made the task even harder he he.

That's great that you kept your sugar flowers; we are so much alike it's not funny when it comes to sentimental values we have, a nice quality to have and not seen much anymore as most people just throw things away now days. I still have all our baby clothes (sisters, brothers and mine), all the stuffed toys and favourite dolls I had as a child, my stamp and coin collection and comic books, oh and all the posters I collected relating to music stars.

Pleased to hear you liked the picture of Neo. 'Frivolity', it's a real pretty one that has this lilac hue about it and lovely hot pink tips and one I just can't get enough of in our garden; I also find it to be a really good producer of pups and they all turn out just as stunning as their mother.

Hi Nev how's everything going with DG; looks like you are not having 100% luck as of yet and sure you are totally frustrated by now as I am for you. I have not checked my D-Mail or personal emails for a couple of days but will do so over the next couple of days to see if you got the email I sent you the other day as I possibly had a solution to help rectify the situation maybe.

Anyway I look forward to hearing from you when you can.

Happy Australia Day for tomorrow!!! We are catching up with friends for lunch which will be nice as we have not seen them in awhile.

Take Care Everyone and Happy Gardening!

Neo. 'Kahala Dawn'

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy

What I can see of Neo. Kahala Dawn looks nice - the pic wouldn't open for me so not sure what's going on there.

I had a bit of drama here last night.
Mother in law decided to take a wine bottle out to the recycle bin... and stumbled in the dark & fell into the garden.
Father in law went out to help her, the front door was left wide open.
They had also left the connecting door from the laundry to the kitchen open - so when I went to take Sugar out the back before bed she took a detour & ran through the kitchen & into the lounge...
of course I had no idea the front door was open so I just gave her a call and waited for her to circle the lounge & come back.
Luckily she decided to come & didn't take the chance to go out the front door & off down the street!

When I finally went through to the lounge I was horrified to see the door open & wondered if there was anyone out there... didn't see anyone so shut the door.
Which locked the in laws out.
A few minutes later there was a knock at the door...
and I heard the full story, of course all I could think was how easily the night could have turned to disaster - injured 87 year old and a dog running loose in the street...

And of course the wine bottle Mother in law decided she must dispose of was the one I had left on the bench so I could fill it with water & a dash of seasol to dose my potted plants with in the morning.

I have asked her to please not go wandering outside in the dark...
there is nothing that needs doing that cannot wait until daylight.

Take care all
Teresa

After living here since 1999 I only just noticed the Silk Tree in my backyard is perfumed...

it was a hot night & the dog was wanting to go out so as I stood on the back deck I wondered what the sweet scent in the air came from.

It dawned on me that the Silk Tree was in bloom & one branch with blossom was low enough to sniff the flowers.

That confirmed the scent was indeed from that tree.

I wonder why I have never smelled it before.

Take care
Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa

Oh my goodness glad to hear all ended well with your mother-in-law being fine and that Sugar did not take the opportunity and do a runner on mummy; she is such a good girl and sure she would have missed you too much to do so and would have not got far before running back home into your luving arms. Sure the whole situation would have given you a startling fright and you would have been like "What The" LOL.

Your Silk Tree in flower sounds beautiful; I did not realise they had a sent at all so I have learnt something today; and I wonder why you have never smelt it before until now; would it be something to do with the weather??? How long do the flowers last? You have been probably out there sniffing it madly after work everyday now that you know it smells so beautiful he he.

Pleased to hear you liked the pic. of 'Kahala Dawn'; she is starting to get a really nice shape about here with many layers of leaves; sure she will give me some pups soon as she is mature now.

Here's a pic. of my Neo. 'Royal Cordovon'; fully mature plant that's pupping as we speak.

So glad the weekends nearly hear; have lots to do in the garden and lots of broms recently potted up that I need to find nice spots in the garden.

I recently got some Heliconia and Gingers in the mail and noticed the other day that they are starting to sprout new leaves so I am thrilled to bits about that.

What are you getting up to over the weekend? Hope works been good to you and that you are still enjoying it there.

Did you have any luck joining the other forum, let me know if it interests you and if you need any help as I am finding my way around ok and enjoying chatting with everyone there also and it's fantastic being back in contact with our great friend Nev. There seems to be many forums to choose from on different subject matters, plants etc. so I reckon you will luv it, check it out and let me know what you think as it has more to offer than I had expected.

Girls say a BIG HI to Sugar :) Photo's taken winter time...Lexi (black one), Lucy (tan & white one). Luv them to bits.

Trish :)

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - I just couldn't stay away and had to see if the Gremlins are still making it difficult for me to post.

Anyway Hi to Teresa and Trish and your canine friends, good to see you're still trying to keep things going and I wish you luck.

All the best, Nev.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi again - Well it seems that worked OK so now for the big test and I'll try and post some pic's of a cross I did of Neo 'Bea Hanson' x 'Rosea Striata'

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
shellharbour, Australia

Hi again - As John Denver used to sing, "Gee its good to be back home again".

It seems that finally after much frustration I'm able to post once again, so without getting too excited, I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens a second time.

All the best, Nev.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2016 1:44 PM

Nice to see you again Nev.
I do like the plant, bottom right pic 5...

actually I think it looks like a good cross as there are lots of nice looking plants in a range of shades & striping.

Jean - Sugar would just love your girls...
first proper day of training today, nice & warm after some really cold wet days.

I was pleased with madam weasel so have entered in our club's obedience show at the end of Feb.

I guess she can't do worse than the last competition - once you hit rock bottom the only way is up...

take care all
Teresa

shellharbour, Australia

This message was edited Jan 31, 2016 4:06 PM

Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa & Nev

Hope you are both well.

Great to see you back Nev and hope you come back to DG.

I never did hear back from DG when I logged the issue with them and that was well over a week ago so pretty disappointing to get no response from them?

Sorry I have been AWOL, Joe and I have both got really bad chest infections and viral type colds so have been way out of sorts for the past week but I have still been working and have taken no time off work but Joe really needed a few days off because he has been way more sick than me and has really knocked him around; but I wonder if I am a few days behind him because others were sick at his place of work and I have just caught it from him and possibly my body is trying to fight it off or possibly having a delayed reaction LOL. Work has been super hectic with a big tender on at present and I am buried neck deep in paperwork at the moment; by the time I get home every evening and get dinner out the way not long after I fall asleep on the couch and have been doing so this past week but hopefully we are both on the mend soon and I will be back posting normally again.

Teresa I am sure the Girls would luv Sugar too and especially because Sugar has such good manners. They are both flacked out on the couch at the moment with the air-con going lapping it up as it's 34deg' out there at the moment with storms all around us but no sign of rain yet much to our disappointment.

That's fantastic that you have entered Sugar into the competition in February, can't wait to hear how everything goes.

Our Girls we both adopted from the RSPCA when they were 3 years old each and they are both 2 years apart in age. Lucy is now 9 and Lexi is 7. They have been really good with the training I have given them over the years and they listen well and do all they can do to please me; Lucy was easy to train because of her easy going nature and she never leaves my side; Lexi on the other hand took a lot more to train as she was adopted with behavioural issues and it took us a good year to get her to wag her tail and play with toys, give us cuddles or eye contact; we have come to the conclusion she must have had a very bad owner until we adopted her as she used to show teeth and bite us if we tied to pick her up or tell her off and now she is just the sweetest thing and we are impressed with how far she has come and is really part of the family now.

Nev that a fantastic group of crosses you did; so glad you were able to finally attach some pictures; the colours in your crosses are very lovely.

Anyway must head off and get dishes out of the way before it gets too late.

Trish

I haven't been able to get on the lap top for a while...
my in laws have the keys to the new villa but are waiting for their house hold effects to be delivered before they more in.
So it could be another couple of weeks before they can settle in to their new home.

I managed to get some weeding done, my Father in law helped but his idea of weeding the garden meant I lost quite a few plants that just needed dead heading - or I was leaving to gather seed from.

Trish, I hope you & Joe make good recoveries - chest infections can be nasty & linger on for ages.

Nev - hope you are able to post a few more pics of seedling crosses.
I enjoy seeing what you have wound up with, genetics are a fascinating subject.

take care all
Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa

Sounds like your in-laws have been super busy and sure you are keeping busy too with all that's going on at present. Moving is always so very tiring and it can be very stressful at the best of times.

Oops what a crying shame about the weeding and the plants you lost that you wanted to keep. My mother-in-law (bless her sweet heart) when she was alive used to weed everything including plants, if she did not know what they were then she considered them a weed and would pull them out. I remember this one time when we lived in V.I.C we had this BIG dead tree in our front yard that always looked beautifully alive because it was covered in this 'Banana Passionfruit' vine; anyway when I got home from work one day I drove past our beautiful tree to admire it as I did every day and was horrified to see that it was totally bare of vine as my mother-in-law thought it was a weed and pulled the whole vine down and there was a huge pile of it under the tree full of fruit and beautiful flowers still attached to the vine. I remember I cried over it that day because I absolutely luved the plant and all the beautiful fruit it gave us along with all the pretty flowers and to this day I have never been able to find a vine of it to grow and now that we live in the tropics I do not think it would grow here anyway. Joe's mum thought it was the tree that was alive with all the beautiful fruit and flowers growing on it and thought the vine was going to chock it to death so pulled it all down and even after there was nothing left on the tree she still thought she had done the right thing and did not work out what she had done until I explained the situation to her and then she was as horrified as I was LOL. I can laugh about it now but it took me a good few years to get over the shock of loosing that beautiful plant, such a crying shame.

Joe and I are slowly on the mend thanks for asking. I spent most of the weekend sleeping on the couch with my Bamboo pillow, listened to my body for a change. The heats really been knocking me around this summer so I tried to stay in-doors as much as I could, but I am not one for sitting for too long normally as it's just not in my nature so when I got a bit stir crazy I just pottered around the house to keep it nice and tidy so I have to do very little during they week other than go to work and cook/clean after dinner in the evenings.

We did take the Girls to the beach as we normally do over the weekend otherwise we would not hear the end of it as they bark to wake us up early in the mornings so we get up and go because we do not want to disappoint them; they don't ask for much. I did not let them go in the water this time as recently a 4.7 metre crocodile was caught off the beach in Townsville and we live close to the river mouth where we always see croc's, but it's the one's you do not see you have to worry about.

We finally had a bit of a storm and some nice rain come through over our place today for about a good 45 minutes; I woke up to it and ran proceeded to run outside when I heard it and collected some fresh rain in big buckets to water all my plants in our outdoor entertainment area to give them a bit of the fresh stuff for a change. Lets hope we get some more this week as we still need so much more; the catchment is only about 30% now (was 20% before that), level 3 water restrictions are just around the corner if we do not get anymore real soon.

I too would really like to see some more broms from Nev; hopefully he will check in with us sometime soon. I have not hoped onto the other forum for a good week now as I just have not had the energy but thought I would drop in tonight here before another hectic week begins; lots going on at work at the moment and just not enough hours in the day, hopefully things settle down soon.

Anyway have a fantastic week and give Sugar a huge cuddle and kiss from all of us.

Trish

Pic. 1 - Is of one of my Neoregelia NOIDS that I absolutely adore to bits that has been in my collection for some time now (picture taken at night). It gets this beautiful marbling all over and the less light it gets more green appears but still shows off the beautiful pink.
-
Pic. 2 - Neoregelia 'Purple Bray' - How the plant was labelled when I brought it many years ago now but I know nothing of it's history, same as the one above.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Once again I'll try and post although I haven't had much success recently and I'm now beginning to wonder if it's D.G. or my own computer that's the problem.

What puzzles me is that I have no problems posting on other forums and that's what makes me think this forum is the problem as things were reasonably good until it was recently upgraded.

It's good to see Trish and Teresa are still keeping the forum alive, however none of the people I've mentioned it to seem to have been interested.

Anyway just mainly as a trial, I'll try posting some pictures of Neo. Apricot Nectar (one of my favourites) These just show the changing colours in this plants as it moves through the various stages of its growth until it finally flowers and changes colour altogether Pic.2.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

Hi Trish,
those are two lovely Neos I am a sucker for purples but the marbling of your noid is really nice.
we took Sugar out to the dog park this morning & she had a great time with a few of the the dogs there.
We stopped in to The Feed Shack as we had run out of her food - we were going to buy more Saturday as usual but they were closed as it was Waitangi day.
I think this is the first year they have 'mondayised' Waitangi day, so we have a day off today & the shops are open...
luckily I had a sample bag of her food & that did her for Sunday.

Nev - that is a great sequence with Neo Apricot Nectar, it seems to be be one that is appealing no matter what stage of development it is at.
As you say there isn't an issue with you posting on other forums I would suspect DG is the cause of the problems.

I spent a couple of hours in one corner of the garden where the grass was getting so out of hand I actually ran the mower over it last weekend just so I could see the garden again.

I went in with the fok & dug out lots of clumps of grass & hauled out dead chickweed & other assorted weeds.

I know the grass will be back but at least for now it looks like a garden again.
I gave the poor hydrangea a good cut back, it was infested with white fluffy spots - mealy bug perhaps?

Chopped it back severely & took a few clean pieces as cuttings to start new ones.
It is a nice white one that seems to be very compact & I can use it as a gap filler in a few places - if the cuttings take.

I am hoping that seeing where I have been working my father in law might do a bit of weeding where it needs it instead of pulling out plants I want to keep.

Well take care all

Teresa

pics of what I did in the garden today

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - I still don't trust this site so I'm not posting long topics until it's properly sorted out.

A big "Hi" to the "Two T's" Trish and Teresa and it's good to see you both seem to be able to post without problems. I've been in contact with Brian and he was going to drop in but as he hasn't done so he may be having problems also.

Anyway, I'll just post a few pic's while I still can, and today they are in shades of purple as I know both of you girls like this colour.

Pic.1 is one of my early Neo. concentrica x ['Charm' x 'Cracker Jack' crosses, Pic.2 is Neo. 'Ashanti', Pic. 3 is another of my early crosses, Neo. concentrica x 'Burgundy', Pic.4 is Neo. 'Catlan's Leopard' and Pic.5 is another of my own crosses Neo. 'Blackout' x concentrica.

All the best, Nev.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Well the doc told me today I have Tonsillitis which would explain why I have been feeling so crappy all this time, coupled with an ear ache/infection and migraine so I am feeling on top of the world at the moment he he. The Girls have not left my side today and I spent most of the day sleeping on the couch curled up beside me.

Teresa pleased to hear you liked the recent Neo. NOID pictures I posted, sometimes I wish I new their names but adore then never the less.

I too am a sucker for purple broms as purple is my favourite colour.

Our Girls are very fussy with their dog dry food and we get them the really healthy stuff from the Pet Burn and you can really tell the difference in their coat and just the way it agrees with their body; we ran out the other day and gave them some other stuff for one night and it did not agree with them; but they are back on their normal stuff now and much happier.

The work you did in your garden looks fantastic, so neat and tidy and I adore the pictures of your pretty white flowers; is this your favourite colour in the garden, really pretty indeed all the white would be everywhere?

Nev great to see you posting here again and successfully loading pictures too of all your beautiful Neoregelias. Lovely pictures you posted of Neo. 'Apricot Nectar' and all the different colour changes it goes through in it's life. Yes Nev I am a sucker for purple broms and the one's you posted above are truly breathtaking; Ashanti and Blackout x concentrica really captured my attention. Neo. 'Prince of Darkness' below is a pup I got off a pup you sent me a couple of years ago that has produced 3 or 4 nice pups since and a credit to you.

Great to hear you got in touch with Brian and hope he drops in to have a chat with us all sometime soon; I would imagine his shade house would be over flowing by now with heaps of beautiful bromeliads and it will be great to get an update on what he has been up to all this time.

Anyway time to get dinner on; having silverside tonight with mash potatoes and steamed veggies and then off to bed early as I had a rough nights sleep last night and could do with a bit more sleep.

Trish

Pic 1 - Neo. 'Grace'
Pic 2 - Neo. 'Heart Music' x 'Concentrica'
Pic 3 - Neo. 'Prince of Darkness'
Pic 4 - Neo. 'Dirty Gerty'

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.