Plant Propagation , The Basics , December 2015

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I wish they had not taken the time off of here. When you say 17 degrees, I look to see if that is morning, noon, afternoon, or?? Ours was 11 the other day about 8 o'clock in the morning. It has warmed up considerably. We have about 5 inches of nice fluffy snow on everything now. Makes a big difference. Insulation.
The cat just jumped at a squirrel. Problem is, there was a glass slider between them. So the cat bounced off of it and the squirrel on the other side jumped down off of the deck box. Dumb cat. Yes, since it has snowed it is in the mid 30s. Bob had to plow the driveway to get the cars out. The state has not plowed the highway. Bob said it is packed snow on the highway. Not good. If it freezes tonight it will be bad tomorrow.
Do any of you have the Microsoft Windows Outlook mail system? Maybe I am the only one that does and that is why they decided to upgrade. Between DG and Microsoft upgrading, think I am going crazy. Well, I hope to be able to talk to someone sometime. jen

However, Firefox did too. I wonder if Microsoft owns Firefox, my browser. 'cause they upgraded everything. Think they are trying to drive me insane. jen

This message was edited Dec 18, 2015 3:40 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes , mine too ,, where I am , who knows ? Would big G , do ? here an update there an update ,, good grief ,, if right don't get you the left will , punch out ,,
My passwords won't work ,
My browsers are overloaded ,,
My mood does not exist .
My mind is too full
My weather is too cold
My seed cleaning is too slow
My Kittens ? are a torture
My oh My !!!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Hang in there Jen and Ju, after all, tomorrow is another day. I don't want to hear any responses beginning with 'frankly' either...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin ,, Wasn't that (Frankly) Frankenstiens nickname ,, ?

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

LOL that was bad!

If it makes you feel any better, my kittens are a torture too. I wouldn't have it any other way though. I'm amazed at how these two cats can have personalities that are so different. Thing is, they both have super sweet and super sour. LOL

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, am I glad to find you guys. How did you get here JU? JU, did you get in that mess where all of our lives are being upgraded too? It is terrible. I am too old for this stuff. Wadda you mean Robin, no Frankleys? LOL, I will try not to. The other thread is awful. It keeps going back to October. And when I get frustrated everybody gets mad. LOL, ok that's all the whining until tomorrow. Robin how do you know tomorrow is another day? Gypsi I think all cats have those streaks in them. I was beginning to think my cats have worms. Do you know when cats have worms they act like that. Running all over the house? But, again, that is their natural streak too. I would never be able to catch Spooky to take her to the vet to see if she has worms. That's why we named her Spooky. 'cause we have had her going on 5 years and still have never been able to pick her up or hold her. She is a feral and the Pet Rescue people never told us she was. Has to be to act like that.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, t have outlook too and it's all driving me crazy. That works on my ipad but sometimes I can't get outlook to work on my desk top at all.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I like the excuse were all old (me) , instead of technically inept , incompetent , uneducated , and inexcusable ..

Lisa , The Outlook ,,, is looking BAD !!!

You know this may of been a good idea ,all these communications ,, But folks , really now ,,, Quantum electronic physics ? good grief ,,,,

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

When outlook changed from Hotmail in March 2013 it was really bad, this just surprised me and sometimes it won't load on my desktop.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

All this makes me want to load something and it ain't a desktop ,, sheesh .. really

March , wasn't that the Command celebration month for Nazi's Oh no ,, .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Now Lisa, do you still have Outlook and they are upgrading today? Everybody is trying to upgrade us. What is wrong with us? Must be the Osteoporosis. My bone density test was minus 3. I am going to an Endocrinologist who specializes in bone diseases. Another dr. told me that you cannot see Osteoporosis on bones with x-rays. The only way you know if the treatment is doing good is if you don't have any new fractures. I am doing what they call a Reclast. An infusion once a year. I had my first one in May. Am scheduled for next bone density test in April. Medicare will only pay for one a year. No, there is no invasiveness in them. JUst x-rays. Spellcheck said there is no such word as that long one right there. Ok, you're next. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

it's a Hybrid , Hybridizer thing ,,

Fort Worth, TX

well last night's post disappeared. Chicks started hatching last night around 8:40, and keeping it up. I didn't lose them after all, so far anyway. Tricky stuff these nonhen hatches. About to serve chicky breakfast

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi your chicks hatching are the first good news I have heard in a while , I got kitten bombed last night after all the password resetting , browser resetting , I woke up to a destroyed houseplant table ,. Butter and egg plant , in five different rooms ,,
Spider plants everywhere ,, sedum all over .. Spider plants are all that will survive ,, Boom !!!
Little buggers ,,lol

You guys are probably too young for the movie 'Gone With the Wind' and Rhett Butler's famous reply to Scarlett's equally famous 'tomorrow is another day' line.

Congrats Gypsi, what a good Mama you are!

Thumbnail by Mipii
Fort Worth, TX

My rotti finds the sounds of chirping fascinating, I have the birds in the fishroom with a small doggy gate on it, so far he has been good about not trying to get them and the other dogs haven't noticed. They will be in the house until the stink is overwhelming I think (that is inevitable) Not sure if the other 12 will hatch, will have to see how they do. All of the pipped ones have successfully hatched. I am thrilled.

Thumbnail by Gypsi

Exciting stuff, nice little Christmas present. Good luck for the other 12!

Gypsi, congratulations on the hatch!

Ju, Tess races to see if she can get in the bathroom door before I slam it in her face. I have a spider plant in there that she likes to call lunch. Sorry about the mess.

Robin, the way my body feels sometimes, I would think I was alive when they were filming. LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Okay Robin , Is that where the Frankly came from , As in Frankly My Dear ,Rhett Butler ,? Cleaned and swept for an hour then planted Bamboo ,,
planted in of all things , A grow bag ,made from a kitty litter bag ,, lol ??? that makes about as much since as standing on my head in a snow storm ,
Yes and again Gypsi congrats on the little Chickee birdees ,

Fort Worth, TX

I saw "Gone with the wind" at the theater in August Michigan when I was in Junior HIgh school.Took my kids up to visit unmet relatives in 1996 and it had apparently recently closed its doors for good, based on the posters still hanging. It was a magical place to me. Saw Airport there too, and a lot of other films...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Let us see now ,, Gone with the wind , and The wizard of Oz , Holiday season films since , 1950?
1936 and 1937 were pretty good years for films ,

If you saw the original , I can take that to mean your like 90 or so years young ?
Well I still have a few seasons to get there lol TG ,, don't ask ,, lol

Quote from juhur7 :
Okay Robin , Is that where the Frankly came from , As in Frankly My Dear ,Rhett Butler ,?

You got it Ju! You must have lots of Bamboo, you've been growing them for years now. Make sure someone gets a pic of you standing on your head, because your grow-bag sounds like a novel idea.

That's a cool story about Michigan Gypsi.

I've been cleaning out an old Armoire to house seeds, the shoe boxes just don't cut it anymore.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin to be honest it has rarely been worth doing ,, At the moment I actually have none , zero that I have grown from seeds , In defense of my ocd ism , of obsession , I have lost six plants that I have started ,, I have the Green Panda and the river cane ,
Last ones wanted to grow a foot every few days , and I lost them from to small a container , I do that , ??? that is why the half sack bags from now on ,, once the roots develop the stories are true ,, their a monster to try and kill ,,
The two extremes here ,, exterminate and grow from seeds ,,, ???
Plus a dozen or two of the giants I have had growing ,,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

adding ,, Robin , you know how I lose plants ,, odds and ends and weird stuff happens to me ,, or should I say as to where I have my plants ,,?

I'm hearing it's a mixed blessing a lot of your bamboo doesn't grow Ju. Now that's what I call balance.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Robin sort of ,, I suppose your off watching The wizard of Oz ,,?

You realize the fellow that played Ashley in Gone With Wind , Leslie Howard was a noted figure in History , Short Career ,. But he is the fellow at the Table in The Petrified Forest with Bogart and a new Actress Named Bette Davis ,,
Buff ,, Buff ,,, I will quit now before I start singing ,,, like munchkins .. lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You guys are so funny. Congrats Gypsi, lets hope the rest of them pop out. Good for you. JU, are you saying the kittens did that to all of your houseplants? Those little devils!! That's awful. I love all the movies you were naming. But, never saw the originals. JU, did you lose the black bamboo? Gosh, I hope not. Maybe when you get them going you should send the plants to me to babysit for you. LOL, no, I don't think so. A few years ago I would say sure, I'll do it. Not now. Nice to see a new thread going. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Had two sprout and croak gone Jen ,,
You know my favorite film of all time I cannot find ,,

It is : drum roll maestro Bugs Bunny doing Gee Whiz-Whilkins-Golly Gee on the Guitar !!! lol
Nothing to do with Propagation ,, except laughing to vegie ville

Oh Robin ,, say goodnight to Vivian and Judy And ;Those Happy little Bluebirds ,!!!

Lol, I'm cleaning seeds Ju...speaking of chicks, I like Foghorn Leghorn, "you're too short boy, all the good ones go right over your head"...lol.

Yeah, that one still makes me chuckle.

Good night John boy.

Reading these posts gives me the Warm and Fuzzies. It sure is obvious you guys have been friends for a while. It's a beautiful thing to see.

"Good night John boy" If ever there were a perfect post Robin, that was it. perfect! LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Except I am a short people ? lol I really thought those were hilarious also ,
A while yes ,, our right or left hands have become well acquainted , or both ,, lol
if not good friends ,,

Thanks Patti...I just nail them as friends. I've only known them through DG and decided I really like them, so I'm keeping them. In fact, you and hundreds of DG'ers are in such a category...

really good people.

Awwww, thanks Robin.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Have that Marshmallow Feeling ??? me Too !!! lol

Fort Worth, TX

There are some really good people on here. And the local DG'ers I've met at RU's are really good people too

What is 'RU's'? Am I too short too?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Round ups ,, plant Round up's get together live plant trades ,
Also it is the driveway spray in hands of one real mean dad ,, he he ,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

lol, Roundups Robin.

I kind of went cruisin thru the past couple of threads just to see who was posting on them. Found Nancy. Then Aydel or something like that. Can't remember her name, but JU knows her. Kitt jumped in and told her she was on an old post.

Next one was Nancy. Just back from Carmel. Trying to make us envious and working. I am sure Kitt will get her next. I don't post, just check to see who it is and back out. I'm sure we dumb ones are all driving Kitt crazy. Kind of fun when you see who is back there posting. Can't remember who it was but it was on one that started in 2012 by Critter. I don't say anything. I am sure Kitt can see I checked int here and then wondered why I didn't say anything.

Are you here yet Kitt? LOL, I beat you to it didn't I? Or do you come over here to the propagation forum?

Gypsi, how many more of those little guys popped out since last time you reported?

Made another batch of tamales today and that is the end. No more this year.

It is snowing still, think we got about 7 inches since yesterday. The ski hills are singing. They have had 2 bad years the last ones so hope they do better this year. ttyl guys, jen

Fort Worth, TX

Well the heat problem in the small incubator nailed 12 eggs on monday. I had a total of 6 hatch, one had problems and didn't make it through the night, and 12 failed the water candling I did today. The 6 that hatched were probably the farthest from the lightbulb when I got home from bee club monday night and it was 113 degrees. I am happy to have 5 living chicks, but my hens are aging, and if half of these chicks are roosters, I need more chicks.

I am not fond of glyphosate so it is RU rather than the confusing brand name Roundup. We had RU's spring and fall my first year, and I got some beautiful native Texas plants and a lot of starts from it. But this year we barely pulled one off in June, I still came home with more than I took. I do volume (had a bunch of strawberry plants come in the day before RU), other people have diversity. I need to lift and divide some plants this winter but not sure when.. I invite people to join but it does seem there are not as many members as there were in 2013.

getting a dozen more fertile eggs tomorrow. Now that I have a good incubator.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

How much more does it cost to just get hen eggs Gypsi? I know it is about double, but if you have to keep buying more eggs, it might be worth it, plus the time you are losing aging them. Will they lay this next summer of 2016? Well, they lay at 6 mo or so don't they? Can't remember. If that is right, then they should start in the middle of the summer some time.

Just got to thinking Gypsi, maybe they can't sex the eggs and have to wait until they hatch to sex them?? OK, I take it all back. jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.