Plant Propagation , The Basics , December 2015

Fort Worth, TX

First round bed in photo 2 would be my Shar Pei mix - he is a doll! on Death Row at 18 months, he was an owner surrender at the pound, owner was going to be traveling too much. I picked him up with about 30 minutes to spare, bought a crate on the way home. 58 pounds of cuddler.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Omg, he's gorgeous, what wonderful people we have on DG...I feel so blessed.

Every so often I miss one of your posts Ju. The photo of two sleeping kitties was not there last time I posted. Perhaps it's a cross post. Great job hunting down the cost efficient Population Control Spa.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin , clinic as Accident while getting pet carrier ,, it works though .
I was thinking the Gypsi pets look like a sleep in . no barking dogs or tired feet there , just a lots dog tired snoring and relaxing ,

Yes a lot of leavers here lately , nice folks ,, some stay , some go ,

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This format is too difficult for a lot of us to follow, so we give up - maybe they will get it fixed soon.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My home page and mail stayed the same , I follow from there , otherwise , I don't and would not know a thing , I'm not sure I do anyway ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, guys I went to the site where they discussing the different changes for and it was hilarious. The people they supposedly are the reason for the changes because they are the mobile people, they are really complaining. At least we are complaining to each other but all of theirs were loud and clear. just funny. I have a real feeling that Terry and Melody have to go along with the boss type thing, and whoever said it might be right. About someone buying it and changing it. Don't know if you, Gypsi and Robin and patti were on here but JU was when they sold it before, can't remember who to do you JU? Anyway those guys had big ideas too and we went thru a big change. Think it was not so bad as this one tho. But each time, Melody comes on and says we are trying to keep up with technology. We had to leave space for social media and also the ads most of us old timers don't see. The popups and the others. Wonder if they still have the option JU. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Forgot to tell you all, the pictures are wonderful. jen

The last major change was before my time Jen, I'm so glad you and Ju survived to talk about it. The young-uns do everything with their hand-held devices. I've got a really smart phone but, it can't bake me a cake yet.

Fort Worth, TX

I get all kinds of ads on DG. After 12 years on yahoo mail I never really see any of them. I do not appear to have the option to block the ads. They are turned off in my settings but I have a video going on above where I am typing, and a kelly moore ad off to the side. I will make it a point not to buy anything from a click through

Fort Worth, TX

I just dmailed admin to complain about the ads, the new format, and that when I click to go to new posts I end up at the bottom of page 1 of the thread, not at new posts.

I am trying to hatch chicken eggs and having a bad time with my incubator' not keeping a stable temp so I seem to have a bad case of grumpy

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is what I was wondering Gypsi. If you had the option in your profile to drop the ads. Now, it does make a difference if you are a subscriber, or a member. If you don't pay the $20 a year to subscribe if you get the option of ads or no ads. We used to be able to hold the cursor over your name and tell whether or not you were a subscriber. Couldn't do it now. That is good. Not our business. However they may tell you that is why you get ads. We, who have been in it for many years have the option. However I do believe either you or Robin or maybe both have been around for many years. As a member or subscriber don't know.l They can tell you. jen

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Back to the screenshot. Sorry.

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You can tell if someone is a subscriber by clicking on their name and going to their DG page. I'm not seeing any ads.

Fort Worth, TX

I pay $20 a year, don't see add this morning. Wrong there are still ads

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi . are using a mobile device ? I know you said with some ,
I don't want to say this here , reasons could be obvious
Type in Ad Block Plus , on your regular search bar and see what you think ,

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Gypsi click on your name, that will take you to your member page. That might be the only thing that hasn't changed. Lol I use an iPad and a desk top and I don't see ads on either one. In fact DG looks the same on both so I don't understand why DG is supposed to be more mobile friendly now bci can't see any difference.

Gypsi, try this first...
From the top menu bar select Prefences, that will take you to your preferences and select Ad Settings from the left-hand list menu. You can select or de-select Ads from there.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I still like Ad Block , Sorry business people ,, lol Yes ,, I am one of those ,
Take that to mean a quiet Garden reader with a loud typing hand , That hand thing just keeps pressing on buttons ,

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I use downloadable UBlock. If I get an ad, I just right-click on the ad and follow the directions - no ads on any site.

https://www.ublock.org/

Fort Worth, TX

Ad settings worked, I was in a different kind of settings before I guess

Ju, is your back feeling any better today? I've been thinking about you all day long.

Kitt, is this weird weather making it better or worse for you out on the road?

I sure didn't mean to hit that button.

Gypsi, it does look like you had a very calm and relaxed bunch when you took the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Robin, how old were your two kittens when you found them? The Yen and Yang picture was so special and sweet.

Even though our weather, much like the rest of the country, has been unseasonably warm, I still have the feeling that we're going to get slammed when winter does show up. We're right on the line which gives us the chance for greater than normal precipitation. That easily could translate to ice and it's had me a little worried about my hydrangea. I got it for next to nothing late this summer at the nursery and the poor little thing was so stressed I wasn't sure it would make it until fall. When I was at the hardware store buying glue for the cat tower, they had a thing that was much like a dome designed to protect plants from ice and wind. Maybe I was a sucker, but for eight dollars on sale, I thought I'd take a chance. The material is much like landscape fabric, allowing rain to get through while affording protection to the plant. It's held down by four of the landscape spike thingies; they remind me of heavy plastic tent pegs. You're supposed to cover your plant and leave it on all winter. I covered the hydrangea today. I think that was a mistake and will probably take it off tomorrow morning and wait until we actually have bad weather forecast before reinstalling. It's really easy to put on. Has anyone else had any experience with this or did I just waste my money?

Note to anyone losing posts: I had a dash in this post and it wouldn't go through. I went back to the original post and removed the dash and Now it looks like it will go through properly. Just an FYI

Fort Worth, TX

I don't get much severe weather but when ice is forecast with below normal temps I have stock tanks, buckets, trashcans and etc that go on with leaves or mulch piled at base. I take them off when the stuff melts, usually 3 or 4 days. However something that would let moisture thru and you could leave on all winter does sound good.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Patti Back feels better , did cleaning for a while today ,
That device sounds good ,

Ju, glad to hear your back is feeling better. My ex is a chiropractor and I am so glad we stayed friends. LOL

I cleaned today too. Tucker is still shedding like crazy. It looked as if the dog hair was propagating.

Thanks to both you and Gypsi for your comments on the dome. This previous summer is the first time I have ever gardened and I have so much to learn. I do have about 4 inches plus of leaves around the base of the hydrangea, but I was really worried about the wind too. I live directly across the street from a river and a park so I really don't have any type of windbreak. The idea of using a trashcan or similar item never occurred to me. Of course, with the 60 mph winds we get here, a few bricks on top would be required. I'm not even sure the stakes will hold the cover on. Luckily, I have lots of spare bricks. Now to figure out how to attach them.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I just finished this . a couple more screws and a little paint it would look better ,,as long it works , i'm good , oh Boy ,,!!! My very own compost and mulch!!!
Last one is the Bites

Patti wind gets "too much" here also ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I just typed another post and put a hyphen in it. It disappeared. I went back to the original post and removed it and then hit the preview button again. It went through without a problem so at least part of the problem with disappearing posts has to do with the hyphen character.

Yes Patti, your dome sounds good. I think the cats I rescued were teenagers...well behaved teenagers that were thankful for a loving home.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't understand. Those pictures you have on your last post up there JU are the only ones on here. Robin and Gypsi were talking about them but there were no pictures. I had them before. Glad you don't have ads any more Gypsi. They are so annoying.

And what Lisa said about the mobiles etc. aren't getting anything different than we had before is hilarious. They make such a big deal of keeping up with technology and nothing. Gotta run, Bob said he is bring me dinner. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I just cannot figure out What or how they have this site changed. I think it is so funny how they thought it really had to be changed for the new technology, mobiles, etc. and Lisa said she gets the same on both her mobile and ipad. Think they just want to wake us all up??

Well, Bob has gone to bed. And Candy too. As soon as he says he is going to bed, she jumps up to get in her crate so he can put her to bed. I got such a kick out of Gypsi's dogs. They all had their beds and I'll bet they sleep in the same one every night. So cute. She really has her hands full. Will ttyl, jen

Fort Worth, TX

Actually 4 of mine sleep in crates, only the biggest and oldest is loose at night, my female would either be on my bed or tripping me up if I went to the bathroom. The younger 2 males think that the counter is the source of all goodies. Camelo could be loose and has before, he sleeps in his bed, but it causes jealousy issues with the other 3. So we all have a night-night treat and go to our crate for our biscuit and rawhide bone. (rawhide bones are only allowed in the crate, my female likes to corner the market and she will seriously go after the boys if they defend their bones.)

hands are full Eggs need moved to a bigger bator and I have to go look at a pond, have a good day.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

going to plant some of the ginger in my 55 gallon indoor "greenhouse" to see how it does. that's my propagation bit for the evening.

Beautiful evening, fire in the woodstove, dinner in the pressure cooker with lots of fresh spices and fresh cut ginger and butternut squash and tomatoes and onions and sage#3 homemade sausage and tiny pieces of serrano peppers and turmeric and did I mention the ginger slices and organic brown rice and red quinoa and it is almost done. Then I have to build the 2nd incubator, lol. All of the old hens have been moved to the coop on the lot, it is easier to winterize, not as well protected from weasels but weasels are May predators and I haven't seen one in 3 years Now for dinner and the incubator project.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Eggs look delicious ,, Old Hens will get me for that though , protecting the Chicks ,,
Herbs sound delightful , wish I was there (powdering Catnip a while ago was as close as I came )

Then there was the cat in the hat , and what happens here ,
The Cat in the Lap ,
Sounds like the old gang before hearing aids (and yes , sometimes I hear that way ,of course I always did , soo eh ,, what ever ) lol

Thumbnail by juhur7

I love my pressure cooker. I understand why people used to be afraid of them; I think it was for good reason sometimes. The newer ones have so many safety features, I feel quite comfortable when using them. I have three. My oldest is close to 40 years old and the gasket wore out. I was unable to find a replacement, so I bought a second pressure cooker as a replacement. Wouldn't you know, I was digging through a kitchen drawer one day, cleaning it out, and at the very bottom I found a rubber gasket for the first one. I thought I had purchased an extra. Surprisingly, that gasket was as flexible as the day I bought it. I had held onto the pot because it was stainless steel and a wonderful size so I would use it on my stovetop even though I couldn't use it as a pressure cooker anymore. Once I found the gasket, I was back in business, but now I had two, although they are different sizes. Then, about a year ago I received an electic one as a gift. I think the name of it is Instapot. It has a bunch of functions, including making yogurt and being used as a slow cooker. So far, I have only used it for pressure cooking. The case of the propagating pressure cookers. LOL

The pictures of your incubator, gypsi, took me right back to the fourth grade when we hatched baby chicks. That was so much fun.

Nice picture of your kitten, Ju. Two minutes ago, I could've snapped one of those from here with an adult cat. However, I just had to toss her off my lap. I shifted in my chair and she bit me. I'm not putting up with that crap. I have a horrible sinus headache and I'm not in the best mood anyway. I don't need Mynx acting out. I thought I had that biting habit broken. I wish I knew what her problem was/is. She just went over and started provoking the dog. Well, here comes Tess. I think I'll turn the lights out and see if we can all go back to sleep.

Quote from Gypsi :
lots of fresh spices and fresh cut ginger and butternut squash and tomatoes and onions and sage#3 homemade sausage and tiny pieces of serrano peppers and turmeric and did I mention the ginger slices and organic brown rice and red quinoa and it is almost done.

YUM!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

well you guys, wondered where you were. I really am beginning to figure this darned thing out. This site. Boy, when they decide to change things, they really make a mess don't they?

Ju, which cat is that? the last picture?

I used to use a pressure cooker for almost everything. One day I was having people for dinner and making chili. The fuse blew and I had chili all over the ceiling. What a mess. But, I know what you mean. Have used a crockpot for the last 20 or more years. And now Bob does almost all the cooking so I don't even worry about it. He does like the crockpot too. Has used the pressure cooker also, and bought another. Don't know why, same size etc. as the one we had. Gotta run, see you all later. How are the tamales coming Robin? On my 4th batch. jen

I'm glad someone has it figured out. I'm still struggling and finally determined that the best way for me to figure things out was to go into my info at the top of the page and click on the threads I had posted on. Neither the homepage nor my watched threads are updating. My memory is like a sieve so I can't remember the names to the various threads or even the forum they are on sometimes. (Sigh)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen Last cat is camo , the 14 yr old ,,
this guy

Thumbnail by juhur7

It is a whopping 17 degrees outside; the sun is shining brightly. Looks are deceiving. Tess, the cat with the long heavy coat crawled into my lap a few minutes ago. She must've touched my nose or forehead with hers at least eight times so far. I keep my thermostat at 68 and I can feel that her little feet are cold through my sweats. I offered to get her booties but she declined. LOL

Cardinals and chickadees at the birdfeeders so far this morning.

Stay warm everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.