Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

As anything you feel or have a notion about , post it here ,,

Here is an old Geranium with some Brown thumb behind it ,,
and a pretty happy Croton ,

Came from Here ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1409390/

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for starting a new thread. Let's talk about this warm weather we are having, and the effect it is having on outdoor plants. My Hydrangeas are re-leafing, not a good thing, as the new leaves will freeze and look crappy this spring - same thing happened last fall.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am seeing a few Peony thinking about that )sprouting ,
Bamboo is green instead of Brown ,
Parsley is Green and Growing ,
annual Pansy ,still trying to bloom ,
Apple trees still have green leaves ,,
Very strange for now ,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, we are getting rain instead of snow. Suppose to be 54 tomorrow. a week or so ago it was 11 degrees. Now 54? Don't know, might be a repeat of last year when I was thinking about planting seeds in February instead of April. I talked myself out of it, and might as well have. But, you never know. I don't have the nerve, or the room if they get big. Might try it this year and go ahead and put them outside and if they freeze, just replant in April like i would have anyway.

OK, we dropped the cat talk, but I do have to ask JU one thing. What is your paypal address so I can send the money for the cats I started. Send it to me dmail if you want. Jen

Fort Worth, TX

oh let's see, my hydrangeas and the peonies still stuck in pots are not leaving out, but we will be over 70 on friday so who knows what is coming next

I want to start geraniums but I might keep things too wet, and I need to go buy perlite.

and I bought a big ginger root at the store on saturday night. I failed miserably at growing ginger last winter, anyone have any experience? I kept it kind of dry last winter and it sprouted but just dried up. need to take photos of the aquarium terrarium in the fish room tomorrow.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Before there were animal shelters, there was just someone with a cardboard box of kittens, in front of the grocery store on Saturday afternoon. It worked great, and it's almost Christmas...

Gypsi, in your zone, you should just be able to dig a hole and plant the ginger root on its side - will sprout in the spring, when it warms up and begins to rain regularly. That's the way I planted it in NW Florida.

Juhur, what type of bamboo do you have? I want some if it's the clumping type. If you want to trade, dmail me and let's see if I have something you want.

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I won't swear to it because it registered subconsciously, but I really think my serviceberry tree is starting to get lots of buds. I will go out after the sun comes up and really check. I keep telling the universe "say it isn't so!".

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kay Divide in spring is my Clumping type , Fargesia , the other is River Cane , I could not get many seeds to germinate or three small plants to grow
I will try again I always do

Jur, I can't grow anything from seed - that's Deb's expertise. I want plant starts. Thanks for your response - I will find some one day.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh ,, Hi Kay , If their doing enough runners culms , clumpers do that also , We can back to this in spring ,
Last time and first time growing from seed . my biggest mistake , besides the few that germinated and grew , was to small a space or pot , container , They can grow , or sprout from seed and grow a foot overnight the first few weeks ,
Zoom room , what they have to have ,
I just got some more Fargesia to try . I have bg growing bag behind a table . to toss then into ,

Springtime and a shady place ,to start ,

Thanks, Jur. Make me a list of plants you are looking for in trade, so that I can get the selected plant going for you, if we decide to trade.

if anyone else has tropicals to trade, post your list here - what you have, what you want - winter is a great time to propagate via cuttings or soil layering.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Gypsi, I failed at growing Ginger too, they need a humid environment. My furnace made things nice and toasty but too dry for Zingiber.

Fort Worth, TX

I think I am going to try to grow it in the aquarium I am converting into an aquaponic terrarium of sorts. I heat with a woodstove, but the fish room is the most humid I have and I will take pics later.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I had a few dry plums hanging on a tree , I had two sinkers and three floaters in a glass , sooo I Deno to the crisper them .

I don't have much luck at this , Did get a few plum tree cutting to root once though , They died shortly after ,,
I keep trying though ,

That sounds like a good plan Gypsi, good luck this time!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it does sound good .. So does the Ginger (good Cookies , Bread )

If anyone reading here would like ; I have Cutleaf Coneflower culm and runners ,
My Christmas gift to Bees , If you would like say , their yours

Fort Worth, TX

now North Texas and tree rooting is good. Roses too as long as they are heritage varieties.

In November or december cut about a foot piece off your chosen tree or rosebush. should be not larger than pinky finger probably. Strip leaves off bottom 6 inches, stick in pencil hole in the ground 6 inches deep, leave til spring. When you have leaves, gently dig up and either pot or transplant, or just leave it where it is if you put it where you wanted it. I have had very good luck with willow trees, abelia shrubs, queen elizabeth roses (old variety not a graft). Have not tried peach trees but currently I sure wouldn't risk it.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I do not have any peaches after I lost my last grafted branch , I will grow more , one small Japanese Apricot is all there ,
Lots of prunus as plums , two purple types two red types and a yellow
When i try Gala Apples I will try the top branches of the granny smith apple tree on some similar Rootstock , Those apples are not that good ,,

I have two Pyrus ,(pears , I will try grafting on to the non producing , from the Asian pear that does ,
I have to keep up with the fruiting though , trees produce so much they kill theirself or won't produce hardly any fruit for a few years ,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here are some propagation things

1 apple for grafting
2 Wild winter sow bed
3 pear for grafting
4 Giant red Plum pits to sprout

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Do any of you see any dates on our posts here? Did admin change the format again, or is it my computer messing up? Jen maybe me.

Admin is changing some things, expect things to be a little whacky for a little bit.

I wondered what happened - I sure don't appreciate the current format!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kind of looks like the Garden Web Before Houzz ,
Difficult to read for older (like Me )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

here are some Cutleaf Coneflower roots

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

I do not like the new format either. And I don't know what a cutleaf coneflower is. will search later, have to run. Hope all are well

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi The Link ,

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/647
That thing about change , poof ,, sudden , to exciting ,,

I hope this plant will transplant next spring okay. I was given a plant and stuck it in the ground without researching. Unfortunately, I put it in a bad place. 7 feet tall potentially is very tall.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Patti , The Alternative , is to them twice a week .. eeek ,,

Say what? LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Patti ,, Trim them twice a week ,, lol , Well This format ,, My typing was bad enough ,, oh , oh ,,

LOL you're so cute Ju. At 5 foot one inch, I don't think I will be reaching up to trim any seven foot tall plants. I know you meant for me to trim them twice a week before they got that tall. Every year I get a little older and a little shorter. We will see what I can do by the time next summer rolls around. LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes , I know that "Shrinking Feeling" Nothing over 4 ft tall ,,
And reaching down , nothing under 2 ft , lol
Of course there are always ladders , Bun pads ,,

Lol, you're both cute!

( blushing ). Shucks Robin, we're just gabbin' about getting older. I just wish I were getting wiser too. LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL Patti ) Robin ) I was thinking ,, " my mother always thought too "" lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL Patti ) Robin ) I was thinking ,, " my mother always thought too "" lol

:)

Fort Worth, TX

I think I had those coneflowers in my wildflowers last year, thank you

Yes Ju your Coneflowers look good and healthy too, I like the leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.