Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 7

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Not to change the subject but my neck of the woods has left me without a job :-(

I got laid off Thursday. It was pretty terrible, I was really upset. The owner told me they didn't need two buyers any longer and that since I had less seniority I was out. I worked there four and a half years and really enjoyed my job. I guess God has something better for me and we'll see where he takes me. At least they waited until after Christmas...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow Jeff! Really sorry!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So sorry Jeff what a terrible time to loose your job. Health ins too I guess?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh no!!! Just saw this, so sorry to hear that.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah bad timing for sure but I'm not sure there's ever a good time to lose your job. We did not lose insurance though because were covered until the end of the month and we will go back on Darcy's insurance. She has good coverage and we had just switched to mine this year because my employer was paying a good chunk of the deductible. They offered me Cobra at a rate that equals our mortgage.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, Like COBRA really helps, "NOT". People that just lost their jobs really can't afford it, people that still have their jobs can't afford it either.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Having your world abruptly turned upside down like that is just awful. May God strengthen and guide the days ahead for you and Darcy and your growing family.

Any of us here can certainly attest to your being a hard worker should you need any testimonials. You do qualify for Unemployment insurance?
Please remember that many of your plant and planting needs for the near future are available and willingly given in the coming seasons! We'll load you up this Spring if you let us!!! Garden therapy always helps in troubled times and refreshes us. We're in your corner.

Judy

PS, I'm going to dmail Jill right now to put some cash money towards your and Darcy's dinner tab at Chef Lins Jan 31 so don't worry about that just be sure to come for the fellowship! j

Washington, DC

Yeow that's lousy news. Gotta admire your attitude.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

So sorry to hear that, Jeff!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm so sorry; what a horrible thing to happen to such a good person.
Perhaps you're meant to be a stay-at-home dad for awhile?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, Jeff, I just saw this. My heart is aching, but, I believe you are right in that God is in control. HUGS

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Aww, thanks Judy, you're so sweet. I read that to Darcy and she sends thanks as well.

Yeah Muddy, I'm not sure what God has planned at this moment but maybe that's what he wants. I'm looking for a job and we'll see what happens. The baby doesn't come until May 15th; I'm sure hoping we don't have to wait that long until I find a job. Darcy gets paid well but we can't live on just her income but we will do alright with her income and unemployment benefits for which I am eligible.

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I feel for you. My husband lost his job 4 years ago after working for the same company for 36 years. Six months before he was illegible for retirement. It was devastating for him mentally and he ended into a major depression for couple years
He was planning to work all the way to his seventies, we had to rethink things. The past 4 years have been hard to deal with.
I understand what struggles that you are going through and I hope the best for you and your family.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh wow, that's terrible! So what have you guys been doing the last four years? Did he decide to retire or find another job?

I have since gotten another job. I started two weeks ago and it's great. Way better than my last job. It was actually a blessing to get laid off.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is great to hear Sequoia.
Oh Orchidfancy that is terrible.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

So sorry, orchidfancy. It's understandably a huge stressor. Even adjusting to an expected retirement is a giant life change, for both of you.

We're so glad that worked out, Seq.!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sequoia, I'm coming here at the tail end of your ordeal. Glad to see it all worked out!
Orchidfancy, there are laws against firing someone just before they are eligible for retirement. Hopefully, you looked into that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.