Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 7

Washington, DC

Cute wino bed, Holly. Don't know that I've ever seen blue wine bottles before. Typically, red wine comes in green bottles, wine wine is in clear bottles.
Did something happen to Happy? She is Devon, right? One of my sons worked on her gardens, and that's ultimately how I learned about the DG Mid-Atlantic group.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Devon we haven't heard from her in a long time. She would get very busy and kinda drop out for a while and then pop back in when she had time but it has been a very long time. Not sure why.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

German Rieslings tend to come in blue bottles.

I love the bottle bed!

Devon has been really busy with her family and hasn't been able to come to our gatherings.

Gita, I haven't seen Paul in a few months. I'll definitely ask him to come to the seed swap! I doubt his SO would come. Lol Not really her thing! :)

I mostly visit DG from my phone but the formatting is all messed up so
the words wr
around like t
his and I ca
n't stand it.

So I'll be over at ATP for good and popping over here occasionally.

Washington, DC

Whoa, that's a lot of German Riesling.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm thinking of doing a small bottle tree with purple bottles - anyone ever see any wine come in a purple bottle? The bottles that my sister uses are the typical green for the reds and clear for the whites. Maybe I'll make a special request and have her do a whole bottling in purple LOL. Wonder what she or her customers would think of that :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder what would happen in you painted the inside of a blue bottle red???? Or you could just paint the inside a clear bottle purple.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I like the "wino bed."

If anybody has broken blue bottles or other broken colored glass, especially anything thick or chunky, I'll take it! I got a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight that I'd been wanting since reading years ago about folks using it to make "sea glass."

I'll be loading it up with glass and also with some not-quite-smooth rocks from the lake in Canada. I've already wire-wrapped a few rock pendants, but they'll look nicer if I round them off a bit more first. I think I can also use it to clean up some of the white quartz pieces we find in the yard... the embedded clay doesn't scrub off, but maybe grinding off the surface would remove the stains.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I can bring you some blue wine bottles and a few other colors to the seed swap. Would you like me (RIC) to break them up for you or can you do that yourself.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

What a weird holiday we're having. Son1 is recovering nicely from jaw surgery but in his second week of liquid and mush diet. Now Son2 has an infection in his wisdom tooth- luckily he can get them pulled tomorrow so won't suffer longer. (We knew he was due for getting them out) But we'll have two kids on milkshakes and mush for New Years! I'm actually happy they can do Son2 so fast so it is in the same calendar year with other big bills; might help with insurance reimbursement rather than if he had squeaked into next year and started all new deductible year or some such.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Holy Moly!!! Yay for it being in 2015!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yikes Sally I hope all goes well.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---do you ever wonder what the purpose of "Wisdom Teeth" is?
Why are they called that? None of us get "smarter" just because we have Wisdom Teeth. If you keep them long enough--they will rot in your mouth. SO--
we become really stupid!
If you pull them--they just leave a gap "back there"....SOOO????? Now you cannot
eat carrots or crackers cause it hurts.
Seemingly--they serve NO purpose--so they are always removed for no real reason.

Most people never get all their wisdom teeth in--does that make them life-long dummies?

My mother got 2 of her Wisdom Teeth in when she was 64. Was she a "late genius"?

I never got two of mine--so I must be a "REAL dummy"...
Something to ponder on......Gita

Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

They are called wisdom teeth because they usually emerge when people are past their teenage years and (sometimes) a litter wiser.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from sallyg :
cute, aspenhill!
My sister and BIL sent us a box of gifts and told us to play "dirty Santa" with the kids. Great idea!

What's dirty Santa?!

Dirty Santa = you draw numbers. 1 opens a gift. 2 can steal that or open another gift..etc.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean now; I've just never heard it called Dirty Santa. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

That is the game we play up at my parents' house on Christmas Eve. We just always call it the round robin Christmas present pile game. Dirty Santa is a much better name for it :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

For many, many years, we all have been getting together at either of my
cousin's houses--a week earlier than the actual Christmas.
One lives here in Fallston,MD-- the other in Warrenton, VA.
It was always a big crowd and we always played this "game" with gifts.
I think they called it "Chinese Gift Exchange"???

As of 2 years ago--they all decided to hold this get-together in July, still alternating
locations. They call it "Christmas in July". I like it much better for many reasons.
It is more like a picnic and no gifts are involved. Better weather for driving too.
G.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2016 10:27 AM

Sounds nice Gita.
I've heard it called that too.

We just started watching Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime. It's great! I kept thinking Why would we watch one of those stuffy PBS period dramas, haha.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Love Downton Abbey.

Everyone loves it!! Great characters. Mark stopped five minutes in and said it really makes me feel like I am right there as one of the staff. Trust me, he is not one to often make analytical observations about a show.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just love Downton Abbey, although I have yet to watch most of last seasons.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I got my son in law to hook up my Fire TV stick, haven't started watching Downton Abbey yet but have binge watched Call the Midwife and Doc Marten.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

So glad the new season has started. Will catch last night's showing again when it airs again tonight. Love Call the Midwife. Two years between seasons on Doc Martin

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Is Downton Abbey on a regular channel? Which one?

What is Amazon Prime ?
I don't get the fancier channel Tiers, I have Comcast Xfinity "Expanded Basic".
Will have to go to "the Guide" once I am "on"--and see what channel it is on.
I just watck a dozen favorites--but can't find some of them any more either.
You have to know the channel numbers which now all start with "8".

I miss the TV Cahannel program Guide we all used to get in the Sunday paper...
Now I don't even know where to look. I get the paper--but some days the program
line-up it is in the back of the "Sports Section"--which I always toss.

Oh well--i KNOW I am behind times.........G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I finally finished another large X-stitch just want to show it off. I have been working on this one off and on for 2 years. Not entirely sure what I will do with this one either turn it into wall hanging, frame it like a picture or maybe a pillow. I do know that I am giving it to my DIL Josh's wife Courtney.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

catching up...

Ric, I would LOVE some blue wine bottles and other colors. I'll break them up the next day I'm feeling frustrated about something... part of the fun, LOL. If you have broken pieces, that's fine too. Thank you!!

Question re. "dirty santa" -- Say person #1 opens a gift, person #2 steals that gift... then person #1 opens another gift? And person #3 can open a gift or steal... what? any opened gift? or just the one that person #2 has?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

When it is your turn, you can steal any opened gift. The person you steal it from then gets to get another gift - either from the unopened pile or steal something opened from someone else. If it is another steal, the person who got stolen from gets another gift, repeats until it is a gift from the unopened pile. Then the next number in line goes. I think we set the maximum steal for a single gift to 3. One year I put a paninini press in the pile and that kept getting stolen, go figure... which is when we decided to put the limit to 3.

Washington, DC

Beautiful work Holly! Lucky DIL.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Holly,that is exquisite!!! Beautiful work. Now I'm jones in to some cross-stitch. Put away the crocheting for awhile. I've made at least a dozen things for the grandies this year. For all the mistakes I've made and pulling out stitches, I've probably made at least fifteen. Hehehe. Maybe making a sample swatch IS a good idea to measure the gauge.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jan--
I have a couple beautiful Crewel embroidery kits I bought that I just "had to have"
years ago. Never got to doing them. Would you like to have them)?
I can takr pictures and show you.
My Mom used to do a lot of Crewel embroidery. I used to do some too.
Made a framed one for each of us with our Astronomical animal signs on them.
They are hanging in my guest BR where all kinds of things "PAST" hang.
Among the 4 of us-2 are Taurus, one is a Pisces, and one is an Aquarius.

I used to do a lot of Macrame--I know you all have seen that huge wall-hanging
I have above my sofa. One of a kind!!! I could NEVER get rid of it!

Made a pile of Macrame HB plant holders too. Some fancy--some plain.
I still have all the Macrame books with all the beautiful pictures in them.
For that matter--I still have a box-full of the Macrame yarns.
So much $$ spent then--and never used! Can't buy them any more!

My crafting has covered a lot of years, ways, shapes, seasons and forms.
I was obsessed with all this in the 70's ans 80's.
Now i crave to get back to my creativity--but seems there never is enough time.
Other priorities take precedence.
Here is an idea!!!
Maybe we should have a Craft Show sale-Get-together and bring all our creations
to sell? Just like a Swap--but make it a Craft Show???? I guess it would have to be publicized? Any opinions on this? Anyone interested?

None of these MEGA Craft shows--but a small one. Just for DG'ers.

OK! My brain just got inspired--and I hope to get inspired if this ever materializes.
Gita

Damascus, MD

Too cool not to share: http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/build-underground-greenhouse-garden-year-round.html

I just wish I had some land :-).

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is pretty interesting. Ric and I have been talking about building a Conservatory against the side of the house for several years (decades). One of the things I was thinking was to dig down several feet to give us more headroom. We talked about the fact that in our yard if we did that it would probably fill up with water. I wonder if they only work in dryer climates?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for thinking of me, Gita, but I have some projects put away that need to get finished.

Maybe you can do some of your drawings on these cold nights.

Volleyball starts tonight at 9 and I feel like carp.

That underground greenhouse sounds pretty cool. My niece posted that today also and said she has it on her bucket list now.

Washington, DC

Has anyone tried growing taro bought from a grocery store? Think it's the same family as colocasia or elephant ear. My 1/2 lb. corm was $0.74, a price I'd never find at American Plant.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What a great idea. I just Googled it and found this link.

http://plantgasm.com/archives/4407

Washington, DC

Great link. Just potted up my cheapo taro root.

Great idea Lisa. I've wondered about it. Also- do purple sweet potatoes from the Asian market have purple foliage?
I tired turmeric roots from the market. They make a thin, tropical-ginger like plant. I large pot full of them might be neat looking, like a small bamboo effect. I think they were slow to get going though.

My compost that gets kitchen waste regularly is going well with worms inside.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

About the greenhouse idea: Judging from the digging I've done in my backyard so far for the pond (about 3 ft deep) and for the line to the pond electrical outlets (12-18" as I recall), whether or not it would fill up with water would depend in large part on where I dug.
At the lowest part of my yard, where there is mostly smelly muck, the water table is about 12" below the surface. The pond is right next to that area, but the soil is quite different and it drains well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.