Stapelia Coming On

Decatur, GA

Daisy the two pictures are all from the same original plant I got. They are just different off shoots and now with their own side shoots. The different textures are interesting. I have several H. trunatas and they are very different. The intrigue never ends. :-) ^_^

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Very interesting, Helen as they do look like different plants. But pretty cool one way or the other.

This is a new one for me, my local nursery man sold it to me for four bucks. I do for sure have a tiny little bud on it. He just said it was a starfish cactus.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Plants do get bigger! Helen I do sympathize with your dilemma as I have a couple left that are at the point of requiring help to move. As they get potted up for stability they take advantage to just get even larger. My solution has been to find a friend with more youth and higher ceilings to take them! One does get attached to them after years of nurture. This cereus sp. Did not grow at all last year but reacted to its new pot this summer by growing 16 inches and is now at the glass at 7 ft. 2 in. Decision time is coming. The P. geayi grew another foot and will soon be in the danger zone also.

That gasteria makes a great looking clump. I'll be looking for one of those.

Nice stapelia, sunkissed. The flower will help to identify which one it is. I think all the plants look alike although they can vary a bunch depending on growing conditions. Good luck with it.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I have a cleistocactus strausii that's about 1 foot from hitting the roof. I have been debating my next move as it is already sitting in the tallest spot in the greenhouse. I'd send a photo but I can't get far enough away from it to get the whole plant. As mine is an entire colony, I am thinking of breaking off the tallest but... sigh!

Yes, common name for Stapelia is Starfish flower - unless it's a carrion flower 8')

Daisy

Well the cereus does well in FL without a green house so I can take it off your hands, and you can even come visit it anytime. ;-)

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Lol. I'll leave it up to you to get it there!

Bill

Awww...sounds like a road trip to me...I can get any plant into my Jeep..even got a sun roof if all else fails...LOL.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Helen, you know you can cut those tall Euphorbias down any time you want. I wouldn't touch the cacti, that would hurt too much. :) Just be real careful with the sap but you know that already. E. ingens sap definitely burns. I gave up on growing that plant in a pot because it demanded a cutdown so often.

Bill, the new plants look pretty awesome. I am not going to weigh in on the Gasterworthia discussion as those plants baffle me, but I was curious to see the medusa Euphorbia. They all look a little different. If it's one of the bigger ones (like esculenta or inermis) then it will appreciate a bigger pot, maybe 6 inches for starters? Or maybe it's something completely different, just speculating based on the fatness of the arms.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Baja, That euphorbia is in a 3 inch pot. All of these plants are in dire need of repotting as they came from a large nursery that was not maintained for quite some time due to the failing health of the owner. I will be picking up some pumice this week so I can make up a new batch of medium and will be able to rectify that for these few anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing what new growth will look like. Thanks for the names to look at. They will be a good starting point.

Better hurry, sunkissed, so that the top sticking out of your sun roof won't catch a winter chill!

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.