August 2015 Insect World Reigns!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happy August. Sorry that I didn't start this new thread earlier. Was on vacation and went out of town over the weekend. Big grasshoppers, butterflies, cicadas, dragonflies, moths and mosquitoes fill the air day and night this time of year.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I have Dragonflies everywhere! Such beautiful and fascinating creatures. For whatever reason, it seems like the mosquitoes are getting even worse. About five years ago, I dropped my favorite bird feeder and broke the tube. I love the Internet, as I stumbled across the birdfeeder and was able to contact the company and get a replacement tube. The tube came in the mail this morning. When I was cleaning out the garage, I seriously considered throwing the feeder out. I am so glad I didn't. I'm hoping the birds will help reduce the mosquito population. The birds are welcome to any other nasties out there too.

Thank you for starting a new thread, Betty!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Try bat houses for bats too. They eat a lot of mosquitos and help keep the population down. This has just been a bad year for them due to all the rain we've had.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Betty!
I am so far behind again!

Last Wednesday DD brought her MIL here stayed till 4:00pm. I fixed a nice dinner of round steak, potatoes and gravy etc. MIL sent us a thank you card yesterday. I'm glad she enjoyed her time here.

We took the kids to get groceries the next day and picked up the boys school supplies and a few school clothes.

Everyone but the oldest grandkid went home Friday and he stayed another night by himself. We went for a few bike rides.

This week I take SIL's diabetic meds down every morning while my cousin is in Sturgis. Then I also water for neighbor all week. Her husband is 100% after a serious lung infection. It's good to see him out working in the yard. She has been dizzy, but it's getting better. A prayer for her couldn't hurt.

We have to run back to Iowa City to get the replacement sprayer on our new rug scrubber. It's under warranty and it came in yesterday.

The Proctor and Gamble picnic is this Saturday and we just go pick up the product box. They have dinner and games, but we never stay.

The week after next, is the State Fair. It depends on the weather for which day we go.

I sowed eggplant and cabbage in pots the other day and got another short row of green beans in. I worked in my mosquito suit. Love it!! I also watered for my neighbor in it and came home and picked garden.

We have a full week of perfect weather altho we need some rain, lol! I FINALLY dug a couple of plants from the scorching Rose Bed and have them in pots. Yep, I need to be re-working a few flower beds.

Have a great day!!

My tomato patch has a critter. I have three ripe beautiful fruit that I should've picked yesterday. I went out to pick them this morning and all three had the bottoms chewed out. Rabbit, possum or raccoons are all possibilities here. I'm frustrated. The good news is, while I was poking around in the plants, I found one tomato that had either Walkingstick or praying mantis babies all over it. There must've been 20 that I could see and they were about a quarter of an inch long. I hope they are praying mantis. I believe either one eat aphids.

Jamie, my yard help, came over for a little over an hour this morning and started digging up the flower bed under the big tree by the driveway. He still has to dig out the daylilies and the coneflower, but I am trying to leave them in that bed as long as possible. There was an area approximately 3 x 3 that it had some sort of ornamental grass planted in it. It had sent runners out under the cement downspout thing, and he and I had to move the cement in order for him to dig it all up. Whew, that was a job! He had just finished that area and was getting ready to start on the north side of the house when it started sprinkling fairly hard. He put everything away and, as he was driving off, the rain stopped. Wouldn't you know? LOL

Pepper, I've had a bat house up for about eight years and it has never been occupied. It faces south and is up about 30 feet. It may be too high. I do know that I'm not going to get up there and lower it! Jamie is afraid of heights. I'm not and, in years past, cleaned my own gutters. In order to clean the ones on the second story, I would climb out the bedroom window and walk the roof. I don't trust my leg/hip enough now to climb tall ladders or do any roof walking.

Sally, it sounds like you have been extremely busy. It's always nice to hear from you.

I just got a call from a friend of mine who, after working in her garden, came in the house and fainted. An ambulance was called and she was taken to the hospital. She now has six stitches in her head. They did all sorts of tests on her and what they came up with was dehydration. Lets all remember to drink plenty of water.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Patti,
Laughing, not too hard to keep up with one person posting :o)
Wow,
I've never had the bottom of a tomato chewed out. I'm not sure which one would be the culprit.
That would be so cool to see! I find huge egg cases, like Styrofoam that are praying mantis. I rarely see a walking stick, but had one once long ago!
Good for Jamie. I've planted two different grasses and both were not supposed to be ''invasive'' and both turned out to be a problem. Grrrr!
I like heights too.
Wow! She needs to get a big mug to fill with water and drink all day! I'm glad she's ok, but would not like to be stitched up :o(

I am going to have to wet the ground to dig my Asiatic lilies out. I have been wondering what to replant there and was going to go with roses and lavender. Now I think I'll put the 10' tall Joe Pye in the back center. Easy to remove if I don't like it.

Have a good day all!!

Luna Moth. The wind blew him up, lol! I haven't seen one in years and when I do they are always battered or a wing tore coming out of the cocoon. Poor things.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Wichita got rain this morning – Along with a terrific electrical show and lots of thunder.

Sally, it just doesn't seem fair. I live in the city for crying out loud! Worms and bugs I understand, but critters?

It seems like everybody's on vacation or harvesting or has family visiting or something. You are right, it is very quiet.

I'm not in the mood to do laundry, but today is the day. Later!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all you busy busy people. Thanks for the link gb. Very nice of you. I have lost one of my threads I usually post on. I can not find which one it is. Crazy lady me. Billy you are a very busy lady for sure. A very good grandma I hope your gchildrens know that. Seems like you are always doing stuff for them. A very good neighbor too.

Woke up to a little rain and 5 min before I leave for work power goes out. Took about an hour I was told for it to come back on. lol. Luckily at work we had power and more rain than I got at home so I didn't have to worry about watering the plants. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Patti,
I live on the edge of town and have critters too. They roam all over town looking for food.
Laundry is my favorite chore. Doing dishes is on my hate list :o)

Ronna,
Go to ''your info'' and it will list all your threads. Unless you forgot the name of it....
Awww, thanks :o)

Pepper,
There's been a lot of rain down all around me. We need some of that now!
Thankfully power outs don't last so long anymore.

Today I need to get serious about working in the flower beds!!!

I made garden notes yesterday morning before we left for town. I have 15 plant moves on my to-do list, lol! That is just from sitting on the porch and surveying what works and what doesn't.

After a huge meal at Peking Buffet, we came home and had coffee. I shopped at Kohls for shirts and am thrilled with all of them. They are narrow on the shoulders and flair at the hips. And MUSLIN! I haven't worn that since the 70's. I got a few silky shirts too. Those were all sleeveless. I also found a few sleeved and two sweaters with the three quarter sleeves. I love all of them!

I also saw two other people from town. They used to run with my Mom and Dad, so I left DH on the bench with him, and his wife and I got done about the same time.

I went for a bike ride after coffee and ended up at another old person's house. She's 93 and still works her flowers. We had a great time talking and by the time I got home there was no time to work outside. It sure was a grand day!!

Have a grand day too!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Patti,

I live in the middle of a city (Lincoln). I see critters all the time, rabbits and squirrels running around, opossums crawling along the telephone lines (and once in my garage), raccoons popping out of the storm drains and crawling out of chimneys of abandoned homes (and, I think, pooping in my back yard). I've seen foxes, coyotes, and deer when I lived further near the edge of the city. I've seen deer using a flood control drainage system as a trail on the northern part of Kansas City.

As far as your critter, I've never had rabbits bother my tomatoes, just the green plant itself. My experience with squirrels is that they will pull the tomato off, take a bite out of it, then throw it over the neighbor's fence. My guess is either raccoons or possums, or possibly even a turtle (a friend had one who attacked his tomatoes, as long as they were close to the ground).

I just had my first good picking of tomatoes today - real, ripe tomatoes, not the ones that started turning red due to BER. Also picked a couple Carmen peppers that had a little sunscald damage, still waiting for them to start redding up. Am hoping that the diatomaceous earth will protect them from the slugs this year (after beer traps and Sluggo failed in previous years).

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Cybrezch, your neighborhood sounds like mine as far as the critters go. Only one that messed with my tomatoes was a little 2 legged one living across the street. He is grown with a family now. The pear tree keeps the squirrels busy and satisfied.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Cy, I tried the beer traps for slugs too. The traps worked only if you had a constant supply of fresh beer out there all the time. Um, no. lol.
The weather around here has been so wonderful this week. Mid 80s really not much humidity. So pleasant.

Cybrczch– you have given me something to ponder. I am directly across the street from the Little Arkansas River. There is a park immediately on the other side. I have another large park/ golf course five blocks behind me, Botanica is over there too. On the other side of all that is the Big Arkansas River. I guess it does make sense that I would have critters.

I laughed when I read that the squirrels throw the tomatoes over the neighbors fence. I would hear about it if tomatoes ended up in Fran's backyard! LOL Whatever this is, the tomatoes are still on the vine. Just the bottom is eaten out. The ones so far have been at least 18 inches off the ground. In the almost 20 years I've lived here, I have only seen one turtle. I never hear frogs. It makes me very sad.

Congratulations on the tomato picking! It is a good feeling when you can harvest the fruits of your labor. I won't say that Wichita doesn't have slugs because I'm sure we do, but I've never seen any. Of course I'm watching for black widows and brown recluses.

I am going to have to look up Carmen peppers. I did put crushed eggshells around the tomatoes when I first planted them but then I turned around a couple weeks later and mulched them. I have become very interested in hostas and it seems that Sluggo is the preventative of choice. I'm sorry it doesn't work. I'll be finding out here probably if I ever get the north side of the house ready to be planted. LOL

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the critters. I do love animals; I was not expecting to have to share, however. I have security lights behind the garage. Maybe if I replace those bulbs I could see what is wandering in there. I don't dare let the dog out – he would probably want to become best friends with whatever is out there.

Patti, for slugs use salt when you aren't expecting rain. Also sandpaper. Both tear them up.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Checking in to say hello. Very busy right now with pickling, etc. Gotta catch a bus now. Happy Friday!

Chloe decorated her own birthday cake with a horse.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Love the horse cake!!!! Great job Chloe. My granddaughters birthday is in August too. the 23rd. Here are some pics my daughter took of her for turning 12 mos old.. She does such a great job. Love this little sweetie so much.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Pepper accidently gave me a tomato plant. See that Iris in the front down low? That's what Pepper gave me, it's a named Iris. - pic #1

I made some desert dishes today and see the little green frog in the middle of the Aloe Vera 'Blue Elf'? It's the same color as the Aloe, maybe that's why it likes it. I'm gonna try to sell some plants and stuff at a garage sale we're having next weekend. That frog never even jumped when I was done, usually frogs jump off stuff you move. The desert bowls are pics 2 - 4, the frog is in pic #4.

Thanks for the well-wishes on driving a truck you guys. Boy, to be a year old again!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Gl, yes your d-grd is a cutie pie. How they can steal your heart.

No telling how that tomato plant got in there but glad you got one. You can always use a tomato plant. lol

Pepper, I lived in Prairie Village when I was in my early 20s. After stepping on a slug in my bare feet, I learned two things. Number one: wear shoes. Number two: carry salt. Those things are gross.

GB – Chloe's birthday cake is adorable!

GL – your granddaughter is too cute for words! I can tell that you're proud of both your daughter and her.

Will – when I first read your post I thought there was a frog in the middle of your dessert. What? I quickly went back, reread it and opened the pictures. Those look great!

I am going to be having company for 10 days, starting next Thursday. Amy lives in Portland, OR and is coming back because her sister is very ill and in the hospital. They still don't have the test results back on her sister, but her liver had gone on vacation. Things are looking touching go for a while. She seems to be on her way back up now though. I have already warned Amy that the doorbell ring at 8 o'clock on Tuesday morning. That's when my heavy lifter comes to help me out in the yard. LOL

I think there might be 2 tomato plants in there. The second one is much smaller than the first one. The biggest one has a few small tomatoes on it. I doubt if they'll grow and ripen before cold but I don't know. My mom makes fried green tomatoes tho. She is heck on my plants so after I leave it may even get cut down.

Hehe.. "dessert"! I tried to be sure there was only one "s" in that.. that's funny! Altho, I don't think I'd eat anything with a frog in it! If I get hungry enuff tho I just might! Here's the first photo when the frog jumped on my sand, before it jumped back onto the Aloe Vera. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw thanks ladies. We really do love her a whole lot!!
Will all your plants alway look so nice. Frogs included. I have some succulents that have been outside all summer. What do i have to do to bring them in?? They are pretty neat looking. I am trying to decide if i should save them from the snow. Looks like you are potting them up in those pics. Did you just plant them in small stones or is there soil in there too?
Patti sometimes I wish i had a heavy lifter to help me in the yard. Enjoy. Also enjoy your co pany. That would be fun.
For sure Paepper nothing wrong with a free tomato plant. Yum, nothing better than fresh home grown tomatoes.
have a great monday all.

All I've done with succulents in the winter is bring them in and of course water them every now and then, they don't go dormant. AND, provide them with some kind of lighting. I have 4 shoplites that I used to use, everything I brought in sat under those previously. Yeah, if you want them next year, bring them in, snowy conditions will surely kill them.

Yeah, it's all small stones. I had a little sand on hand, not much, and I sprinkled some of that on all of them too. I would have preferred to use all sand, no soil either way, but I didn't have the sand. There's no drain-holes in 4 of 5 of those dishes. They only need a spray of water every 2 weeks or so and it won't buildup in the bowls. I think the biggest killer of cactuses and succulents is over-watering, NO pouring. Cactuses get water even less, once a month and then just a few sprays of water from a spray bottle, I lose very few cactuses and succulents. Even just rainwater can kill a cactus in a pot, no drain-holes especially. I'm getting mine ready to sell before I leave.

Thanks for the compliments, Ronna.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Where are you going? Truck driving. I am so bad about keeping up everybody.... I just left my succulents outside all summer. Really did nothing to them. They really have grown loads. Otherwise I think they might not make it over the winter really. Good luck with the driving. Keep us up to date with everything.
We are getting some nice rain today. But man, is it ever muggy.... Dripping wet just waking outside. Have some stuff to dig up too. I will get it done...
Have a good Monday afternoon all.

Debra and I were supposed to have dinner tonight. My darm back went out and I had to cancel. I am not happy. I am waiting for the chiropractor's office to call me back and see if they can get me in this afternoon.

Wichita got about 2 1/2 inches of rain this morning. Muggy does seem to be the word of the day. Jamie is coming tomorrow and I can just point him at the north side of the house and say, "it's all yours. You know where the newspapers and the mulch are."

Have a great day everyone.
Patti

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I read, but flying by again.

Happy Birthday to sweet Chloe. Her cake is just adorable!

Ronna,
She is a DOLL!!! Happy first birthday to her!

Been on the run. The other day, we ran to the meat locker and got hamburger and jalapeno beef sticks. I have a lot of peppers to stuff. I also washed all my new shirts and hung them inside to dry.

I made tomato pie to use both tomatoes and onions. My tomatoes are getting a blight on the skin and it makes a slow rotten spot. Since I have so few I try to use it before it gets the whole tomato. Luckily tomato pie can be used with green tomatoes like fried green tomatoes.

And, cleaning out the freezer to see what I have, I found a container of fried green tomatoes...

The neighbors were home late Friday so I watered everything that morning. I was done with SIL too, so there were two chores finished. I made a bowl of applesauce with apples from my neighbor's early tree (Gravenstein) and picked the garden before it rained.

And rain it did on Sunday. We got 2 and 1/4'' of much needed rain.

I already got tubs lined with grocery bags for digging up phlox. I have tall ones that grew in front and want to get them while I can still see color. It had to rain first because the ground was rock hard.

Yesterday I got my walk in. Ran to my SIL's to see her souvenirs from Sturgis and weeded! I only had a couple mosquitoes find me. I also dug one last flower for the neighbor I water for and took it over.
Now I see all the room I had to plant. ''Somehow'' the weeds sneaked in and ''looked'' like plants. It was mostly grasses. They weren't there when DD brought MIL to see my flowers. I now have two perfect open spots to plant the Joe Pye Weed. I decided if it falls over, the arbor is not a good place for it. I think my lavender anise hyssop will work better. I have two tall ones that need moved.

Yep, I have a million things to do while we stay in the low 80's.

Have the best day!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Billy you are such a busy lady.... I have been pretty busy too. Digging plants and sending some out to some members. I am tired. Really is quit an undergoing. I moved some as long as I had them dug up any way. I have been wanting to do that also. Today is a very nice day out. Sunny but not to muggy. I do not like the hot hot days Just to much for the body to like. lol. We did get some very nice rain yesterday. Even a few bonus cracks of lightening. I think we are going to paint our cupboard doors today. They just really need to be cleaned up and a fresh coat of pain. Will look nice.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ronna,
I used to send out plants and it is time consuming. I don't do it much anymore. Shipping rates are crazy! I never asked for payment. I was just happy to share.
I agree, your cabinets will look nice :o)

I mowed and planted my Joe Pye Weed yesterday. If it grows as well here, it will get 10' tall. I'll need to stake it early because the people I got it from, theirs was leaning pretty far.

My neighbor has a broken mower. It hadn't been mowed for a while so another neighbor mowed for her with his big mower. It was literally a hayfield when he was done. He left his cart so her boys could rake it up. They weren't getting very far because one of them works, so we raked and loaded it for them. I've never seen so much grass, lol!

Today looks to be our last cool day so I got to get moving.

Have a great day!!

Sally, I have seeds for Joe Pye Weed. I had no idea it could grow to be that tall. I guess I should put bamboo stakes on my growing list for next year's garden.

Ronna, bless your heart. Although I haven't been doing a lot of digging and zero plant dividing, I know what hard work gardening can be – and is! I understand Sally's statement about why she doesn't send out plants anymore. I also know there are people on DG who have gotten burnt, sending things out and not even receiving the postage back. That makes me incredibly sad, because were it not for general souls, I would have a very bare garden. I have been buying seeds for WS this winter, but I also have received seeds for a SASE. I have received beardless iris and Siberian iris, simply by paying postage. I also know I have more plants on the way, again for postage. Friends and family are saving newspapers and milk jugs for me. And many people have given me valuable advice. Each and every person who has contributed to my garden, in any way, has a special place in my heart. My garden maybe physically located in Kansas, but it really will have it's "heart" influenced by people from all over this country. The idea that within a year or two, I will be able to give back – both in knowledge and in being able to share plants or seeds, leaves me very, very grateful.

Yesterday, Jamie came over and completed about one quarter of the North side of the house. We will finish that up next Tuesday. My plan includes contained gooseneck loosestrife, contained lily-of-the-valley, hosta, coral bells and ( can't think of the name of the plant ). Senior moment. He also dug up I don't know how many ditch lily bulbs. He got me back though by weed whacking my struggling Peony plant. That's what I get for not being out there with him. I knew he needed supervision and I was unable to provide it.

My friend from Oregon will be in this evening. I probably won't be on here much, if any, while she is here. I have a feeling we will be spending a lot of time with her sister.

I am attempting to transition my two cats from open feeding to two meals a day. Mynx certainly knows how to give the stink eye. Tess refuses to leave me alone. Maybe if she rubs on me enough I will change my mind? I don't think so. These two girls are getting fat. If I go out to water plants, I have two cats in the window watching. If they get much bigger they are not going to fit. LOL

My propeller plant is blooming. I tried to take a picture the other day but it was too dark. I tried again this morning; I hope this one turns out.

I need to go change the sheets on the guest bed and prepare for company. Happy gardening everyone!
Patti

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Patti,
I also have Joe Pye that doesn't get over 5' tall.
When I sent out plants I chose to not ask for postage. I figured I could absorb the cost. Prices just got too high to send a lot out.
With all the advice and friendship your garden can't help but be beautiful :o)
Our cats get 5 or 6 small meals a day. One when we get up. Half when we eat dinner. One around 2:00pm. Then some around 6:00pm. DH has them on a schedule. One gets fat. One doesn't...
Gooseneck can be invasive in moist ground.
The peony will survive. In fact. I cut mine back about now. I think I'll do that today.
COOL plant!
Have a good visit. I think I better get busy myself.

Sally, I'm taking a break ( pant, pant, pant ). Mercy girl, I couldn't afford to pay for postage for everyone! That's just fact. I can remember when it cost three cents to mail a letter. Those days are long gone.

Whew, you had me scared re: JP weed. And thanks for telling me about the peony. That makes me feel much better. When I watered the tomatoes earlier this a.m., I watered the dirt where the plant was. I almost cried. That little thing had struggled so hard to stay alive in all that shade. As I said, I had forgotten it was even there. I think I should put a ring of some type around the roots so we won't dig it up when will start making planting beds this fall.

The gooseneck and L-O-V will both be contained. I have seen long narrow plastic planting boxes and I'm thinking about burying them and putting the plants inside. I'll have to make sure they have plenty of drainage holes, but no big ones. I have had my fill of Invasive plants. DG actually has a forum about invasive plants and I have been reading. I already have a sweet autumn clematis. I'm so glad I found a volunteer, because the gas company killed my big one when they replaced my gas meter. Of course I'm starting all over. This is year one. Now I know to not let seed heads develop.

My demon darlings probably would love it if I fed multiple.times a day. I wonder if Mynx will hog all the food. I'm going to try it anyway. Great idea!

Back to cleaning. I still need to put fresh towels out and that kind of stuff.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, we had a cat that weighed 18 lbs. I changed the food from cat chow to chicken soup for the cat lovers soul. He lost so much weight. Poor cat had I know I would've changed food long ago. He is long gone now. But we had him for 18 yrs. He ended up getting thyroid problems. Poor guy he went all the way down to 5 lbs. A shadow of himself. Lots of medicine.
My yard is looking so much better. I have gotten rid of so many hosta by shipping or giving a way to friends. Really needed to be done for sure. Enjoyed doing it. More to do also.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Patti,
Smiling, I remember those postal costs too. I might remember 1 cent stamps...
We saved all our big coffee containers and we plant tomatoes, eggplant and peppers in them. Cut the bottom out. Plant your tomato and before filling in the hole, slip the can over it. Leave a good inch in the container for watering and leave it a good inch above ground. Then all you have to do is fill it. Water goes right to the roots and it's so much faster. The big ice cream cartons work too, but the coffee cans are better plastic and will last longer.

Ronna,
He was a big cat and so sad to get to 5". We just went thru one cat, the one who doesn't get fat, or sick, having medicine. He wasn't eating. His white count was up, but the vet could find nothing wrong. Gotta love this vet. His place is called ''Just Cats.'' He is a cat lover and does just cats, lol! But Zoe weighted in at 9.5#. I could tell he lost weight. I can imagine how light your cat was.

I did cut back peonies and phlox yesterday. I left the peonies up in the cat pen. I'll get them when they fall over and the cats can't hide under them anymore.

I was up at 3:00am to watch for meteors. I saw seven in half an hour and as many planes.....

Groceries and in to get my hair cut since I have $9.99 coupon. I need about 3'' off since the girl barely took any off last month.

Have a great day!!

GL – I'm sorry about your cat. After 18 years, that baby was definitely a family member.

I saw one meteor last night just in the time it took me to go to the door and let Tucker out. I understand about planes Sally. Living in Wichita, we have lots of them.

I just took my friend, Amy, over to her sisters house. They let her sister out of the hospital yesterday, but they still don't know what was wrong with her. When they couldn't find anything from the liver biopsy, they sent it off to Mayos. Doctors haven't heard back yet.

Tess is in hiding. She is really one shy cat. Conversely, Mynx was all over Amy. The several small feedings a day seem to be working well.

The long narrow plastic boxes are actually windowboxes I believe. I can certainly see using the coffee cans. As long as it works for the purpose, that is the main thing.

Got to get moving here. Take care everyone!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I finally got all the trim painted. The cupboard doors are done. Drying so they can be rehung. So much work. I am popped now. Looks really nice and clean so happy it is done. Just have to scrub the floor. Bathroom still is messy. I have the drawers front pained. All the stuff from the drawers is on our very small counter. Looks very nice too. Hubby is going to work soon. He plays his guitar every day before work. He is a pretty good player. I am off for the next three days. I was off today also. Enjoying being home. I get tired of always being gone.

I would like to get into the yard soon. Have some cut downs to do. I do not like to see the empty sticks from flowers that are done blooming. Made a very yummy fresh mixed veggies for dinner. Some turkey brats and a fresh cucumber salad. A nice summer dinner. Have a great rest of the week all.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've been busy packing up and hauling all my late hubby's band equipment to a music store in Sunset Hills, MO. Store owner made me a decent offer. Now 1/2 the basement is cleared anyway, but I'm exhausted.

I don't know when I'm going to find the time or energy to weed the garden. I put up 8 pints of pickle relish this morning and hope to put up at least 4 more pints.

We're already 1/2 way thru August. Most of the pears have been picked. I let the squirrels have a lot of them because I've been too busy to pick them.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh man I might have bought a guitar from you. But then you would have had to ship it out. My hubby love guitars for sure. Sounds like you have been a very busy lady. Bless you.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My husband was a drummer. Sold his vintage Rogers drum set, a Dynasonic custom built snare with stands in hard cases. Also LP Matador timbales, 2 sets of 3 mini timbales, and all the cymbals, bass pedals, and stands. My little car was filled to capacity, so I made the trip alone because I had no passenger space. I still feel tired today, but I got it all done. Now I need to clear out all his weight lifting equipment after I rest up a bit. I will have lots of space in the basement.

We are suppose to cool down mid week, so I plan to catch up on the yard work then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.