August 2015 Insect World Reigns!

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Ronna, I ended up taking the chaste tree back. After reading up and discovering how big it will get, I was ticked off. I had told the sales person that I wanted something about the size of a butterfly bush and she had suggested the Vitex, failing to mention they get 20 feet tall and up to 15 feet wide and must be pruned a couple times a year in order for them to look decent. I had no problem getting my money back.

I do not have that much yard. Like you, I wish I did. Because I have never gardened before, I do have room to add plants at this time. I have to be careful as to what I add though, because space is limited and – so is money. I don't want to pay for something and then have to replace it down the line if I can avoid it.

I checked on the hostas earlier today. Considering what they went through getting here, I halfway expected them to go into shock. They have not. I have hired a kid to clean the gutters later this week and then Jamie and I will get the rest of the newspapers and the mulch down. We were going to do that last Tuesday, but then I decided I had better get the gutters cleaned first. They are chock-full and I didn't want the gunk all over the fresh mulch. Normally, I would lay down a tarp, but I don't want plants getting stepped on because the tarp is hiding them. BTW, did the post office give you your refund?

Joyce, although I didn't post about it, I was wishing you the very best of luck on your test! How did you do? I'll bet you aced it!!

When I went to the grocery store yesterday, I ran into an acquaintance and was telling him I need milk jugs for this winter. Synchronicity at work – he had 10 in the back of his truck. He had planned on going to the recycling center later in the day. The jugs are now in the back of my van. LOL I must have close to 35 or 40 containers for planting now. I have all the dirt I need and 90% of the seeds I plan on sowing. If mother nature cooperates, by this time next year, most of my garden beds will be filling up. I am hoping at least some of the perennials will bloom the first year, although I know most won't. I guess that's why I bought seed for annuals too. LOL

I'm getting excited about finally seeing some movement as it relates to my garden. The hydrangea and the grasses will get planted tomorrow, hopefully, and the lilies and coneflower will get removed from the bed by the driveway. That bed will then have compost added to it tomorrow or the following week. I'm assuming Jamie will be here.

Pepper, thanks for all the great advice.

I have a doctors appointment for this back....got to go.
Patti

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

GL, now I know why you are always doing dishes....your son moved home...lol DH use to be good about doing his dishes when I worked and he was retired, seems as soon as I retired that must of meant he didn't need to do that anymore...lol I shouldn't complain to much he does alot, but he hates doing dishes. I am amazed how many dishes he can dirty in a day tho...lol

Hope your back is better. What do you do for it? Knock on wood I don't have any back issues sure I get to keep it that way..

Patti, hostas are so tough. They look so delicate but they are tough....glad they are doing good. I have too much land and I have too many gardens and I can never get caught up. I do believe you need to plant big splashes of plants, I was bad in the beginning of planting one of this and one of that and it looked batchy. I am trying to rectify that.

LOL about the test. The one I was dreading was depreciation and I did ace it, , then I took one on Ethics and I got way too cocky and I flunked it...so I immediately retook it and passed. I about fell out of my chair when I flunked it. 2 down and then took deductions and by then I was fried!! Spent today working on trying to figure out insurance what is paid what is not most of today, then off to class 5-9. Tomorrow IN THE GARDEN!!!

Joyce, I have had back trouble since I was hit by a car in 1965. Had the impact been two inches higher, it would have shattered my right hip. What It did instead was torque my pelvis. Over the years, it has given me problems off and on. Since I shattered my right hip one year ago, and had to have a hip replacement, the problems are more on than off. There are no ongoing exercises I can do to strengthen it. I'm wondering if that's right ~ I'm wondering if yoga would help.

I'm waiting for the phone ring, which may or may not happen tonight. Amy's sister passed earlier this evening. I will be getting company again a few days. My heart breaks for her.

I know what you mean about one here and one there. Initially, I may have some of that too. By planting seed, I am hoping enough sprout to be able to plant multiples in one area. I also plan on using white as "the constant" running through all of the beds,hopefully tying them together. This is another one of those hurry up and wait situations. I won't know until next spring how many plants come up and which type.

Amy just texted. I'm going to call her.
Patti

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Finished 4 quarts B&B pickle spears & a large bowl of salted cuke slices on ice in the frig overnight to process into pickles when I get home from church tomorrow night. I also hope to put on another crock of pear butter. By Thurs., I hope to be moving on to the blackberry jam. Then it will be time to start filling the dumpster.

Night all. Got to get up early to get the trash out before leaving to work. No rest for the overly ambitious! LOL

P.S. I did sit for a while on the back porch to blow bubbles for my kitty to pop with her nose. I'm not all work.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

glad you aren't all work... ;) we all need shut down time.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

She's such a character. Kitty was always cracking me up while I was there. lol

I've been busy at work. We're shorthanded in all depts. so I help out in paint as needed and rest of time I'm running around garden. lol. Paint goes on sale Thur so if anyone needs paint wait til then. $10 gallon and $40 off 5 gallon.

Well I have a new project or 2 new projects I found on the internet. One will I hope help me watering in the garden room this winter. They take a rain gutter and brace is with 2 2x4's and water is fed into the rain gutter. the plants are potted into a plastic pot that you drilled a hole in and put 4inch little holey basket in that sits in the rain gutter and the plant absorbs the water. Clear as mud right? The other thing I found is how to make a headstone. Now my Grandfather, made his Mothers, Fathers, my Grandmothers, and his own out of concrete. Course his doesn't have a death date, but Thru the years you can't read the headstones, so I want to place in front of them new headstones. There is also a headstone for his daughter's baby there also, I could never afford to buy granite ones but on youtube this guy has made some and they are really nice. He has made several and is with an Historical society anyway, seemed like I needed something else to do...lol

I took a nap today and now I can not fall asleep. I am not a big sleeper anyway but this is ridiculous and you can't do anything because all the normal people are sleeping! ugh.

Am I posting on an old thread? Kind of think I am. LOL

I love BlackBerry jam. It is the best!! ~ and makes me wonder if I want to grow blackberries. Hmmmm. Somewhere, I picked up a notion that blackberry bushes harbor ticks. That would be enough to nix the idea of growing them. Time for Google.

Yesterday was a busy day. Jamie planted the grasses out by the birdbath and he planted the hydrangea by the front porch steps. We did not get either area mulched, even though there is mulch in the garage. He also dug up all the daylilies and echinacea that were in the side yard. He is coming back over to plant the Smoketree on Saturday. He will replant the Day Lilies then too. Earlier this year, the echinacea looked better than they had ever looked. I'm wondering if that was their last two hurrah – they look beyond horrible now. Maybe they should be an offering for the compost pile. Because all the dirt was disturbed, any seed will probably not be viable.

The big tree is coming down today. They will be here at 8 a.m.

Amy's sister, Jane, did pass away. Maybe I already said that. Such a sad situation as Janes' daughter is getting married the 27th of this month.

Joyce, I keep thinking about your watering plan. I bought some of those donuts for the birdbaths and standing water. I wonder if that would be a feasible way to keep mosquitoes controlled. On the other hand, this is going to be for winter, right? Will skeeters really be an issue?

I have never worked with cement. I like your idea however. And as for not being able to sleep… I love being awake in the middle of the night. It's peaceful and the phone is not going to ring. LOL It is my favorite time, truthfully. Of course, you can't garden outside in the middle of the night. I hope you were able to get some sleep. I do know what you mean about "normal people" restricting activity. In my home, however, that's not an issue.... No normal here! LOL

I will be pulling these volunteers down later today. I love morning glories. Like the coneflowers, these are long past their prime. Have a great day everyone.

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread for those who haven't already moved. lol

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1404667/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.