Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: August 2015 Insect World Reigns!, 1 by Tuckersmom

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Tuckersmom

In reply to: August 2015 Insect World Reigns!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of August 2015  Insect World Reigns!
Tuckersmom wrote:
Sally, I have seeds for Joe Pye Weed. I had no idea it could grow to be that tall. I guess I should put bamboo stakes on my growing list for next year's garden.

Ronna, bless your heart. Although I haven't been doing a lot of digging and zero plant dividing, I know what hard work gardening can be – and is! I understand Sally's statement about why she doesn't send out plants anymore. I also know there are people on DG who have gotten burnt, sending things out and not even receiving the postage back. That makes me incredibly sad, because were it not for general souls, I would have a very bare garden. I have been buying seeds for WS this winter, but I also have received seeds for a SASE. I have received beardless iris and Siberian iris, simply by paying postage. I also know I have more plants on the way, again for postage. Friends and family are saving newspapers and milk jugs for me. And many people have given me valuable advice. Each and every person who has contributed to my garden, in any way, has a special place in my heart. My garden maybe physically located in Kansas, but it really will have it's "heart" influenced by people from all over this country. The idea that within a year or two, I will be able to give back – both in knowledge and in being able to share plants or seeds, leaves me very, very grateful.

Yesterday, Jamie came over and completed about one quarter of the North side of the house. We will finish that up next Tuesday. My plan includes contained gooseneck loosestrife, contained lily-of-the-valley, hosta, coral bells and ( can't think of the name of the plant ). Senior moment. He also dug up I don't know how many ditch lily bulbs. He got me back though by weed whacking my struggling Peony plant. That's what I get for not being out there with him. I knew he needed supervision and I was unable to provide it.

My friend from Oregon will be in this evening. I probably won't be on here much, if any, while she is here. I have a feeling we will be spending a lot of time with her sister.

I am attempting to transition my two cats from open feeding to two meals a day. Mynx certainly knows how to give the stink eye. Tess refuses to leave me alone. Maybe if she rubs on me enough I will change my mind? I don't think so. These two girls are getting fat. If I go out to water plants, I have two cats in the window watching. If they get much bigger they are not going to fit. LOL

My propeller plant is blooming. I tried to take a picture the other day but it was too dark. I tried again this morning; I hope this one turns out.

I need to go change the sheets on the guest bed and prepare for company. Happy gardening everyone!
Patti