LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Christchurch, New Zealand

we went away for the weekend.
I took Friday off work as we planned to travel up that day.
Hubby was feeling a bit scratchy the day before so he bought an immunity boosting herbal remedy.

I woke up with a bit of a sore throat so took one capsule.
4 hours later I was very sorry I had...
it made me very, very sick.
We managed to get an hour out of town & had stopped for me to throw up half a dozen times.
Baz had suggested we call off the trip right at the start when I was sick the first time but i was sure I had it out of my system & didn't want to ruin things so tried to keep going.

I finally called it quits and we managed to get home with only a couple more 'pit stops'.
By the next day I had recovered & we were able to head away to Nelson and we had a great time with other Auster owners.
We took parts up for the 3 projects on the go up there & brought back the rear top canopy for our plane.

And went flying with our host for the weekend as he also owns a Cessna that is airworthy.

cheers all - Teresa

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
Merino, Australia

Hello Nev & Teresa.
Its going to be another lovely day again and I am off to do a bit of shopping. I need a bit of potting mix to repot my hydrangeas. They are doing so well this year and are outgrowing their pots.
Nev. I get my orchid mix from Mitre 10 in Hamilton when I need any and I have found it quite a good one. I think its Brunnings but have already tossed the empty bag.
The potting mix I use now is Aus Gro from the local co-op and its a very good one .
I used to get a very good orchid mix from Bunnings In Mt Gambier which was just about all bark , but as with all the best things , it disappeared from the shelves.
I did try one of the succulent mixes but found it didnt have enough larger stuff in it so used to drain too quickly.

I finally took a few pics of the broms now they are all done.
You will see in one of the pics , there are a few brown marks on the end of a couple of leaves, but I think they are more from rubbing against the brick wall .
I turned the plant around when I moved it and found the marks . The cold damp weather has seemed to have made a few of the broms to stay wet at their base but I have stripped those leaves off to allow the plant to be able to dry out. They seem unaffected aside form losing a few extra leaves. I found none had rotted which was lucky.
Next winter I will be watching them and tipping out any excess water which may overflow around their bases.

Nev, we may be showing a few old pics, but its lovely to see them anyway.

Teresa,how awful for you to hav eyour nice trip spoiled.
It goes to show that we have to be careful of new medicines or anything we may ingest.
I hope you are quite over it by now.
Nice to see that you did get to have an enjoyable time the next day.
How is Sugar doing ?
It must be getting close to time for the new arrival. I forget when you said the pup woudl be coming.

I must move or no shopping will get done.

Hello Brian, how mnay new broms have you bought now.
We all said you would get the bug...lol

Trish , hope you and Joe are well and enjoying your plants.
I will add pics of my orchid flowers when they finally finish growing and open.

New pics of the broms and my front garden bed. The daisies look brighter in real life but the camera never seems to catch to colors when the sun is out and so bright.

pics 1..2 &3....the broms all clean and repotted.

pic 5.. where I sit in the sun out the front of the unit. You can see the vrieseas along the raised brickwork at the back on the right. The white look in front is because of the bright sunlight shining on the front plants.

pic 4.. my pretty front garden bed. sorry but DG mixed the order of pics.

take care and enjoy the sun
Jean.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2015 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi Jean - well the trip was delayed by a day but not ruined thank goodness.
We hired a car to get us up & back safely & all I could think was what a waste if my being ill meant we couldn't go.

The new pup is still in the pipeline.
Not born yet.

We have a couple of options, a litter that will be ready December, might be good as we have Xmas off when both companies we work for shut down.

The next litter is due February, and the other option is our friends girl - she has just had her hip & elbow tests come back as excellent, better than the other two...
and she is from the litter I originally wanted a dog from.
Even better we could watch the babies growing up over their first 8 weeks.

Not sure how long we would have to wait for a litter from Indie but that gives me time to save up my holiday time to take when we get the pup...

decisions, decisions...

cheers - Teresa

Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

It has been warm here for that's couple of days, perfect over the weekend.

We celebrated our little grandsons second birthday on the Sunday and had a day in he yard on the public holiday Monday. All the football grand finals have come and gone and I never thought I would say it, but I enjoyed the two Qld teams playing the rugby league and happy for the Cowboys win.

Teresa, nice pics from the plane, hope you are feeling ok now.

Jean, your garden looks a beauty with all the flowers out. What is the brom bottom left , about 7 o'clock in the first pic? Yeh you are right, getting too many plants already. Starting to think of a bit of an awning over the front might be the go.

Nev, the orchid mix I get from Bunnings seems ok, but the chunks vary in size from bag to bag.
I am starting to get some nice pups from your mate John's plants and things are colouring up much better in the new shadehouse position. I don't think the shade cloth will last as every insect known is living there and the birds sit on top and try to get to them through the cloth.

Anyway better go, first 3 pics are of pups. 4th I don't know, 5th I do know but can't remember at the moment.

Brian

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - We're having crazy weather here and while I'm still cleaning up the cold damaged plants from our coldest winter (in my lifetime anyway) and although we're only one month into spring, yesterday we had the hottest spring day in the Illawarra for 73 years at 31 degrees C. and that record looks like being broken today with a forecast of 32.9 degrees C.

I know this isn't that hot by general standards, but the sudden change from the lower temperatures is a bit of a worry and can possibly cause more plant damage on the other end of the scale, as the plants would only just be starting to acclimatise from the cold to the warmer temperatures and hopefully I won't be cleaning out heat damaged plants in a week or two also.

Teresa – Sorry to hear about the problem you had with your herbal medication. I know we always say and think “natural is best” but there is also the problem of side effects with that as well as pharmaceutical medication.

It’s a case of the old “what works for you won’t necessarily work for me” problem as well as the fact that herbal medications don’t go through the stringent testing and quality control that’s required for prescription drugs and over the counter pharmaceuticals.

Anyway, although your trip was delayed by a day, all wasn’t all lost, and you still managed to get away and enjoy yourselves once your tummy was cleared of the problem.

As for the new pup, I guess we’re all awaiting news of the new arrival now; it’s a bit like awaiting the birth of another child Ha! Ha!

Jean – Your plants are looking good and it just reminds me of all the work I still have to get through with mine. Having to cut down on your collection certainly has some advantages at times like this, you’ve finished cleaning yours up and I’ve just passed the “tip of the iceberg”.

I really like the colourful garden in your pic. 4; what are the coloured clumps, are they daisies of some type? Last year at the front of our place near the water meter I planted an Aechmea pineliana with a couple of little Seaside Daisies on either side and this morning when I went out to pick up the paper I noticed the daisies are in full bloom and there are two flower spikes poking up from the pineliana which the daisies have almost covered.

It seems now that when we look at potting mixes there are more and more different ones available with most of them bark or sawdust based. I remember when I first started growing orchids I would go to the local hardwood saw mill and just pick up a ute. load of sawdust to put on the floor, now it’s being used in commercial potting mixes all over the country.

I remember first reading about the use of sawdust in mixes and soils when I was in my early teens and a keen gardener. I read a story about a man called Mr Dent who I think was a Victorian grower of exhibition Iceland Poppies. Apparently he injured his back and wasn’t able to work or dig the garden any more so he experimented by adding sawdust to his garden beds and it loosened up the soil and made it so light he could manage to turn the beds with a small hand shovel while sitting on a low box. The recipe for the mixes soon proved ideal for growing exhibition Iceland Poppies and came to be known as Dent’s No.1 and Dent’s No.2 garden mixes. Just out of curiosity I’ve done a quick search on the computer but found nothing, which was disappointing as I was keen to see how good my memory was by comparing what I remember with any article on the subject.

Now with more and more mixes containing wood shavings and sawdust, we have the other problem of not knowing whether or not there is any CCA treated pine in the mix. I read an article which advocates using chemically treated saw dust and wood chips as long as you wet it more frequently during the composting process. This might be OK for growing vegetables, but it wouldn’t remove the copper and it could certainly be fatal to brom’s. I guess although the commercially manufactured products are more convenient, we still don’t know for sure what’s in them and are still better off making our own mix if physically able to.

Brian – It’s interesting what you say about the rugby league; at the start of the season I tipped an all Queensland grand final and although I hoped the Cowboys would win I thought the Broncos would just get there due to their past grand final experience. However, in true Aussie fashion the crowd got behind the Nth. Qld. “under dogs” and they just won by one point.

What a great game it was and the spectators certainly got their money’s worth. More importantly with this football code, you always see the players of both sides chatting and joking after a game and very unlike other codes which seem more like a war and sometimes end up with on and off field brawls. It seems although it’s now “big business” there is a degree of sportsmanship still alive.

Now back to brom’s; Brian, what is the brand of the orchid mix you get from Bunnings? And as you say, the size of the bark does vary, but that’s true in most orchid mixes except for the Brunning’s one I previously used which seemed pretty consistent.

I’m glad you’re getting nice pups from John’s plants, when they first went on sale I notified a few friends and told them to “look past the rough mother plant exterior” and see the new pups that were on the way, and they are all now reaping the benefit like you. The other members who just wanted instant colourful perfect plants and didn’t buy any are the ones I think who lost the most.

As for your shade cloth, you’ll be surprised at just how much wear and tear it will take, unfortunately it isn’t “white cocky proof” and down here they can occasionally be seen chewing on the edges.

The plant in Pic.4 which you don’t know is Aechmea ‘Pie in the Sky’
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=AECHMEA&id=437#437

It is a bit variable like most variegated plants and is also pretty tough and can take a bit of sun. When grown in a shadier environment it still looks good with a different colour green but still has good variegation.

It is possibly a variegated form of one called Aechmea ‘Pie’
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=AECHMEA&id=436#436

That’s it from me today and unfortunately there’s no pics today as the upload button seems to have vanished once again.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Hello all. Just in for a quick read and then off again . Its my day at the hospital group .
Its looking very cloudy outside but is very warm. The worst part of the warm weather is we get a lot more wind which does not do the plants any good on those extra hot days.

I just popped in to post the answer to your question Brian. The plant I think you are asking about is vr Megan. It looks a bit bare around the base because it was one with a very wet lot of base leaves.
Drying out nicely now and is a lovely stripey brom.
I am hoping for pups then mum will go.
Nev is right, shadecloth is very hardy and long lasting. My shadehouses at the old house were over 7 years old and the shadecloth was still looking good except for the magpie droppings...lol
But I liked having the birds and the droppings did no harm, just made a bit of mess at times , which washed off.

Better move as I have been out watering early and still have a few pots to do.

Nev, I do miss the large garden at times, but then I think of all those plants needing work as they got bigger and bigger. I am glad I still have a small lot to enjoy.
Yes, those pretty mounds are all daisies. I will cut them all right back later and get a nice show for late summer & into autumn . They flower most of the year .

Teresa, we will all be waiting for the arrival of the new family member later. As Nev, said , like expectant mums...lol

Take care and enjoy the day
Jean.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Well the temperature is 12 degree cooler this morning than it was the same time yesterday, no wonder the plants are confused and don't know what to do.

Jean - I have an old mother plant of Vr. Megan which has four pups almost ready to remove and I don't know whether to remove them or just cut away the old mother and let it clump up.

It's one of my favourite patterned foliage Vrieseas and what's more the pups can sometimes be quite variable and sometimes have different patterning to the original plant.

See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=VRIESEA&id=8869#8869
http://www.bromeliad.org.au/

Also, if you Google "Vriesea Megan images" you will see a good example of the variations possible

Thanks for the info on your daisies. Do you have names and are they available by seed or do you buy the plants?

Have to rush this morning which is just as well, as the upload button for pictures is still AWL.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Hello Nev. Just popped in to answer your question.
I bought the daisies as small pot plants from Mitre10. Seeds take too long and you need room to grow them, which I dont have.
Some are in the small Federation daisy series and others are just daisies...
They can be cut back anytime and regrow quickly.
They will get to about the size of mine usually.... which is about 14"- 18" high and about 2' wide.
They vary a bit ,but thats about the average size. Of course like all plants , they can surprise you and get bigger or stay smaller.

Off again today as the weather is still fine.
The pic is of the same garden bed last Dec. so you can see how well they have done.

Take care
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - It seems like it's just Jean and me again this morning I wonder what's become of Trish; nothing since September 23 I hope everything's OK I might send her an email just to check.

The weather here yesterday was exactly 20 degrees cooler than the day before and today's much the same and looks like rain, is it any wonder the brom's and other garden plants don't know what they are doing.

Jean - Thanks for the info on the daisies, I might see if Bunnings have any as they would look good between the brom's in the front garden.

Just a few pic's to finish with; Pic.1 Neo Silverado, 2 Neo Small World, 3 Neo Stairway, 4 Ne Sun King (Red Form) and 5 is Neo 'Wild Rabbit' from a grower in Fajardo Puerto Rico. We were having a forum discussion about potting mixes and he said this is what he grows his plants in - who said brom's aren't tough.

Obviously the rocks are totally inert and he has to foliar feed regularly but the plant looks pretty good to me, but I don't think moving them around would be too good for your back.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
shellharbour, Australia

Most unusual - No one here at all two days in a row now, not looking good.

It's a beautiful day here and I've been out in the garden all day until just now (3.34pm) and Seasolled everything as well as lots of dead leaf trimming and still clearing up plants after the cold.

Had bit of a scare last night with an urgent weather warning and threat of storms and severe hail which was just what I didn't need after what we've recently had, anyway it didn't eventuate and decided to go out to sea instead.

I emailed Trish and Joe and as yet still no word back from them, I hope they're OK and it's just computer problems or something like that and nothing serious.

I'm beginning to think I've either done something to offend you all or interest has finally gone from this little forum and its died.

Anyway, one of the other forums I used to visit is starting to pick up again and I've been visiting it and its good to get back to talking about brom's with the "old crowd" again.

I'll keep, looking in here from time to time just in case it picks up again, but if not, I've enjoyed your company and wish you all well.

They say all good things come to an end and although I hope this isn't what's happened, it's not looking too good.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Apologies to all my friends here for not getting in touch sooner but the reason for my absence is made up of things out of our control that have occurred and are why I have been absent from the DG Forum.

Yet again sadly we have had to say farewell to another friend we lost to cancer and it really took it’s toll on us as that’s two beautiful friends that meant the world to us that we have lost these past couple of months and has really knocked us around and our bodies needed some time to grieve not only because of losing another precious friend but because it also opened up old wounds of close family members we had lost to cancer and we had to give ourselves time to grieve, heal and rest.

Also my friend who was celebrating her 60th invited us to go out for dinner to celebrate my birthday that fell on the 28 September and although we did not want to go out and celebrate we did because it was our friends 60th and we did not want to miss such a bit milestone but both Joe and I ended up getting a good dose of food poisoning and we ended up having to see a doctor and had the Monday and Tuesday off sick because we were both feeling so unwell and it took us a good week and a bit to start feeling better and we are both now back at work. Thank goodness our friends felt fine as they ate different food to us but Joe and I had seafood so possibly from that or could have been from the food we had for lunch that day, hard to tell though but more than likely was from the seafood. Aside from being sick we did enjoy our evening and ended up at a chocolate shop for coffee and desert before the evening came to a close and the nightmare began ha ha. At the doctors we were not only sharing the food poisoning together but also our blood pressure and temperature were nearly the exact same so we had a little giggle about that given how horrid we were both feeling and we were both sitting in the examination room with our spew bags on our laps rocking back and forth in pain with heavy breathing thrown in there like I was about to go into labour; so we must have looked a sight sitting there together in between running to the toilet like we were both running a relay marathon or something LOL. Anyway everything is back to normal now thank goodness and we did report the incident given how sick we both were.

When I did get back to work I had a mountain of work to catch-up on as I am still covering all sectors as they have not found a replacement person yet since the person moved departments back in June.

Thanks everyone for your concerns wondering where I was and how we were both doing and Nev thank you so very much I checked my emails this morning finally and saw your email to us and appreciate you checking in on us and I feel bad that I have been AWOL but hopefully things will be back to normal soon for us and I will be back on the forum like the old days.

Since I have been feeling better I have been cleaning up all the Vriesea’s in the Igloo before it gets too hot to work in there. Today I did a big clean-up of the front garden beds and added in a bunch of broms and gave everything a water; I want to do some more tomorrow if I get the chance as I am trying to tidy up the back yard a bit and move some of my less prized babies out front.

We had friends visit today who are into broms so I sent them home with a couple of boxes of broms and big smiles on their faces; they texed me later to say they had already potted them all up which was great to hear. It was nice having visitors given how quiet we have been of late.

Hi Brian it sounds cold down your neck of the woods and hope you get some fine weather soon.

We have our next Bali Statue arriving in a week so looking forward to that; the green rock is very appealing and blend’s in nicely around the pool and garden.

Pleased to hear you got yourself a Neo. ‘Sam Smith’, you will not be disappointed as it grows up to be a truly amazing plant that will astound you with the different colours it can achieve when grown in different light conditions. All my maturing pups in the garden are currently going in flower and stop me in my tracks whenever I walk past them. The thing I luv most about this brom is it gets more and more beautiful each year and grows up to be an impressive medium sized plant that flowers for me year after year and takes a considerably long time to die compared to some of the Neo’s in my collection and in that time the amount of pups it produces is very impressive and I think the most amount of pups I got off the first plant I ever brought was around 14 pups it produced, but not all at the same time but during it’s entire life.

Pleased to hear all is going well with your shade house, I have 70% beige shade cloth over my Igloo and everything does well in there over summer; have not needed to provide any extra coverage as of yet and will avoid best I can as do not want to lose any of the lovely colour I have achieved with most of them now. Good that you have left your Vriesea’s were they currently are given they are happy, it’s great when you get to know your plants that way and not move them unless is absolutely necessary to protect them, I have the majority of my Vriesea’s growing in the Igloo but the one’s I do have out in our garden are doing well and as we establish additional shady spots in our garden I plan to move some more outside when the times right.

Your broms are looking fantastic and sure they will do well also in the hanging baskets; especially the mini’s as they do really well being hung high and multiply well when grown this way.

Hi Nev we have never been to Bali but we often watch on UTube the crafts they do over there and their skills are truly amazing given the very basic tools they use. We too could sit and watch them all day working on each craft and would like to go to Bali one day just to see this with our own eyes as well as visit some of the beautiful places there and stay at one of the quiet retreats over there as we are both not into noisy places and at all costs want to avoid where there such places where there are too many people or traffic around.

Nice Tillandsia pics you posted from the show; I just craft glued mine to drift wood and rock for our new water feature and sure they will do well there. Thanks also for sharing that beautiful Dendrobium orchid picture, what a truly stunning plant; I showed Joe and he was very impressed and said thanks for sharing and what a great job you have done for it to flower such an impressive flower spike.

I just gave Joe’s orchid nursery a spring clean, mainly the brick pavement to get rid of all the weeds and tidied up some of his orchids and it’s looking nice and neat in there at the moment and Joe was thrilled to bits to get out there and enjoy it after being on-call and tired after a huge week at work.

We just saw your pic of your orchid Brassia verucossa (your old faithful), what an outstanding amount of flower spikes it has, truly breathtaking and fantastic to see a plant of such quality and size; how old would you say the plant is?

Hi Jean pleased to hear your weather is in spring mode, your plants will be luving the change.

Thanks the Bali Statues is looking great with another one arriving around mid this month so something to look forward to. I too luv statue’s around the garden and so does Joe so we are just as bad as one another when we do go shopping for them but our tastes are the same so makes deciding which ones to choose easy.

Joe’s orchids are looking lovely and he has some nice slipper orchids in flower at the moment. Pleased to hear your cymbids are doing so well and nice pics you shared of your Clivias and the little friends you made are wonderful. Just spotted the pic of your front garden bed which looks amazing I might add, all that colour and structure looks fantastic, you have done such a wonderful job with the area. We can’t wait to see pics of your orchids in flower. Your broms are looking fantastic!!!

The cold weather is over and we could really do with some rain; our avocado and mango trees are in bud and the mandarin tree is in blossom with the lemon tree so a very nice time of year here except for still no rain and it’s been windy for the past three weeks and we are a bit over it now as it’s blowing a lot of debris around the yard and I am constantly out there racking, sweeping, watering, picking pots up and watering everything because the winds drying everything up. It looked like it was going to rain today but the wind just keeps blowing it all away.

I can’t find Mini Me (sad face) but I am mother to guppies now so let’s see how long they last with all the goldfish in the pond?

Hi Teresa luved the pics of your plants you have growing in your garden, all beautiful plants and very happily growing by the looks of things. It’s always such a great feeling seeing a plant come back to life and flourishing.

Your trip away sounded great except for the sickness and all the pit stops but pleased to hear the rest of the trip went well and great pics you shared with us, luved the ducks in boots and the mask looking statue I adored and want one for the garden he he.

Oh my goodness would you believe it’s raining finally, the winds backed off a bit and it’s here finally YEAH!!! The frogs are going off all around us and we are both sitting here smiling from ear to ear hearing and smelling everything around us.

I will post some brom pics tomorrow as it’s getting late; most importantly I just wanted to get on and say hello and try to catch up on missed posts best I can as I have missed so many these past weeks. The water feature is coming along nicely and will take pics of the area also to share with everyone.

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone
I am sitting here looking at a grey sky and a bit of misty fog further down in the main part of town.
My weather forecast says maybe light rain tomorrow.
I hope its right as my plants love a bit of rain.
I have all my broms clean and repotted now so nothing to do with them , just a bit of water and food.

The next thing I am waiting on is to see how my roses do this year. As they were all new last year, and still flowered nicely, I am expecting lots more flowers . There are plenty of buds and they are putting on so much new growth.
With the pretty heartsease around them in the pots, it makes a nice show as well as keeping the roots cool.
My clivias are nearly done and I have buds on the few epiphyllums I kept.
My orchids are a bit slow at flowering, but the warm sun has given them a bit of alush.
I thought I had a couple of flower spikes on the larger cymbids, but they were leaf spikes.
I have always been disappointed with the way the larger cymbids only flower sometimes and usually I only get one or two that flower each year.
I dont know why as I have tried everything including total neglect .
Thank goodness broms are not so picky about flowering.
I have a smaller cymbid Miss Muffet, that has 3 nice spikes which should open soon . Another small one has a spike but its name has worn off the tag. All I can read now is the first part ' Ballroom' These are lovely pendant ones so I have to keep them up a bit to allow the spikes to grow down .
I have a new one too. It has a flowering spike and another coming . Its Hiroshima Sweet Eyes.

Trish , great to hear about all your doings. How upsetting it would have been to have your time out spoilt by food poisoning.
I hope you are both fully recovered.
It sounds as if you are both very busy both at work and home.
Dont forget a bit of rest time though.
Your garden will be all the more beautiful with another new statue.
I love gardens with additions among the flowers.
Poor little Mini Me. he must have been a tasty morsel for another fish.
Maybe hes hiding and will pop out again.

Say hello to your mum.

Nev, I'm still here, just been a bit busy cleaning up plants and enjoying being able to spend more time outside now we are getting lovely weather.
That said, I think it may rain later and it has turned a bit chilly.

I will be working inside today on my latest needle felting wool painting.
I have another box of felt toys to be posted off to another hospital and will give the toys a rest during summer . They are a great thing to have going during the cold weather when one is inside all the time.
I have varnished all my oil paintings and hope to put them in the local art show after Christmas.
I will also enter my " wool " paintings as I think needle felting is a type of art a lot of people may not have heard about .
I know I had never heard of it before and found some examples while looking at pictures of oil paintings.

Its a very relaxing art form and you dont have to wait on paint to dry...

Time I went and made a cuppa ... I will take pics of the orchids as they flower and also a pic of the new wool painting when its done.

Hello Brian and Teresa.

Today, a few more old brom pics.
canistrum seidelianum.....alcantereas.....quesnelias..

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Today I spent the day in the garden tidying up the back garden where I have my for sale broms; we ended up putting a marine plank trestle table there to sit all my broms on as well as I am still putting some under the table but up front so they get good light and leaving the back area for spare pots etc. I spent hours flushing out a lot of the broms because all the spent fruit from the mango tree, the little fruit the tree has dropped ended up in a lot of my broms so I had to get in and manually get all the fruit out that was lodged in all the leaves; very time consuming but got a lot done but it took me a good part of the day; then after that there were more leaves to be racked with all this relentless wind we have been getting.

So much for the rain yesterday night, it only lasted for about 10 seconds and was gone and never returned the rest of the night.

Hi Jean it’s great to be back on the DG Forum as well as getting back to some sort of normal routine around home; there was so much more I wanted to get done around the garden this weekend but have just plum run out of time.

I hope you get some rain Jean, your plants will luv it for sure.

Your rose’s sound like they are going to produce a lot of flowers with all those buds and new growth and we look forward to seeing pics when they do.

Wish we had some advice to give on getting cymbids to flower but Joe does not have any in his collection because of our hot climate and the ones that can grow here we don’t find that appealing compared to those grown in cooler climates.

I just googled a picture of Hiroshima Sweet Eyes, what pretty flowers that one gets. Cymbid Miss Muffet is gorgeous too and I find the flower stunning.

Thanks we are feeling much better from the food poisoning but it does not take much for our tummies to get upset at the moment so we are very careful not to eat any spicy or hot food at the moment because it does not agree with us as our stomachs’ are still healing.

Yes work and home life has been busy and the weekends are never long enough but when the weekends do come we really look forward to them because we get time to unwind and look forward to a wee sleep in the mornings instead of our usual early wake ups.

Mini Me might surprise us yet and pop up somewhere because the aquatic plants have grown considerably and need cutting back somewhat but I did not get around to doing so this weekend.

Thanks I will say hi to Mum for you; she has been super busy in the garden and when I ring her I can hear the trill in her voice from all the enjoyment she is getting out of gardening and I totally get where she comes from as the apple does not fall far from the tree LOL.

How fantastic what you are doing with all your felt toys, such a wonderful kind hearted gesture and imagine the smiles it will put of kids’ faces. I am also pleased to hear that you will be putting your oil paintings and wool paintings into and art show after Christmas, that’s wonderful and we look forward to hearing how things go.

Lovely brom pics you posted, isn’t canistrum seidelianum a beautiful plant but ever so slow to grow and pup.

Trish

Water Feature/Green Rock Statue pictures as promised. Other statue arrives next weekend.

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy

there you go Nev, can't give up on this little group...
we may not be in to post every day but we always come back.

Poor Trish & Joe, I can truly sympathise for the food poisoning!

It normally kicks in 4 hours after you ingest the bad food.
Seafood often gets the blame but undercooked chicken & of all things - rice, are the most common causes.

I was very taken with the mask garden art - the people we stayed with have a beautiful home with lovely views down the Redwood Valley to Nelson.

I am going to a St John First Aid course tomorrow, the company I work for is paying for me to attend.

I am really enjoying working for this company :)

take care all - Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa

I just popped in again to check if my post went through ok as was cooking dinner and in a bit of a rush when I sent it, good to see it went through ok and my pictures attached also.

You are so right what you say about food poisoning and with our case seafood was the culprit for sure and we were not the only people that ate there that night the doctor told us and they ate seafood too.

Your friends place sounds lovely, did they have other mask garden art around the garden as they pic you shared with us was fantastic.

It's great that you are doing a first aid course through the new company you work for and I am sure you will enjoy it as it's such an important ticket to have in life and I always enjoy the courses. Great also to hear how much you are enjoying working for the company, sounds like they are really looking after you.

Trish

Hi Trish,
no other masks in the garden that I noticed.
The gardens themselves are lovely, we visited at Easter & you could see the bare bones but given a few months & the onset of spring it was all looking more filled out.
Given a few years it is going to be really spectacular.

Day one of the first aid course went well.
We have a half day tomorrow to finish off.

take care all - Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa

I was really taken by the mask in the garden as you were, what a shame there was not more of them in the garden as just that little bit different and not something we see around here. I am sure you will look forward to going back in a few years when the gardens have grown and are looking spectacular; it's amazing how quickly gardens do grow and I always think when we are kicking back in our garden how quickly weeds and nature could take over in a short period of time when all the elements are right, nature is truly an amazing thing and something that never fails to surprise me.

Pleased to hear the first aid course went well with a half day left tomorrow, that's a great ticket to have under your belt and sure the company will put you through many more tickets associated with the current work you do.

Still no rain here but lots of wind and few broken mango branches laying around that have fallen but look like old dry wood only which is good.

Lexi appears to have a bit of a limp in her right front leg, no obvious damage seen so she may have caused it running or got it caught somewhere in the yard; no need for vet visit as she appears not to be in any great pain as lets me touch it, just needs to rest it by the look/feel of things.

Apologies for sideways Pic No. 1 which is of one of the bromeliads and ferns enjoying the new water feature and the brom is already pupping well.

Pic 2 is Ae. 'Rodco Inverta' in flower (old pic) but I noticed my mature plants are coming into flower now and colouring up nicely.

Pic 3 - Neo. 'Meyendorfii 'Spiral'

Pic 4 - Neo. NOID??? Name on the label said 'Kismet', has a marble look about it, very pretty indeed.

Pic 5 - Neo. 'Shamrock'

Time to share the laptop and get dinner on.

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick drop in tonight but it appears no one's about so I will catch you all tomorrow.

Hope everyone's having a great week and if your spending time in your garden even better; really looking forward to the weekend so I can play in our garden again; the broms I put in the front yard over the weekend appear to be doing well and enjoying all the good light they are getting, now we just need to get nicer leaves on the shrubs to protect them from the harsh summer heat as this part of the garden gets a lot of sun for most of the day so will be interesting how the handle their new area.

Trish

Merino, Australia

Good morning.
It seems we are all taking it in turns to have a few days off then pop back with a nice post.
I suppose everyone does run out of daily news as I do. Nothing much goes on here and without the large garden I had, there is not so much to see change daily with only a small group of plants.
I can show you my new orchid flowers now though.
My roses are all full of buds, just waiting for that sun to come back with a bit of warmth again. Its been a bit chilly since the weekend but usually a bit warmer in the afternoons. We have been getting a morning dew or, like today, a light fog.

Trish, your garden would be a lovely place to sit and contemplate as it always looks so pretty in your pics.
I would also love to see all Joe's orchids, because they were my first favorite flower and I still love watching them grow their new leaf & flower spikes.
I did have a few dendrobiums and they did very well at the old house, but I sold them off as they were too large to have here and I do prefer the gorgeous cymbids.
Love your Rodco Inverta. You know I do like the stripeys...lol
I also like the meyendorfii Spiral.
I have a meyendorfii cross here but cant think of the other name at the moment.

Teresa, what a great thing for your employers to have you doing a first aid course. Something other employers should think about.
You never know when it will help someone and not just at work.

Nice to hear that you are really enjoying your job too.
How is Miss Mischief going ?
Love to see a new pic of her even though she not a bromeliad...lol

Nev, I hope you pop back in as we miss your posts.
Bear with us if we dont post every day , but we are always here.

Brian, how goes the brom collection ?
We can call it a collection now that you are definitely a bromaholic.
What new ones have you acquired ?

I'm off for a haircut today and I hope the sun hurries up and comes out so I can enjoy being outside.

pic 1... isnt she so pretty and dainty. Meet "Miss Muffet "
I have had this little cymbid for about 6 years , first bought as a seedling. Now she has 3 nice spikes and I love the coloring.

pic 2 ... a new baby, this is Hiroshima Sweet Eyes " Pink Perfection.

I thought Joe may be interested to see them , but I will add a couple of brom pics too, because this is the brom thread.

pics 3 & 4... old pics but still pretty. neo Aztec....neo Beauty to Behold..

Take care
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Busy day at work today with new person to train that has no experience in contracts but is willing to learn so that’s a start, now proof will be in the pudding.

Hi Jean I can understand where you are coming from when it comes to being on any forum; for me personally it’s just finding enough time and not always easy with work and running a business also but I do adore this forum and the main thing is we can pop in when we can that’s all that matters and we all clearly do care about this forum otherwise we would not even bother coming back; but this is not the case with me personally so here I am back again and loving talking to my beautiful friends here that I have missed since being away; you can’t get rid of me that easy he he he.

We have one car off the road at the moment as Joe was involved in a car accident yesterday (not his fault) but our insurance will cover things and the hire of a car will be billed back to the other person’s insurance that caused the accident; the car that hit Joe from behind while changing his radio station pushed Joe approx. 5 metres forward into the car in front (go figure, young bloke in his twenties); no one was hurt thank goodness and Joe after getting checked out by a doctor whet home and had the rest of the day off to ring our insurance company etc. and think about how to get to work the next day.

Thanks Jean for your kind comments about our garden, we truly adore it and we look forward to the day we get more time to spend in it as the weekends are just never long enough. Tonight while having a cuppa together at the Water Feature we decided to clean-up the herb garden on the weekend in preparation for adding in some fresh herbs before the true heat gets here so will look at doing that together this weekend.

I will get Joe to take some pics of his orchids in flower over the weekend, most being slipper orchids which are his absolute favourite. I have the nursery looking nice a clean now after I weeded the brick pavement so it’s nice for him to go in there now as he does not spend as much time in the garden as I do.

Jean your pics are beautiful and how stunning is Miss Muffet’, you have done a fantastic job growing her from a seedling. Your new baby is lovely too “Pink Perfection”. A huge thanks from Joe for sharing pics with him and keep them coming as they come into flower as he is crazy about orchids as I am with broms LOL. Great pics of your Neo. ‘Aztec’ and Neo. ‘Beauty to Behold’ also. If you had to pick an absolute favourite brom in your garden at the moment what would it be? Hard question I know and I will show you a pic of my favourite over the weekend to see what you think as it’s a stunner in my eyes.

Pleased to hear you liked Ae. ‘Rodo Inverta’ and Neo. ‘Spiral’; I have spare pups of ‘Spiral’ if you want me to post you a pup I would be more than happy to do so just let me know and I will put one aside for you; I would just need to check what size they are and if big enough yet to cut off but I think I may have one ready.

Hi Nev if your looking in; I will send you an email over the weekend and hope to see you back on this forum real soon when you can and hope you are enjoying the other forum as well.

Trish

Pic 1 - Neo. 'Prince of Darkness'
Pic 2 & 3 - Neo. 'Frivolity'
Pic 4 - Sideways pic of one of the garden beds (sorry) old pic
Pic 5 - Neo. 'Hearts Music x Concentrica'

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I thought it was time to pop in again and see if there was any action on here and what a great surprise to see you all posting again except for Brian who I have heard from and expect is busy with work and not absent due to illness.

I must say I was feeling pretty down when I last posted and was sure this little forum had died and to top it off my peripheral nerve disease started to act up again and for three days and nights in a row I was getting what I would describe as little electric shocks down my left lower leg every couple of minutes which made sleep impossible.

I don’t know what stirred it up but the day before I did spend a pretty solid day in the garden weeding and tidying up in general and maybe the twisting, bending and pulling out and re-locating plants may have impinged on a nerve somewhere and all I know is that it was most unpleasant.

During the nights I spent several hours in the lounge chair with my foot elevated, and then with it down on the floor, but still no reprieve so at one o’clock I usually went to bed hoping a change in posture would settle things down, but no such luck, and at around three o’clock I was up again and on the computer to try and take my mind of it by sorting out brom pictures.

Thankfully after three horrible nights, it settled down again yesterday afternoon and so I can get back out into the garden again today. I’m just hoping it was a “one off” episode and the gardening won’t stir it all up again today.

I never realised in my wildest dreams there would be so much reading after just a short break away and I’ll do my best to catch up and start with Trish.

Trish – It’s great to see you back again and to hear that you and Joe (and the girls) are OK. I’m very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and I know just how “down” such an occasion can make you feel, but at least you have each other for support.

I’m sorry to hear both you and Joe copped a dose of food poisoning, there’s nothing makes you feel worse and you just have to put up with it until it’s out of your system. You were wise to report the incident as an investigation is required to see just where it came from.

I know poultry and seafood are the two most common causes of food poisoning and like many other just thought it was due to dirty kitchen management or the product being “off” and never thought about the causes until I had cause to report some “off” chicken I got from Woolworths a few years back.

They were very good and I got emails about the investigation progress every couple of days. It seems the chicken came from “Ingham’s” another well-known and respected producer and after an investigation which involved checking everything from the actual slaughtering of the birds right up the line to checking the temperatures in the fridges in Woolworths. They finally tracked it down to one of the refrigerated delivery trucks which had a faulty thermostat in the cooling system which wasn’t re-setting once the temperature started to rise.

When I thought about the mammoth size of this investigation which would have involved hundreds of trucks (as Ingham’s deliver all over the country), plus doing comparable fridge temperature checks in all other Woolworths stores, it makes you realise just at how many points in the distribution of these products something can go wrong. Maybe we should go back to keeping our own chooks and catching our own fish.

Wow!, talk about getting off track; anyway back to brom’s and gardens now and your mention about my old Brassia verucossa reminded me that yesterday I counted over twenty five new flower spike starting on it so it will be a picture again this year.

Your pond looks great and what an asset to the yard. I didn’t expect the water to have cleared to the extent we can see the fish at this stage. Do you have a filter in it? What’s the yellow eye-catching flower? It’s certainly something very different to any I’ve seen before.

I’ve just been studying your statue picture, as it seemed familiar, and now I remember seeing one when we went to Bali. I’ve been trying to find a picture to show you and I’m still searching without much success. The thing is though, I think you’ll find it was originally designed as a water feature or maybe it’s a basic model which can be used as a statue and/or a water feature.

The one we saw was located on a pedestal in a pond and had water flowing from the upturned container, as well as coming from an area just below the waist of the statue and down onto the first (I’ll call it a shelf for ease of explanation) and then this overflowed to the one below it and was repeated again onto the one below that before falling back into the pond and gave the appearance of what looked like a small three tiered waterfall. Not a very good description but I can’t find the picture so it’ll have to do.

Great pic’s you’ve posted once again, however they bring back a bad memory as the Ae. 'Rodco Inverta' was one of my favourites which I lost to the cold in the recent winter. I love the Neo. 'Meyendorfii 'Spiral', I’ll have to ask to be put on the list for a pup of that one if you don’t mind.

Jean – You mention about your Cymbidiums how some are lovely pendant ones and how you have to keep them up a bit to allow the spikes to grow down. When I grew cymbidiums, these types were known as decorative Cymbidiums and there was a special section in the show just for them. My (late) old mate who grew wonderful cymbidiums had a beautiful pale green decorative type which I unfortunately can’t remember the name of. It only had smallish flowers about two and a half inches across but it wasn’t unusual for it to have in excess of forty flowers on a beautiful arching pendulous spike.

I vividly remember seeing John regularly taking this plant to the show and he had a Holden panel van with this right at the back and the flower spike hanging over the tailboard a few inches from the ground. Fortunately he only lived a short distance from the show venue and could travel down at a snail’s pace to avoid any damage.

I’m pleased to hear that you are going to exhibit some of your paintings in the show and it will be great to share their beauty with others.

I like the Canistrums also, the one I have is called Canistrum fosterianum and as you say they are a bit slow, but the brilliant scarlet flower more than makes up for that.

Teresa – You’re quite right, I shouldn’t have given up on you all so soon as it’s happened in the past and we all came back again but as I said above, I just had a bad week and was pretty cheesed off with everything.

I’m glad to hear you’re doing a first aid course, I personally think they should be taught in schools and be compulsory before you can get a driving licence like they are in some Scandinavian countries. It’s been proved time and time again that good first aid correctly applied does save lives and it’s certainly no load to carry. So good luck with your course.

Being involved in ambulance work I was also a first aid instructor for many years before I and many other instructors had disagreement over the re-structuring of the courses. Up to the late 1970’s, first aid courses in our area were taught over 14 weeks and involved two hours per night each week broken into one hour for theory and one hour for practical.

You had to have attended at least 75% of the classes to sit the exam which was on a separate night. The theory paper contained 50% written answers and 50% answers to multiple choice questions. The practical was a set scenario where you had to assess the area, prioritise the injuries and treat accordingly within a time limit. The resuscitation examination was a separate section altogether.

People who did these courses had one week to study their manual between lessons which prepared them for the next subject being taught and also allowed them to revise what had been taught the previous week, and at the end of these courses people went away feeling they had learned something.

When a new bloke from Canada became the head training officer, he changed the whole curriculum and condensed the whole of the 14 weeks training (28 hours) into what was called a “weekend course” consisting of 12 hours of training and 4 hours for the exam. The general feeling among instructors was that it was a very intense course which just allowed them to absorb sufficient knowledge to pass the exam but insufficient to retain it over time. They overcame this criticism by recommending students did a refresher course each year.

The exam consisted of 25 multiple choice questions and the practical was based on various injuries written on bits of paper one of which the student had to pick out of a hat and treat it accordingly. The resuscitation was five oral questions and a few minutes to demonstrate their skills on a manikin.

Generally speaking a lot of instructors disagreed with the new format and felt students didn’t learn enough and thought that the certificate they received after the exam was “just a receipt” for the class fees. It was at that point a lot of us parted ways with the organisation doing the training. Having spoken to numerous students who had done both types of courses they all said the same thing; although the new course was more convenient and less time consuming you didn’t learn anywhere near as much as the in the old courses.

As usual I’ve been here too long and have to go, so I’ll catch up with what I missed in your posts tomorrow.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Hello Trish and anyone else looking in.
Its a bit windy here at the moment, but will probably get quite warm later.
Yesterday was lovely to be walking around the shops without a jumper too.
I have just been out watering the plants at the back because they get afternoon sun and I water the front later in the afternoon because they get morning sun.
Its handy to have the two areas because I can swap plants around as the seasons change.

Trish, I hope Joe is okay after the accident.
I am always amazed at what some drivers do. I think they must be off with the fairies sometimes.
We can all make a mistake when driving, but hopefully not at the expense of someone else.
I had a driver reverse out just as I was passing and I think it was just a fluke that she missed and hit her brakes because my beautiful car must have been only millimetres away from damage.
Living in a rural area, I see some drivers just come out of driveways and side roads without looking. It seems to be a case of thinking they are so familiar with the roads, they will not have any problem.
Trouble is they can cause others to have the problems in dodging them.

I will add pics of the other orchids when they eventually open.
They seem to be a bit late this year. Maybe the cold winter has slowed them down, but I am pleased to see them flower at last. The larger cymbids have not flowered at all except for the one that flowered for some odd reason, way back around April.

Hmmmm... just went to check the date on the orchid pic and found that somehow the computer has changed the file I keep all my plant files in. The proper file has disappeared and all I am seeing is an old file.
Now I will have to get out my backup disc and add the proper file . I wonder how it did that because the right file was there as I was adding pics to it just a few days ago.
Very weird.

You asked what my favorite brom is...well...it used to be vr White Chestnut, but I think since I have been here and seen vr Exotica Velvet do so well, it would have to be my best one now.

Thank you for the offer of a pup from your neo Spiral, but I think I had better just keep to the number of plants I have here.
Because the broms need to have a bit of shelter, I have only a certain space for them .
I am training myself to be happy with the plants I have and not get started on wanting more....lol

I had better get myself moving and finish the last of the watering as I need to get a bit domestic and do some ironing.
I am getting my latest bit of crafty stuff ready to put a backing on. I need to iron the sides to get the hems ready for the backing , then iron that on. It will protect the back and cover the threads that poke through.
This is my first needle felted wall hanging. The first needle felting I did will be going into a frame as it is smaller.
One I get those finished, I can start on a new one.
I need to be doing something as I am not one to just sit around. I get bored doing nothing, so always try to find something to keep me busy.

I will add a pic of the wall hanging, but it wont look finished yet as you can see the sides that I will be turning back .
ooops... no pics there either. Looks like I have to redo all my files . I have no idea why the old ones are replacing the ones that should be there.
So, no pics today.

Hope everyone is well
Take care
Jean.

I have been getting some awful headaches so the last thing I want to do after a day at work is spend time on the lap top ...
I am trying to get a dentist appointment as I suspect it is my broken tooth triggering the pain.
I had a quick skim through the posts - some lovely pics to admire.
glad to see you back Nev - and sorry to hear that you had such a bad time of it.
Trish - scary for Joe to be in a car accident, good thing nobody was badly hurt.

Nev - the first aid course I did is fairly condensed & very little written work.

they prefer to set practical tests - we did CPR using the dummies - adult & children.
that has been changed to make it easier to do & remember, rule of thumb is "thirty & two, no matter who"

so 30 compressions, 2 breaths & back to compressions.
They also say that the breaths are optional, it is the action of the compressions that keeps blood flowing enough to keep a person alive enough that they have a chance.
Ideally a defibrillator will be available - use of one increases you odds of surviving by a significant amount.

Other than that it was about treating burns, stopping bleeding, minor amputations, heat stroke/hypothermia and coping with seizures, asthma & diabetic conditions.

All fairly common sense - I did learn one surprising thing - after keeping a burn under cool running water for 20 minutes you can apply a single layer of cling wrap to the burn, it keeps the air off it & helps with infection control.
You can also keep running cold water over the area once it is cling wrapped.

I never would have thought to do that.

take care all - Teresa

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Spent a pretty productive day in the garden yesterday and have finally finished the weeding. I now have to do a bit of re-locating with some of the plants and then more mulch and the job’s finished.

Now to continue the “catch-up” from where I finished yesterday and I think I got up to Jeans post of Oct 13.

Jean – What is the genera of the Hiroshima Sweet Eyes " Pink Perfection” you posted, is it one of the Cattleya alliance?

Cattleyas have always been my favourite orchids although I started off with Cymbidiums like most people in this area, but after a while they became so common due to so many large exporters in our area (It was all cymbidiums that were exported in those days) I looked for something not too many others were growing and it was Cattleyas I chose. It’s quite a wide and varied family of orchids and if you check the link below you will see as they all belong to the Cattleya alliance.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cattleya+alliance+orchid&biw=1440&bih=721&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCgQsARqFQoTCI7End6PxcgCFQc4lAodryENIg

Isn’t it a “pain” when you can’t find files? I’m sure there’s a little man in my computer who keeps moving them or maybe it’s me who keeps pressing the wrong buttons. Whatever the reason, I find that while searching for the file that’s missing I usually find something else I had forgotten about and get side tracked reading that instead.

Trish – I can understand just how cheesed off Joe must have felt as my wife had a similar thing happen to her a little while ago when a young lady ran into the back of her car while she was stopped at an intersection.

Fortunately she and the grandson and daughter weren’t injured but it’s the inconvenience it causes, arranging with the insurance company, organising a hire car and the disruption to all the plans for the week, and all because someone couldn’t look where they were going (or were texting at the time?)

I’m going to have a bit of a brag here now, but I got my licence when I was 14 and 10 months old, I’m now 75 and have never had an accident that was my fault, never been booked and never even had a parking ticket. I put his all down to what the police sergeant who took me for my licence told me which was “always give way to the man on your right and watch the bugger on your left” (In those days you had to give way to the vehicle in your right) but I interpreted that as meaning to always anticipate what the other driver is going to do.

The other thing my Dad drummed into me when he was teaching me to drive; “always obey the speed signs and drive to the road conditions”. I’ve now stopped driving due to loss of feeling in my feet so I guess you could say I’ve finished with a clean slate.

Nice pic’s once again and I especially like your Neo. 'Frivolity'. Also the Neo. 'Hearts Music x Concentrica' looks unusual as well with its unusual combination of lineation and spotting. Is that a seedling that came from me? The reason I ask is that I re-did that cross a few years back after I saw some beauties that came from the original cross which was made by Allan Freeman.

I’ll look forward to your email over the weekend.

Teresa – Just as a little resuscitation history lesson you may find interesting, when I first started first aid and resuscitation, we were taught the Holger Neilson Method and then the Sylvester Method (I don’t remember which was first) long before Expired Air Breathing (EAR) started.

Since then it has also changed over the years from initially starting with five full breaths before the pulse assessment then the 15:2 rhythm. It was found that many patients were getting the problem of stomach inflation which was tracked down to the initial five “full“ breaths.

This was then changed to 2 initial breaths with the emphasis on the “full” being removed. Now the initial breaths have been done away with as it’s thought the compressions will provide enough exchange of air initially and the last I read was you commenced with 30 compressions with 2 breaths between each group of 30 compressions.

Where I worked in heavy industry, all of our ambulance training was based on the Australian Resuscitation Council Guide lines (I think they are now affiliated with the NZ Resuscitation Council) and this is what all of the Aust. first aid teaching organisations use as guidelines as well.This is a great site as it give the latest recommendation for all first aid and advanced first aid treatments
See: http://resus.org.au/guidelines/

I like the "thirty & two, no matter who"; we often used these things as memory joggers as well as various words, e.g. the word RED represented the treatment for haemorrhage.

R= Rest and reassurance, (Rest and reassure the patient) E= Elevation (Elevate the bleeding part above the level of the heart) and D= Direct Pressure (Apply pressure directly to the site of the wound).

It was easy for kids to remember as they were taught the colour of blood was RED and that was also your treatment. I know adults now who I taught first aid to when they were 10 year olds and I can still ask them what RED means and they will quickly come back with Rest, Elevation and Direct Pressure. This proves the simple method of teaching is still the best.

Your mention of burns treatment brings up another interesting point, for many years the treatment for burns was to cover them as quickly as possible with something as close to sterile as possible (a freshly laundered pillow case was often given as an example) and no mention of cold water.

It had been found that during WW2, sailors who were burnt in fires at sea and quickly jumped overboard usually survived whereas others treated on board with the traditional sterile dressing treatment often didn’t. It took many years before this simple method of treatment became a commonly taught first aid treatment; it seems people are very reluctant to change.

It was common sense that if something’s hot you should cool it down and likewise if something's cold you should warm it up (hypothermia).

The “cling wrap” treatment is also another simple treatment as well as is making sure to cover the top of a victim’s head suffering from exposure or hypothermia (especially small children and babies) as it’s the top of the head where most body warmth is lost (especially old farts like me with no hair)…… That’s why old blokes often wear hats.

Oh Teresa, look what you’ve done; you’ve got me of track again, but then when you work in the first aid area for thirty years it’s impossible not to be interested in a first aid conversation and that’s my only defence for getting off topic once again.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Good morning.
It lovely to see your great posts Nev. Whether its relating to broms or not, they are always interesting to read.
Its also a way to gain a bit of info we might never have heard.

My little orchid Hiroshima Sweet Eyes is a small cymbid .
I notice 3 more spikes doing well but they may be leaf spikes.

The other one , Miss Muffet is more brownish than the pic shows and so pretty.
I love the look of the cattleyas but they dont like it down here unless you have the right conditions. I tried one once and it went toes up in the cold.

I did manage to find my files. but am still wondering how they disappeared.
This morning I typed an email and as I was typing I wasnt looking at the email so did not see it just vanish.
I looked up to check what I had written and found it gone. It was nowhere to be found. I am sure there is a little man in my computer too. He loves disappearing things.

Teresa. you must be feeling able to help in any emergency now with your new training.
I was never taught any first aid , but have learned by watching all the TV shows. Its amazing what you can pick up from them.
Aside from the unnecessary things, there are lots of helpful things to pick up simply by watching.

My day for the hospital group again today and as we are having an open day, I'm off early to help get things ready.
Now that I found the files, I will add my new wall hanging pic.
I also made a silly mistake in yesterdays post. Exotica Velvet is a neo not a vriesea.
I add a pic of it too as I love it. This is an old pic and it is much bigger now.
Any marks on the leaves are from our awful water.

Take care
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

first aid certainly has evolved over the years - I can remember being told to put butter on burns...
my Mum never liked that advice & even back in the 60's & 70's would get us to run the burn under cold water.
She was ahead of her time as that is now the standard practice.

Jean - nice pics - I have been suggesting to some of my friends with fluffy dogs that they collect the hair & take up needle felting :)

take care all - Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick drop in tonight to check that Nev's back and YEAH NEV'S BACK and I am thrilled to bits about that, we missed you Nev; look at all the reading you had to catch-up on, this will be me tomorrow and I have only missed a day and by tomorrow I will be behind even more he he.

Anyway thanks for everyone's kind concerns about Joe and the car accident he was involved in this week, he is absolutely fine which is a huge relief.

We got stuck into the mowing when we got home from work; as well as the other heavy new green rock statue is here and we just need to get it out of its wooden crate and once we have we can take pics to share with everyone; it weights at least close to a couple of hundred kilo's, that much so we left burn mark tracks from the trolley on our driveway just from the sheer weight of it LOL.

Had a huge day today as we had our big tender on that I had to prepare for and present to all tenderer's and the rest of the week was just as busy with many meeting to go to, quotes to obtain and contracts to get out that were super urgent.

Anyway must do a runner as have a few phone calls I need to make before it gets too late. I will respond to everyone's posts over the weekend and am really looking forward to doing that with a nice cuppa beside me and it gives me a break in between gardening although sometimes you need to drag me away kicking and screaming like a child having a tantrum because I luv the outdoor so much.

Beaching in the morning and then I have a girlfriend coming to visit to check out my broms, first time she has been here and she luvs to garden so can't wait to take here for a tour around our garden and collections.

Trish

Neo' NOID, I have never been able to identify, such a vibrant colour.

Thumbnail by bromishy
Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

It's been a busy week here and warming up nicely for the weekend.

I've had my head stuck in the work computer after getting it attacked by a 'ransomware virus'. Going through some emails last Sunday and thinking of other things I have clicked on the link, as it is disguised as Australia Post tracking. Dickhead, can't believe I did that. Anyway deleted the file and didn't think a whole lot of it until next morning all files encrypted and not accessible. Even the back up drives were unusable. (Stupidly left permanently connected). None of the local computer people wanted anything to do with it as it sounds like a lot of work for nil return. Luckily I had sent accounting file elsewhere recently, so it wasn't a 100% disaster. (Data doesn't exist unless it is in three places). This weekend is going to involve entering recent transactions back on, brilliant.

Hi Trish, sounds like your backyard is turning into a resort with your new statues and water feature. I'm glad to hear your hubby is OK after his accident, can be a major disruption losing your car for a bit.
Are you classed as an 'estimator'? I have been looking at changing jobs and there are quite a few of these around.

Jean, nice pictures of all your plants and your painting. Your Neo. Exotic Velvet is a beauty. Sounds like you keep yourself busy with all your activities. Yeh I think I have started some sort of collection. Went down to a sale last weekend to get a big Alcantarea for my sister in law to put in her front garden. It wasn't a great fit so I had to keep it, happy about that.

Teresa, it seems that most jobs I have looked at require a first aid certificate or willing to do the course. That's got to be a good thing.

Nev, that's an impressive driving record you have there. Driving from the coast to Sydney of a day is a nightmare.

Anyway, better head off, waiting for the sun to rise.
1. Neomea 'Strawberry' looks like a pup from the centre vase, has coloured up nicely in a new position.
2. Neo. 'Orange Glow'
3. Neo. 'Purple Glaze'
4 Neo. ' Fosperior Perfection'
5. Starting to fill up.

Brian

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – We have a big day on today with a workshop from 10am – 2pm; at least that’s what’s planned. The last one went until 3.45pm and was something we didn’t expect.

One of the topics a member was going to speak about was unexpectedly very short and everything was finished by lunch time so rather than send everyone home feeling they hadn’t got out of the workshop what they thought they would, I did an impromptu question and answer session.

Initially I was hesitant as I knew how reluctant members seem to be at meetings to ask questions but my concerns were unfounded as it just seemed to go on forever and in the end I lost my voice. Since then we have had more requests for similar sessions at future workshops and I think the reason is that because it’s a small group of about 20 instead of a meeting of 50-60, people feel more comfortable asking questions with the smaller group.

Anyway, I’ll let you know how it goes as it’s a fine weather here today and it should be a nice change as today is a combination garden visit and workshop with a sausage sizzle. So as well as a learning experience it’s also a social one as well.

Jean – I should have paid attention to the foliage of your little Cymbid yesterday before I started raving about Cattleyas. The thing that immediately caught my eye was the shape of the lip which looked a bit similar to some Cattleya hybrids when crossed with the “spade lip” types. Had I looked further at the flat, long thin leaves I would have known it was a mini Cymbid.

I have the same little man in my computer as you and he does the same to my emails which I eventually find it the “drafts” box after I have re-typed the whole thing. Now I know where they vanish to, I look there first, but I still don’t know what I’m doing wrong to put them there and as you say, there must be a little man inside the computer.

Speaking about helpful first aid tips, here’s a very important one not to be over looked; you should never move an injured conscious patient unless they are in further danger and that danger can’t be removed because moving them can and often does make their injuries much worse. It’s been found that when a person is injured, they will usually get themselves into the most suitable position that doesn’t aggravate their injury/s and moving them unnecessarily will usually make things much worse, and yet for some reason that’s usually the first thing that well-meaning onlookers want to do.

I like your wall hanging seascape with the ever present seagulls circling overhead which is a scene similar to many around here which I’ve seen many times.

Teresa – I can remember as child, butter was the common treatment for burns, but Dad always said you only put butter on something if you wanted to eat it or cook it and as it was already cooked and you couldn't eat it, cold water was the best option…. Perhaps the people who designed the first aid courses back then should have consulted your Mum and my Dad.

Trish – Glad to hear your other statute has arrived, hopefully safe and sound. They certainly add a bit of character to any garden.

When we were in Bali we saw where one of these statute carvers would stock pile his statutes for the American market in a heavily overgrown area behind his house, and he told us that within a month they would have lichens and moss growing on them and looking like they were very, very old; in fact they looked like something out of “Raiders of the Lost Ark”. I don’t know how they got them through customs in US because if they came here they would get the usual gas chamber treatment and the moss and lichen “would be no more”.

Would you like me to post the picture of your NOID on some of the Face Book Brom sites to see if we can find a name for it? I know Tash, Jen and Shirley often post on there and besides there are many other Australian and overseas growers as well.

Brian – Was that like the “ransomware virus” from China that claims to be the Federal Police and locks your computer? They threaten to do all kinds of horrible things if you don’t pay the set fee within seven days to have it unlocked (I think one of the penalties was 31,000 days is jail Ha! Ha!). One of the local computer technicians here said I would be surprised to know how many older people just send the money as soon as they see the Federal Police logo. It’s pretty sad to think just how easy it is to trap our vulnerable seniors.

How do you get on with your xNeomea ‘Strawberry’? I find it very prone to rot here where I live and I’ve had it for several years now and each time it makes up into an adult plant the centre rots. Luckily it always manages to squeeze out a single pup which grows to maturity and the cycle starts all over again. I’ve had it in several different locations, treated it with fungicides, grown it soft and grown it hard and still the same result. Very disappointing as I really like it as a plant; maybe I just have a particularly rot prone clone?

Neo. ‘Orange Glow’ is a great brom for colour and you’ll find it will go much more orange than that yet; a real eye stopper!

The plant in your Pic.4 was grown and called Neo.'Fosperior Perfection' for many years and is still grown and sold under that name here in Australia, however the correct registered name is Neo. ‘Perfection’ See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=6276#6276

You say you shade house is “filling up”; you’ve got plenty of space yet and look at all of the vertical space you have to go yet, I reckon you’ve only just reached ¼ capacity, Ha! Ha!.

Anyway, I hope you get rid of that ransomvirus OK as it can cause havoc especially if it starts locking your computer like the one supposedly from the Federal police does.

All the best, Nev.

Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

Yeh Nev, I have had that xNeomea ' Strawberry' exactly a year to the day. Never had a problem with it. Hasn't grown any either but the colour change is a lot. Not sure whether it is because it has thrown a pup out of the centre or change in light.

Also the computer hard drive is unusable had to be replaced without getting anything off it.

Picture also below is a grass pup on an Alc. I bought but looks close to dead. Hope it's not an indicator of condition of the plant.

Brian

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
Another lovely spring day today, as was yesterday. The nice days are starting to outnumber the colder ones now, so I expect we will soon be complaining about the heat...lol

Nev, its nice to hear that so many of your members like to ask questions at the brom meetings.
My dad used to say that you are never too old to learn and asking questions is the best way to find out things.
I have always been a curious person , so must have driven him mad with all my questions about everything.
Lucky he had great patience with me as I used to also like to see how things worked and once took a clock apart to see how it worked. Being a tomboy ,I used to climb trees and explore with the local boys ( there were no girls around and I wasnt a 'girlie' girl anyway ) which led me to learn about fixing bikes and later cars.
I could fix things on cars long before I ever learned to drive one.
Being with my dad so much also taught me about doing things around the house and garden.
He did love his garden.
Thank you for the nice comments on my wool 'painting'.
I enjoy doing new things and am already planning on the next scene I will do.

I remember the butter on burns thing, but if I burnt myself I have always put it under water to cool it off.
Makes sense to me. I always wondered where the butter idea came from as it seemed to be very silly to be smearing butter on a burn when cold water did the trick so much better.

Brian, like Nev, I see lots of room in your shadehouse still. You can call it full when you start thinking of where you can fit the next one...lol

I had the xneomea Strawberry too and even though it did grow ( slowly) It only ever gave . me 2 pups then rotted in the center.
I kept one pup, which itself had one pup then rotted away too.

I would say that your little grass pup is dead. I have had many from my alcantereas and they all did well . I did as was suggested once on here somewhere and placed a couple of the pups in the well of the bottom leaves on the parent and they survived there for many months before I potted them.
I tossed most as I had enough . I brought the last little one here and it is still outside . They are very slow growers while small though.

Hello Trish & Teresa. Hope all is well for you both.
I am off outside as its fertiliser time. I do my plants once a week now until late autumn.
They get Seasol and whatever fertiliser I am using.

a few more old pics today.
pic 1...one of the alcanterea grass pups
pic 2...my larger alcanterea with a pup. This adult plant grew to be so big I had to sell it with the others as it was way too large to fit in here. I loved that plant because it was only about 8" high when I bought it.

take care
Jean.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Spent another busy day in the garden today but it’s now 4.30 and I’ve just about “run out of petrol” so I’ve come inside to sit down for a bit and have a cuppa.

The workshop yesterday went very well; we had about 20 people put up their hands at the meeting to indicate they would attend but we finished up with 33 instead, so another successful day was had by all.

We didn’t have a definite programme plan as such and just told people to bring in their problem plants for discussion and/or dividing/re-potting/advice or anything else they wanted doing and if we had time we would also have a question and answer session afterwards. We had such a good response and a great variety of different genera and problem plants and we worked a sort of question and answer segment into the session as we addressed each of the plants brought in.

Brian – Bad luck about your computer, these bugs are getting worse and worse and are becoming a real problem. I’ve had no more trouble since I put on the anti-virus programme recommended by the technician. It’s a free one you can down load and it’s called “Microsoft Security Essentials”, so if you don’t have a reliable one it’s probably worth trying.

I don’t have much experience with hair pups on Alc’s, but most blokes I know who grow them take them off much smaller than yours. Some of the growers from Townsville and points north take them off at just 30mm and they grow fine, but then they have a warmer climate than us. I’ve been told if you don’t take them off within a certain time they will just dry up and die away as they don’t continue to grow like normal pups. I don’ know if that’s true or not, but if it is, that’s probably what’s happened to the one on your plant as the mother plant looks OK..

That’s a great looking Ae. nudicaulis in your Pic.5. It looks to me like Ae. ‘Zebra’ which is a c.v. of Ae nudicaulis var. Aequalis. Compare yours with Pic.3 on this site: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=AECHMEA&id=630#630

Jean – What you say about asking questions is very true; the best school teacher I ever had, drummed it into us from a very early age that we always had to ask questions if we were to learn anything and if you didn’t ask, you wouldn’t always be told, and since that point on I’ve always questioned everything and still do.

I think asking questions and then having a go at doing things yourself is the best way to learn and I remember the first car I got was an old 1937 Vauxhall and it was forever busting differentials. I got so proficient at replacing them I could change one in 13 minutes, but then it was a pretty simple exercise, not like the technical, electronic, computerised nightmares we have today where you need a university degree to fix the smallest little thing on them.
'
What you describe with your Neomea 'Strawberry' is exactly what happens to mine, so maybe it’s not something I’m doing wrong after all.

As well as putting grass pups in the well in the lower leaves, you can also put them in the central vase. This also applies to pups that have been broken off too high up and when treated this way will sometimes grow roots. I’ve also successfully struck cuttings of other plants in this manner.

Did you find the hair pups died if left on the Alcantarea plant too long?

Anyway time to go again.

Hello to Trish and Teresa also, hope to hear from you again soon.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Good morning.
Sunny here again but at this time of the morning, quite chilly. The day will warm and I will get a bit done outside later. I am off again today and will get to the garden after lunch.
I found a nice large bud on one of the hippeastrums yesterday so will be watching that as I have no idea as to its color.

I sent off yet another spoof mail to PayPal yesterday. I usually send any to them so they can track & check them. I dont get so many junk emails as we used to get. Either my protection is working very well or a lot of the junk goes elsewhere.
We have always used Trend on the computers and found it to be very good and also unobtrusive.
We once had the computer crash and lost nearly everything , but I was able to regain most because I always backup files on a disc and a memory stick.
I have been told that discs are better because they last longer than the memory sticks, so I do both.
I keep a special file on the desk top and add anything I want to save , then every few weeks , I add that to the disc.

Nev, sounds as though you have a very enthusiastic garden group up there.
It is so great to see people taking an interest in their plants.
Talking about leaving hair pups on the alcantareas too long, I dont know how long you could leave them as I did leave a couple for about 12 months but they grow so slowly at that stage, I ended up taking them off . I had 3 larger ones that were all I needed. I bought them as large pups about 8" - 10" high. I found at that stage they were adult looking and grew fairly quickly.

Brian, I have a small aech Zebra here . They are a lovely plant and I like the style and shape.
You have nicer color up there with all your warmer weather...lol

Hello Teresa & Tris.
I had better get moving .
Added a couple of old pics ..

pic 1...aech Zebra

pic 2... aech La Tigra, one I did have before which is also very pretty and similar in looks.

Take care
Jean

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick drop in tonight to say I won't be back on here until later in the week as I have dreaded bookwork to catch-up on that I have been putting off and the evenings are the only opportunity I get to do it after I finish work. I did start typing a thread for DG over the weekend but did not get to finish it because we had visitors both days that chewed up our evenings and the days were spent out and about and in the garden; we got the herb garden done and I have taken a pic to upload later as well as I took a pic of our new rock statue.

We got some much needed rain last night for about 10 minutes and off and on during the night but the rain they were forecasting for later this week and into the weekend looks like we will not be getting now which is a crying shame; level two water restrictions will be coming into play in the next week or two which means hand watering and I think one day we can irrigate during the evening I think but will have to see what the restrictions will be.

Anyway hope everyone's well and I will try to catch-up with everyone later in the week and responding to any threads I have missed and pictures I always like to open to take a closer look at everyone's beautiful plants and gardens.

Trish

Merino, Australia

Hello anyone.....
We are back to more odd weather again here. It starts off quite cool then by the time one is finished shopping and on the way home, the weather has become nice and warm.

I have taken to having a spare jacket and cardigan in the car so I can use them if needed.

My plants like the cool and the few drops of rain we get. I have just bought another block of sugar cane mulch so have to wait for a non windy day to put it out on the garden bed and the large pots. I used it last year and it did a great job keeping the plants cool and the soil damp, but has all broken down now.

My broms are starting to gain a bit more color , but I am so pleased they did retain a lot from last summer. I thought they would all be rather more greenish after all the cold.

The vrieseas that were a little wet around the bases after winter have dried out nicely and are looking very good since I cleaned them up , so I expect to see a few more pups later.
I mentioned above that I no longer had aech La Tigra, but had forgotten I kept the large pup here.
I also have a very nice pup on bill amoena stolonifera varieagate.

Well its time I went out and had my morning chat with the plants before I am off again over to Casterton.
I need a new pair of garden shoes and usually find what I want over there.
Its always nice to go out for a drive anyway.
I hope i see someone popping in later.
Hope everyone is well.
Trish, Teresa, Nev & Brian.

pic 1... bill amoena stolonifera.

pic 2 the very large rose that was here when I moved in. Its about 6' high and as wide too.
Does a great job of sheltering the plants I have under the shadecloth on the clothesline frame.
I dont know the name of the rose but its an old one.

Take care
Jean.

attended the worst run dog obedience show ever today...
and to my utter embarrassment it is the National Dog Obedience Assembly hosted by our region.
I can't imagine what the visitors were thinking after an early start, of 8.45am didn't quite go to plan & was delayed by at least 15 minutes.
The afternoon show was even more delayed in starting but we were finished by just before 3pm.
And then had to wait for prize giving.
Which didn't start until after 5pm.
And then they messed up the photos for the first few events & had to re do them.
They did all the obedience classes before Rally-O, which was unfair as we had been finished for a couple of hours by then.
We were finally done by 6.15pm - and the evening function started at 6.30pm.
So glad I didn't sign up for that, no way I was going out after being on my feet all day - I was up at 6am to get ready & we didn't arrive home until 7pm.

Also glad I didn't enter both shows tomorrow - just the morning one.
We are going to the function that night so it will give me time to come home & shower & change.

Sugar was completely over it by the end - and not a happy pup to be missing her dinner at 5.30pm.

well that's my whinge for the night...

take care all
Teresa

Merino, Australia

Hello, looks like I am all alone.
Its been nice and mild here for the last few days and we have had a bit of light rain overnight. I have put the car out in hopes of more rain, but it looks like the car wash next week as the rain wont wash the road grime off.

Teresa, sorry to hear that your training day was so bad.
It can be very annoying when organisers have no idea of doing things right.
Hope the next ones do better.
I guess Miss Sugar was really fed up too.

I did a bit of cleaning up with my plants yesterday. Tossed a few poor looking ones and repotted a couple.
I didnt really do a good job of bringing plants here from the house . I think I was just trying to grab my favorites without thinking of how they would do here.
Being a small garden area , I need plenty of color all year round, so have done a complete makeover. I will move a few more today that have had their flower time. They can rest at the back.
I will be looking at getting just a few more plants that are hardy and flower more than the ones I have.
Because my garden at the house was so large, I could have something flowering all the time and walk around to enjoy them.
Here, I need things that I can sit and look at so, more planning going on.

My broms are all getting plenty of color now and growing well.
I noticed how quickly bill Hallelujah has colored back after a greenish winter.

Not much else going on so I will sit outside with my cuppa and enjoy the roses.
Luckily I can sit out the back or front and be sheltered from any rain.
Its quite nice and mild with no wind.

I hope everyone out there is okay and just busy.
Hope to see smiling faces back again soon.

roses Molineux & Lili Marlene

neo De Rolf which is now about 18" across

neo Lovely Lady.. she is very lovely

Keep safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

those are all lovely plants Jean, I adore roses, have done since I was a child.
I'm looking forward to mine booming again.

My second day competing was dreadful but all my own fault.
Sugar & I were terrible, we finished on 86/100.

But she didn't run off so it could have been worse.

We have 3 years before the NDOA is held in the Southern Region again.

I should look at going away to one when Central host it - I could see if Sugar's breeder has a spare bed or two...

Need to do a bit of training before spending lots of money on going away to compete.

We took Sugar for a run at the dog park today, the weather is fantastic, sunny & with a gentle breeze.
We all enjoyed out walk - Sugar found some dogs to play with along the way and did a fair bit of running around.
It was nice to get out & stretch my legs - we did a fair bit of dancing last night at the function & I knew all about it this morning!
Only had a couple of wines so no sore head to go with the sore muscles :)

On the way home we stopped at a Coffee Culture & sat outside with Sugar & had a late lunch.
I was really pleased at how well behaved Sugar was, there was another dog there when we arrived & she barely looked at him.
Later a young black lab in a Guide dog vest came in, I think he was in training as he wasn't in harness & was still being a bit puppyish wanting to say hi to Sugar & not settling.
Sugar was happy to say hi but went back under our table & lay down while we finished our lunch.

It might be nice to walk Sugar there on a Sunday for brunch.
Once Dog Club is closed for the school holidays we will have the time.

Well take care all
Teresa
ps: flowering in my garden today...

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Just a real quick visit today to tell you the reason I haven't been around is that I've had computer problems which hopefully are now sorted out.

I don't have enough time to read thorough all the posts and offer comments as I have a busy day ahead of me, but I'll catch up with the posts when I can.

I'll just finish with a few old file pictures of some brom's.

All the best, Nev.

Tascott, Australia

Hey all,

It has cooled off a bit these last couple of days.

All of the pics in the last couple of posts have a lot of colour in them, great time of year.

Just a couple of pics of unknown plants if anybody has a clue.

2nd and 3rd plants are big buggers.

Brian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.