Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
77sunset wrote:
Hello anyone.....
We are back to more odd weather again here. It starts off quite cool then by the time one is finished shopping and on the way home, the weather has become nice and warm.

I have taken to having a spare jacket and cardigan in the car so I can use them if needed.

My plants like the cool and the few drops of rain we get. I have just bought another block of sugar cane mulch so have to wait for a non windy day to put it out on the garden bed and the large pots. I used it last year and it did a great job keeping the plants cool and the soil damp, but has all broken down now.

My broms are starting to gain a bit more color , but I am so pleased they did retain a lot from last summer. I thought they would all be rather more greenish after all the cold.

The vrieseas that were a little wet around the bases after winter have dried out nicely and are looking very good since I cleaned them up , so I expect to see a few more pups later.
I mentioned above that I no longer had aech La Tigra, but had forgotten I kept the large pup here.
I also have a very nice pup on bill amoena stolonifera varieagate.

Well its time I went out and had my morning chat with the plants before I am off again over to Casterton.
I need a new pair of garden shoes and usually find what I want over there.
Its always nice to go out for a drive anyway.
I hope i see someone popping in later.
Hope everyone is well.
Trish, Teresa, Nev & Brian.

pic 1... bill amoena stolonifera.

pic 2 the very large rose that was here when I moved in. Its about 6' high and as wide too.
Does a great job of sheltering the plants I have under the shadecloth on the clothesline frame.
I dont know the name of the rose but its an old one.

Take care
Jean.