Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 5

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

If it were my yard, I'd move them now so they can root in before the cold temps.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

bluepoppy--

In spring everything is still cold from the winter, including the soil.
It would take a long time for the soil to warm up for them to root in
if you waited until spring.

Yes! I agree with Jeff--it is best done in the fall--sometime in mid October?
You can even cut the tops back a bit before you dig them up.
You know--the shrub will lose a good amount of roots in being dug up--
so it is good to balance it out by removing some of the top growth.

Good luck! Gita

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

My thought was if is a cold winter like a couple winters ago and alot of the Butterfly Bushes around here didn't make it. SO didn't know if I should risk it this fall. But I guess I will try it.
Thanks

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good point. Given that you're in zone 6a, personally I would wait to see whether they survive the winter before going to the trouble of moving them....unless you're moving them to a more protected location where they're more likely to survive, that is.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Bluepoppy, my thoughts are to leave Butterfly Bush in place til Spring, but to root prune it in October. This will mean new roots can grow and that plant has best chance to survive winter and lessen transplant shock when you do move it.

Here is a how to link:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/shrubs/hgic1055.html

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I took some of Gita's assorted houseplants to work yesterday. Did I tell you the Master Gardener had to cancel her talk for Saturday? Anyway, most of the plants were taken in one day, lol. Gita, they were much appreciated!
One lady has a son very interested in plants - very excited!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Saly--
Does this mean you don't have to be at the Library until 2PM?

Does this mean you will be home to leave earlier for the swap???
hint...hint....
I had "nightmares" last night b/c I have so many plants to bring that they won't fit
in Robin's car. Judy is also riding with Robin. How much do you have, Judy?

Everything I have is potted--so that takes up more space.
I was freaking out that I may have to drive and follow Robin in my car.
I have NO idea how to even get to Frederick! Sally/Mark always drive--
and I pay no attention to where they are driving.

***he worst.......I could lose Robin's car in traffic and be completely lost.

***Cam--I was going to ask you to literately describe each road I need to take--
where to turn, what the # of the route is, etc...etc.

Also--if I would have to also drive--I would be taking a different route when
going home--no need to swing by sally's. Like---#40 / I-70 all the way to Baltimore.

I could do a Map Quest...???? HELP!!!

Hoping all the stuff will fit in Robin's car.... Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Do you have a smart phone Gita, with GPS? Also, don't use Mapquest, they're terrible. Google maps is where it's at.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--I have NO smart phone---you're kidding--right? Us seniors ARE WAYYY
behind times! I hardly ever even use my elementary cell phone.

If I need--i will use Google maps.....Hope everything fits into Robin's car.

If I have to--I may sit on sally's steps and wait for her to get home...

:o(

Frederick, MD

Deleted directions so no internet crazy people visit me.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2015 4:08 PM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah it doesn't sound that hard to get to G, I think you'll be fine. It's not like Robin will leave you hanging. I'm sure she'll pull over if she sees you get stuck at a light.

Gita, you really should come into the 21st century and get a smart phone. Or perhaps you could just get a GPS unit for your car. Then you could be zipping all over the place.

Frederick, MD

Not a single traffic light to get stuck out once she gets out of Baltimore.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, cam--I will copy that out....

jeff--
I understand that almost EVERYONE has a Smartphone nowadays....
It is taken for granted...Wonder how many grandmother-aged people
would decide to get one and learn to use it???

To me--it would be like having to learn how to operate all kinds of new things again.
Like---when I had to learn to use the Computer. ,,"What is that "X" for again???

We have serious "One Phones" at work. One per department....They are, really,
hand held computers with all kinds of Aps and touch-screen options.
EVERYTHING can be found on it--that anyone would need to know about.

It scares me-- If I have to use it--cause I do not know how to use it. I should--but I do not
comprehend all this technology. Luckily--I seldom have to have it--as I am always
out in garden watering...

I have found out that I haave a mental block about any new technology....
My brain just shuts down.....
Odd--as I can, comfortably, answer any questions about gardening, plants, lawn care, etc.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You would be fine with an Iphone, they are the easiest things to use. My Dad is much like you, just a tad younger at 70 but even he has an Iphone. My wife's Dad is 72 and also has a smart phone. You can do it! Plus you have one heck of a support group here to teach you how to use it ;-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Is there a fee to be paid to have one? I am sure it is NOT scott free!

Just asking.........................G,

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well you have to get a data plan but for as much as you'd use a smart phone it probably wouldn't be that much more than you pay now. At AT&T right now, you can get an Iphone 5c for free with any two year contract. If you'd rather have a GPS for your car, I don't think you need to pay a fee or anything.

Gita,

I 70 gets you all the way to Frederick. Even if you just get off at any Frederick exit you'll be within minutes of the place, right Cam? Call us and we'll come get you.

Memorize
15 North to Thurmont- Hayward Drive

Sorry but there are staffing issues and I cannot take off more time at this point. Everybody would love to take off Saturdays- but then we can't open the branch. I am working until 12:45 pm and will be home just after 1 pm.

Jeff, I think a GPS is the way to go for Gita, if she wants to navigate.

I suppose I will have room to bring a few things in the van for you guys. Then that may ensure you can ride in one vehicle. I think you are meeting at my house? I might leave the van home, get another way to work and back, and you can pack some things in there. Please understand- if they don't fit, we must acquit the recipients may need to find another way to get them. It's not like we're delivering organs for transplant.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff---
Thanks for all your encouragement--but I KNOW I will not do it.

I have the whole bundle plan with Comcast---TV--Computer--and phone.
I would not want to replace one of them--who knows what that will mean
for my monthly payments.

Yes! A GPS is nice to have. Such security when driving in unfamiliar areas.

Everything will work out as it is now. Must believe that.

Gita

Frederick, MD

True, Sally... you can get to my house in some way from any Frederick exit but trust me, MUCH faster and easier if you pass by all the exits (when traveling North), stay on 15 all the way thru town and then look for Hayward and turn left there.

For those traveling on southbound Rt 15, of course you will turn right onto Hayward just before you get into Frederick.

coming north- Hayward is a LEFT exit?

Frederick, MD

Yes, coming from the south, traveling north... LEFT exit onto Hayward. Don't worry, you can't mess it up, there is no right turn. :)

I won't mess up. Mark will be driving.!! I have zero concern about not finding it.

Frederick, MD

There you go.... just sit back and enjoy the drive. Trust me, my home is very easy to get to.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I believe it is not your typical left exit where you just go in the left lane and the road goes in that direction. You have a turn lane and have to wait for traffic coming south and then turn left when there is a break in the flow of cars.

Frederick, MD

Exactly, Pat. No traffic light, just get in the turn lane and watch for traffic flying southbound on Rt 15. That whole area's traffic pattern is about to change, major construction going on. One of the reasons is for that dangerous turn due to the speed of cars coming toward you, so everyone be careful !

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I am so tired and glad it is all over......but it was a great time. Ric and I hosted the York Garden Club's Fall Picnic. Approx 60 people came to visit and tour our gardens and it was great fun showing it all off. Since we came home from our trip two week's ago it has been crazy getting everything cleaned up. Weeded, deadheaded, mulched and edged, not to mention the house cleaning.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD

Great pics, Holly... the yard and beds look so nice !

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One of the members that I particularly like asked if we do anything else but garden. I said no. She told me that she quite often thinks that all she does is garden and her place doesn't look near as good as mine. All the ladies thought that Ric is wonderful because he gardens. I kept hearing how their husbands have no interest in the gardens and don't want to help with any of it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Dear Holly and Ric---

As I imagine you know by now---there is a price to pay for perfection.

G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes Gita, Every night when I sit down I feel like it is too much trouble to stand back up for anything. LOL and even though it looks really nice it is far from perfect. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, glad the event went well. Your place always looks so nice. Yep, I always thought it was great that Ric enjoys gardening as much as you do. Mike will do the big things like making paths through the woods and hauling dirt and mulch, but he rarely wants to help with anything like weeding, planting, or spreading the mulch. Would be so nice if he enjoyed it as much as I did LOL.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly and Ric, you did it! I hope your backs are holding up ok. :)

Your yard looks beautiful! It's such a great place for a large gathering. We missed you at CAM's, though!

It looks like you didn't get rained on too badly. We were supposed to get a sprinkling or two, but we ended up getting some pretty steady light rain throughout the day. Definitely a welcome surprise.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No rain till after the party. Just a slight drizzle started just as the last people were leaving.

that's great Holly, and your place looks super as usual!

waking up at 4 am let me make a batch of muffins, a batch of rice to go with leftovers and be my lunch at work, and dig through the external hard drive for vacation pictures from 2012, tossing and scanning through tons of old garden pics . Still didn't find what I was looking for. Just hope I can keep going at 2 pm today!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You're going to need a mid afternoon pick me up. Maybe you go get a Red Bull at lunch and save it for that much needed shot in the arm later on.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW Sally, All I did when I woke up about 2:30 was to roll over and try to go back to sleep. Then again at 3:15, 4:00, 5:30 I almost threw in the towel, then finally at 7:30 I got up. LOL
Kicking back today, house is clean, yard is groomed going to start packing for the Beach we are heading out on Friday and take my Mom to a Dr appt this afternoon.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad the rain held off and I am SURE they all had a great time, cuz youse guys know how to party. Hehehe

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I almost have everything from the YGC picnic put away, then I can start packing fishing and beach stuff. By the time I get to the beach I may wait 3 days to buy bait and just nap in seclusion on the beach. Holly has at least 2 nights out planned for this week and we leave Friday. I,m ready for a staycation, just buy plenty of dog yummies for Alfie, comfort food for us, and turn off the phones for a couple of weeks.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Enjoy it! Staycations are good sometimes

received my college's magazine and there was this pic. Imagine my surprise when I saw....ME. This was the group that took two courses for five weeks on an island off Exuma led by Dr. Colson. I was his lab assistant. What an incredible experience!!! Can you find me in the pic? Hehehe

Thumbnail by Jan23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.