Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 5

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

HJolly--That is SOOOOOO funny!!!

You have an AMAZING Family! With--an AMAZING sense of humor!!!

What will you now do with all those Flamingos????

I KNOW!!! I KNOW!!!! Bring one to every Swap you attend from now on
and put it by the mailbox, or whatever is in the front of the house, so people
KNOW they have arrived at the location. Better than balloons......

Welcome back! You guys sure travel a lot..... G.

From my trip to AK----

1--Where the Glaciers end--into a lake--which flows into the sea.

2-Harding ice Field---the "Mother" of ALL glaciers in AK.
These are the tips of mountains--elow them, is solid ice--thousands of feet below...!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Welcome home guys, sounds like it was a fantastic trip. Love the flamingos, wonderful welcome home.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What a nice welcome home surprise! Glad you made it back safe and sound.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita What beautiful pics. Yes we did see the Harding Icefield, Even saw it calving and heard the White Thunder. The sound that a Glacier makes when it calves. It is hard to even imagine how huge this thing is. It is a mile wide at this opening and I can't even think how high it is hundreds and hundreds of feet high.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wonderful!!!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I had to look up what 'calving' meant. Saw a cool video of a mega glacier calving. Pretty cool to hear I bet.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, welcome back! Sounds like a FANTASTIC trip. How did your back hold up? Crazy family - love those flamingos LOL.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Back held up well enough for me to do all I wanted. Had to use the cane and sat down on pretty much every bench I came to. Had several very rough nights after (long for me) hikes and uphill to see a couple of waterfalls. They were really worth the effort.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, look at that glacier! I'm glad your back didn't give you too much trouble.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Finally found a pic for my Avatar. LOL

it's a cute one!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I second that. How cold was it there?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not sure but it was much cooler at the Glacier, at least it wasn't raining that day. I did some whale watching in the rain and wind. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

What cruise line did you guys take?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Princess, It was a nice ship with lots of activities. They had a Naturalist on board that gave talks on Glaciers, wildlife and the area we were traveling thru. Usually an hour or so before we went thru an area that was likely to have whales or before viewing the Glaciers. Then he did a broadcasted Whale watching in certain high activity areas. They had several other speakers first woman Iditarod Race winner, an Alaska Cinematographer and Park Rangers from Glacier Bay National Park.

sounds wonderful!
Iditarod, Libby Riddles according to my google search- I read her book, fascinating

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's great Holly, sounds like fun. Darcy always wants to go on an Alaska cruise. I know I'd enjoy it but I think it'd be weird being on a cruise ship and having to bundle up. No getting a tan on that trip.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes you do want warmer clothes, We wore what I think of as Fall Clothes, Fleece jacket, hat, gloves and rain coat. Most of the time we were just fine but whale watching in the wind and rain and near the glacier we needed every bit of what we brought. I should have bought a knit hat. The cruise was nice but if you are going all the way up there look at a land-based tour to go with the cruise.
So Jan, I can't remember which thread the Yurt discussion was in so I am putting this here. LOL
So Ric and I stopped by this Yurt, it was in Eagle River Valley Park to be used a classroom.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Our appetite was whetted(whet?) last year when we went to Alaska. On our list again sometime.

Yep, that's a yurt. Looks to be about the same size as the one we rented. They are pretty cool!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't know if Ric and I will get a chance to get back but I would love to Fly into Fairbanks and spend some time in the Denali area we never did get farther North than Palmer.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey all. It is Pat (ecnalg's) birthday today!!! Hope you have a good one Pat. I think it rained just for you so you get a break dragging the hoses around today lol.

Happy birthday, Pat!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you both. The rain yesterday was quite a treat and so nice not to have to do the hoses today. David is still in Texas, but called already this morning.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Happy Pat. Have a good one.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Wishing you a VERY Happy Day!
The best---for the best! Gita

Pic--My weirdo Petunia....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday, dear!!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you all for the good wishes. Had lunch just now with my daughter.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday Pat I hope that lunch included cake, if not, then here's one for you.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Pat!! I hope you had a great day.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you both. What a lovely cake.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Pat!!!! Sorry I'm a little late. My Mom's birthday is 9/11 also. She is 59.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes, Happy belated Birthday Pat!

The Fall is such a lovely time to be born.

I see that it is our Catmint's Birthday today. So, Happy Birthday Robin! Hope you have some time today to enjoy your garden and your daughter. Hope all of the pollinators you have planted for and nurtured keep you entertained on this your special day. It's a good day to fly!

Thumbnail by coleup
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What a cool shrub! Thank you both for the birthday wishes, and a happy birthday to Catmint. Also to AspenHill Terri's husband.

I never looked forward to my birthday growing up as it always meant that school had started again and summer vacation was over.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday, Robin!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Please don't fuss about this link being from the "Other" Site---

It is an amazing collection (25!) of Salvias.
Beautiful pictures and commentary from thphotographers.

Enjoy! I bookmarked this. Gita

http://allthingsplants.com/ideas/view/dave/2475/The-Top-Salvias/

Gita, thanks for the link! I've been on the hunt for different kinds of salvias, so this is a very useful list for me.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--
every week (??) they feature a Favorite Plant. Like--"Spotlight on.....???? "

Just take a look-see--you may want to bookmark all these "featured" plants.

I have not seen them all--but I always get their Newsletter in my e-mails.
Then I just open it up and see what's special that week.

Never knew there were that many salvias!!! Gita

Three days late, and two dollars short- Happy Birthday Pat!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday CatMint! Coleup, that is an awesome "dancing tree"! Where is it?

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Wondering if anyone can help me this morning.?
I have several Butterfly Bushes that need moved. Just bloomed this year.
Can I do it this fall or should I wait till spring?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.