Plant Propagation , The Basics ,Continued May 2015

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

HI Jen, I am at work today, as I am everyday *sigh* anyway, airbags are 70% of our business right now.

I know you are impatient, but u gonna have to wait on that second piece to start leafing out. My cutting just put out two leaves, tiny, but I am happy. I need to move it to a different spot .. I will take a pic of mine next time I am down in the basement garden, I am already thinking of bringing things in before we leave in September for Buffalo. Before I can do that I have to de-bug and clean down there. Never did move out the passion vines down there, but they are happily climbing along the ceiling on ribbons and yarn. the cuttings that rooted are outside on the arbor, competing with the morning glory's and other vines I have out there.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, Debra, when you talk about your vines climbing and crawling along the ceiling, I think of a fish net, or this netting they sell to keep deer etc. out. Think that is what you need up there. Maybe put some hooks in the ceiling here and there nd just put something like that on it. Seems like it would work and you wouldn't be running yarn etc. everywhere. Bet that is having fun to you.

What is the trip to Buffalo? For how long? Who is going to feed Gemma and the rest? They might be eating each other while you are gone. LOL, just kidding.

I suppose you are right, I just really don't want that shoot to die. I know all the strength is going into the other one, but do you think that second one will grow and leaf out? The part that I cut off and am trying to root, has got two leaves coming out at the same time. The one isn't even waiting for the last one to unroll before it is coming out of the stem of that leaf. But, I don't know if the thing even rooted. I'm sure it must have???? No, not sure. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello Jen ,, This Herbal moment is for you , pics of bronze fennel seedlings and a Hibiscus with a very , very red leaf ,

Debra , Hopefully that will change with the season ,, you know , the air changes ,, he , he ,, tee hee ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow JU hope my Bronze Fennel does that well. I can't even imagine that Hibiscus. Really? It sure doesn't look like the Hibiscus that Sharon sent me. I have 2 of them up and both look alike. The one is almost 2 feet tall and the small one, not sure what it is going to do. Looks like it got a pinched stem somewhere along the way. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My Hibiscus always start small . As they grow when they do , I'm happy with that , Bronze fennel are easy to grow Jen , One winter to big plant next season ,
Lots of large Herbs , lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So you are saying they will survive over the winter. Are you thinking we are going to have another mild winter? lol, I don't know whether I want one or not. Bob won't move if he doesn't have to shovel. I was sure last year with a hip replaced that that would be it. Think he shoveled once.

Well, nothing from Sharon, so going to bed. ttyl, 'nite. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes if their a few inches tall or so they will take very cold ,,, I do not want to get up and move if I have to shovel snow

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No, but wouldn't that be an incentive to move in the spring after a tough winter of shoveling snow? `

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That's what kids and snow blowers are for .. My lazy b move ,, you have got to be kidding !!! lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, unfortunately Bob figured out a way to do the driveway easy and fun. He bought a blade and installed it on his 4 wheeler, ATV so he has fun doing the driveway and gets it just the way he wants it and times himself to see if he can beat his last best time.

The shoveling comes in on the decks. They really pile it up. Especially the kitchen where 2 roofs "A frame style' >GRIN< dump on it. that is where the garbage cans are and the way it piles up, you cannot let it go or we wouldn't have a deck standing come spring. And probably rip the siding off the house too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Maybe they ought to put you 2 on Mountain Men , lol well half way there anyway ,, lol you are in a good mood today aren't you Jen , lol
You realize of course .. snow and lots of snow is what happens when you live on or in the Mountains ,,
Of course to that ,, The Caveman living "in" the Mountain was cursing about knocking all the snow away from the front door ,, I don't think they had back doors in those cave days ,,
??? .. Of course they did have some right large rock overhangs ,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You know JU, I don't know if we even thought about living here this many years. If Bob did, I didn't think about it I guess. You know, when you are feeling good, you don't think about the trials and tribs that the future could bring. Actually, we bought the place in 1989 feeling pretty good, but in 1993 is when most of my medical problems started becoming an issue bad enough for me to retire in 1994 at 55 years old.

Yup, Clinton assigned the job of reducing the Federal work force that year to Al Gore and made it possible for me to retire then. Trying to get rid of mid- management where most of the money was going to.

I still could have put the place up for sale then I suppose. Never entered my head. And, as they say, the rest is history.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

hello from Hell o.. sheesh we are burning up! Jen, the datura? seeds you sent me are up.. hope they hang in there..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra were at 88 coming up then 90 if it rains as expected and even if not with this humidity it is going to be H.o..t.. .

I believe I have some small false nettle plants , My seedlings are all small though

Jen , you like living where you live ,, nothing changes that ,,I was picking a few cucumbers today ,or dodging mosquitoes ,,playing is playing ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra, yours are the only ones I have heard that actually germinated. Even mine didn't come up. So I sure do hope yours hold in there and bloom. Would sure love to see them. Our temps went down into the 70s for a day or two, but now back up into the 80s and that is really nice and comfortable 'cause we don't have any of the humidity like JU is talking about. Very nice. Think they said a couple of days in the 90s and that is about it for the rest of July I think.

Hope you are not so bad at work now Debra. Sounds like it might be back to the norm now. Hope so for your sake. ttyl, jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few plant photo's , The Giant Lillium in the Rubeckia .
Debra has a few of these

Trying to start some more of a few . Jungle cleaning now though
A coleus , most are chewed up .
A three foot Tuberosa , growing in partial shade

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, what are those little flowers in the third picture?

I only got about 9 Milkweeds up in my big planter and the Bronze Fennel aren't up yet. It is getting late in the season to just be getting things germinating. Do have some tomatoes on my plants tho. Bob has quite a few on his on the other deck. I was late planting mine tho.

Well, I got all my houseplants rearranged today and watered and a lot of them fertilized. So, hopefully they will do better.

JU, I think we are getting a lot of replies on here, over 200. Why don't you kick it up a notch? LOL, jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Third pic is Butterfly weed Jen ,, A Tuberosa Milkweed , that is one plant ,,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.