Plant Propagation , The Basics ,Continued May 2015

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ju, that is really interesting. Bob puts regular fennel in spaghetti when he makes it. Really finishes it off. Did not know the Bronze was edible tho. Very interesting. I planted a big pot of Milkweed seeds yesterday. Hope it isn't too late to enjoy them. So, now I will have another attractant for the Monarchs.

So now JU, you need to send Debra some seeds too. Put it in your spaghetti sauce you guys. I suppose you have no reason not to believe the person posting on DG.

My car, Debra, Long story, not going to get into it other than to say I had some extensive work done on it, over $2000. and the repairman screwed up and it fried the computer in it. That poor car is on it's 4th trip between Washington and Idaho repair shops. The dealer now has it, putting in a new computer. Big bucks. They should have just paid me off for the car. Would have been cheaper.

Now am just waiting for the hemming and hawing, trying to get out of paying for a lot of this. Last I talked to them I flat out told them I would not take the car unless it was 100% fixed. We'll see. Been over 2 weeks. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I planted some today , the Bronze Fennel ,, I will plant a few more when I get to them ,
Sure I will talk with Debra about the fennel seeds and send some to her ,,
Just make sure to pick the Black swallowtail butterfly worms or cats off before you eat any ,, oooooeeewwww!!!
Did you ever get the seeds Jen , the Fennel , ?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You are really gross JU. No, I didn't get them. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oh well I will wait a week , if they do not show I will send again ,,
I sent them 3 days before I sent Sharon the plants , they should be there

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Jen . Check it out , there is a fly on your computer screen ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

That is beautiful, JU. Jen don't know what is wrong with the car, but I sure hope they get it fixed for you. I think I have fennel seeds here. I didn't know about bronze. I learned something.
blanket flower, milk weed Swan Plant, milkweed Ice Ballet, milkweed cinderella, butterfly milkweed orange.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Really JU?? Did you?? send them that long go?? And we wonder why I am paranoid. Why are all my things going astray? I had a company replace 3 plants because the post office screwed up. Pretty damned sad.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes I did , maybe they all re-routed your address having some fun , I don't see the humor either ,, well anyway there is plenty , I have half a 2 liter bottle still full of the seeds .. I goof a lot .. my excuse for keeping the seeds

thought I'd show you some seedlings..please look past the cigarette. My milkweed tub is on the right hand side of the 4th picture. Almost every thing was started from seeds or cuttings, including the indian paint brush in the last photo, where it resides with the plumeria cutting, and an i batata piece that took.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well smarty, they must have a shelf life. How about letting go of some of them? I might get them by winter.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

we crossposted Debra. Wasn't calling you Smarty. JU. Your plants really look healthy. Almost have your patio screened off. Just not evergreen. Isn't that what you wanted, evergreens? Hard to help when we don't know your area. Difficult enough with my own. >smile< jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra , That is a very tidy looking garden , and some very , very nice planting enjoyment .. I am learning from you ,

Jen I sent you a 2x2 baggie full , well almost full ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Maybe will be here today. Will let you know. Thanks JU. Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, isn't that strange. They must have repackaged it and put a later postmark on it. It says the 25th of June. How can they trick me like that JU? Well, despite what the post office did, I really appreciate the seeds JU. They look nice and fresh too. Like maybe you took them off of the plant last week. But we all know better don't we JU?

Thank you so much. Going out right now and put some in a pot on the deck. Thank you. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I picked the whole dried bloom , last year some , year before others , left them in an open bottle on the stems . They still smell like vanilla ? fennel ,
I do not know how long they keep untreated and never fertilized while grown , there ya go organic grown fennel seed , As for dust in the container , oh well ,,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This is cute , among a bunch of weedy dead nettle all the little round leaves every where , the Daylily is the main plant , between the leaves rising at the screen to the right is what appears to be a little false nettle ,, to the left , just above a right angle grass stem is what appears to be a Campanula ,
or Gaillardia ,
I failed with some seeds earlier ? ooops ..lol Took the camera for me to see or notice they were there ,, my , my ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Have any of you grown and gathered seed off of Bells of Ireland? They are so beautiful. I just love them. I have one in the middle of about 8 or 9 planters on the livingroom deck and they are gorgeous. Light green flowers on spikes about 18 inches tall, And some have several spikes. Oh, forgot. my orchid that I thought I was losing is getting a new flower spike. I have never had them and they are so cool. Well, it is a fun season because of all the
flowers my sister gave me that I never grow, and the ones i bought that I have never had before.

In another couple of weeks of Bob fertilizing everything I will try to post some pictures.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have grown Shamrocks , not those though ,
I am happy when anything is big and strong and does well for viewing

oh I love Bells of Ireland, I have never grown any, and can't wait to see yours. I have oxalis everywhere, if you wants some Ju, say the word. first month of the summer ends tomorrow.
I planted at least three of every seed I own and those are in the out front triangle garden where the banana is, and it now has two leaves. Can't wait to see what pops up out of all those seeds.

Is dead nettle a good plant? I pull it out ...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Dead nettle has no use I know of at all , it is everywhere here , I cut it , I burn the roots , Still it grows over everything , impossible for a weed to be a weed ? well if there ever was such a thing as a weed ? dead nettle gets the title here ,
Oxalis will come later , trying to keep up with what I have ,, nice offer though , always , Some of sunflowers are getting ready to bloom ,
and of all things I am collecting Bur Clover seeds for a fiitillary butterfly pot ,, what a thing ...

Good luck and hopes with those seeds ,, I am back to attempting cement pots , in a few days I might show ,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra it must be fun to go out every day and try to guess what it is. Starting from seeds is so much fun. Yes, the Bells of Ireland even make great plants for cutting and in the house. I am sure they are what makes a florist shop smell so good.

Bob and I were sitting out on the deck for a couple of hours this evening before it rained, and it was so nice wondering which of the flowers I was smelling.

Well, Bob has a movie on so guess I will watch it.

ttyl,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A Guara Bloom

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is pretty JU. jen

great shot and I love that one. It looks like your gardens are in full swing of color.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Giant Purple Zinnia prurple coneflower

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

very pretty JU, but that pink doesn't look like the purple I thought I bought, So, how big is giant? That is the seed I sent you isn;t it? Doesn't matter, it still is very pretty. I would love to see a picture of as much of your yard as you can get. Like Debra said, must be pretty colorful. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes That is the seeds from you Jen , 4inches across about , I will get a ruler and measure it tomorrow , yard is less colorful this year , Shortly when I can show some more blooms , and can get a pic without showing other properties , I will pic ,
Lots of coneflowers and some more Zinnia that are a while away from blooming ooops ,
Your zinnia Jen , is taller than my waist ,4ft, or so ?

This message was edited Jul 2, 2015 1:05 AM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, Maybe you can cut them to the height you want and put them in jars down amongst your other flowers. Quit laughing JU, just a thought, and I thought a pretty good idea.

Guess I told you I broke down and ordered an air conditioner. Will be here Monday I guess. And, then after I did that, the plumber told me I had to buy a new dishwasher. So, Bob said since I bought the air conditioner, he would buy the dishwasher and I said ok I will pay to install it. The plumber told me to let him know when I got it and he would put it in. I just hate to have him do it. He has Emphysema. Very bad. But, I suppose he could use the money too. He doesn't charge enough tho. Bob will have to go get it next Wednesday.

Poor Candy crawled into her crate yesterday she was so hot Bob couldn't get her out. Finally I told him to take her to town in the Volkswagen with the air conditioner on and pick up my book at the library. I had gotten an email saying they had it. He finally got her to go. When they got back she was prancing all over the place. Like giving her a shot in the arm. It is pretty hot today too. She is lying on the entryway pavers now. They are pretty cool. Well, I see Tiger at the door. Wonder how long she has been out there. ttyl,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Air conditioners are a handy item , So are bug lights and zappers
Here's the zinnia with a popsicle stick laying on it

Coneflowers , the one by itself is a white
feverfew and a wild sunflower

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here are the pots I been playing with and 5 inch or so garden stones last is still upside down in the mold Obviously the second pic the mold should of been a little larger ,, patch it is , I guess

This message was edited Jul 2, 2015 6:13 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Very nice blooms Ju, I planted a few Feverfew I grew from seed this year, mine don't look as good as yours.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mipii Thank you !!! I plan on growing more in fact I have 8 or 9 seedlings I need to pot up , That plant has been blooming since mid April about , Cut as they fade and they rebloom , Makes a nice larger type edging plant ,
Good luck with yours I am sure they will come along , All season bloomers are hard to come by

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This is interesting , The Senna seed from Debra that grew , I placed this plant in clean starter earth mix as a sprout ,
It now has a runner and another runner node and it is only about five inches tall ,, I have never seen such a young plant , make runners like this ,
The runner sprout one
in the garden pot 2

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, you sure are good with your plants. Must be all the rain, ya think? lol. Yes that is a giant zinnia. But, cut it off and put the blooms in jars in between your other plants. Your planters are going to sure come in handy. Also the stepping stones. How thick are you making them? Don't forget to make them thick enough for the rain. lol. We will take some of it here. Still in the high 90s and triples. Can't complain tho when I see what Sharon has.

Where did Evelyn go again? Wonder what they are doing.

Well, Bob is watching a show on TV, I keep falling asleep. My blood pressure is so low. The dr. thinks it is just right, 115/57. might be good for some people, but not for me. I am cutting one of my bp meds in half but it is already only 5 mg. Norvasc generic.

Good grief, the power just flickered enough to stop all the things with clocks. Bob's show will take at least 5 minutes to come back on.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The stepping stones are about 6 inches thick , pretty heavy , yeah , lots of rain ,,
Kinda run down tonight ,,

something that likes the rain ,
Daylily one of three clumps

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, 6 inches!! Bet those are heavy. Hope you don't have to move them too far. Wait until they are totally dry. That might help.

I have a lot of pruning to do out there. Poor roses haven't been pruned in a couple of years. Also my black lace Elderberry tree. Almost lost it, but hopefully it will make it. Need s pruning and fertilizer, as everything out there does. Bob did spray foliar, but I don't think that is enough.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

The photo are the three plants that are still alive from the seeds planted for the Pink Mexican Bird of Paradise. The rate they are growing, I might live to see them grow into a bush. They are now 2 years old. There are actually 4 plants in the pot but one you can barely see. I broke it while transplanting and it is coming back from the root.

Temperatures just dropped about 10 degrees and it is raining. Will not be a long rain but a very welcomed rain.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sharon That is an interesting looking plant , good to hear your efforts are being successful .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gosh, I have never seen a BOP with leaves like that. Pink you say, well that is interesting. I got a white one for a friend and it didn't really look any different than the common ones. That will be interesting to see Sharon. Where did you get the seed?

How is your leg today? jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

DEBRA!!! Where are you?? Haven't heard from you in a long time. Are you ok, or just busy? Just, I say. LOL, are you still in it deep at work? I haven't heard anything about airbags in a while so thought things were settling down for you. Maybe???

I do have a question for you. My Variegated split leaf Deliosia or however you spell it, Monstera, remember, I cut it off and am trying to root the top? Well, the top has gotten 3 new leaves and they are coming out, new ones, before the last ones are opening up. So, don't know if it has roots, but it sure is growing. Anyway, the bottom of the plant that had roots, got 2 new spurs. Good, but, one is getting nice big variegated leaves, 2 so far, and the other spur is just sitting their about an inch and a half long, and doing nothing. How do I get that little bugger to grow? Wish I could send pictures, but me and my camera and the computer just can't dance for some reason. In other words, I can't get the pictures to transfer to the computer from the camera.

If'/when you get time, I sure would appreciate some help. And, hope everything is ok with you. Let me know if they aren't, and I will leave you alone. Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.