April is Awesome!!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks, ladies for the info. I had put peroxide in there at one time, but didn't really know what I was doing. I'll give that a try again. It's so cheap it's worth a try. My pond is really small - about 1200 gallons. I have some sort of powder treatment that usually works on the string algae. I just didn't know if the fish themselves were the problem or if the koi would be better.

I too have lost some fish over the years due to some sickness, but it always seems to be just one losing scales or something, not the whole lot of them. I used to have some really pretty shubunkins, but they were the ones that seemed to die off.

Charlotte, is your pond in the shade? Mine is in the sun and that is why I get a lot of string algae. It's not bad in the winter.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't think it matters what kind of fish, Elaine mine is in the sun but I don't get the string algae. That might be b/c of the UV light. My algae is in the water and you can't see the bottom when it happens. I haven't replaced the UV bulb this year, yet but haven't had the problem that I normally have using the peroxide either.

If I'm gonna have fish die, from natural causes, it seems like it is always this time of the year. Next to Cracker, Jethro was my biggest fish and oldest. He was fine the day before. Dead the next. I miss him already.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes mine is in the shade. It does get some sun during the day but not all day. When I first put mine in I had problems getting the water adjusted. I would have problems with algae and cloudiness. I kept using all kind of things to treat the water. Don't think any of that is good for the fish. It has to develop beneficial bacteria. I guess it finally did that and things straighten out on their own.. Do you do a small water change every week (backwash). My water will get cloudy and I can't see the bottom if my ph is too low. As soon as I put baking soda in you can start to see the cloudiness disappear. I test it with a ph kit but you can also tell the ph is too low by the way the fish act. This is also the time of year the fish spawn. I've lost some due to injuries they get from spawning. They get really rough and aggressive. I lost a really really pretty yellow koi that way. They are really hard to find. I found another one last year but it's not as pretty as the one I lost.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I got the message about Jerry getting hurt this morning. I've been praying for him. I hope things are going ok for him! When will he have his surgery? It much be pretty serious for them to transfer him to UAB in Birmingham. Let us know what is going on with him.

Well I am upset! I went to Drug Emporium this afternoon and had my debit card declined!! I knew there was not a reason for it to be declined but was in a hurry and thought maybe I had just entered the wrong pin number. But gave them another card and then went to Kroger and gave them my debit card and the same thing!! When I got home I went on line to check my account and discovered they had put a restriction on it and gave me a number to call. Turned out my card had been comprised somehow. I get so tired of that happening. Yesterday I went to the service station and and to McDonalds. They wouldn't tell me where it happened but just that it had happened. My guess it was at the service station. I bet it had one of those card reader things on it. I've heard of that happening several times at service stations. No charges have appeared on my card. He said they have the information and could try to use it tomorrow or some other day so they just cancelled the card. Now it will be 5 to 7 days before I have a new card. I use it almost every day rather than carrying cash. Just makes me mad!!!

I don't think we're going to be seeing much of Jake for the next few years. He called me yesterday and he is going back to Hungary this summer. He's not going on a program. He contacted the school he was at last summer and they want him back and will provide housing for him for the summer. The school will be in session for just 2 months this summer but they are going to provide him housing for three months. So he plans to stay in Hungary all summer. He not planning to do as much traveling around Europe this summer but spend most of his time doing things in Hungary. I guess just being a Hungarian! He really seems to like Europe. He planning to go back when he gets his degree in Dec. and work in Europe for one or 2 years.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Cayla just posted that Jerry is in trauma section and has been for 3 hrs and they will not let Sandra even in to see him. They still haven't done anything surgery wise.

Charlotte, that is such an honor for Jake. He apparently made a good impression or they wouldn't be so nice!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh my that really sounds serious!!! They have had so much sickness. I know Sandra is beside herself!

Going to Memphis tomorrow with Kim, Kathy Ann, and Sarah. The three of us are caravaning over (2 cars gotta have room for plants). Several others are meeting us at the Botanical Gardens. I'm not sure who all is going. I know Loretta. I think Sandra was planning to but of course will not now. I have a sitter coming to stay with Richard tomorrow. I have so much to do tonight.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That's right!!! I forgot that was this weekend!! Yall have a good time!!! I really wish we were all closer!!! It would be so good to see everybody again. I think I read that Elaine was gonna be in Tennessee this weekend too.

Ripley, MS

HOME ! What a wonderful place to be, Praise God I have my husband !!! We are not finished with treatment we go back to UAB on 4/23 and then another appointment already scheduled for 4/28
The reason we were sent to UAB was the flap of skin that was torn away didn't look viable, they don't do skin grafts at Tupelo, even though it is a huge hospital they can't handle that. The doctors in the trauma unit at UAB do think the skin will live. Jerry watched them sew the tendons back together and he does have some movement in all fingers, which he didn't have before they sewed the tendons back.
He is getting relief from his pain meds. We don't have the arm casted yet either as it was swelled too bad to cast, it is in a splint and will have to have a cast the Ulna bone is broken. All this is the right arm, his left arm has some cuts and bruises on it but nothing there is broken or stitched.
I had already told Kathy Ann I wouldn't be there today because of Jerrys heart, just don't want to be that far away from him right now. I hope they had a good time and got lots of goodies.

Hi Sandra! So sorry to hear about Jerry and the pain he must be in. Have been praying for him and you too since yesterday when Genna let me know. I wish I could have been there with you at UAB! I know they do some great things there and trust you were happy with the care there.

Yes, we are in Nashville today and tomorrow. Performance of Elijah with the Nashville choir is tomorrow and we are having lunch with Earl's friend and his wife. This is his childhood friend who had the stroke last year. He's doing better but still has mobility and speech issues and can't live at home full time. So sad really, as he was so outgoing. Has not lost ability to read and understands everything.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I'm so glad Jerry is OK and you all are back home. What a terrible thing to happen!! I'm glad you all were able to get somewhere that knows how to take care of that type injury.

We had a really fun day in Memphis shopping for plants! The weather held out and we didn't run into rain until we got about 30 miles from home and the bottom dropped out. Just glad we didn't have to drive the whole way in the rain. None of us seemed to buy as much as usual today. I think I probably bought the most. I had not bought anything so far this year.

I hired a caregiver through Visiting Angels to take care of Richard. He loved her!! He just went on and on about how nice and kind she was to him. She sat with him and talked to him and watched tv with him all day. They sat outside some and watched the fish. I don't think he had any nap today. He told me he was sad to see her leave! He should sleep good tonight!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad that Yall are home and Jerry isn't in too much pain!!! I'm glad the second place was able to do something and that he has movement in his fingers!!! That is what Tammy teaches in St. Augustine, hand therapy and reconstruction. She is really good at it and loves helping people. I remember thinking she was crazy when she picked this as a career.

I thought I remembered that you were in Tennessee, Elaine but then couldn't remember why. Lol!!!

Elaine that is wonderful that you were able to find someone so good right off the bat. That will take a lot of the worry out what you need to do.

18 years ago my precious step daughter, Joann, begged me to raise her children if something happened to her and then she died that night. It has been a long road and I have wondered at times if I would ever make it to this day but Ashley turned 18 on last Thur. I completed my commitment and while I know it would never be over I feel the weight of the world has lifted!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri that was a big commitment! You have done a great job. It's not easy raising two kids.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

They have reached the age but I don't really guess I'll ever be finished. Just a goal met!!!

Ripley, MS

That is true, even with the grandkids you don't have to raise, you still feel like you have a responsibility to them. Your daughter has smiled on you these many years and trials and God's grace brought you to this 18th birthday.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Exactly!!! TG!!!

Jeri, Happy Birthday to Ashley! It is wonderful that you have taken care of these children and brought them into adulthood! Yes, they will always need you and your help and guidance, but this is definitely a huge milestone. With God's grace and help, they will make it the rest of the way too.

We had a good weekend in Nashville. Mike and Amy had a good time too I know. Earl is more comfortable helping Mike now. He can stand and move from his wheelchair onto a regular chair, and Earl helps him in the men's room for example, so Amy doesn't have to do that. When they are by themselves, she either has to take him into a women's restroom or ask a man to guard the men's room door so she can take him into a men's room. People just don't understand. And most restaurants don't have a 'family' restroom.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad you all had a good weekend with your friends. I know they really enjoy getting out and doing things with you all. Going to the bathroom also becomes a problem with Alzheimer's. They lose the ability to fasten and unfasten their pants, zipper and belt. I bought elastic waist pants for Richard. They are like what used to be called putter pants. I had to order them from a specialty clothing store. Even with those it is becoming a problem. He went to the restroom at a restaurant recently and thank goodness we were sitting right by the door. I looked up when he came out and he had forgotten to pull his pants all the way up. They were below his butt! You have to learn to be fast!! I ended up in several men's restroom before I got the putter pants.

We had tornado warnings out in the state late yesterday evening. I don't believe we actually had any tornadoes but we had a lot of hail around 8:30 pm. It was marble size and some a little bigger. Our whole stone patio area was white! I had a flat of dragon wings begonias that are just beat to pieces. Thankfully it want take long for new growth. I'm sure there is a lot of other things that are damaged. The dogwood blooms are all gone. The hail knocked them all off. My koi pond was covered in blooms this morning. I had to use a net to skim them off.

I hope everyone has a good week!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Congratulations Jeri on fulfilling that commitment. I know you have gone above and beyond for them! I have wondered if anything ever become of Ashley's Dad taking all her SS money?? I hope that you were able to get that going to Ashley where it belonged and that hopefully he was punished for stealing the other all those years. :( That could have paid for her college or helped her get started in life for sure!

Sandra so glad that Jerry's injuries were not worse and that hopefully with a little time he will have full use of that arm and hand again! I hope his pain is continuing to improve.

Elaine, glad to hear that your friend is improving. Recovering from a stroke is a hard road, but with time they can make miraculous recoveries. Leigh wouldn't know what to do in a situation like that - I don't think men like to admit that problems can occur in life and so they don't know how to handle them when they do. There are exceptions to that of course, and I know some are wonderful caregivers when things happen, but many have a hard time dealing with it. I hadn't even thought about the fact that a lot of restaurants don't have family restrooms. I know more places have added them - I would have used them many times when the boys were little if they had been available.

I have a friend named Terressa that I used to show livestock with many years ago, and then we were at the same college together both as ag majors. She had a ROUGH life growing up and she was the oldest of I believe 6 kids....and her Dad was a really bad alcoholic and her Mom seemed to stay pregnant over the years and they were extremely poor. But, Terresa was such a hard worker and was so determined she was going to go to college. She did go to college and became a respected agriculture teacher and not only that ended up serving as mayor of a little town outside of Magnolia called Emerson for several years. In fact, she was just re-elected last November. She worked with the FFA and 4-H students, taught full time (ag is a 12 mo contract) and served as mayor...... but she suffered a stroke two weeks ago and passed away Saturday as a result of the complications. She was 52...... Very sad and kinda scary when you know someone that well that is that close to your age and dies of a stroke. :( They said she was usually up at 3 or 4 in the morning starting her day - she was dedication personified........

It is a gorgeous day here today.... but I gotta get back to work!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2015 10:37 AM

Ripley, MS

Sorry about your friend Genna, I also lost a friend this weekend, she was 69. We haven't been close for years as she moved away several years ago so I don't know what happened to her, just saw her obit. We worked together in a couple of different factories and were close then.

Jerry got aggravated with me on the way home Sat, I kept sending one of the son in laws with him to the rest room. He didn't need help to use it ,but I was afraid he might bump that arm and pass out. It really hurts when he moves it not being in a cast yet. One blessing in this the injured arm is the arm he has the straight wrist on. He told me he didn't pass out when it happened, why would he pass out now? "Men!!!" Remember when he had the hep c I told you he had a gunshot wound in 1972 that was the only blood transfusion he had ever had. Having a straight wrist on that hand for 40+ years he learned to use his left hand for many, many things. He even eats with his left hand. That wrist has screws in it and they were still intact.
He got a call from a friend of his that works the 11-7 shift and he told him an eye bolt broke. Jerry wasn't sure if it was the chain or what, he just headed for the rag bag, afraid he would bleed out being on that blood thinner, but God was in control and there was very little blood !!
I called for the appointments he needs and the doc we see Thurs is a plastic surgeon, he thinks that is probably who sewed the tendons back together in the ER but doesn't really know. I can understand why family can't go to the trauma area, but they need to be a little better to communicate with family members. He was so high on pain medicine is is a fog to him really.

Sandra, I totally understand your frustration, but I am fairly certain it has a lot to do with security in hospitals now. There have been so many bad things that happen in hospitals due to unruly family members or 'friends' who used to be allowed back in with their sick or injured loved one that they had to just stop. And then it also depends on how busy the nurses are & how and when and if someone can come out and speak with family members.

Meredith works on a trauma team and I know she tries to do what she can, especially when she picks up on the nice ones who are respectful, but she doesn't always have time. She really felt sorry for one patient recently who was having to wait for a room. The poor man was diabetic and had not had anything to eat for a while. She called her friend who works a few floors up, went up and got him a couple of sugar-free popsicle from their snack refrig and brought it down for him. You'd have thought he was just handed a $100 bill.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I agree with Elaine, I bet it has a lot to do with security and also a LOT of activity that goes on in trauma units, but I do agree there needs to be some direct communication with family members because it is so difficult to remember all that stuff they rattle off to you - especially if you have been drugged up.

It is a blessing that Jerry can do so much with his left hand. Is his heart doing better? I was worried they were going to need to put him under for surgery and that the irregular heart beat might be a problem.

Alex is in Ft. Worth this month working in the John Peters Smith Emergency Room on a visiting rotation. He was supposed to have gotten off at 2 last Friday, and Natalie had driven down for a visit. He ended up not getting off until 5 because he spent 6 hrs sewing a man up that had been attacked by a guy using a machete............ :( I guess that will make the gunshot wounds and knifings at UAMS look tame now.

Elaine, is Meredith your daughter? or DIL?

Ripley, MS

Yes and also so many patients in the trauma area because of spousal abuse or gunshot victims that the medical personnel can't be sure that the person claiming to be family is not the person who hurt them in the first place. You can't really tell much about the really bad arm as it is wrapped, but the fingers are swelled pretty bad and he isn't moving them exactly right

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I am behind again but I have been keeping up with Jerry and Sandra through other forums. It is by the grace of God that block that fell didn't hit Jerry in the head and kill him and also that he didn't bleed much since he is on a blood thinner.

Genna, I'm so sorry about your friend. I was going to mention the ER at UAMS but you already did. When I took Buddy there before he died, trying to even get in to the place was like going into a prison. You go through one of those metal detectors and you can't even get into the back part where the patients are unless the folks in the admission area "buzz" you in through the electronic door. All the admission folks are behind bullet-proof glass. I would hate to be in that place at night on a week-end! Fortunately. they put Buddy in a room by himself because they knew he was dying and they were very good about letting the family come in. At the time of his death there were 16 of us in the room with him. They had unhooked him from life support but it took about 10 minutes before he flatlined. Fortunately. they had given me a dose of a strong tranquilizer a bit earlier. My blood pressure went up to 186 over 110, too, and they gave me double the blood pressure med that I normally took. Before that, though, they had to put a man in the same room in the extra bed because they just didn't have any other place to put him. The guy was high on drugs but fortunately, they were able to move that guy out of there pretty quickly and we had the room to ourselves again. I have great admiration for those medical people who work in the ER at any major hospital!!

Charlotte, Jake will be getting some awesome experience during the time he spends in Hungary but I know you are disappointed that he won't be visiting you as usual this summer.

Elaine, my sister had a stroke in February, 2012. It affected her right side. At first she could hardly talk and couldn't walk at all or use her right arm, which is the hand she used for writing, eating, etc. With intensive therapy, she regained the ability to walk and to talk but she still doesn't have full use of her right hand and probably never will. She is fortunate to be alive, though, and her husband has been very good to take her where she wants to go and he sees to it that all of her needs are taken care of. They even had a party at Christmas for some of their good friends. Their youngest daughter and one of her friends came in and played "waiters" and even dressed the part in black slacks, white shirts and bow ties. :D Al and I were there, too, for part of the party as we had driven down for a holiday visit with my son and grandchildren. Anyway, I said all that to say that a stroke can be overcome but it takes a lot of hard work on the part of the person who had the stroke and the family, as well. Here's hoping Earl's friend recovers as well as my sister has.

Jeri, you deserve a medal (and more) for raising your grandchildren but I know you wouldn't have it any other way. Raising kids nowadays is not easy--not that it ever was but it seems they have far more temptations nowadays. There is just so much bad stuff thrown at them through the internet and other media. It's a good thing you are a strong-willed woman because a wimp could never have done it! Congratulations on getting Ashley to 18!!

My granddaughter, Samantha, age 21, will be graduating from the University of Central Arkansas in two weeks with the degree of "Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre and a minor Art". We will, of course, go down to Conway for the week-end. We will be staying with Zachary, my grandson, age 15, at the home of his mom and stepdad in the Jacksonville area because they will be out-of-town with their cooking team at a cook-off and have offered us their home for the week-end. Zachary's mom and I have maintained a good relationship since she and my son were divorced in 2007 (well, except for a very short period of time right after their divorce) and we talk frequently on the phone. It was her husband's idea for them to ask us to stay there, which I really appreciate.

I have been trying to type this with Laddy in my lap. He is wanting my attention. LOL

You ladies have a good evening!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra, we crossed. Wow! those photos are something!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

OMG Sandra!! That was really close!!! All of that from a bolt breaking?

I'm glad that you and Earl enjoyed your weekend with old friends!! There never seems to be enough time any more!!! How is your friend that had surgery doing?

Genna I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. When we loose older people throughout our lives it is hard but it's the cycle of life but when we loose someone around our own age it makes me question my own mortality.

Congrats to Samatha on her graduation!! She has grown up to be such a wonderful young lady and as odd as the weekend arrangement sounds with all the blended families now days it is the new norm.

Jimmy was late getting home today b/c he was working a human trafficking case with a 16 year old runaway and a 19 yr old child molester. He could write a book on just every day occurrences in his day.

Ripley, MS

Jeri, the part that hit him weighed over a ton. He had his hands under it when he heard the POP and jerked them back. The eye bolt that the chain hooks into is what broke and caused the part to fall. It was a part that goes into a die to stamp out a part.
Workmans Comp was supposed to get in touch with me today, but have not heard from them yet.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I had just written a long post I was about to send and accidentally hit something and it just disappeared!!! Will try again!!

Sandra I would hate to see what the really bad arm looks like!!! He was really fortunate he wasn't hurt worse than he was! I know he is having a really hard time resting. I've had very little experience with emergency rooms thank goodness. The only one I've been to is St Vincent when I split my head wide open and for Richard for a couple of issues. I know it's nothing compared to UAMS.

Marilyn I don't think it's odd for you all to stay at Zach's house. It just shows that his mom is a very mature person that caresfor her son. It's great that all of you can go to Samantha's graduation together. I know he is proud of his big sister! My brother and his wife divorced when my niece was 3 or 4. Her mom was always very kind to my parents. She always lived in another state and mother and daddy would go to her house and pick up my niece and keep her for a week or two. She would always invite my parents in. Mother was the one that felt sorta uncomfortable going in her house. She even spent most Christmases with us.

Yes the older we get the more we realize our own mortality. It seems I spend a lot of time at funerals these days! One of the ladies in my Birthday Luncheon group has cancer. She's had it for some time. It had gone in remission and then came back. She even went to Switzerland for treatments last year. It bought a little more time for her but she is now very frail and is not going out at all. Another lady in the group lost her husband to cancer a year ago. Another lady in our group has a lot of health problems and has a full time caregiver. A friend of mine lost his 47 year old son last Fri. He had a massive heart attack and left behind a lovely wife and 3 children 12 and under.

There seems to be a lot of people having strokes or maybe I'm just more aware of it. My high school graduating class actually still keeps up with each other even though there were 300 of us. One of us classmates had a massive stroke a couple of months ago. I know there have been 4 or 5 others that have had strokes recently.

I had to go back to my PC doctor today for him to go over the results of my blood work. I was near perfect! LOL My blood pressure is the best it's been in years. This was not a one time fluke. Every time I've had it taken in the last 5 or 6 months it's been in the same range. My cholesterol is very good. I also recently went to my endocrinologist and he didn't have to make any adjustments in any of my thyroid related meds.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2015 9:39 PM

Genna, yes, Meredith is my daughter. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That certainly must have been a shock.

Marilyn, congrats to Samantha on her graduation. She is a lovely young woman and I know you are proud of her. The graduation will be fun and a time to rejoice in her many accomplishments.

My friend Kate is doing very well. Her recovery is going as scheduled. Her boys are taking good care of her yard and doing things for her, especially on the weekends.

Our friend Mike, who had the stroke a year ago has no use of his right arm. His speech is affected, but he tries. He can't project his voice well and speaks slowly but if you listen carefully you can usually understand. Amy is used to his words so she gets everything. He uses a walker on occasion for short walks in their house, but pretty much the wheelchair, but he can get in and out. He can eat with his left hand just fine but someone has to cut his food. Because she works full time, he is in assisted living thru the week and she takes him home on the weekend. They continue therapy and he has the social aspect there too.

Sandra, is Cayla doing ok? Those pictures! Wow, Jerry is lucky his arm wasn't crushed. I hope he will make a full recovery.

Law enforcement and hospital stories....you can't make this stuff up. The craziness in the world!

Ripley, MS

Cayla is still numb in both legs, I don't know if I even posted on this thread but Thurs she was in Nashville and the doctor wants her to come back in May for a 3 hour MRI to let the top spinal surgeon look at it and see if he thinks he can drain the mass. They are afraid if they don't do something the numbness might keep spreading. They first told her they would not operate in that area, so it upset us pretty bad. She left TN, came by our house to get us some clothes and came on to Birmingham. I was only by myself there for about 2 hours before she and Bryan arrived. Then they went home Sat night and she worked in her FIL's office Monday ! She is determined to carry on and I am so proud of her for that !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

She is a strong young lady!! I sure hope they can get to the bottom of her problem and get it cleared up. I know you worry about her.

Another cloudy day here. It's going to take a month for the ground to dry out. I need to try to get some things done in the back yard today. At least with the ground so wet it is easy to dig and move things around.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sandra those pictures look rough! Jerry is very blessed indeed that he was able to react as quickly as he did. Just from my exposure to safety procedures at my job, it sounds questionable that they just had a single eyebolt holding something that weighs more than a ton. I would contact his employer and find out who their contact is for their work comp claims to call them if you don't hear from them. I know they are supposed to pay for all his medical treatments, and they might also have a provision to reimburse you for the mileage back and forth to UMB, and of course they are supposed to pay him while he is off work.

I have never been to the emergency room at UAMS, but Alex says it is something. :( He says 80% of what he has treated there has probably been gunshot and knife wounds......that's really sad. Of course they have wreck victims that come in, and one day they had a guy who was transferred in from SE AR and he had fallen off a tractor and been run over by a disc - Alex was the only one in the group of students who were paged who had a clue what that equipment was! :) The week before he left he had a young guy in his early 20s come in that had fallen 14' off a scaffold, head first..... that really got to him. I did spend about 3.5 hrs in the St Vincent ER one evening with a kidney stone attack.............the place was PACKED and some people appeared to just be there for drugs. One woman had an obviously broken arm and they had driven in from somewhere out of town thinking they could get the help they needed quickly there and instead they were there over 3 hrs and then were sent elsewhere. They were so upset when they left - and I totally understand why. This ER where Alex is currently at has something like a 13 min or 15 min average on wait time! That is impressive to me because it takes hours to be seen in Camden unless you are in very serious condition!

Kyle and Maddie will both graduate on May 9th as well. At 9:30 in the morning.... and, unfortunately, my great niece graduates from AR Tech in Russellville at the same time. Well, actually I think hers is at 10, but there is no way that we or my Sister and BIL can be at both. I was really hoping that hers would be one of the afternoon graduations because AR Tech is so large their's are split into different colleges.....but it didn't work out that way. Of course, we still don't know which direction they are heading, but thankfully they have obtained permission to stay in the on campus housing until the end of May so we don't have to move them out on the 9th!! I do have to move Jess on the 8th....

My friend had her stroke after going to Atwoods. She got her purchases in the vehicle and then got behind the wheel, but then slumped over the wheel. They didn't find her until the store closed that evening and someone noticed her. :( Thank goodness she wasn't driving down the road........ but possibly if someone had found her quickly it might have helped. But, unfortunately, even when they found her she was taken to Magnolia hospital (which is the town she was in) but her family is an hour away, and when they got there her sister said the doctor asked them what they wanted him to do???? So they transferred her to Texarkana - another hr away......I know one of the keys to stroke recovery is quick treatment. Apparently hers was REALLY bad, and she sure didn't receive quick treatment. Of course, it might have been so bad that it might not have mattered.

It appears that it is going to be a gorgeous day here...... but I am at work! LOL..... speaking of which, break is over, I better get back at it! Have a great day everyone!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry we cross posted.

Sorry to hear that Cayla is still having trouble. Wow, I can not imagine trying to lay still for a 3 hr MRI ..... but I hope these doctors are able to resolve her problems. Glad that she is pushing forward because I am sure her great attitude is making a positive difference!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sandra still keeping you all in my prayers. Does jerry think he
Might still play his music? Is this close enough to his retirement that he won't go back? I rebuked that devil all day because I knew this evil was his. Jerry. Reaches too many hearts and souls with his music and testimony of strength of faith,, the devil wants him to shut up.well how wrong ,wrong he is . The more that is thrown at you and him , the stronger your walk of faith and deeperyour devotionals become. Several years ago You ask for this path never knowing what you would endure to live in his light and act accordingly. I would say you are doing something very right for the evil one to try to move you over this hard. I admire your whole family

Did anyone order clematis this year or caladiums with a group.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra, I shudder every time I think of that one ton block nearly crushing Jerry! Cindy is correct in saying that the old devil doesn't want Jerry around to testify of the Lord's goodness! But we all know that "greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world". I totally agree with what Cindy said.

I haven't ordered any clematis or caladiums this year. I have two clematis that Elaine gave me at our RU at Jim's in Sept. 2012. One is Sweet Autumn and I can't think of the name of the other one just now. They both bloomed for the first time last year. I also have Crystal Fountains and Kardinal Wyszynski (spelling?). I bought these two a couple years ago at Diane's nursery. They also both bloomed last season but only had a few blooms. Nellie Moser was here when I married Al and was a big beautiful vine with lots of blooms on it every summer. We had to move her when we added the front porch last May. We separated her into 3 different vines. They are all small now and may not bloom this year but they are doing well and growing. In future years we should have lots of blooms from all the clematis. :)

I have been out working in the flower beds this last week. My muscles are sore from all the bending, stooping, raking, digging, etc. When you sit around all winter it is hard to get the muscles going in the spring! LOL We have gotten a lot of work done, though.
One unhappy note is that either a deer or some other critter decided to eat a couple of the hostas! Grrrrr! One hosta was eaten down to the ground but the critter only ate one big leaf off the empress Wu hosta, thank goodness. It didn't bother the other two hostas that were in that bed. I made chicken wire cages to put over 2 of the hostas yesterday. Hopefully that will take care of the hosta-eating critter, whatever it was! We didn't really see any deer tracks and the ground was soft from recent rains so I'm wondering if squirrels eat hostas??
Well, I just went out and checked on my hostas. I had covered the other hostas with large flower pots and put bricks on top of the pots in the hopes that if it is deer eating the hostas that the pots would keep them away overnight. Well, the pots were still in place but when I removed them one of the hostas had been eaten down to the ground!! GRRRR This tells me that some little critter that lives underground is coming up at night and eating the hostas. There are holes in the flower bed in several places close to all the hostas. Do any of you have any idea what might be eating the plants?

I haven't ordered anything this year, including clematis or caladiums. I've bought some nursery plants for my containers and bought a few things for the vegetable garden that I didn't start from seed but that's about it. I moved one clematis that was getting too much shade so it probably won't bloom this year as it's off to a slow start. My big white Candida is starting to bloom now and I'm hoping the purple one (can't think of the name) I planted last year may bloom more this year.

Marilyn, you may have voles. The deer will eat the hosta but I think voles will chew on just about anything too. Not sure, but ground squirrels (chipmunks) will dig holes too but they have never bothered my hosta.

I took the day off on Tuesday and planted my vegetable garden and containers. I really got a lot done except didn't get everything mulched in the garden. The pond cleanout guys came that day too for the annual cleaning so I was really glad it was the same day as I like to be there. I weeded some things, planted a few perennials and some annuals in my front bed that need some color. I also put out some Bayer's on my azaleas (that liquid Imidicloprid stuff) that is supposed to be good for diseases, etc on trees and shrubs. I didn't finish everything I intended to do but I got interrupted by a stray dog we found in the yard. It had a chip tag & several other tags indicating it was from the Auburn area. I finally called one number and got the father of a guy who lives near us who he said now has this dog & he gave me phone numbers to call. I left a message on the guy's home and cell number. I had put the dog (a small terrier) on a leash and tied the leash to a tree so he wouldn't run off & I could get back to work. About 20 minutes later he drives up, stands by his car door, while the dog is going nuts. He said 'I just live across the road from you'. Well he actually lives about a mile from us (according to what his Dad told me) and across a fairly busy road. He said the dog would have come home eventually. I said, well, he was headed for the woods and up the road and I didn't want to take any chances. He put the dog in the car and drove off and never said 'thank you', kiss my foot, or anything else. Sheesh! What in the world?? We spent about an hour trying to track down these owners. They don't deserve poor little Henry the dog.

Sandra, I'm so sorry Cayla is still having such problems. I hope the MRI will help the doctors find a way to cure her and give her relief.

Sorry for the rant about the dog owner. I just can't believe that guy must have expected us to deliver the dog to him or something and then didn't even thank us or anything. He wasn't a kid or anything - around 40 or so.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cindy I also agree about what you said about Sandra and Jerry.

I haven't ordered anything this year including clematis. I have one I planted at the base of a big pine tree and I haven't seen any signs of life in it so I will probably replace it. I have several blooming now. Last year I almost killed a clematis I have had for probably 15 years. It had gotten all the way up to the top of the pergola and was always covered in blooms. Well it had a lot of dead stuff in it that I decided to get out and when I did I obviously got live stuff as well as dead stuff. It's still living and bloomed last year and is heading back up the pergola but it going to take another year or so to get back like it was. I need to do some pruning on my really big azaleas on the south side of my yard. They are so tall they are up in the power line coming to the house but I'm getting bare spots in the bottom. So I'm going to take a little off the height and probably cut a a few branches a few feet from the bottom in hopes it will put out some new growth there. I use them as a screen between my house and my neighbors deck. We both like our privacy. I have to do tons of pruning every year to keep everything within bounds. Some times you can't tell I've done a lot to the brush but I'll end up with a huge pile out front because I have so many bushes.

Marilyn I don't know what could be eating your hostas. I've never had any problem with critters eating my hostas or other plants. I have squirrels everywhere! They never bother my plants. The only problem I've ever had with squirrels was with my planters on the front porch right after I moved here 33 years ago. They would use the soft dirt to dig into and put their acorns in. I put chicken wire over the dirt and that solved that problem. I only left the chicken wire in a couple of years but they have never bother the pots since then. Maybe you have voles, or moles something like that. Maybe your hostas will come back. Deer ate all the hostas at Wildwood down to the ground and they never came back. But last year I was going to move a hostas that I had planted in a bad place. Somehow I missed the ground and ended up taking off the entire top of the hosta with my shovel!! Duh I thought it was a goner but went ahead and put the roots in a pot. By the end of the summer it had recovered and put out new leaves!

I've got to take Richard to the dentist for a couple of filling this morning. His teeth are just terrible. I think I mentioned one of his front teeth just broke off. The expoxy tooth he put on is not working. Richard keeps fiddling with it and popping it off. So I've got to take him to an oral surgeon to have that tooth extracted and three others that have broken off at the gum line. He's afraid the others could end up getting infected and cause him problems. Then he is going to add a new front tooth to a partial plate he already has. He says a crown would not work on that tooth. Always an adventure when I take him!! Last time he threw a fit when I payed the dentist. He has no concept of money and he was standing there saying it was highway robbery!!! I was paying for a cleaning and an exray to take to the oral surgeon. He is actually very reasonable! So I think we've all learned not to mention the amount out loud!!

Raining here again today and very cool. It rained some yesterday and was cool and the wind blowing a lot. It's going to take a month to dry out!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine we did a cross post. That is crazy about the guy and the dog. No he doesn't deserve a dog or better yet the poor dog doesn't deserve him!!! People are strange!

I occasionally have chipmunks and they have never bothered any of my plants either.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Deer love hosta! It's like crack to them! But rabbits will also eat soft foliage.

I hate people who aren't responsible for their animals.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Al talked to a guy from the MO conservation service yesterday. He said we probably have moles, which we do, and the only way to get them is with a mole trap. Actually, it is a mole killer because it doesn't trap the mole it kills it. I always thought moles ate grubs, etc., that live in the soil.

We worked in the veggie garden all day yesterday We got it ready to plant. Al planted six tomato plants and six green pepper plants and one orange pepper plant. I planted 32 marigolds in the concrete blocks that edge that part of the garden. I still have to get that many more planted in the other section of the garden. We are going to plant green beans and squash in the other garden and maybe cucumbers.

Al twisted his bad knee again yesterday :(. It is swollen now and he needs to keep it elevated I told him he needs to get an appt. with a good knee doctor and stop putting it off. He said "okay". We will see. . . .

Elaine, I agree. A simple thank you would have been nice. The younger generation as a whole doesn't seem to have a clue about saying thank you! There are exceptions of course.

It just started raining here. It will be a housecleaning day instead of a gardening day

Has anyone heard from Sandra about Jerry's appt. yesterday?

Charlotte how did Richard's dental appt go?

This message was edited Apr 24, 2015 8:01 AM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Marilyn, do you have a raised garden made out of cinder blocks? Or just blocks lining the edges? I REALLY wanted to do some raised beds for some veggies - but so far, I haven't gotten them done so its not looking too good. :( Not sure I could prevent the Bermuda from coming up underneath, but I thought it might be worth a shot. Although, the Bermuda was not nearly as much of a problem when we had our garden as the nutsedge...... I did find a herbicide specifically for nutsedge, but you can't plant veggies in the area that you use it for at least 3 yrs.

I didn't hear anything from Sandra yesterday.... I know they had a long day - hope their appointment went well.

Elaine, he must not have cared anything about the dog if he thought it was ok for it to be roaming up and down the highway. Some people should NOT own pets!!

Very overcast here today....looks like it could pour at any moment.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.