Plant Propagation , The Basics ,, Continued #

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey you guys, I saw the neatest trick on Allrecipes a while back and just went looking for it. Here it is:

The next time you pick up a bunch or two of green onions at the grocery store, don’t discard the white ends after you’ve used up all the greens. Instead, stick the white root end into a glass with an inch or two of water then place it in a sunny window. Make sure to trim most of the green end off before you place it in the water, or they’ll just get droopy

The picture I saw they only cut about a half inch off the white with the root. It said within a week they would be back to the original size. Now, there were more than one paragraph or post on this and this one was like you just use the green part. Guess it would take a bit longer with a half inch. Interesting.

They said you could also put them in a pot of soil.

I am wondering if you would have the same flavor.

Also, I guess they post a lot of these on Pintrest. My daughter got me on that when they first started and I have never spent much time there. These computers would be your life if you used every site.

Jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nancy ,, no holes ,, The seeds usually do not take long enough to mold ,, Besides , an un-sprouted seed does not use air ,, The garden salad container . A finger full of seed starting mix . A spray or two from a plant mister ,, just enough to keep them moist ...
Those sunflower seeds sprouted in four days .. Another has sprouted in the past few hours , about 4 more or so to go .!!!
Here are some cucumber seeds , being done on paper towel instead of starter mix .
This is one of those to go baked chicken dinner containers ,, not that I ever eat and run , I usually get chased away ,, lol

Jen ,, Easy to do ,, Judgement day , after crossing over ,, ST Peter , What did you do with your life ,
Spirit ,, Just crossed over ,, Huh ? Error!!! I need my computer to answer ,, Couldn't you of Asked me that online !!!

Sharon ,Tulips Are A get well card For You ,,,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

WHAT A PRETTY GET WELL BUNCH OF TULIPS. :)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Very pretty JU. My daughter uses coffee filters for starting the seeds like you are doing the cucumber seeds etc. When I do it that way, especially with hard shelled seeds, besides nicking them, I use hydrogen Peroxide in the water that I use to dampen the filter. Gives them some oxygen. Maybe they don't need it, but I don't think it hurts.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you both about the Tulips , Debra , Jen , A few more blooms every year .. slow plant to propagate ..

I have been doing set up work in the garden . Raised beds . for Tomatoes ,, Lots of effort chopping up Dirt clods .
Did get four Sunflowers planted .. Does not sound like as much as it was ,Saws-all is actually handy for sticks , branches , dirt clods ,, all that cultivating ,,
Salad from the garden this evening
Lettuce
Burdock one leaf
Dandelion one leaf These two for the foraging thing , lol
Kale
Radish
Garlic two types
Onion two types
Beet
all with Egg and Cheese .. had to sneak some cholesterol back in there someplace

Jen I cut Greens from plants all the time the way you described ,, a lot of plants are not bothered by snipping at all

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I know you can do spinach, lettuce, etc. that way, I just had never thought of doing that with green onions. Just cutting the roots off and putting them in water, or planting them.

They said to not put cucumbers in the refrigerator either. Said it caused them to spoil faster and if you keep them on the counter, not to put them with tomatoes, bananas or others but can't remember what.

A lot of good things that I didn't know. Berries, like raspberries and strawberries to wash them with 1 - 3 parts vinegar water, then spin them in a lettuce spinner lined with paper towels until they are dry and can't remember the rest. I always heard you don't wash them until you are ready to use them. Fun stuff. BTW, that is 1 cup vinegar and 3 cups water.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Seems you reminded me I have spinach , Brussel sprouts ,,, to start , getting late for the sprouts though ,
Green is good ,,, with vegetables ,
These windy cold days after sunny warm calm ones have got to go ,,,This is ridiculous weather ..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I seem to be playing here about annuals ,
Five more of my sprouts are waiting to get planted , their getting to large , I wanted to put them out today , but to cold ,, hopefully it will get warm tomorrow as it is suppose to

Watch your eyes pic's fuzzy ,, but easy to tell seed sprouts Sunflowers ,
I will clean out the sprouter after planting these , and either more Sunflowers of another variety or vegetable herb seeds will go next into the container ,

One each of the Blonde and White Wonder cucumber seeds I put in a sprouter yesterday , had a sprout start today , I will see if I can pic a visual tomorrow ,,,

Thumbnail by juhur7

really cool lil sprouts. I just transplanted 12 sprouted named morning glorys tonight.. will have to transplant one more time to the great outdoors..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tomorrow night will still be to cold here but according to the weather it warms above 50 for a couple weeks ,, I get to hang my spider plants outside and several other plants ,, easier to water outside the plants really are ..

Debra I have some red morning glory seeds that will come later ,, usually some return (the blue , at the end of June or July , They like it really warm ,, seeds self sow though ..
I ended up with a lot of leftover Milkweed seeds , the native ,, I may sprout those later in the summer , for next year ,
I have a few plants up I don't recognize ,, I will see what they are shortly ,,
Bulbs are blooming and a few iris are just budding up a medium purple ,

If my cucumbers grow well and my Tomato plants hurry a little , this is going to be a nice season

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Planted these Today , Blonde Cucumber .
White wonders did not finish sprouting yet .

This message was edited May 1, 2015 9:24 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sunflower seedlings Milkweed sprouting on the end pic 3

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

awsomeness just abounds with you, Ju.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Raining here today , if it breaks I will plant Bupee's Cutting Garden sunflowers , A red Castor Bean sprouted in about 4 hrs and was planted the next morning ,, Those came from Sharon ,
I have 4 sprouters full of seeds ,, Alfalfa , Beets , Sunflowers , and another waiting to be planted in one of them ... Overnight sprouting like that , Can take a moment to stay up with ,,

3 or 4 days is better as far as mulling practice ,,, etc relaxation planting ,
Easy annuals ,, still the result counts ,

All these and I am still moaning about the loss of one Bamboo sprout , There is a lesson there someplace , lol
There is another goings on ,, My apple tree is blooming ,, Last time it made 2 green apples the size of a half dollar , lol .About 4 years ago ,

Rhubarb , Zinnia ,, Tithonia , all kinds of seeds in the sprouter , Some Campanula , and Lupine or California poppies sprouted in a couple of old trays left over from a while ago .. Dry , Hot place they are sitting , I guess they liked it ,

Some of this Debra . Is like when you get your air , water , trays full of cuttings to be planted all at the same time , lot to do real quick , mind has to stay in place ,,,relaxation practice ,, lol .
Keep on gardening all ,,

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Ju ~ What is a sprouter?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is these things ,, Technically , though ,, There is no such a thing ,,, This is my version ,, of the Bean or Peanut, in the Petri dish ,, You remember that ? lol

Of course their are commercial kits for doing Alfalfa and Bean sprouts ,,

These containers , sprout beans in 4 hrs some of the time ,, that is plenty good enough for me ,,lol

1 the sprouter , my name for it '
2 & 3 Alfalfa sprouts ,, today the second day ,,, their being planted presertly

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK Guys, I'm back so need to put JU in his place here. JU, I see the picture and Debra sees it, so tell us what it is. Explain it to us. I want to know is it a can with a lid? It appears to be about 5 inches tall, and maybe 5 inches across. With a lid. Then what? Do you put water and seeds in it? Do you put it someplace warm? Come one tell us. I see the seeds that are sprouted. Pretty cool.

Debra you need to draw JU a picture or you don't get an answer.

How is JUdy doing JU? Don't think she is yelling at you enough. LOL. Isn't it nice to have me back?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

BIG Smoochie and Hugs JEN , !!!LOL I don't know what I would do Without YOU !!! LOL

How About more of the same .. pics today

Sunflower seedling
Poinsettia
Cucumber
more sunflowers
Alfalfa

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

more today
Mustard
Nettle leaf with Butterfly Egg
Wild Hyacinth
Tulips
Dianthus

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I would not see these until July usually ,,, 86 degrees today ,, Hot , hot ,, Hot !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

very pretty. I have been sprouting seeds in water bottles. works real well. your gardens and seedlings are beautiful Ju.

Carribia Rose has gone crazy since I trimmed it and fed it.
baptisia is up
mock orange is blooming and some cuttings have took. it also sent a sport up.
this clematis has seed pods already on my side of the fence, the other side of the fence gets picked by a little 3 yr old girl.
basement is getting empty, but I am leaving the vines down there to make me a ceiling of blooming passies , Brazilian morning glory ( i setosa)

This message was edited May 8, 2015 11:03 AM

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

basement is still a little green..last pic is my monstera with some other philos I cut back and made starts of..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey guys. love the pictures. Shows what you/ve been up to. But JU, which is the butterfly egg on the nettle leaf? I see 3 white and one black spots. I really like the wild Hyacinth. And Debra. your pictures are pretty cool too. And, wow you really have been busy cleaning out your basement. What did you do with all the plants? It looks almost bare.

JU, I never thought about starting Sunflowers that way. The squirrels usually do a pretty good job of it. Problem is, if I give them the seeds I wanted planted, they would think they were dessert. and would eat them. Plant the ones that are bagged for food.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

White are the Eggs ,, black is a new hatched larvae ,, tiny aren't we ,, lol

For those wondering about the sprouter I keep referring unto ..
Type this in your browser
Large Microwavable Chicken Roaster Take Out Container with High Dome Lid 100/Case
Should come up someplace so you can see ,,,

Bloom ,, iris ,, today

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Got it. So, what you have is a uh ....sprouter!!. Ok, so you put a couple inches of damp soil in it and the seeds, and place it in some place warm. That's it? Sounds great. So tell me what is next. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey one of you guys, how about starting a new thread? This is getting pretty long. I don't mind, but some of the folks out there might. Just thought. Jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen , I am not using any soil or earth in the sprouter ,

As it looks .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK, got it. What do you dampen the paper towel with besides water? Anything? You needed a picture of the seeds sprouted with the top paper towel off of it.

So, where do you keep it? Where it's warm? Or? maybe under lights? What are the smallest seeds you have done? I need to get a smaller one. The only ones I have are big. Bob just said he could get me one from the deli in Newport Tuesday when I go down to get my hair done.

So, now all I need is for you to answer the questions I just asked you. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

They are sitting in normal light a few feet from a southwest window ,, that is all , room temperature
Smallest so far are the coleus seeds .
If you get rot or mold besides the seed color once in a while , that is too much water ,, 2 or three sprays from your plant mister bottle is usually enough ,,

How's this

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Most of these are 3 days from packet to the ground , by way of the sprouter ,, a couple are 7 days old today

1 Alfalfa
2 blonde cucumber
3 7 day old sunflowers
4 5 day old mustard
3 day today Coleus ,,,
White cucumber and three types of zinnia are planted also ,, not shown ,,
I am slow ,,, But ,,, not a bad weeks effort ..

This message was edited May 10, 2015 8:08 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Bamboo in a pot , sprouted night before last , one cane is over two feet tall ,,POOF ..

Milkweed on the lawn ,,,
A couple of drive ya nuts , plants ,,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Your plants look great. I might even try the big ones I have. Just don't know where to put them. Do you nick any of your hard shelled seeds? Wonder if that would get them started faster if you did. The Sunflowers etc. you have some really hard shelled seeds there if you don't use a nail file or something on them. I sometimes use clippers and take a small chunk out of the side of some of them. If you don't drown them, it shouldn't hurt.

I had Bob plant my bamboo that I got from my sister in a pot today to see if they would maybe root. It wasn't doing much in the water. Those are the ones that grew thru the drain holes of her big plant in her greenhouse.

Tomorrow I am going to take a couple tomato plants down to the hardware store in Ione and see if she wants to try to sell them. Should be interesting.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jen, Todd and Heather just planted their tomatoes and peppers. He knows to watch out for a freeze. Especially on the peppers.

I am finally planting my basil and lettuce tomorrow before I do anything else.

Had beautiful weather today and it is my bed time. I have nothing to do tomorrow except garden. Should be a very good day. Sharon

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I do not cut Sunflower seeds , I only get about 50 to 60 % germination from the sunflower seeds , could be I should try nicking them ,

Sharon ,, Enjoy the garden , Hoping you feel great for that ,It is so , so , very nice to feel good during nice weather ,!
Do the Iris grow where you are ,, ? The Annual "Lady in Red "" Salvia seeds I have are perennial where you are .. How about those ? Helianthus Tuberosa might grow on the dry hill where nothing grows for you ,?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some heat to germinate are ..
Tomato seeds , small yellow
Red Castor bean , These rot after the pop ,, start in the sprouter , so requires some care about moisture levels ,,
Crackerjack Marigold ,,, These are all of some that germinated in the sprouter , but would not make shoots , until heated ,, in this case .. for me ,, a few days outdoors ..

Heat lovers that do not need heat to germinate
Annual Sunflowers
Tithonia
Rhubarb
Mustard
Zinnia
Alfalfa ..
Coleus germinate and send shoots without heat also ,,,

Well any way ,, a few easy with some info ,,,,

This message was edited May 11, 2015 1:10 PM

let me know when you get the new thread.. i have some things to show you

help!!!! I am lost in a circle of never ending skip to new!!!!

Fort Worth, TX

This is a Jan 2015 thread. I will post a new thread for Jan 2016, look for it.

Fort Worth, TX

Jan 7 2016 - all puppies got home and here is a January thread for THIS year
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1413048/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.