Plant Propagation , The Basics ,, Continued #

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra ,I need to hear from you ,, lol Old or new addy on the envy ,, which is right ,,?
Thank you for the seeds , I will probably get a long tray or a big tray and plant them all to see what grows ,, of course then I will be jumping around looking for more containers .
Planting edibles and blooms outside ,
And my bamboo is not doing as well as it could either ,, alive it is ,, good thing ,,

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I have a few plants, but not as many as some others I have met in person that are DG members. My problem is, once I have learned how to propagate, I kinda go crazy and make a lot of duplicates to share.
I am looking for another nanking cherry that will bloom and make my older bush bear fruit.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have 3 of them , problem art the moment with that , only one blooms ,, I will see if seeds or if cuttings are possible ,, The one that blooms is needing trimmed back , has a crazy tall branch ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes yes, Evelyn - will join the backporch thread again if someone will post it. It's been so long I can't imagine where to begin to look. THEN I will post a picture or two of my new precious pup and stories of my "employment:" adventures. :)

Right now, I'm starting some things from seed. Would have liked to start things earlier, but c'est la vie!

I have a feeling I'll be buying more plants this season. :D

Winnetka, CA

Hi Amanda,

Nice to see you .... -:)

Here is the latest 'back porch' thread....you'll have to come over and fill us in on all those strange plants you're starting... now you've got me interested... were these seeds from the fall swap? Nancy

Is this the back porch? oh dear.. am I lost? Hi Nancy.. please find me , I am lost again:P

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1390675/ try this link ,,
Hope to see ya there

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No Debra, you are on the propagation thread. I will post the link to the Chat on the Back Porch. Yes, since we have 2 threads going in 2 different categories it is confusing.

JU, Debra, what if your tree is the same sex as Debras? How do you know? I would think a cutting send her, and you JU, do an air layering. What do they do when they start the fruit trees using a sapling or something to use as a trunk? Maybe that would make another sexed tree. LOL, Have I got you guys totally confused? Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1390675/

Here is the link to the current Back Porch we are on.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, how can you get lost now? There you go Amanda. I didn't see JU's post before I entered mine.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't remember which blooms larger Jen ,, the other blooms inconspicuous ,, Easy way to root , pin a branch down and cover ,
More difficult part , is not running over it , with the mower ,,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good grief JU, put a flag on it. Can't remember what I got them for, but i went down one time and bought a dozen of those little flags the highway dept. uses, at Big R i think it was. They aren't all that expensive and on wire you just stick them in the ground.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah I know ,, power lines , gas lines ,,, lol ,, Zap ,,, zizzle , crackle ,, sizzle ,,,

well, I did it. I am so sad. I cut the huge plumeria down and stuck the two branch tops in some rooting tub, and I cut the too tall sesbaunia tree off and now the cut off parts are all droopy and crying. I am so sad.. *sniff*
I have a second nanking cherry seedling about a year old next to the big one, it leafed out but didn't bloom..
I'm going to go find a forsythia and get some cuttings this weekend from somewhere.. saw some out n the middle of nowhere kansas..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a Black Cherry tree I have to cut took forever to grow , I feel about 2 inches tall when I do that .. About the same Debra , Odd more so because I am guy ,, Suppose to be the Killer type and all ,, Being sympathetic about a tree , just does not make sense to that tradition ,
The money plant ,, Sun or shade ?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh Debra, what a shame. Will the Plumarias be ok? Aren't the Sesbanias Scarlet Wisterias? Have they bloomed? Why did you cut them off? Maybe the Nanking Cherry will be old enough this year to bloom and maybe it will be the opposite sex of the one you have? Ya think?

I love the Forsythias. They really grow a lot of them here around here. I especially like the suspensia ones that have the limbs that hang. I had one I bought from a very old nursery and the darned thing never did bloom. I had it twelve years before i finally pulled it out and threw it away. I moved it 3 times in those years, thinking it needed more sun. Didn't help.

My sister just had a guy come out and prune her fruit trees. She has 17. He was very good, and only charged her $15 an hour. Took him 2 days to do them all. But, it sure is worth it if you get someone that knows what they are doing. Her trees look real good.

sun, fulll sun. those came from my sister's seeds she gave me before she died. I planted them and they bloomed and were filled with little coin seed pods. so pretty. My hubby get's sad when something I grow that he likes goes bad, gets cut and he just told me to leave it, but the people on the tropical said to cut it. it was huge, over 9 ft tall, the leaves of the pieces i cut are soft, not a good sign. It bloomed for me two years, it was just about a foot tall when a DG'r gave it to me. *sigh*
Jen you are getting a bag of my gardens. just get a large plastic tub with handles, cut a hole in the bottom with a knife, fill it up with a few crushed egg cartons and paper cups mixed with heavy soil and river rocks, a bit of sand a little peat and potting soil on top. pack it down to 6 inches from the top, sprinkle the bag over it, cover with top soil or ground soil, let nature take it's coarse and then we can see the seedlings and have fun ID"ing them from my last years photos. IF you get a vine or two, put a tomatoe cage on top in the middle. I just threw out helens flower, blanket flower, standing cypress, phlox tall, gloriosa daisey, marigolds, zinnias, gaura, sweet coneflower, rudbeckia , milk weed, wild senna, and some tropical seeds that are old just to see if they do anything, oh and some and red silene, white yarrow and tall american bluebells.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh Debra, are you sure??? '

That is so sad about your Plumeria. That was what you were talking about wasn't it? That is awful. Why do you listen to people? You have enough experience and you know they are not going to take credit for ruining your plants. That is so bad.

Sorry, I know you feel bad enough about it without me yammering at you about it.

It must be getting late your time. Do you work tomorrow? Go to bed. ttyl, jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra, have you ever looked at this site: "Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings"?

We started this a couple of years ago and every once in a while start it up again. It is a fun thread and you really have a lot of information to offer these people. I don't recall seeing you on here, but maybe you have.

Take a look. It is in the propagation forum, with almost 300 posts. I think they are afraid to start a new one. Maybe they think they will lose it or something. Help them/us out.

Sorry, had a busy weekend with work and then yesterday Son came over to bring the huge pot of cut off plumeria and sesbaunia up the stairs and other heavy things outside for me. I have about 50 cuttings going to of cestrum nocturnum and mexican petunia purple showers. Stuck the plummie tops on well draining tubs already out back one in each corner, here is hoping. Brugs are all in ground except one and it is trying to bud so don't want to disturb it's new growing gain. It is however out front in pot, ready to be the bell of the ball so to speak.
Can't believe I got the variegated ginger to root! Had to do something it was getting too tall and gangly down stairs. Where is this site, Jen? Is there a link?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It's in this forum, propagation. I am on my way to dr. so will have to get a link when I get back.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/73515/ 296 posts

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1375705/ 10 posts

Here are the links ,, I am on my way to the Dr , also ,,, before and after thing , there Jen ,,
H i Debra , back later ,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You smartie JU. LOL, thank you for helping Debora. I hope she enjoys the site but I know she can teach us all on it a lot.

Deb, did you look at that site? Ju really is a sweetie isn't he? There did that make you fell ok JU? I need to tell you something on Dmail. jen

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Debra ~ I have a "Ti" plant, or "Lucky Bamboo", which is too tall now. Can I just cut the top of it off, and root the tops as well? I have seen them cut off in pots on display for sale, but never had the nerve to cut them.

Hi Evelyn, yes, I have done that many times with success. Over the weekend, I wrapped three passion vines together at the leave joints with a peat bullet and lambs wool yarn, hoping to root the ends that are going to be cut off eventually. I have to take pics to show u, mad scientist that I am.. I also put two long de-leaved stems of I batata in plastic water bottles and a spray of water with the lid on and they have roots now. gotta show ya.. another experiment .. I'm going to take the lids off tonight and get them used to air, and then later this wek I will plant them in my planter outside to bring me new plants. After seeing sweet potato plants go for 5 bucks a small 2x2, I am like "NOPE!"

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra, that's what I did with Bacopa last year. They are selling for $5 for a 4 inch pot so I found some seeds and had a hafl flat full in no time and they grew so neat that I had a ball with them. Well, it must have been a mistake and others did too. Found out how easy it was to grow them so this year I could only find them from one seller and they were almost $6 for 10 seeds. Can you believe that? But it still is better than $5 per plant.

jen

Oh, and here are pictures of a plant Bob bought me at an Estate sale last weekend. Do you know what it is? The first one shows 2 flowers, tiny white in a bunch, each one in pods, and the second is a picture of the whole plant. If you don't know I will post it on the plant ID thread. jen

Thumbnail by Jnette Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra, that's what I did with Bacopa last year. They are selling for $5 for a 4 inch pot so I found some seeds and had a hafl flat full in no time and they grew so neat that I had a ball with them. Well, it must have been a mistake and others did too. Found out how easy it was to grow them so this year I could only find them from one seller and they were almost $6 for 10 seeds. Can you believe that? But it still is better than $5 per plant.

jen

Oh, and here are pictures of a plant Bob bought me at an Estate sale last weekend. Do you know what it is? The first one shows 2 flowers, tiny white in a bunch, each one in pods, and the second is a picture of the whole plant. If you don't know I will post it on the plant ID thread. jen

Thumbnail by Jnette Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry I hit the send button twice. This computer is slow enough today without that. jen

that sure looks like a setcrotsa.. but I really can't tell you for sure.. look it up first on google

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Just posted in the other thread, Kitt got it with her tradescantia spathacea, common name of Moses in the boat, boatlily, etc. She was right on. I googled it. Just can't use the Plantfiles any more. They really messed them up.

Going to bed. See, I can't even remember the common name. I don't think Moses in the boat is exactly what they said. But close. I cut and pasted it in the other thread. But Moses was somewhere in it and had something to do with boats. >smile< close enough. I should be ashamed. Can't remember the common name and she had the botanical name. Oh well- - - -

'nite, jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some playing in the garden /
1 Self sow Tomato
2 the garden earth
3 more self sow tomato
4 Kale , with weeds
5 Purple zinnia seed sprout ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK JU, got some questions for you. First, those look great. But, how big are those containers and what are they? Are they the final resting place for those self-sowed tomatoes? What kind are they? You are real smartie getting those zinnias going this early. They look good. Mine are up too. The Binary Giant Purple ones. I have so many all the way from the giants to some dwarf whites. BTW, did I send you some of those white zinnias? The dwarfs? I had a note on the envelope to send you some but about that time I thought you said you didn't want any more seeds, so didn't send them. Couldn't remember if I had or not. If not, do you want some?

Forgot to say mine are up "in the house".

Well, gotta answer read some more posts on the other threads, so ttyl,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen , the green pots are 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 deep . The white round one is a cottage cheese container ,, The plants are Broad Ripple Currant , yellow tomatoes ,, cherry type ,, not sour , more sweet ,,, old type ,,,
self sown Tomatoes will all get there own space in the garden ,, not a pot type ,, although , you can grow these in a large pot ,,

When you first got those seeds , you sent me some ,, I will try to start them shortly , white , orange cactus type ,, and another , I do not recall at the moment , I believe it to be a two tone petal type
Soooo , Thank you !!!!! Yes !!!! .... and no more seeds for a while ,.. Jen . lol

If the Basil turns out to be a Basil ,, I will have a self sowing Tomato , ( that every body here likes to eat , A self sowing Radish ,, . and self sowing Basil ,,,, That sure makes starting them easier .. especially in warmer seasons !!!
Looking to see what cucumbers I might grow Nobody liked the Lemon cucumber except me ,oh well ,,, to easy to grow , no one likes ,, hard to grow , everyone loves ,, who knows ??? lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

All my tomatoes are what you call "pot type". They have to be or I will pinch their little heads off. They go in 5 gallon buckets. I went down to water my sister's plants in her greenhouse. She has so many tomatoes. She wants Bob to sell them for her. LOL, he just might do it. She won't be home for a while.

It is just beautiful here today. Got the doors and windows open. It is warmer than I have my heat set 72, so that is nice. Think Bob said 75.

He stopped in town at one of the gravel pit places and he said they had some nice looking stuff for mulch, but didn't know what it was. I will go in tomorrow to see. ttyl,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Best kind of places to look ,, I forgot ,,,

I have all kinds of seeds to start the next couple of weeks ,,All those bags of seeds in the Garage , have not even been touched yet ,,
Two french type Marigold .
Two tall type Marigold ,
My Zinnia
at least 7 others ,,
Morning glory .
Delphinium
sunflowers many types
Tithonia
Besides a few that have sprouted outside That I do not recognize as of yet ,,
These and the ones I have traded for make for a lot of sprouting ! lol
Basil several to start Cinnamon my favorite
Dill for a nice warm place . ,, presuming that happens ,,
Parsley is already going . first type , tall , flat leaves ,
Blonde Cucumber , and White Wonder cucumber , went into the sprouters about an hour ago ,,,
several lettuce for cooler places ,,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

My gosh JU, you are in seventh heaven. you found a lot of seeds you didn't know you had. If you need to go looking for seeds, I can send you some. Let me know. Jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen ,Did I ever send you any of those Milkweed seeds ?, you know the wild ones . I thought I had ,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, you did and they are getting put out like you told me to do, but away from the house so I don't get the cats on my plants. I had some strip my Brussels Sprouts last year. Not the right kind of cats I know. And, they may not even care about my BS plants. But, I might spray them this year and don't want to get any of the Monarch cats.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here is a root to bloom salad in progress , Sunflowers at sprouting in a sprouter

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Winnetka, CA

Ju.... do you punch holes in the plastic for air circulation? Looks like no soil? How does your sprouter work... I need to understand... -:) Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.