Thought I would continue with this ;
1 is likely Grass of some kind
2 ans 3 are likely a Bamboo (are)
The visual difference ,, thought I would

came from

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1383592/

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

go get Jen, here are my split leaf philos they are both just babies, the big ones I gave away,
these were just a couple pieces of the bottoms. These are under medium florescent light, in a humid atmosphere and not a real bright light. They all like being kind of held by their roots at ground level, and form new "points" in spurts. Here are a few of my other Philos

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

well gosh, where is everyone?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra , Hello !!! ,,I started the thread rarely have I much to say .
Been playing with some seedlings and a few ideas ,
Working on an old cell mix formula for difficult to start seeds , Even if their (no good ?) the seeds activate and grow anyway ,,
Down to one of three formulas ,,, I have ,,, I love the old Kiddie science ,,lol

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey everybody - been a while, but I caught up and found you!

Just checking in. ;)

xo
A.

AMANDA (((((((HUGS))))))
Help us out with any ideas for Jen would ya?
Ju what is your secret formula?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello also all

Debra , When I get it worked out , I will say ,, It was a Carbon formula I use to activate cells with , years ago ,,
No files and no memory is the problem there , ,lol
One is carbon and carbinol ,
Another uses Butryic acid and salt ,
I was using Eye drops for saline ,,
One of the three using these is that old formula mix ,,
It is like the difference in such as ,, Tetrahydrachrloridrazine ,, , and tetrahydrocholine ,, Saline then and now . ,, I will wait to post until I have as it gets complicated typing words like that ,,

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Jen is still on the old thread...???

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Evelyn I Dunno ,, Jen , is Threading somewhere else likely ? Talking Philos and Brugs ,

Goji , Petunia , Snapdragon , seedlings

Thumbnail by juhur7

those are so cute. great pic, Ju.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you Debra !!!,, I am stuffing them all together for lack of room ,,
I always delight at yours also !!!.

It will be a while before outdoors and Tomatoes get started ,, taking time with a few flowers ,
sooo Indoors and lights it is !!! lol
Best fever I know of ,, !!!

Center, TX

Hey Juhur7, How's everything in your part of the country? I am wanting to get some more fern for my yard but, I have one already and would like to propagate from it. Can you tell me where to start? My fern has brown little spots on the back of the leaves, is that spores. If so what can I do to produce plants? I figure if anyone knows, you do. Any advise is welcome. Alda

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Fern propagation I have tried , that was my thrill during the 1970's ,
Take a frond (mature) Place in wax paper or envelope ,, let dry) of course you can shake the spores into a or on to paper from a mature frond) , (spores stick to paper ) of course wind can be a problem. so a coated (inside with wax paper) envelope is better (as near as I can recall )
Dust spores are so small wax paper makes it easier to wash remainder from ) (of course you can cut up the remainder of an envelope also.
Place in a cool shady place cover like baggies over a pot ) small sprouters , little greenhouse. , etc keep moist ,,
I use to get several to sprout , had trouble growing any to maturity due to humidity concerns ,, Sprouting times though ? I never could remember anything other than sprouting times varied to extreme . Only ones I use to get to grow at all mostly were Maidenhair ferns . supposedly the most difficult ,,?
Use to enjoy the stories of Sword fern to Boston fern ,, All by accident ? lol I don't believe that still ,, lol
Also the time to let the spores set , I don't remember ,, and I am not sure if that is necessary at all ..I remember letting them set a day or two during the week until I had time to plant them
Which was dusting them onto top of earth , you do not really plant them ,, Something like so many spores dry out so quickly they rarely land anyplace moist enough for a few weeks to grow in the wild , ,,,

And ,, Hello Alday ,, how are you .. Weather is cold here , I don't really want to talk about it . single digit wind chills and the like ,,

As to if those are spores ,, underside of leaf , red , brown , clear ,, speckles . at random but do not look like any insect , near as I can say without seeing them ,,Difficult to imagine , those spores are like mushrooms ,, they contain the millions of spores you cannot see , A dot , so small , containing millions of smaller dots ,, lol

This message was edited Feb 15, 2015 7:09 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Alday here's a link
http://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/growing_ferns_from_spores

Center, TX

Thanks Juhur, I think I will just go to Lowes or home depot and just buy my ferns. I don't think I will live long enough to see this through.Ha Ha, But you are a jewel for all your effort. Alday

Center, TX

Thanks Juhur, I think I will just go to Lowes or home depot and just buy my ferns. I don't think I will live long enough to see this through.Ha Ha, But you are a jewel for all your effort. Alday

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Alday sometimes , good deals on ferns are available , Long time ago , many had gotten rather rare ,, What cultivar or species are yours ,,
Yes , humoring about it some lol . all okay ....
Seeds were the ones that disappeared on their way to you a while ago ,, next try a few kept ,
Cross of dinner plate red and Fireball
Hibiscus humor to you Alday ,, lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah Ju - I am so far behind as usual with my seed starts.

Alday - you're funny - yes starting ferns from scratch is a labor of love. I must admit to being thwarted by the mere description of it.

I sent a Ostrich fern 'The King' for postage this past season to a DG member near lake Tahoe as I did not have enough shade for it in the garden. It just didn't seem fair to keep it in a container when the poor thing has the potential to grow to 7' . Impressive.

Jen will find us, and/or I'll go looking! :)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I found you guys. I am de-holding my holding bed. All the plants are being relocated and I am making it into a propagation bed.

Garden helper's helper was suppose to be here today but no show. It is about 3/4 finished and I want to get moving on it but back is still bothering me so no big deal.

I had seed pods on my violas and threw them around the bed and they have popped up and just about ready for transplant. They grow like weeds here until it gets hot then they get leggy and are gone.

Amanda, good to see you. JU, I am impressed with the hardy hibiscus seedlings.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, you guys have got 2 different threads going in the Propagation forum. Even tho this one only has 18 replies, someone keeps it going along with the other one. Right now they both have responses today. jen

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jen, sweet lady, this is a new thread from the old thread.

My worker did not show up today to finish my propagation bed. I want to get started. I will need to find a new worker. I also need to finish my bed for tomatoes and such.

My therapist says my inflammation of my Piriformis muscle is getting better. This morning was horrible but my therapist called to see how I was doing. I would never call to demand a time because they are always booked. She worked me in and I feel so much better.

JU, I envy your hardy hibiscus seedlings.

Have a great day tomorrow. Sharon

I'm glad Ju does such a good job of tagging his seedlings. Also glad Jen is here.
Right now, I am in Texas visiting with my sis in law, and brought some Kalanchoes I started from bits and pieces. One of them was from Her Mom's original plant. I have been spreading parts of that plant around to family. I also planted a piece of my sisters two Kalanchoes. We are in San Antonio, north west outer corner. so far they have been looking happy facing west, even with the 40 temps here. I sure was expecting warmer weather, I brought my winter stuff and glad I did.
I'd imagine I'd be out in my gardens back home, but think it will be another couple months.
Sharon, take it easy. no overdoing it. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Hope you Enjoy Texas , snowed here ,, about 4 degrees ,, no gardening . frozen out , slow seedlings inside ,,
I will pic more in a week or so ,,
Potting parsley here ,, Waiting for more Bamboo to sprout ,, I have two little sprouts of something , ? I have no idea what they are ,
Even when tagging to some correct ,that still happens ,, Two unknown grassy looking ,,, they could be Bamboo that was planted to deep , from not growing before , potting soil got turned over then they sprouted from the bottom of the pot ,, or that thing ,, when it happens that way,, whatever they are , usually has good roots ,, lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I would be amazed they would sprout if they were planted that deep JU, or did you say they were turned over and must have been closer to the bottom than the top? Maybe when you watered them they went deeper.

Would be interesting to see anyway.

I did go ahead and placed an order from Logees. I think I bought something from them a few years ago. Can't remember what I bought from them now, so will be interesting to see how they do. Like are they healthy? How is the packing? Things like that. I know they will be small cause the only size they had were 2 1/2 inch pots. So, what does that tell you? Small. That is why I thought you might tell me some secrets to get them to grow fast JU. Or Debra. Bet she could, couldn't you Deb?

Some of the other people said Texas is cold this year. I understand some parts of Texas have short winter type seasons but I don't think they all do. How long are you staying Debra? Enjoy yourself and have a nice visit with your sister. How far is it from where you live to her place? ttyl

BTW JU, yes, I know why the new thread was started but we only have 119 in the longest one now. 22 in this one. I think you guys are getting this propagation confused with the back porch. However, it is really nice to talk to Debra. She doesn't come to the back porch to chat. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well was not trying to confuse ,, it happens ,,
Plants were seed in re-used soil ,, (i know , not suppose to do that , )
seeds sprouted anyway ,,,
Moral of the story (gave up to soon )

Jen Just talk here , or whatever ,,,

I seem to be making a multitude of beginner mistakes ,,, I am getting worse at this instead of better ,,
My brain needs a defragment , ???

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No Ju, you know we all love you. Not mistakes, This was a test. LOL, I do think that we were enjoying it. But, as long as it is marked so everyone can tell whether it is the one they want to post on, or care to read, then there would be no problem.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Seedlings moving along '

Seedlings all look about the same ,, daylily last summer ,, Just thought a warm flower would cheer it up ... lol yes Jen ,, That is what it is ,,
1 is petunia , Goji , a couple of others like snapdragon , etc I don't know ,, It was the no grow pot , That came up pot luck ,,
others are Bamboo , the Hibiscus , And the Orange Daylily , made from cell genetics

Hey Jen ,, Thanks Mom ,,, lol

This message was edited Feb 18, 2015 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Now this was a mistake. You need to tell us what they are. Is that daylilly Electric Orange???

Jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

3 is Table mountain ice plants ,, you have seen them all before , re-read above

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, but we like to know the ones you grew are growing good and I am watching that bamboo to see when it reaches 10 inches. lol. you didn't answer me on the orange daylily. That isn't this year's blossom is it?

I went back and read this thread. What is the Carbon formula? Did it have something to do with soil you are using on your plants?

In another thread you and kitt I think it was were talking about using white rock and chalk. Isn't that just Limestone or something? Wasn't that for soil also?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Clean chalk was about calcium for Tomatoes ,, you can also powder the plant to slow blossom end rot problems .. It can be a fungus deterrent for smaller plants ..
Some carbons are a cell activator for Mytochondrial DNA (spelled wrong I know )
That can activate difficult seeds

Limestone is Calcium . calcium carbonate , combinations ,, good for plants sometimes ,,

Last season or season before that Daylily bloom Jen ..

About the time to set it outside during warmer weather the Bamboo shoot will be 10 inches tall , or slightly larger ,,, it is growing fast , The #4 Chinese type .
The other ,, maybe ,?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha ha - if only I could get a brain defrag too. Let me know if you find something that works, Ju. :)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Actually I think we could use a complete body defrag.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Oh, great idea, Sharon!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra, are you still in Texas? Everyone on here says it is real cold down there. Are you in that part of Texas? Think I would head home. Did you fly, drive, or???

I told them on the other thread that I was ordering house plants online. Well, it is going to be several months before I can get out and do anything in the yard. So this is how I take care of my need for a fix,

I ordered a Sweet Olive Tree Fudingzhu. For the smell. And 2 Bougainvilleas. One double red, and a variegated leaf with an orange flower. Here these will all have to be houseplants. They will never be large plants like in the SW, but that's ok.

I put one of my Philos in the sink with 20-20-20 fertilizer, don't think it has ever had any, poor thing. Hope it doesn't die of shock. It is one that has kind of a spade like leaf and they are about 10 inches long. Not a very tall plant because I don't have anything for it to hang on to. Do you have any poles or whatever to hold your plants up? If so, what do you use?

Well, it's getting on towards bed time,so better hang it up. ttyl,

Hi everyone I am back. It was cold the first few days, got warm the day before we left. Got to meet a DG'r from DelRio finally after chatting for 8 years here on Dave. Fun Stuff!
So, Joe took care of the basement gardens while I was gone, he did real good. nothing dried, dead or bug attacked. my seedlings are doing great as are my peppers and tomatoes.
I found a neat bug killer ( mostly for mealey bugs) It is called mouthwash :)
I am using cinnamon in my seedling cups. I took down a tub of small plants I started from cuttings, they will grow good down there.
I need to re-pot up some stuff, but will wait a bit, since it is still kind of cold outside, I am not really ready to go crazy over potting up stuff.
I use a calcium magnesium nutrient to my water as well as some fertilizer now since we have so many things budding, blooming or fruiting down there.
Okay, where is the back porch>? ;)

Your babies are looking great , JU. I have success on the germination of those pods you sent me, the windowsill bottles are getting green on the inside with little babes.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OMG that sounds cool. What are they? The ones that are turning green on the window sill.

Texas is a really big state Debra, don't know where anything except DFW airport is. That DGer you met in Texas didn't happen to be, oh gosh, can't think of her name now. She told me how to propagate roses. Areal nice lady.

So how is your sister? And that is really good that Joe took good care of the plants. What is the brand of Mouth WAsh, and how did you, or he, discover it was a good treatment for Mealy bugs?

I will get the link for the Back Porch we are on if you want to join us Debra, it is just a chat thread so we just talk about anything. I will get it and let you know. Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK Debra, here is the link to the Back Porch: Come join us when you can. Jen

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1387021/

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Way to go Debra !!! Maybe you will get Monarchs too !!!
Those don't germinate well for me ..
Those make me sneeze now , when they bloom ,,love the perfume fragrance of the flower though ,,
I use like them when I was real young , questions Like " What are doing growing weeds ? then , Nowadays Where can I find them ? the first few years about 15 yrs ago now ,,

Someday I will harvest a bunch I know are bound for preservation projects ,, I would like too ,, Several states are planting them along roadways ... There are some other plants that could be done with ,,

Great news ..

I have collected milkweeds from all over this state and also from Arkansas, so with yours I will have lots going. My orange butterfly milkweed is already established outside along with cinderella white and pink . The tropical milkweeds are coming back downstairs. they went dormant for a couple months. so excited to have a yard full of butterfly nectar and host plants.
Found the idea for mouthwash my self after figuring out it has alcohol on it, had some old half used bottles of mouthwash, some flavored, some not, so am using it as an additive for my plant spray.I use a cotton swab to get it on the crevices and spray all the soil and rims and sides of all the pots with it. Sure smells nice and clean and doesn't seem to have caused any damage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.