OUR BROMELIADS INTO 2015..

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – It seems I’m the only one here this morning, so I’ll keep it very brief and just concentrate on a few old pictures.

I don’t think there’ll be much work done here today as my aches and pains are catching up with me, especially the side of my chest on which I landed when I fell. I think the old body’s telling me I should rest for a couple of days, so maybe just a bit of quiet work on the computer.

Today I’ve selected more old file pictures, firstly (Pic1) Vriesea ‘Angela’, an “oldie” but still one of my favourites. Pic.2 is a very interesting plant and was taken on one our Brom. Society Garden Visits; it’s a pretty common one called Tillandsia secunda. It’s growing on a very large cactus at the front of one of our member’s homes.

It’s a very vigorous grower and as you see it is taking over the cactus on which it’s growing. The interesting thing is that it will produce abundant pups from the bracts once it has flowered, (See Pic.3) and often the weight of the inflorescence is so great as to cause it to droop right down and touch the ground, where the pups will often break off and new plants will start again.

Pic. 4 shows another “Golden Oldie”, Vr, ‘Grafton Sunset’, this is very common in our area and a very good grower.

Finally Pic.5,which is Nidularium longiflorum. It’s another very popular one which is easy to grow; and although it will grow in amongst the Neoregelias it is invaluable for use in shady areas, and will grow and flower easily in low light.

All the best, Nev

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Merino, Australia

Good morning all.
Its another lovely morning here with a light dew sparkling in the sun on all the plants.
If the day is going to like the last few days, the sun will heat up as the day goes on and be quite hot after lunch.
We had a very warm day last Wednesday, after a misty morning , which shows how variable the weather is.
I left here to go over to Hamilton and had the wipers on with the misty rain , but by the time I was halfway over, the sun was out .
It ended up so warm I was able to leave my cardigan in the car .
Living down in a valley now, I am finding the weather so different to what I was used to at the house. Its only 15 mins to the house, but like driving into another new page in the weather book....lol

Nev, you need to take it easy as the body can sustain numerous invisible lumps & bumps which take days to come out.
I know when I had a fall a few years ago, I was getting aches for weeks after .
It wasnt the hose for me, but a piece of plant stem...
I stepped over a large patch of long leaves but must have stepped on some and when the other foot followed, it caught in few leaves I was standing on. I was on the ground before I knew what was going on. No time to think of falling the right way, just thump.
I had to call for hubby to help me up as I had fallen on the wrong side, which then, was not going to let me move.
Its a worrying thing as we get older ...
Like you, I now carefully watch where my feet are going.

Love vr. Angela and also vr Grafton Sunset and they are two that definitely had to come with me when I moved.
My Angela gets plenty of direct sun all afternoon and is a lovely dark red. I am expecting to see pups as the mother was a prolific pupper.
I have only just cut the flower stem from my Grafton Sunset . It was finally looking shabby.
My little corner of tills are also looking great and liking where they are. No direct sun but lots of light and air.
I will be watching all the broms during the winter as it gets really cold and frosty here.
I will throw a cover of shadecloth over them in winter.

Colleen , lovely to see how the boys have grown.
You broms are looking very healthy too.

Hello Trish, Brian and Shirley..Nice to see all your pretty broms.
My maggies are at the door looking for breakfast, so I had better feed them.
I went over to the house last week and all the maggies there came down looking for food too. They dont forget.
Just a few more old pics today.
More of the bills I used to have. Ellen, Carioca, Euphemie Waterman...

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
Christchurch, New Zealand

Jean - have you ever seen frost cloth for sale in your area? No surprise that it's more popular than shade cloth here.

Sugar has been a ratbag today... I was having a nice cold beer after running the dog club funday this morning.
Put the beer down on the coffee table & turned my back for a moment - and heard the tinkle of glass & the sound of a dog lapping.
Yep my little minx knocked the bottle over & was busy slurping up as much beer as possible..

I drank about 4 mouthfuls & not sure how much the weasel drank but I think the carpet had the majority.

cheers - Teresa

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

We have had some beautiful rain and thunder storms these past couple of days and I have really enjoyed the sound of rain all around me while I have been merrily potting broms in our outdoor entertainment area that is fully enclosed; so far I have got about 60 pups potted and tomorrow will be spent finding room for them in the garden but at least half of them I will probably put aside for the next stall I have at our local market.

I also caught up with a friend for coffee this morning after coming back from the beach so that was nice and it gave me a bit of a break from everything for a couple of hours.

Joe has been on call and at work most of the weekend so we have only had a little bit of time together this long weekend and when he has been home he has been resting and catching up on sleep so he is feeling pretty exhausted at the moment but I have been taking care of him and making sure he comes home to a pot of tea brewing and a good meal on the stove every day when he gets home and getting him to put his feet and relax as much as he can when he is home.

Nev good to hear you are listening to your body and taking things easy and giving your body time to heal and I hope you are back to your normal self in no time.

That is great you had your grandson there to help you with any difficult chores; sounds like he really enjoys spending quality time with you and visa versa which is lovely as I am sure he thinks the world of you.

Hope you got all your broms potted in your garage. I have all of mine potted and ready to go outside tomorrow so that will be fun running around trying to find them the perfect spot to grow, should not be that hard though as I have done a bit of a clean-out with some of the old mothers going to the retirement village and the pups can go in the spot the original mother was so I can hopefully except the same from them in both size and colour hopefully.

My vrieseas improved greatly when I moved them out of our outdoor (enclosed) entertainment area, mainly because they were not getting enough airflow but they were getting good light but now looking at how they have progressed in the Igloo I am very happy that I moved them as I can see very good progress in both growth and colour.

Tomorrow I have some more shelving to go into my Igloo to accommodate all my seedling trays so I will try to get them in before it gets too hot in there as the humidity is a killer at the moment.

Thanks that’s interesting the history you found/shared with us about Vr. ‘Iced VoVo’, it refreshed my memory on what I had read about it when I first brought the plant as I normally like to write a little bit of history down about the Vrieseas I get so I will have to check if I wrote anything down back then and if I haven’t I will do so for future reference.

Nev the only thing with selling off mother plants is the decision on how many pups to keep as you would want to see them at least get to the stage of showing enough potential in both shape and colour before selling the mother. I would find it too difficult to do so but can understand the good reasoning behind it for those with limited space.

Great to hear you have cleared up some room in your Vriesea Shade House, as Neo’s are your favourite of all I am sure it won’t be long before it’s full of Neo’s again he he. I have the opposite in my Igloo mainly Vrieseas with only about a quarter of the area taken up by Neo’s that will end up in the garden eventually as the Vriesea’s grow and need to spread their wings.

I look forward to seeing pics of your Neo. ‘Orchid x Onyx’ seedlings whenever you get a chance. Fantastic pictures you posted of all your beautiful Neo’s with such breathtaking colour reflected in all of them.

I don’t let many people cover over to look at my broms but the few that do cover over I have met on numerous occasions when I have a stall at our local market where I have gained a good feel about them enough to invite over down the track as the last thing I want is someone greedy and dishonest coming over, aside from the fact that weekends are very precious to us given how busy we are and I like to have quality time to spend in the garden; so having a stall at the market every now and then works well for me as it takes the worry out of things and keeps everything under control.

Jean what a bugger you lost the post you wrote the other day, I know exactly how you feel as I have done this myself many (many) times before and I get so annoyed with myself for doing so.

Lovely pics you posted of your Bills’, they get such beautiful flowers on them don’t they.

I get my skewers Wiltshire brand from Coles for about $3 per back from the BBQ section; got the idea originally from Shirley here on this forum, they are fantastic for all my small and medium broms and for the large ones I just use bamboo sticks that I get from Bunnings that work a treat.

Colleen luv the picture of the Birthday Boy’s, was that the chocolate cake they ate while you were sleeping LOL.

That Cactus friend of yours would be someone well worth meeting with all that knowledge and passion for growing them; so can you see yourself collecting a lot more of them or are broms your ultimate passion. I just find broms so much easier to grow and care for and I tend to kill Cacti and Succulents a lot more than I do broms LOL.

Teresa HA HA Sugar is a LUSH getting stuck into that beer TOO FUNNY, hope she did not wake up the next day with a hangover LOL. My little Lucy does not mind a wee drop of beer every now and then when we are by the pool but Lexi is a coffee girl and looks forward to licking the dregs out of daddies takeaway cup on the weekends when we are at the beach and even try’s to chew the cardboard cup he he.

Shirley where are you our beautiful friend, drop us a line when you get a chance as we would luv to hear what you have been getting up to but sure broms are in there somewhere or everywhere like how we all spend our time.

Anyway time to head as want to get up reasonably early and get out in the garden.

Oh forgot to mention I discovered two pups on my Neo. Serendipity Girl' yesterday (finally) that I am thrilled to bits about as she is starting to get long in the tooth; so I have decided to let the pups take her over and let them suckle off the mother until she is gone as although the mother was nice she never really reached her full potential as the pup I believe was taken off a little too young, so with these pups I am going to let them get as big as they can get before I even consider splitting and potting them up. I did not check for any more eyes so possible the mum may have more but time will tell.

No pics tonight sorry, will take some fresh pics tomorrow.

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

Just waiting for the sunrise and birds to start their thing.

Been an unexpected active weekend that I thought would be taken up with my head down in the computer doing work.

Saturday I went to play some cricket for a team I fill in for occasionally and the other team was made up of disabled woman and men. I thought it would be a bit of an under arm 5 minute game, but these people really got into it and a couple of them were good cricketers. A great concept for them and probably should happen a lot more. They change the game so it is like an indoor game and instead of unlimited batting etc they all get 4 overs each.

Sunday I got a call from my brother-in-law and went for a paddle around the Brisbane Waters in a kayak. This was great fun and a good way to exercise, I am going to have to get one of these as you can get them that you can fish from, even better.

Colleen , thanks for the info on the Ipad, I have emailed them and will see what they say.
Funny about your boys and the chocolate cake, must have been a good one.

Nev, I like the picture of your shed with the Tibouchina over it and I have planted one up the back with a view for it to be some shade cover when I take over with Bromeliads. It says it is a dwarf variety so hopefully correct. Might not be the best choice if it is a messy tree.
I like the group shots of peoples plants to see how they are grown / set up, gives the inexperienced like myself ideas.
The person flogging the plant at your house just goes to show that there are scum bags in every walk of life, always looking to take advantage or get something for free.

Jean, nice pictures of your Bill's, sounds like you are getting cooler nights there than here. It was a stinker of a day here yesterday probably late 30's.
Nothing more annoying than typing then losing it, even though I don't write large posts I copy / paste as I go.

Teresa, I don't think I have found a dog that does't love beer, they all love it. I don't think a beer belly on Sugar would go down well come judging time though.

Trish, I don't know if this is over the top, but seems to me all the people that are growing a lot of plants would need to keep a record of some sort of what they have.
How long would it take the average Vriesea to decide to flower?

Anyway the sun has risen to a grey old day so I will put up a couple of pics, might go off to some local markets today and have lunch at the local pub nearby, have a nice Australia day for all those over here.

Brian

Pic 1.. Nice flower, but like the Bill's only lasts for a couple of days.
Pics 2 and 3 things are getting crowded.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2015 12:50 PM

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM

Brian - great pics... I get the feeling you are well & truly hooked on broms now :)

I had one dog that didn't like beer - I think before he ended up on the streets he might have had a bad experience with a beer drinker. He was terrified of a drunk who tried to approach us on the street.
The guy was busy telling me my dog was a Canadian Timber Wolf. Haski was a white GSD/Samoyed/Golden Retriever - we thought.

However if you put a glass of wine within his reach he would drink it.

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
shellharbour, Australia

Hi “Brom. Friends” – I hope you’re all enjoying the holiday weekend. The weather was pretty ordinary here yesterday up until about 6.00pm. Temp’s in the high thirty’s and stifling high humidity until about 1.00pm which was then broken by a warm westerly breeze. The breeze lowered the humidity but increased the temperature, but finally at about 6.00pm, we were relieved when a cool southerly change came through and made things comfortable once again.

I had rest day yesterday, as I didn’t feel too flash and that combined with the uncomfortable weather wasn’t much of an incentive to get out in the yard working in the garden. I have a load of plants in the garage all ready to be re-potted, but decided to leave them for another day and give my bumps and scratches more time to heal. I’m still a bit stiff this morning as I write this, but I can see a gradual improvement in my wrist and ribs, so it looks like I’m on the mend at last.

Jean – What you say about the vast difference between where you live now and your previous house makes us all realise that every place is different as far as cultural conditions go. I’ve noticed over the years that even mates in houses just down the street have very different cultural conditions to me. I’m on the high part of town and they are a bit lower and even though they are only half a kilometre away, just that difference in height has a considerable influence on winter temperatures.

We can even have considerable variations within our own yards and to give an example, I had some Guzmanias in my Neo shade house a few years back and they never did well and were always knocked around as soon as the cold weather arrived. Eventually, I moved them into my Vriesea shade house which although it’s probably only fifty feet away, has very different conditions. The bench is about four feet high compared to the previous one which was only one foot (a difference of 3 feet in height), but when you add this to the difference in the fall of the land, about 6-7 feet, the plants are now growing in an area about 10 feet higher than they were previously. Just this change made all the difference and being higher, they now suffer no cold damage in winter and love their new conditions.

Although in my previous job, we would always warn accident patients that it was very likely they would find other areas of soreness the next day, and as everything revolved around paper and report writing, they would need to report and record any new problems so they were covered by compensation. I never thought I’d be finding out these things for myself, and as you point out, I too am just now finding bruises in areas I never realised were injured. I think I just have to accept the hard cold fact that as I get older I am becoming more unsteady on my feet.

I have found that the handiest thing is to have a couple of plastic milk crates close by whenever I’m in the garden. When I’m on my knees weeding and need to get up, I just manoeuvre a milk crate on either side of my body and find them ideal to assist me to get back on my feet again…….What would we do without these handy universal bits of equipment ?

As Teresa mentioned, I think a roll of frost cloth may be a good investment for your new home, it’s quite cheap and can be found at nurseries, Bunnings, and similar stores. I’ve never used it myself, but I have a friend who moved from Camden to a property inland from Taree. He didn’t do his home work very well before he bought the property and after a short time found he was in an area which copped terrible frosts which knocked his brom’s around.

After trying different products you can spray on your plants such as one called “Envy”. See: http://www.fatcow.com.au/c/AgroBest-Australia/Protect-Against-Frost-and-Moisture-Loss-Through-Transpiration-with-new-Agrobest-Envy-Crop-Protection-n782120 My friend found that the Envy alone didn’t offer sufficient protection, but when combined with “Frost Cloth” it solved his problem. Frost cloth is a light weight white coloured type of cloth which can be re-used so would be an economical solution for a collection such as yours.

It’s good to see you have some Magpie friends as well. We have been feeding them ever since we came here to live and I don’t think there’s anything nicer than to hear them warbling as the sun comes up; what a great way to start a new day.

Teresa – It seems like your little lady has acquired a taste for beer now. Maybe you can shout her bottle each time she wins a prize. Nothing wrong with that dog of yours that didn't like beer and preferred wine, it seems he just had a classier pallet.

Your little story reminds me of an incident that occurred back in the ‘60’s where I lived at Dunmore. There was once a bloke on a farm there who bred pigs, and once a week he would come into Shellharbour and pick up a heap of unsold stale bread from bakers and then go to the pub where his mate (the barman) saved him the beer slops out of the trays beneath the beer taps.

He would take it all home and mix these two ingredients together and feed it to his pigs. The local butcher was one of his mates and between the two of them they would slaughter the pigs and cut up the pork, sell it through the butcher shop. Although I never tried any myself, the locals reckoned it was the best pork around and it was sold out as soon as word got around that it was ready for sale.

This was all illegal of course, as all meats were supposed to go through the registered local slaughter house and it wasn’t long before someone blew the whistle and the authorities came visiting. It ended up with him and the butcher getting very substantial fines from the Meat Board (which I think it was called at that time) and the owner of the pigs was also fined by the RSPCA for cruelty to animals. The locals reckoned he wasn’t being cruel though as the pigs always died with a smile on their face, Ha! Ha! (probably pissed)…….Sorry here I go again, off topic once again.

Trish – I’m sure Joe doesn’t mind being on call and working when required over the long weekend knowing that you’re going to spoil him when he comes home.

Yes I have been listening to my body, and the plants in the garage still haven’t been re-potted yet. Instead, I’ve been walking around the yard trying to find spare spots where I can put extra plants. I also noticed yesterday that the frogs are breeding as the little frog pond was almost covered with that foamy stuff which holds all of the frogs eggs together. There was even frogs eggs in one of the bird baths which we put in an out of the way spot for the shyer birds. It’s strange, one day it’s just clean water in the bath and the next day when I went to re-fill it again it was covered in “frog foam” (that’s what I call it anyway).

I’m pleased to hear that your Vrieseas have improved in their new location. For some reason people seem afraid to move plants around, and I think it comes from the advice that “if a plant’s doing well, don’t move it”; the fact is, if a plant’s not doing well, you need to move it until you find a suitable location, and sometimes it’s only a matter of moving a plant a few feet away from where it was originally that will make all of the difference.

I still haven’t taken a pic of the ginger you gave me, but the flowers are a brilliant scarlet/orange in colour and the canes are about four feet high if that’s any help in getting an ID.

I hadn’t forgotten about taking pic’s of the Neo. ‘Orchid’ x ‘Onyx’ seedling and I’ll do it when I get a pic of the ginger, maybe even today as it’s quite overcast so probably a good day for taking pic’s.

Those skewers you get from Coles sound like the same ones I get, and I thought at the time it was Shirley who told me about them also. What are the bamboo sticks you get from Bunnings for your larger plants, are they the green coloured ones we use for staking orchid flower spikes with?

That’s a good decision you’ve come to with your ‘Serendipity Girl'; if it’s starting to get long in the tooth as you describe, I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to remove her pups either; I would leave them attached until she eventually dies away naturally. I’ve found my ‘Serendipity Girl' is slow to produce pups and they are also a bit “touchy” if they are removed at the size normally recommended (one third to one half the size of the mother). It may just be my particular clone or my growing conditions but that’s what I’ve found in comparison with other Neo’s I grow.

Brian – I started this post at about 4.30 this morning but with a combination of slow typing and numerous interruptions, here it is now 11.45am and it still isn’t finished.

I think a lot of us underestimate the capabilities of disable people, true there are the severely disabled who are unable to take part in any of the physical things we read about, but a lot of people put all disabled people in this class, and it couldn’t be more inaccurate.

Last week I was watching the end of a documentary about disabled sportsmen/women. It was filmed in a big circus type marquee and the final act was a young bloke in a wheel chair who wheeled his chair over to a rope that was hanging down from the top of the tent. He reached out and took the rope in his hands and pulled himself (and wheelchair) hand over hand all the way to the top of the tent, and then used the same technique to descend back to the ground. but that wasn’t the end of it, instead of taking the easy way and sliding down the rope, he descended using the hand over hand technique once again

One of the young blokes I used to work with bought himself an ocean type kayak and goes out fishing in the ocean. Definitely not my cup of tea, especially when every night we hear of this same big shark travelling up and down the coast, just looking for a tasty kayak rider for dinner.

It was a very hard decision to chop down my Tibouchina as every year it was such a picture of colour. In the end it was the damage to the shade cloth caused by the falling leaves when they rotted that decided it had to go.

What’s the name of the flower in your first picture?

Secondly, although I’m not a Tilly grower, I think from what I’ve been told and what I’ve read that your Till’s hanging on the wall would benefit from being up higher as they like abundant light.

Anyway, time to go; sorry no pic’s this time but I’ll try and take some today.

All the best, Nev.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Happy Australia Day!!!

Just got home from dinner and about to make lunches for tomorrow and head off to bed reasonably early to get ready for another big week.

Found good spots for all the broms I recently potted which was good as well as had a bit of a clean up in the Igloo and put the new shelf in for my seedling trays.

Anyway I will play catch-up on all the threads I missed hopefully tomorrow.

Trish

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – What a wet dismal day it is here today; drizzling rain and so overcast you could almost reach up and touch the clouds. Anyway, the brom’s will love it and it will save me some more work as I won't need to water.

As I had planned, I didn’t do any work yesterday and I must say my aches and pains are much better for the bit of a spell, so maybe for a few more days, it will be to advance slowly in small steps, (and watch where I’m putting my feet).

Trish – Pleased to hear you achieved what would be almost impossible for me to emulate, i.e. “Find good spots for all the brom’s I’ve recently potted”. Sounds like you’ve had a relaxing, albeit productive weekend after all. Did Joe get a chance to re-charge his batteries also or was he called in to work all the time?

It looks like everyone else is still getting over the Australia Day holiday weekend, so as there’s not much to talk about (and before I have a chance to get side tracked yet again), I’ll finish up with some new pic’s with some explanatory notes to go with them.

Just for a change here’s five new pic’s, (only taken yesterday). The four Neo’s are all new hybrids of mine and are good examples of the saying “always expect the unexpected”. They have all been grown in less than ideal conditions (over crowded) but I have high hopes of better things when they’re grown with a bit of space and room to move.

Pic.1 is Neo.’Red Rocket’ x ‘George’s Prince’, and following, is a brief description of the parents:

Neo. ‘Red Rocket’ is a variegated plant with green leaf margins from Chester Skotak’s stable. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=6692#6692 while the popular Anderson hybrid of Neo. ‘George’s Prince’ is a medium sized plant with nice wide leaves and an appealing soft pale mauve/lilac centre. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=4541#4541

The next three hybrids are examples from a cross I did of Neo.’Orchid’ x ‘Black Onyx’. This is the same grex where Trish’s recent example with the unusual centre (which she posted on 19th) came from. Below are a brief descriptions of the parents of this cross:

Neo.’Orchid’ is a Grace Goode hybrid made from Neo. princeps x fosteriana (two species) and has a most unusual colour described on the BCR as “transparent appearance of a pale purple color”. I’ve found it’s one of those unusual colours that can’t be captured accurately with a camera, and this explains why the pic on the BCR is nothing like the descriptions. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=6136#6136

Neo. ‘Black Onyx’ is an entirely different plant altogether and is a John Catlan hybrid bred from Neo.’Silverado’ as the seed parent and an unknown pollen parent. The colour is an unusual darkish chocolate colour which changes to a light lime green toward the centre of the cup. No further information is given on the BCR but you can see a good likeness in the picture at: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3199#3199

If you like to do a little exercise and compare each of the hybrids of the Neo.’Orchid x ‘Black Onyx’ grex with the parents, I doubt you’ll find any similarities, except they are all Neo’s, and this is what makes hybridising so interesting.

Pic 5 is the flower of the ginger plant given to me by Trish and is included here just so I can get an ID from Trish.

All the best, Nev

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

it's drizzly here, I feel a bit cheated as they predicted a fine day with drizzle tonight...
mind you if it clears by tonight I will be happy as I am teaching a basic obedience class on Tuesday nights. The course is 5 weeks in total & started last week, I have two newbies coming tonight, Should be easy for them to catch up as I do a recap on the previous weeks lesson to start with.

I should try attaching some of my Bil. nutans to the Australian Pepper Tree but I still haven't figured out how I am going to do the attaching...

I do have some of those U shaped nails - but that might restrict the growth.
hmmm - I guess if I try with a small piece & see how it goes?

take care everyone
cheers - Teresa

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
It is the usual lovely sunny but cool morning we have been having lately. What annoys me though is it starts to get nice and warm so i take off the cardi and by lunchtime its become windy and cold. I even put the heater on the other afternoon as it became really cold
Its more Autumn weather than Summer.
Summer really doesnt hang around too much in this part of the state though.
We get the odd very hot days, but mostly its mild.

Nev & Teresa , thanks for the info on the frost cloth.
I had heard of it but never had the need for anything like that.
I will look in Hamilton of Thursday.
The area where I will put the broms is under the wide eaves so that does offer some protection, but its the cold wind we get here in winter that can do damage.
The cloth will help with that.
I can fit all the broms under the eaves for the winter, so they should be happy until next Spring.
I notice a few more pups coming and my large vr. Angela has a new pup too.
I think I may leave pup removing until the Spring as there are various sizes of pups and by then they should all be large enough to come off at the same time.

Teresa, dogs can have some weird tastes, just like us, I suppose...lol
I had a dog who loved tomatoes. He would go along the rows when we were picking tomatoes and grab the ripe ones near the ground.
Cats can be the same. One of my daughter's cats used to love cheese sandwiches and would climb right up her body to reach for a bite .
I think a lot of people have the wrong ideas of what a lot of animals will eat...
It must come from people not looking around them closely at nature.

Trish, lovely to see you have moved a lot of your broms. Its fun playing musical broms when you only have a few like me, but I imagine its a big job when you have lots ,as you do.
I used to do more moving at the house, with a lot more plants.
As Nev said, moving is good when a plant looks like it needs to be somewhere else

Nev, keep taking a rest, as our older bones now need that extra time to heal.
When I had the big garden at the house, I built seats all over the place as I went . Even when you dont feel tired , its nice to just relax and look at the garden.

i love the old milk crates and bought a few of mine with me here. So handy to use as a potting table or a quick seat.
I found a couple of mine , years ago when renting a place, long before I met my dear hubby.
I carted them with me when I moved as noone wanted them.
So handy for carrying things in or packing when moving..

Brian, you have a very nice lot of broms there. I think you definitely qualify as a bromaholic...lol
I see a few spaces that will soon be filled, I bet.

Better move as today is the day for my hospital group. We are having a bar-b-q for a late Australia day celebration.
I see clouds coming up so looks like the usual quick change from sun to cloudy. I hope any rain holds off , at least until the barbie is over.

Take care everyone and enjoy your sunshine.

Just a pic of my latest rose EbbTide. Must get new pics of the broms.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. Well, the boys have gone off to school, the washing's nearly finished, the dishes are done and just a bit of tidying up to do, then the day is mine. I will have to go and get some chook food later but that's not an emergency. Talking about dogs with strange tastes, my son's dog Sage would sit right in front of you and drool if you had an orange. The first time she did this I couldn't work out what was wrong. I finished up just offering her a segment of my orange because I didn't know what she was on about and she gobbled it down and was looking for more. I had another dog that we took out grape picking with us and he would wander down the row of vines eating the grapes off the bottom bunches. Nev so glad that you are feeling not so sore now. Take it easy . I had a bloke come around to look at the broms on Sunday. He said that he was trying to make a tropical garden and now needed some colour. We decided that it may be a better idea for me to have a look at his area first and then decide what and where. Well, the boys and I took a trip out to his place yesterday. His area is as big as my whole house block here and that's only the part that's going to be the tropical garden. He has 4 large ponds connected by waterfalls and creeks all cemented. It's a mess at the moment as he works 5 days a week and runs 2 fruit blocks, and his wife doesn't do anything in the garden. This is his baby. I am certainly going to be able to help him out with the broms and plus get rid of all these pots full of the more common ones. I can see just where to put Pyramidalis around the bases of the palms. He has about 30 different palms scattered through there, some are only small yet but they will grow. 2 of the pond are so big they're more like small swimming pools all hand-made. I would love one or two in my back yard. The ducks would be in heaven. Anyway I will let you know how I go with it all. Once he starts putting the broms in there I'll go and take some pics. All very exciting. Well washing is ready to hang out so will leave you all. Have a great day. Colleen

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Cool and windy here today, although the rain has stopped after raining most of yesterday and the earlier part of the night, so it looks like into the garage again to continue with the re-potting I started yesterday. I only did about twelve Vriesea seedlings to see how my aches and pains held up to it and was surprised to find everything worked pretty well. The good sign is though, that I’m not sore this morning, so today I’ll increase the potting rate a little bit more and by doing that, I’m convinced I’ll be back to potting like normal in another couple of days.

Teresa – As for attaching your Bill. nutans to the tree, you can use any of several commonly used methods which depend on what the base of the plant looks like. If you have a woody rhizome joining a few plants together, this is a good place to fix by using fencing “staples” (what you call U shaped nails) as they usually fit over the rhizome and can be hammered into the tree without damaging the plant.

If there is a convenient fork in the tree, this is an ideal place to plant your brom as it will eventually trap falling litter which will build up and provide food for the plant, just make sure the plant is secure and can’t move around.

Alternatively you can tie the plant on the trunk or a branch with old nylon stockings or the legs off pantyhose; these are ideal as they are very strong, they will stretch a bit and won’t rot. Stretch them over the base of the plant and tie firmly around the tree. The thing is the plant must not be able to move, otherwise it won’t make any roots. It’s best to use pups which are just to the stage where they are starting to produce roots, or even an old mother which is just producing a new pup. It’s unlikely the old Mother will produce any roots, but as its pup grows, it will produce roots which will then attach to the tree.

Whatever you chose to do, I prefer to always mount directly onto the bark of the tree; some people will put sphagnum or potting mix between the plant and the tree, but the roots will then grow into this in preference to attaching to the bark and will then take longer to attach to the bark itself as they prefer to take the easier option.

The other thing to remember is that while these plants/pups are becoming established, they will require more water and a bit of foliar feeding as they can no longer rely of the potting mix to provide nourishment and because they are now exposed to more air circulation, they will dry out more quickly than in a pot.

Jean – It seems the unsettled weather is becoming the norm all around the country now, as we seem to sometimes be having four different seasons in the same week up here, and it’s difficult to just plan your day normally, you always now need a “Plan B”.

I hope you had nice weather for your hospital groups’ Australia Day BBQ. I think it’s good for all volunteer groups to get together for a BBQ on these occasions as it helps to create more camaraderie. We have a small group of our volunteers at the museum now where anyone can put in a dollar a week and each month we attend a BBQ lunch. As well as the food, the $1 entitles them to sit at the “Table of Knowledge” where we all discuss and solve all of the world’s problems. We had hoped for a possible “Knighthood” from the Prime Minister this year but he gave it to Prince Phillip instead…….Ha! Ha!

The eaves of a house will provide much more protection than we realise, but just keep an eye out for those little areas that aren’t fully protected as these are the ones that suffer the worst heat or cold damage. The Frost Cloth is a good standby and can be easily thrown over the exposed plants and rolled up and put away when not required.

I totally agree with what you say about the eating habits of animals. Although dogs and cats are carnivores, that doesn’t mean they won’t eat other things if given the opportunity. For the most part, domestic pets are reliant on what we give them, but I know for a fact that when I was young, greyhound breeders would always add grated carrot to their Greyhound’s diet, yet has anyone ever heard of dogs commonly eating carrots? It’s generally believed that dogs hate citrus, yet I’ve seen several dogs that like it. It seems animals are just like us, they have their likes and dislikes and if provided with the choice of food we have, we would probably be surprised at what they would eat.

As for the cheese eating cat, well that doesn’t surprise me either, because we all know how much cats like milk, and after all, what’s cheese made from?

We are told now that we shouldn’t give dogs chocolate as it’s no good for them, and in extreme cases may be fatal, but before we were married, my wife had a Dachshund (Sausage Dog) who one night ate a whole block of fruit and nut chocolate, (wrapper, silver paper and all) which some kind person had left within her reach on a coffee table. She just stole it and went behind the lounge to eat it, but the give-away was the little bit of wrapper she dropped when she was opening it…..No one told her it wasn’t good for her and she didn’t seems to suffer any ill effects.

As for milk crates, I think they are the handiest thing in the universe. Everyone seems to have one or two, builders always have them in their ute’s as do painters, plumbers and plasterers. They are the Leggo Blocks for adults and although printed clearly on them is the warning they are the property of the milk company, and there are fines for their improper use; they are never stolen; just borrowed. In fact I got a couple of slightly damaged ones at the tip once and the bloke on the gate told me I was lucky to get them as there is usually a “war” over who gets them anytime some are dumped.

It’s really funny watching all of the people who sit “on the hill” at the football games at WIN Stadium as they walk through the turn-stiles all carrying their own personal milk crate to sit or stand on to watch the game. It would be interesting to know just how many are spread throughout this country.

Colleen – Back to normal at last; it seems the kids there go back a day earlier than here as ours all go back today, I wonder when the Queensland kids go back. I’ve said this before, but wouldn’t it be easier if all schools in the country had unified holiday times?

Sound like you could end up starting “Colleen’s Bromeliad Landscape Supplies” and finish up with no brom’s at all if this bloke decides to plant his large area with brom’s. Tell him to send a “semi” up here and I can do him a deal….One way to make some extra space.

It will be interesting to see some pic’s of his area before and after, so I’ll give that job to "Colleen the photographer".

I’ll finish today with firstly three pic’s of some of my new Neo. hybrids, Pic.4 is a Niduregelia ‘Something Special’ x (Unknown) hybrid, and Pic. 5 is a picture of one of my little spider friends as he lies in wait for his next meal and watches over the half dozen green seed capsules in the centre of his plant..

All the best, Nev.

STOP PRESS: The rain has started again and it's now bucketing down once more.

I should have waited a day...
put a couple of bils onto the tree I used a bit of bark to over the top of them & attached the plants that way.

I'll have to get some photos to show exactly what I mean...

cheers - Teresa

Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

Been steady rain here for the last couple of days, there is a lot of water running down the hill.

Colleen, I will be interested to see the results of your planting at the bloke's place as I have to start planting up the back yard.

Nev, The flower you asked about is apparently on a Magnolia tree.
I won't be getting an ocean going kayak as I would never be able to paddle that far.
Thanks for the advice on the Till's I will lift them up some.
Bunnings sell packets of bamboo that are about 6' long and various thickness.
The milk crate has got to be the most used item for everything other than what it is made for, you can't get enough of them.

Jean, are you what we would call a 'pink lady' hospital volunteer? My wife has been working in the hospitals for a while and I always pick her up. We would sometimes give a lady a lift home who volunteered her time to go in there and speak to the families of the ill people. I thought this was a great thing for her to do.

Teresa, looking forward to seeing your bills up in the tree.

Hi Trish and Shirley, hope your are getting some of this rain as well.

Oh well I have had my head in this computer since 6.00am so better get off.

Pics of Vrieseas getting a follow up dose of Confidor (?)

Brian

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM

steady drizzle interspersed with light rain this morning, anyone who say me with a watering can wetting the trunk of a tree would have though me mad...

I was actually giving the bils a soak, didn't think enough rain would get to the trunk & I was correct as it was dry.

The lower branches gave me a nice cold shower, note to self - trim those lower branches. ( that'll teach em)

The bark I attached the bils with seems to stay damp for a while so I think that will help the plants establish (hopefully)

Brian - nice looking Vrieseas :)

Once it dries up outside I will take the photos of Bils on the tree but as the forecast is for the wet to continue it might be a while.

This month is shaping up as the driest January on record. Last night on the news they were reporting on one town having issues with water theft - some townsfolk are removing the 'limiter' on their connection & exceeding their 1000L per day allowance. Not sure where it's going as all the lawns visible in the story were toasted.

No restrictions in ChCh yet but I have cut back on watering, my tomatoes & strawberries are in pots and instead of rinsing bottles, milk containers in the sink I fill them & empty them on the pots.

I don't know about broms but many plants enjoy a drink of diluted milk.

cheers all - Teresa

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – The rains seems to have all gone but it’s cold this morning with a rather strong southerly wind blowing. Like Jean says, the weather is different every day.

Teresa – It doesn’t matter what way you attached the plants, as long as they are firm and can’t move.

Those methods I mentioned are just a couple more commonly used by growers; and growers being as inventive as they are, will always come up with different and better ways of doing things, we may just find that the method you’ve used is the best yet, only time will tell. The main thing is to remember they require more water than plants in pots.

Photos of things like this are always good as they clearly illustrate what you have done much better than words. We’re looking forward to seeing some pic’s of your handi-work.

In case you're thinking of trying the diluted milk on brom's, a word of warning. A few years back, diluted milk was used to clean the leaves of brom's prior to showing and it was found that after a couple of days, the plant would start to stink. The stink was coming from the accumulation of milk down in the bottom of the plant's vase and it was "going off" due to the warm temperature. Worse still, if not thoroughly flushed out with clean water, it was a good starting point to incubate rot.

Brian – I suspected that flower may have been a Magnolia but as I’m not very knowledgeable about these things it was just a guess as they are all out in flower around here at present and the perfume is almost overpowering.

I haven’t noticed those bamboo sticks in Bunnings, are they in the garden section?

As for milk crates; well I couldn’t have put it better myself. Have a look at the following link and see what they’re doing with them in the US. http://www.101usesforamilkcrate.com.au/

You’re lucky to have sufficient space around your plants to be able to spray them properly. What are you spraying for? They all look healthy enough from where I’m sitting.

You say you are using “Confidor”, which is a good proven insecticide, however it uses the active ingredient of Imidacloprid which has been linked to the decimation of large bee populations in Europe and elsewhere.

There is also another spray on the market called Defender Max Guard, which is supposed to be just as effective as Confidor and as well as being a systemic spray, is also a residual and contact spray as well and supposedly much less harmful to bees and other useful insects. The active ingredient of this is acetamiprid, a completely different chemical to Imidacloprid and said to be a much safer to use.
See: https://www.scottsaustralia.com.au/defender/defender-pest-and-weed-control/defender-maxguard/

It’s surprising just how many people spray plants and forget to spray beneath the leaves; this is important as it’s where most of the insects hide and breed and where a lot of disease starts. It is particularly important with contact sprays when insects are active; however systemic sprays aren’t so important as the insecticide gets into the plants system and is designed to kill insects when they bite, chew or suck the sap from the leaves. Nevertheless, for the proper coverage of any insecticide or fungicide both surfaces of the leaves should be covered until saturated.

That’s a nice collection of Vrieseas you are building there Brian, they’re looking good.

Time for me to go as I have a bit of running around to do today now that the rain has stopped so I’ll finish today without any pic’s as I’ve run out of time.

All the best, Nev.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi All - Just thought I'd drop in for a chat but there's no one here. I hope everyone's well and it's not illness that's keeping everyone away.

Anyway that's it from me today.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804

Hi Nev - I don't use the milk mix on my bils. I had a funny feeling I shouldn't...

now I know why :)

Just spent 2 hours applying for jobs, one really excites me as it sounds ideal.
Fingers crossed that I at least get an interview.

pics 1-4 are the bils.

Don't think they are going to move but I wonder if they are close enough to the tree under their bark protectors.

The bark seems to stay damp which should help slow down drying out (I hope)

cheers all

Teresa.

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - It looks like it's back to just you and I again Teresa. Your Bill tied on with bark looks like it should be OK; the only comment I'd make is to keep an eye out for any new pups starting to grow and make sure they aren't restricted by the bark. It that case you may need to trim away a bit of bark in the area of the pup so that it won't be restrained from growing.

Not starting out to be a good year for our family; my son was a victim of a "hit and run" while riding his bicycle to work in Bali two days ago. He's suffered a fractured humerus and shoulder and has been flown to Singapore for treatment. When I asked if he was wearing a crash hat, he said , "yes, but I should have been wearing the bloody thing on my shoulder". So at least he hasn't lost his sense of humour.

Time to go again and a few of my pic's to finish with. Pic.1 Our kookaburra family waiting for breakfast along with Fred our resident Seagull, Pic.2 Neo. concentrica x Fireball, Pic.3 Looking into the Neo. shade house from the doorway. Pic.4 Neo.'Fanfare' and finally a little puppy for Teresa.

All the best, Nev.

Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

Looks like a brilliant day here today, going to start off shovelling 10t of gravel at the brother in-laws, should be me done for the weekend.

Nev, hope your son recovers well, bastards that don't stop after an accident.
Looks like breakfast at your place is worth waiting for. A patient bird the kookaburra. I think Fred's going to be waiting a while.
I think the shadehouse in the background is what I will put up the backyard, slope of the land makes it hard to do a conventional one.
I like the colours in that Neo. 'Fanfare'. Is that a small plant?

Teresa, nice job of putting the Bills in the tree, they look like they should be there. Hope they take hold before the N.Z winter ( I wonder how long that is?)

Anyhow, on the IPad so can't do any pictures yet so have a good weekend.

Brian

Nev - hope your son recovers quickly!
Such a cowardly thing to leave the scene of an accident leaving some one injured.

I think the bark will break down - I tried to nail it to the tree & it was too crumbly for that.
Just hope the plants are attached before that happens - it should last a while yet though.

Brian, always hard to know when winters is going to start in earnest but by June it alternates between crisp frosty starts & icy rain - and some days might see snow.

pic 1 - June 6, 2012, my 7th wedding anniversary.
pic 2 & 3 - the actual wedding day. We had horrible freezing rain the day before & I was so relieved that we awoke to brilliant sunshine - however it was bitterly cold & we were relieved when the official photos were finished & we could head back to the reception to thaw.

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
Tascott, Australia

Sorry Teresa,

I didn't write that correctly.
I meant how long the plant would take to grab hold of the tree. haha

Lovely wedding pics as well, not often we see a bridal photos in the snow. Geez it looks cold.

Brian

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
Another cloudy morning here but should warm a bit later.
We seem to have a lot of cloudy days here in my area even during the hot weather.
Maybe we are too far south for the sun to send much heat to burn off the clouds.

Here we are already into Feb and Easter coming up. I have seen hot cross buns in the shops since Christmas.
It seems these days , we might as well just have everything in the shops all year.
Apparently the shops dont consider each occasion a separate celebration...lol

Teresa, you can keep your snow, pretty as it looks.
A friend is up in our north at the moment and says the humidity is awful. So different to down here.
Just as well we all get something different or what in the world would we all complain about....
I hope Miss Mischief is behaving well.
She is turning into a real couch potato when at home.
I bet Baz spoils her rotten as the two relax on the couch.
Good luck with the job hunting..

All my broms are looking great with the mild weather .
I finally took a few new pics and can see a lot of difference in just the few months they have been here.

Brian, you are fast amassing a nice lot of broms. Be careful putting up a shade house as they do seem to multiply...lol
I ended up with 6 at the old place.
I remember my hubby saying I would never fill the first one we built.
Its like a disease.... You put your plants in the new shadehouse and have some space, so buy a few just to fill the space and look nice....
Haha... Now you have filled the space, you need more room for the pups all coming so must decide on building another.... and on it goes.
Just ask , Nev, Shirley and the others. ... It is fun though...until you get older or ill and look around at all those plants..

Trish, I bet your mum has a real yard full of broms now. I am glad she has something nice to enjoy.
Gardening may get a bit much at times, but its still a relaxing way to pass the days.

Colleen, nice to see you are able to get rid of some broms and make room for new ones.
I hope you have a lot of fun helping your new friend with broms . Sounds like he has a very ambitious garden planned.
Look forward to seeing some pics..

Nev, so sorry about your son . I hope he recovers quickly. Its amazing what some people can do without caring about others.
I have seen some of those places overseas on TV and shudder to think of driving there let alone riding a bike.
Talk about mad drivers..

One of my pet hates are the drivers here who always seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere.
I had 3 cars sitting behind me the other day and I usually drive along around 85 - 90 which to me is quite fast enough to get anywhere. The first car passed on the first available stretch of road,which was okay, but then the other two followed. I had to slow and put my foot on the brakes to let them in front as a very large semi was coming the other way.
This happens so often.. I wonder why they are all in such a hurry all the time. Leave a bit earlier and allow time for things like roadworks etc..
School is starting again here. Mums dropping off kids are notoriously bad at rushing around and very careless about where and how they park.

Nev, I hope your injuries are slowly healing and that the person who left the hose out , is remembering to roll it up...lol
Time I went and watered a few pots.

pic 1... neo Victoria x Lamberts Pride flowering... she has a pup coming too.

pic 2...neo Allure, also flowering and has a pup.

pic 3...neo Lamberts Pride has really colored up and also has a pup.

pic 4... a group shot.

pic 5...more broms.

Jean.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2015 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

We have had such a very busy weekend with my brother visiting from Victoria and then my sister, brother-in-law, 2 x nieces and great niece are coming over to stay with us all next weekend so busy, busy, busy we will be. I have no time off during the week but at least we get some time together on the weekends which will be nice.

Brian I luv nothing more than waking up with the birds but I only get to hear them on the weekends as when I leave for work in the mornings they are still catching Zzzzzzzz’s ha ha.

We got some good rain her but it’s over for now and possibly more predicted during the week so the weather man says.

The cricket game sounded like lots of fun and like you said what a great concept for them. So do you play cricket often; also paddling around Brisbane Waters also sounds lovely, what a great way to exercise.

In response to your question “How long would it take the average Vriesea to decide to flower”, good question to ask, I have kept records on my collection and it seems to vary from one Vriesea to the next but I have found that from Pup stage to Maturity my Vriesea’s are taking approximately 3 years to flower and some I am still waiting to flower after 5 years depending on the variety, size of the pup when I got it and growing conditions really governs the timeframe. As well as some of mine pup before they flower and some flower before they pup so that adds to the mystery of growing them but never the less I really like growing them and lucky I am a very patient person and don’t mind waiting. Out of the approximately 200 Vrieseas I have I only have about 4 in flower spike at the moment if that helps any and pups popping up here and there which is nice.

So do you find many broms for sale at the markets you go to? I find them at our markets but mainly of the more common types that I already have or have given away because I want to make room for nicer ones; but on the odd occasion I come across one’s I have never seen before and that’s always exciting and why I like going every now and then.

Your broms are looking great; your Vriesea’s are especially looking lovely and growing nicely; have you decided to build a shade house to accommodate more?

Nev I hope you are feeling much better; so sorry to hear about your son been injured in Bali that’s terrible how it happened and I hope the cowardly person that left the scene gets there just deserves.

Luved the picture you posted of your Neo. Shade-house from the doorway, very pretty indeed and so organised.

Joe was called into work for pretty much all of the long weekend and is again on call this weekend so pretty darn tired at the moment plus has a big week at work ahead that he is not looking forward to.

Great to hear frogs are breeding in the frog pond, I wonder what sort of frogs they are.

The bamboo sticks I get from Bunnings’ are not the green one’s but the plain coloured ones that come to about knee height, they are perfect for my large growing broms.

I too luv using old milk crates around the yard, they are perfect for so many different uses to put stuff on and in and I often use it as a coffee table out there while I work busily.

That gingers not from me Nev as I do not have that one growing in my garden and don’t know the name of that one? I will have to re-post some pics of what the Pink and Red Gingers look like so that when your one does flower you can take a picture for me to see.

Thanks when I get a spare minute I will have to look at all the links you attached from the BCR regarding Neo. ‘Orchid’ and Neo. ‘Black Onyx’.

Luved the pics of your little spider friends sitting on your beautiful broms waiting for their next meal; how wonderful is nature hey.

Teresa what fantastic wedding pics you shared with us, you look stunning as well as I can see that you have a fantastic sense of humour and don’t mind having a bit of fun and letting your hair down.

The obedience course you are teaching sound very interesting, have you anymore newbies starting since last and how many in total taking the course.

All the best with the job hunting / interviews, my fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Your Bills’ look great in the tree and hopefully they will do very well there for you.

Jean I too discovered pups on my Vriesea ‘Angela’ this weekend and they look very lovely so full of that beautiful beetroot colour. Your broms look amazing; you are doing such a fantastic job with them.

I am getting very used to remembering the best spot for my Neo’s and remember to put the pup in that exact spot when the mother goes into retirement, don’t know how I remember possibly from all the pictures I take makes me remember easily down the track?

How did your Australia Day BBQ go with your hospital group, sure you had a fantastic time with everyone.

Yes mums having a wonderful time in the garden playing with her broms and orchids and tries to get out there every day when the weather is nice enough for her to do so but it’s good that she rests if she feels too tired or not well or it’s too hot or cold out there and that she listens to her body and what the weather is doing.

Your rose bush EbbTide is gorgeous, is it a highly scented one as it has that look about it; I adore the one’s that smell.

Colleen our dogs like to eat watermelon lots and during mango season they get a little bit of mango now and again; but they luv most of all frozen peas ha ha.

Great that you have someone chasing lots of broms for their garden and great that you will be able to help him work out where to put what where and that you have some nice big ones that he could use as great landscaping plants; look forward to seeing progress pics if he does not mind sharing them with us.

Anyway time to head off as dogs to feed, dinner to get on and want to spend time with my little brother (nine years younger than me) for I am back to work tomorrow.

Sorry no pics today; I will do my best to log on in the evenings during the week.

Trish

Hi Trish,
my newbies didn't turn up, one had her dog come into season & the other has touch rugby on Tuesday nights...
So class remains at 6 people which is great for me to handle by myself without anyone missing out on attention.

My dogs have all been happy to eat anything that falls from a tree - including birds ;0

Copper used to climb into my plum tree to help himself to the fruit he couldn't reach from the ground... he was a tall dog when standing on his hind legs - as tall as me, so we were in direct competition for the lower growing plums. (I stand at about 5ft or 154.5cm)

Sugar hasn't realised she can stand up to pick fruit but hunts around the base of the tree the moment I let her outside.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Sorry I haven’t had time to read the posts or respond for a day or so but we’ve been pretty busy here with family matters.

Jean – I have to agree with you about the snow; I was caught in it unexpectedly once and had to spend the night sleeping beneath a hastily rigged up lean-to made from a canvas ground sheet. I’ve never been so cold and I never want to see snow again.

As for building shade houses, there was a rule among orchid growers once (and I’m sure it’s the same for bromeliad growers) and it was: Always build your shade house twice as large as you think you need it and then load it up with half as many plants as you had intended to put in it and it will still be too small. This problem arises from the common belief that “there’s always room for just one more”.

Your pic’s are a good example of what Neo’s are doing at the moment and that is, showing nice colour. Make the most of it though as our Neo’s won’t retain their colour for as long as those up north in the warmer climates.

Trish – Thanks for the info about the “Bamboo sticks” at Bunnings, I’ll have a look next time I’m over there. If I don’t have any luck maybe I’ll get them at the new Masters Store they’re building, “it’s massive”, and claimed to be 75% larger than Bunnings. It’s so large I’ll need a motorised scooter to get around it. Does anyone have experience with Masters Stores, are they any better than Bunnings?

I don’t know what sort of frogs are breeding in the pond, probably just those ones I never see but just hear of a night when they make their monotonous “glump” noise. Anyway, it’s still a sign of a healthy garden so I’ve got to be thankful for that.

What you say about my ginger really has me puzzled, as I’ve never got ginger plants from anyone but you, and the only other one I had was that common one that grows quite tall and has a lemon coloured flower head with beautiful perfume. It was here when we bought the house years ago, but unfortunately it’s continued trouble by borer in this area prompted me to dig it all out for that reason.

I remember you sending me two different plants and I potted them both up and planted them (pot and all) in the same place. One died during the winter and the other grew and that’s what I thought the one in the picture was. Could it have been a sport from the plant you sent? Do Gingers “sport” like any other plants, or is the colour just different because of our cooler climate; certainly a puzzler and something to think about, maybe we’ve discovered a new variety?

It’s good to hear that your Mum’s well and enjoying her brom’s; unfortunately the cooler weather will soon be visiting her again and it will be time to spend more time inside out of the cold.

Teresa – I’ve never heard of a dog climbing a tree to eat the fruit. Maybe he had a bit of “Basenji” in his breeding lines as I know these dogs are expert tree climbers as the chap, over the back fence from my sister-in-law has one and he spends just as much time in the back yard tree as he does on the ground. Maybe he’s related to a Tree Kangaroo, Ha! Ha!

Sorry, there's no facility for loading pic's this morning so that’s all for now; I’ll try and get back tomorrow.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. At last I can use my laptop properly again.
I had a problem with anything loading as the speed was so slow, the darn thing would time out.
Telstra tells me its because I used up my allowance for the month so the speed slows down.
To me thats not slow, its just about stop.
Noone mentioned to me that I had an allowance. Have to fix that next time I am in Hamilton.
Hasnt bothered me before, but apparently, because I was looking at a lot of videos about painting on youtube, ,it used up my time.

Nev, there is a very big Masters store over in Mt Gambier. We have been there quite a few times and hubby found it too big and confusing for him in the hardware part.
I loved the nursery section....huge....
I did get a lot of excellent bargains in plants when they had their opening, so watch out when yours opens.
I found the plant section larger than the Bunnings over there but similar prices.

Hello to everyone else. I am off again today to my hospital group.
Its not to do with helping at the hospital, just a group of those that live around the area and most activities for us oldies are run by the hospital , so we use their rooms and also get our lunch provided for a small cost.
I need to be gone earlier as the car is going in for a service. Hubby was very good with all that every year, but I have had so much else going on, the car was left out.

No brom pics today , but one of the painting I have just done. Its my first experience with using a palette knife for a painting. I normally only use brushes.
The pic is not the best as its taken inside and has a shine form the flash. I was pleased with how the painting turned out anyway.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

It’s so nice to be in the air-conditioning when I get home as it’s so hot out there at the moment on the job site.

Teresa what a bugger your newbies did not turn up for your class but 6 sounds like a good number like you say for everyone to get some attention.

Ha Ha yes my two pouches also like to eat birds if they fall out of the trees and they like to roll in anything they have caught/killed and that’s when they are not in my good books but I know it’s just their nature but still makes me angry never the less because it’s not like they are hungry or anything.

Nev I hope your son is on the road to recovery and in good hands.

I think they are looking at building a Masters store here as well but I don’t like the self-check-out mentality these stores are adopting and if that’s all they are going to offer to their customers then we probably won’t go as Joe detests self-check outs because it does people out of a job.

I wonder if you got that ginger off Sue or Wendy? I remember once you liked a garden shot in someone’s garden that had a big ginger bush full of beautiful flowers, maybe it’s one of their plants and might be worth checking with them? Yes wouldn’t it be great if it was a new variety discovered he he as it is a very pretty flower which reminds me sort of a hibiscus flower of some sort except for the different leaf.

Yes my mums really enjoying her broms and garden and when the weather turns cold she just bring a lot of her smaller plants out of the cold weather an plays with them inside instead as she has a lot of hidden areas not exposed to the elements.

Jean great to hear your laptops back up and running properly and hope you experience no further issues.

I absolutely adored your painted, it looks wonderful you did such a great job and should be very proud of yourself especially given you also used a method you were not used to. Keep them coming as I luv checking out peoples artistic abilities.

Time to head as laptop to share with Joe tonight and dinner to prep.

Pic 1 – Vr. ‘Kiwi Cream’
Pic 2 – Vr. ‘Speckles’
Pic 3 – Vr. ‘Festralis’
Pic 4 – Vr. ‘Artisan – Tapestry’
Pic 5 – Vr. ‘Snows of Mauna Kea’

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Tascott, Australia

Hi everyone,

Trish, thanks for the info on the Vrieseas, I was wondering why mine hadn't flowered or any pups at all, where as I have a heap of Neo. pups coming through. I might have a year or two left yet. Thats a big help.

Your pictures are brilliant and especially like the 'Kiwi Cream' and 'Snows of Mauna Kea'.

I used to play a fair bit of park cricket but only fill in when they are short now, they are the
Can't Bat Can't Bowl Can Drink Cricket Club.

Nev, the old Bunnings store up here (still huge) closed and they built an even larger one when the Masters hardware opened across the road. They probably get twice as many to Bunnings,
but the Masters is still a good store, just got to get used to the different brands. Both are into everything now even whitegoods Gardening section is as good, if not better.

Jean, nice painting you did. That's a handy skill to have.

Watching the videos on youtube sure does eat up your download limit, 1 video is probably 10x the size of a photo.

Teresa, what do you feed Sugar normally?, as our dog is so bloody fussy and would only eat 1/2 his bowl of whatever we give him.

Anyway that's everything except bromeliads.

Some old pics to finish.

Brian

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Well the rain’s back with us again, and it’s rained all night and still raining as I type; not heavy, just good steady rain which will do a lot of good. At last my son and I are on the mend again and things can start to get back to normal once more.

Yesterday I finally finished the repairs to benches in the very overcrowded seedling shade house which I showed pic’s of a short time ago and which I was ashamed to admit was all caused because of me not doing as I advised others to do and that is “Cull your seedlings ruthlessly” so the remaining plants have plenty of space in which to grow.

I’m ashamed to admit that I had some seedlings there which were over eighteen inches high and still in three inch pots. This of course had caused them to topple over and grow crookedly with some even in a ninety degree shape where the pot was horizontal and the plant growing upright. The big problem though was that the leaves were all very long and spindly due to having to fight for light which made it very hard to assess the quality of the plants when culling.

The colours were obvious, but I just had to look at the base of the leaves to get an idea of their width and estimate how wide they may have been if grown under good conditions. I’ve tossed out about six green bins full in all and finally I have sufficient space to house what’s remaining. I’ve had to trim many leaves back to make the plants look anyway in proportion and they will look quite rough for a while yet, but it’s the new pups that I’m after and when they are large enough, I’ll let them grow and cut out the original Mother and start all over again, so a lot of time wasted because I didn’t do things right and couldn’t bring myself to toss out excess nice healthy little seedlings.

My next step is to clean up and re-pot what is left and then re-house them on their new benches where they will hopefully grow into nice healthy quality plants.

Jean – We got caught out with the internet allowance for the month also. When we signed up we were told we had unlimited hours per month, but found that on one occasion we had a problem when my then twelve year old grandson holidaying with us from Bali was watching You Tube a lot more than he should have been. I was using the computer to check out the various forums and it was going at about “dial-up” speed (just like the good old days), so we contacted Big Pond and was told we had used up our allocated time for the month. When I said that our plan said unlimited hours, I was told this was correct, but the unlimited hours were broken down into so many hours at the fast speed, and the remainder at much slower “dial-up” speed. I then realised I had been too quick to sign up without reading the fine print and had been a victim of “assuming”.

I can’t see myself spending too much time in this new Masters Store they are building here; it’s so massive, I’d have to take a battery operated golf buggy and a cut lunch to get around the place. Maybe they’ll do what the new Stockland’s shopping centre at Shellharbour Square has done and provide free battery operated six seated mini cabs to transport disabled people around. You can call up on the phone and they’ll pick you up and take you where you want to go and when you’re finished, pick you up and take you back to your car.

I like your painting and am interested in the method you used to do it, the only thing I find wrong with it is that it’s not a brom in the pic. Ha! Ha! …… You are indeed a lady of many skills.

Trish – My son rang last night and he’s going back to Bali tomorrow. The operation was a real success according to the surgeon although there is still a lot of swelling and bruising which will be with him for some time yet but will eventually subside with plenty of physio.

I totally agree with Joe about these self-check-outs; they are just doing someone else out of a job. They put two in at our local Bunnings and they are rarely used as the population here are very much unionised iron- worker oriented with the large industrial workforce nearby. It’s a bit of a laugh really; they’ve done away with the checkout girl/boy but still need someone standing there all day to show the occasional person how to use the check out.

Regarding the Ginger; I thought maybe I might have got it from Jen but she didn’t send any either so maybe the next step is to see if it was Sue. I’ve searched my mind and I can’t find the answer there either.

That’s a nice selection of Vrieseas you’ve posted and I especially like the nice pale lime coloured Vr. ‘Festralis’ (or should that be the species Vr. fenestralis) in the middle.

Brian – Unless you are a hybridiser, most of us don’t like to see flowers appearing on patterned foliage Vrieseas as usually the flower is pretty ordinary and it means the start of the demise of the plant. True it also means that there will be pups popping up, but then there’s the long wait until they reach maturity.

I have to agree with you about dog’s eating habits; my daughter has a dog and all he will eat is fresh chicken necks, anything else, he just sniffs it and walks away and the other young dog will gobble up the lot if she’s not watched.

You say, “Some old pics to finish”, but then it’s often good to re-visit old pic’s and great for a comparison to see how your plants are doing.

That’s all from me today and to finish with, firstly I'd like to share a picture of my Blood Lily with you. You may remember some time back when Ian was a regular before he moved away, he sent me a bulb of his precious "Blood Lily". Well at last it's flowered, and although still a small plant, it's certainly something quite eye catching.

The next four pic's are of some of the Neo seedlings I kept from "the cull" in the hope they might produce some worthwhile pups.

All the best, Nev.

hi all,

I thought I had posted but nothing there now...

anyway - Jean, I love your painting. The texture is wonderful and it has a kind of impressionist look to it.

Nev - glad to hear that your son will be ok!
Good that you are recovering well & had the opportunity to do that ruthless cull of seedlings.
Must be a tough job deciding what to keep & what to toss.

Brian - Sugar is on Nutrience Grain Free food.
I would like to try her on raw but she gets a funny tummy with the chicken wings & duck neck.
Although I gave her a duck neck still frozen on the advice of raw feeding friends & she was fine.
It was a hot day & Sugar enjoyed her ducksicle :)

Actually Miss Sugar went on an adventure yesterday - we took her to the specialist vet for her hip & elbow x-rays. First impressions were good but we have to wait for the official results. Once she has certificates to say she has no dysplasia evident she is all set to be bred.

cheers - Teresa

shellharbour, Australia

Where's everyone gone?

Teresa - That's a good tip about the frozen duck neck; I'll tell my daughter to put a few chicken necks in the freezer for treats for her dogs when it's hot.

I hope Miss Sugar gets a good report from the X-rays; then you can go looking for a suitable husband for her.

The picture today is Neo.'Midnight Moment'; the interest in this plant is that it seems to constantly change colour as it matures, much more than most other Neoregelias do.

All the best, Nev.

Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

Bit of an overcast day here today, sun is trying to peek through.

Have noticed a bit of a reduction in colour in most of the plants here, but with hot weather forecast might leave alone for a bit.

I have started reading 'How to Grow Bromeliads' by the Bromeliad Society of Australia. Not a huge book but gives an explanation and history of each type of plant.

Trish, I never thought of the self checkouts as robbing people of jobs, but you are right. That's the last time I use them.

Nev, yeh I bought a Vriesea in flower to see what they look like and like you say it's nothing to look at, unlike the Billbergias.

Teresa, good luck at the vet. Might get some more chicken necks for our dog as he seemed to like them.

Anyway have a good weekend.

Brian

Nev - I like the Neo Midnight, very pretty colour.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
I think I may have melted a few pounds off yesterday. It was so hot here after all the mild weather.
Probably nothing like you get up north, but for us down here, it was very hot.
My poor plants, even though well watered , suffered a lot , mostly the hot wind sucking the moisture from the leaves.
Doesnt bother the roses much except the flowers.
Poor things get toasted as soon as they open in the hot sun.
The broms are okay , but the mothers with large pups are starting to look their age...lol
I am thinking of just leaving the one or two pups on them and as the mother dies , I can cut her out.

Teresa, I hope Sugar gets a great report and you can then look for a nice partner for her.
Hope all is going well for you on the job front too.

Brian, thats an interesting book on broms.
I have read all the books in our library about broms and its interesting to pick up snippets of info.

Nev, I was in Mt Gambier on Wednesday and went to the big Masters store there. They have a very large garden area, but when you actually look at it closely, just all the common plants,
There was not one single brom.
I ended up in Bunnings large store over there and even though they had some lovely broms, I didnt feel inclined to buy any.
All the usual unnamed common ones, mainly vrieseas and guzmanias in flower.
I came home with 2 dwarf Daphnes, a pink & a white.

Its very cloudy here with the wind coming up again. I have just watered all the garden and hope the cloud stays around to hide the sun as its already 25C.

Time I had a cuppa , so I'll add a couple of old brom pics.

pic 1... aech Mirlo

pic 2... aech nudicaulis albo marginata

pic 3... bill Ellen

Keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

supposedly only 20C here but I just came in from mowing the lawns & sweeping the fallen flowers from the silk tree off the pavers & deck.

Not sure why I swept as by tomorrow there will be a carpet of fallen flowers again.

Oh well it's all looking tidy for now.

Jean - I like the 3 broms you have pictured.

I saw some Vrieseas at the Warehouse, all noids but a couple had nice inflorescences in colours other than yellow or orange. One had a nicely shaped paddle in a deep red/maroon. It also had some faint reddish spotting on the leaves .

I picked it up several times thinking I should buy it as it is the nicest one I've seen for sale at the Warehouse.
But ever mindful of my lack of income decided to leave it.

I spent the money on some 'job interview' clothes.

Balancing 'want' vs 'need' can be a hard call some days!

I have an interview tomorrow - job working for the supply dept of the main hospital here in ChCh...

I would have to keep track of stock levels & be responsible for re-orders & restocking.

Surprised they asked me in for the interview as I already had a letter from them telling me my application was appreciated but not going further in the recruitment process ...

I haven't heard back from the job I really want, working in an insurance company in a behind the scenes support role sounded ideal for me.

Take care all

Teresa

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I’m a bit behind with my postings so I’ll start from Saturday when I didn’t get time to post as it was out first Brom Society meeting for 2015 and what with getting plants ready and other things to do, I ran out of time.

It was a great meeting with a “full house” plus seven visitors of which six joined up as new members. The down side is that the hall we use is now getting too small and it’s difficult to find another in the area that’s suitable, so that’s a problem that has to be sorted out.

There was a great showing of plants in the “Popular Vote” section (almost like a “mini show”) and the "show and tell" from all of these plants was very informative and shows just how different cultural methods are from grower to grower.

We had a slide show of pictures taken last year of various member’s gardens and that was too very interesting and illustrated many different way of using brom’s in the garden.

Another member showed an assortment of “carnivorous brom’s” and talked on that topic also, which was all pretty new to most of us; very interesting and unusual, but not colourful like the Neo’s and other brom’s we are all familiar with.

Sunday saw me finishing off the latest round of re-potting and finally finishing the culling and re-potting in (what was) previously a very over-crowded shade house. Now you can actually see daylight between the plants.

This now brings me to today and I expect if the weather stays favourable, I’ll continue on with, and try and finish the dead-leafing I previously started in the main Neo shade house.

Brian – That book you speak of is a great little book which explains everything in “simple talk” and covers all the important aspects of growing brom’s. There is another booklet (a bit smaller) which was put out by one of the Queensland societies and put together by Lyn Hudson. It is quite inexpensive and a wealth of information for all growers. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the name, but it’s available through most brom societies. These small books may not be full of beautiful colour pictures like the more expensive ones are, but they do accurately provide worthwhile information for growers, especially those new to the hobby.

I would also mention at this stage that there are many other wonderful books on brom’s available, but beware; these are often from overseas countries and refer to growing conditions and seasons within those countries which can lead to confusion with the Australian grower new to the hobby.

Teresa – That picture of Neo. ‘Midnight Moment’ was taken when it was just starting to colour up. Prior to that it's just a “nothing looking plant”, green in colour with a bit of insipid spotting.

I’m attaching another pic today of the same plant at anthesis (when it was flowering) and the foliage had reached full colour.

You say, “Balancing 'want' vs 'need' can be a hard call some days”, but be that as it may, it’s still the right way to go. It’s always best to prioritise things even though the top of the priority doesn’t always fit in with what you would like. I was once told to approach these decisions using the following reasoning, “it’s not what you want, it’s what you can do without”. Just remember, there’ll always be bigger and better bromeliads coming along for you to buy when you can afford it.

You say you’re surprised you have been asked in for an interview; maybe you have an unknown supporter who has put in a good word for you in the right ear?

Jean – It was stinking hot here yesterday as well, and to top it all off, dinner had just been put on the stove and we had a black out!

When my wife rang the provider to find out how long the outage may be, she got a recorded message saying they were experiencing a “heavier than usual amount of phone enquiries and ring back in an hour, or check out the web site for further information”. Is there something I’m not aware of because I thought most computer owners would be like me where their computers relied on electricity. On the other hand there’s probably some new gizmo that doesn’t need electricity and is run through one of these Smart Phone things?????

Jean I’ve found that the old Mother plants with large pups are better just cut off at their base. This doesn’t disturb the pups and gives them more room to grow and also encourages them to put out their own roots if they haven’t already done so.

Most of the brom’s sold in these large stores (in the southern areas anyway) are usually the “mass produced” Vrieseas and Guzmanias. The thing is they aren’t aimed at the brom collector, they are aimed at the customer who just wants some colour in the house. They are in fact a replacement for a bunch of flowers, and as they are cheaper and last longer, more people are buying them for this purpose; in other words, “throw away brom’s”. When the flowers die, they are tossed in the bin and a new plant is purchased.

That’s an interesting cross section of pic’s you’ve posted. Ae ‘Mirlo’ is always an “eye catcher” (even when not in flower) with its beautiful dark glossy foliage and it contrasts beautifully with your albo-marginated Ae. nudicaulis.

Your third plant Bill ‘Ellen’, was first bred way back in 1983 and is what I would term an “oldie” but still a “goodie”, it’s one of those all-time favourites that just doesn’t seem to age and still holds its own with the newer hybrids.

Time to go and I’ll finish with another picture of Neo.’Midnight Moment’, this time just post flowering.

All the best, Nev

love the colour changes that broms go through but I can see why people get confused over what plant they have...

Nev - I can't help wondering if the people called in for interviews didn't make the grade & they've gone down the list of applicants for the next highest scoring candidates.

Anyway it was nice to have the opportunity & put on my "interview clothes" and put on my happy face & rocked along to the Supply Centre.

I had a brain wave & had lunch with my parents first - they live in the area & my step dad drove me down there as the weather changed - from 25C to 13C with ferocious wind & rain showers within the space of half an hour.

take care all - Teresa
ps I should hear back about the job by mid next week.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I’ve done it again; just typed a post and lost it! As there was only one post from Teresa today I thought I’d just type mine directly onto DG without cutting and pasting like I usually do and next thing I know it’s gone.

Anyway I’ll start again, this time in MS Word. The weather here yesterday was fine and cool and I got a fair bit of “dead leafing” in the Neo shade house finished. I just had one bench to go and it started with fine showers, so that put an end to that and hopefully I can finish the job today.

Teresa - I agree with you when you say, “I can see why people get confused over what plant they have”. Brom’s are continually changing in appearance while they are maturing and it’s rare that a plant appears exactly the same as the one appearing in a picture. Apart from the maturity of the plant, there are also other variables; the most important being the amount of light the plant was grown in, and this can greatly alter the colour and shape of any plant.

There have been many new growers who have seen a picture of a nicely coloured plant in a book and decide “they have to have one”. After looking through various price lists they finally locate a pup for sale and decide to order it via mail order.

When it arrives they are totally disappointed as they un-wrap the pup to find that it is plain green in colour, and nothing like the beautifully coloured plant they saw in the photograph. Sometimes sellers will advertise with pic’s of a mature plant as well as picture of the (for sale) uncoloured pup, so that you know exactly what you are getting, but more often than not the picture depicts a fully coloured plant.

The thing is that as we get more and more into growing brom’s we find that they are forever changing in colour as they mature and that very often the plant we buy looks nothing like the plant we saw a picture of in its mature state.

I hope you get a positive result from your job interview; who knows it may only be next week when you are telling us all that you got the job. I only have one question and that is what is "Miss Sugar" going to do with you at work all day, hopefully she doesn’t get up to mischief and start wrecking things.

Time to go, and just one picture today of one of the gardens we visited on a tour of members’ gardens a while back. It’s surprising what you learn on these visits, especially about improvisation.

Enlarge this pic and look closely and you will see a couple of old fan blade covers, which have been put to good use accommodating Tillandsia plants.

All the best, Nev.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.