2015: May it be healthy and fulfilling!!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Ken, glad you got some work done. It seems like it's easy to get things done when the weather is so good, doesn't it. And we don't get many of those this time of the year!

Charlotte, I did see the Glenn Campbell special that included that song and interviews with his family. I thought I understood he was in a nursing home now but wasn't sure. His family really took care of him as long as they could, and it was so sweet that his daughter toured with him too. It's so sad, he is a wonderful singer and will be missed. I know you're doing your best with Richard too. The tests are just indicators and some people need them to confirm things for them; you know best what Richard's needs are right now.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Another beautiful day with sunshine! I agree Elaine you can get so much more done when the weather is nice. I'm just not a cold weather person! I've got to make soap again today however. I sold a ton of soap during Dec and now I've got to get my stock replenished. I have it set up in the workshop so I work on it as I have time.

Trish good to see you posting again.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I hadn't realized that Glenn Campbell was struggling with Alzheimer. I must have missed the tour he made and all the publicity that accompanied this. I'm so OCD that I would want to know where I was at and what to expect next so I could make arrangements to accomodate that stage. My poor uncle is at the stage where he forgets to breathe. I can't imagine this stage lasting long but his has. TG!!!

I have to go back to the dentist. I sure hope this week is not as long as last week. My jaw and ear are just now feeling better. How are you fairing Elaine?

Just got back from the dentist and found I hadn't sent my post earlier!!! LOL!! Well things went well and Mary & I have just been running errands.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri even if you were told you have Alzheimer's, you wouldn't understand about the stages as you progress. I was looking at an interview with Glenn Campbell and his wife. The reporter made some comment about Alzheimer's and Glenn said do we have that? His wife said we don't you do. He just seemed totally mystified and sort of shook his head. The other day Richard said I think I may have dementia!!! DUH

Got my soap made then decided to tackle the linen closet. I keep putting it off. I don't even use it it's so bad. One thing I discovered I don't need to buy any more blankets for a long time! I have a big stack of sheets for Goodwill and another big stack to top sheets to use to cover furniture after I finish painting. Don't need any more foot soaking ..massaging machines! Found 3! I have started just washing and putting back on the same sheets so I don't need tons of sheets. I have 4 different sizes of bed. I have a Olympic queen, a regular queen, a double and twins. So I have 4 different sizes of sheets. Obviously you can tell a twin sheet. But it's harder to figure out the other sizes and they don't all put the sizes on the tags. I tend to always buy beige or off white so I can't remember which sheet is what. I discovered I need to start writing what size sheet it is on the tag or somewhere.

Also got all the leaves out of my flower beds in front. Some guys have been working at several houses on the street. They have 2 guys that use really high powered blowers and then they have a huge trailer covered in netting and it has a really huge vacuum mounted at the rear of it. The hose is as big around as a kid. The guy that operates it has to put it over his shoulder and neck. They were sucking those leaves up like crazy. I decided to have them blow out my beds and get rid of the leaves. It didn't take them 10 minutes! I have a blower with a vacuum but it would have taken me much much longer plus the hassle of getting it all out and putting it all back. Now I need to do some clean up of plants and put some Preen and mulch down before the weeds take over totally again.

Jeri glad things went ok at the dentist.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I didn't mean that I wanted to know the stages for me but for who ever I'm taking care of. I did a CPR course a few years ago for infants, children & adults. I personally deal better when I, at least feel like I'm in control and I know that is insane with this illness.

That was a major time saver for you finding those men to clean out the leaves. I wish we were closer and they would come dump them in my compost pile.

The dentist was just a breeze this trip. They were just checking the post. The fun will be in April when they put the implant on the post.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Jeri, the dentist won't be putting an implant on the post.

Ken

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri there are lots of sources that give really good information on the various stages of Alzheimers. I have a good idea of where he is by that. It also gives me a good idea of what to expect as he progresses. I have bought several books and there are a number of sources on the internet. Some of the books I've bought are written by people that have gone through the experience with a family member. For example one of them talked about having problems with her husband going out the front door which was creating a lot of problems. Her solution was to have a lock installed up high and then when he would try to go out he just thought the handle was broken. It didn't occur to him to look up high. You have to be creative. I learn a lot about how to deal with things just by reading how others have dealt with various situations.

One thing that bothered me was him smoking. I tried to get him to keep his cigarettes and lighter on a table by the back door. He always goes outside to smoke. That didn't work at all. It really upset him. I learned if I just leave him alone he smokes very very little! He just likes having those things. Most days he only smokes 1 cigarette and some days he doesn't smoke all day. He forgets to smoke! But as long as he has them he's happy. At some point I hope I can do away with them or at least be able to hide the lighters.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Ken I thought my dentist put my implant on a post??? I know he drilled a hole in my jawbone and then put a metal post in it. I had to wait several months for him to make sure the bone was going to grow around the metal post. So if it doesn't go on the post what does it go on???

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

No, the implant is what is placed into the jaw bone. The implant can be one piece (implant + post or two pieces, implant and then the post). If it is two pieces, the implant is done first and then several months later the post is screwed or cemented into the implant body. Whether one piece or two pieces, the final action is putting a crown onto that post.

Can you tell I have done all this numerous times?...............LOL

Ken

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well I'm sure that's what they did for mine. It's only been 25 or so years ago ! I just remember them drilling the hole and my having to wait before they put the crown on. Guess I never really understood exactly what they were doing. I know at the time not a lot of dentist did them. My dentist referred me to another dentist with a fancy title I couldn't begin to remember. It was somewhat of an ordeal at the time but I'm sure glad I had it done. I've never had any problem with it.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Twenty-five years ago, they would have ALWAYS done it in 2 or 3 separate steps. Nowadays, it can all be done in 1 or 2 steps, though the 3-step technique is still used.

Ken, DDS, FAGD

Hi Jeri, thanks for asking. My root canal soreness is pretty much gone. It was sore for a few days, which he told me to expect, but I just took some Advil. Then I remembered I had some Zipsor (anti-inflammatory) which I take now and then for my knee before I run, so I took one of those in the mornings this weekend, and it helped the tooth too. But I don't take those two at the same time and not taking anything now.

My SIL had a bone graft and implants done about a year ago. She said it really wasn't as bad or as painful as she thought it was going to be.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Dentistry and medicine have come a long way in reducing pain and inflammation after surgery.

Ken

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I think mine was probably a three step procedure. I can still remember the chair I sat in. It was totally reclined. I know it was at least 25 years ago and could have been more than that. I do remember that the procedure was very new at the time. I had never heard of it before. My dentist recommended the procedure instead of a bridge to replace the one tooth.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Good dentist, good recommendation, and good choice. Implants can/will last a lifetime without the possibility of decay. I have a couple of them and they feel/function just like any other "real" tooth.

Ken

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yep's Yall!!! I meant cap on post(post is implant). Sorry I was tired last night.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yall the procedure was long but not uncomfortable. My problem is leaving my jaw open that long

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Yep, that would be my problem too. Heck, my jaws get tired just having my teeth cleaned.

I don't get tired anymore, Jeri. The solution to that is.................retirement!......LOL

Well, I do get tired doing lawn/landscape/garden work. It seems in the summer time I work for 30 minutes and rest for 15. I hardly ever get anything done, at least not quickly.

Ken

Ripley, MS

Ken, you are using my plan ! Work 10-rest 20 !!!
I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and I think Holly must have had a bad morning, I started to tell her my mouth was not made of rubber ! Seemed she was stretching it way too rough !!
Glad it is over with no visit to the doc coming up, I am a scardy cat !

Yes, that was the tiring part. And I can take a shot all day long, but the high-freq drill sets me off. I bring ear plugs. Yes, they always kid me about that but it works. My regular dentist sent me to an endodontist, a young man who had bought the practice of a now-retired guy who did my first root-canal several years back. I have had cleanings that were worse than the first one (upper molar). No joke. This was a lower molar and was sore more afterward, plus my tmj bothered me a little, but he inserted a bite thingy that helped, plus gave me a break about halfway thru.

Ken, it's called A-G-E! I used to be able to work all day outside. Not anymore.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

No, it is O-L-D-A-G-E! LOL

Oooooo...Ken! Thanks for the correction, LOL!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I like the work plan! Right now I'm "looking" at my front beds "planning" what I'm going to do first! LOL

I noticed on FB that Dianne at Garden Oy Vey said they are going to have to let a big part of their personal garden go at some point. Can't keep it up any longer.

I'm just the opposite Elaine. I hate getting shots in my mouth but the drill doesn't bother me. I noticed when I was scheduling my next hair cut today that I get my teeth cleaned in 5 weeks.

Yes Ken there is a big difference between a good dentist and a bad dentist. I had always had very good dentist until I moved years ago and had to change dentist. The first one I went to was horrible. He didn't know what he was doing. It didn't take me long to figure that out and find (through recommendations) a good one. I went to him until he retired a few years ago. He knew me so well that one time he started working on my tooth and all the stuff he had on the tray didn't look like the normal stuff. I asked what he was doing and he said I'm getting ready to do a root canal! I said wait a minute! We need to talk about this. He said - do you want the tooth? I said yes - he said I thought so and continued on with the root canal! It was a piece of cake - didn't hurt at all. I was actually terrified to have another root canal as I had had one when I was just in my early twenties and it was horrible!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I can't believe this is January!!! It has been gorgeous all week. I took Richard out in his transfer chair this afternoon. I pushed his most of the way across the Big Dam bridge. It's a walking/bicycle bridge that goes across the Arkansas River. I discovered it's not easy pushing that thing up hill! What a work out. I think I need to adjust the brakes some.

Then I decided to do a little work in one of my front beds. I need to pull as much vinca as I can out of it before the plants start growing. I didn't plant it - it was already here 32 years ago and I've been pulling it up every since! I discovered things are really starting to grow already. My daffodils are up several inches. Some already have buds on them. My dormant day lilies are pushing up. Just hope we don't get really cold weather after they get too much growth.

Sandra when can I cut my roses back?? I'm getting in a pruning mood! I need to cut back the crape myrtle by the sun room and want to thin some branches out of the one in front of the house. I think I'm going to do that in a week or two.

I'm going to try to get my front beds looking a lot better than they did last year.

Asus did repair my broken lap top without charge. Got it back today. They put a new top on it. The note said the operating software was unstable and they reloaded it. So I've got to reload everything on it. Just like a brand new computer. I think the damage to the screen caused problems with the software. If I get two laptops, ipad and iphone all synced it will be a miracle!!!! I haven't lost anything but finding where it is can be challenging!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I feel absolutely guilty, we had such a nice day. 71 degrees in Jan.? I do my roses in Nov. & Feb.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Geez looks like all of you are busy busy. Ken love the flower pics. Charlotte I have some daffs coming up as well. That is just exciting to see anything out there. I'm not sure how much spring gardening I'll be able to do but hopefully enough to enjoy the season.

As most of you probably know I am 3.5 weeks into a broken arm so typing has been a trial but I have got it down to a science now. Just have to learn to type a bit differently:) The arm thing has meant I haven't gotten to do much of anything unless you consider sitting around with ice on your arm after work 'doing' something.

I did manage to take a very few photos last weekend. First one is of the seed head on an ornamental grass, then a reflection shot of a planter and the trees in my pond. and finally the grands were all over for family game night and constructed this teepee with minimal help from their fathers - interesting to see them working together on it. And the last one is of course the xray PROVING that I'm now a bionic woman:)

Hope all of you are avoiding the flu and are getting ready for spring!

Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy
St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

My gaura is already coming up, as well as stokesia and new tiny leaves on gaillardia. But, it's 38 degrees right now, and I have no doubt February will bring at least a little more cold, so no idea whether it will stand up to the next month or not.

Well, some of y'all are having a lot nicer weather than we are, lol! We've had a couple of days where it got to the mid-50's (yesterday) but not for very long. And it's been windy so it sure didn't feel very warm. Sunday morning was pretty but then it got cloudy and started to rain around 3. I heard it was around 80 or something in Oklahoma yesterday. Geez and the NE was getting walloped with snow. We are so lucky we didn't have that!

Charlotte, I don't know if I'd cut back anything yet, even though it's warm still. I usually wait until the leaves start to come out on anything before I cut back. Same for the crepe myrtles. Sandra will probably know more about the roses than I do, but about the only thing I cut back now is butterfly bush. Of course it's hard to kill a crepe myrtle but I'm always afraid we'll get a deep freeze and it will kill something.

Karen, your photos are always so pretty. Well, except that last one!! Not so pretty, but glad you are mending.

I've ordered my tomato and some flower seeds from Baker so I'm ready to get them started but it's still a little early.

Ripley, MS

Charlotte, I heard a rose expert talking about pruning, they said if you don't have the pruning done by Valentines Day to leave them alone for our area. I am in no way an expert on roses, but do remember that bit of info!

Cindy still doesn't have Internet at home is why we are not seeing her post, she is working on furniture to stay busy.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I can't believe we're having such pretty weather and the east having such a terrible snow storm. Elaine you must be getting some of that weather. I just checked the 10 day forecast and the lowest it's going to be during the day is 41. A couple of nights it's supposed to be 25 but above freezing most of the other time. I think I'm going to go ahead and prune my roses. It will make it a lot easier to clean my beds. Getting all the leaves cleaned out of my beds really helped and has motivated me to get the rest of it cleaned up.

Yesterday there were tons of people out walking and riding bikes. It was short sleeve shirt and shorts weather. I had on a long sleeve cotton pull over sweater and was sweating by the time I got back to the car!

I enjoyed your pictures Karen.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My daffodils look like this all over my yard. I guess the other thing is a hyacinth.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue

I always do roses before Valentine's day too. I cut back about 2/3's of the bush for most roses, and just a clean up for climbers. Then again, I cut back about 1/3 of the bush in August, to prune away the summer's damage, and get it ready for a new fall flush.

But I don't cut Butterfly Bush (Buddleia) until the new leaves start coming out in spring. I think the cut stems are more easily damaged by cold than the uncut ones.

I have a whole herd of goldfinch on my crepe myrtles. They are eating the little seeds out of the seed heads. I've never seen this before. Anyone else?

Ripley, MS

The birds always get my crepe myrtle seeds, I have seen the birds feasting on them, but never a whole "herd" of them at once.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I had a whole "herd" of some type bird on several shrubs in my front yard and the neighbors across the street a couple of years ago. So many it was scary. They totally stripped all the berries in an hour or so then left after pooping all over the stone in my back yard. Never seen anything like it. I've never had another "herd" like that again and hope I don't!

Well I have never noticed them on the crepe myrtles before, but there was a bunch of them. Even Roxy sat here and watched them. She is also our squirrel alert dog. The others couldn't care less about squirrels in the yard, but Roxy is on patrol all day. Sometimes she just sits and watches them, and then will tear out across the yard and send them scattering. Wonder what she could do if she actually caught one. She only weighs 9 pounds, they are almost as big as she is.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Mine are in my holly tree. They come every year and totally strip every berry from the branches. I always thought it amazing!! We also have a herd of black birds each spring that feed off the grass between my sister's house and mine. They completely cover the field. Again amazing!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Sandra!!!!

I've had cedar waxwings in the wax myrtles, eating berries, but nothing in the holly trees as of yet. Dahoon holly is full of berries in my yard now. I will have to keep my eye out for birds in them.

Ripley, MS

Thanks, Charlotte , I have had a good day

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.