weather in the garden # 138

Natick, MA

Jan, wish I could send you some of OUR snow :o)
We have plenty!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Robindog, Thanks for caring, but we are keen campy campers. Wood stove kept us warm enough and we cooked on it so we were well fed. I made a big pot of Portuguese Kale soup for the storm and a mess of White chocolate macadamia cookies. Kale/potatoes/carrots from garden on Monday. Sauce and slow roasted tomatoes from pantry as well as Smoked Turkey stock. It was yummy. Today the sun came out and GH got up to over 70 while wood stove was keeping kitchen and family room at 63, so we opened the doors and let the passive heat in. Winds took out some very large branches on pine and cedars, but DH got out today with the chainsaw to clear the driveway, while I cleaned the snow off the GH windows. We won't know how much damage we have until snow is off the branches. We finally got power on at 3 today so we are all good now. Town has some water damage to the docks and low lying streets. DH and a storm refuge friend who moved into our house went out to check on many friend's houses and to cheock on some pets whose owners were stuck in Hyannis on Monday for Medical reasons and couldn't get back. Dogs and cats at several houses all OK and owners relieved to be back today.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
South Hamilton, MA

wonderful to see to the pets. We are all glad that you are ok.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for sharing your bounty, Natick!

Glad to hear, bbrookrd, that you made out okay. Hooray for the wood stove!

South Hamilton, MA

The temperature is now up to 31°. bright sun snow predicted tomorrow. We don't need more. DH is on the phone to the garage where we have work done, as the car has decided not to tart. Ho hum, winter in New England.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sorry for the late entry - buried under snow.

Pepperell had over 30" - and got some much needed exercise - snow blower threw the auger belt, had the driveway part done although not in front of the garage so out with the shovel - pretty big area 60'x50' and only one way to move it - from the garage doors to the rock wall by the bball hoop which meant shoveling half the snow 2 or 3 times over before it was off.

have the new belt to put on for tomorrow's 2" to 4"

Can not wait to x-country ski this weekend

South Hamilton, MA

More apt to be snowshoe time.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Glad everyone seems to be managing.

Snow removal trucks are hard at work in all the commercial lots. We feel like following them to see where they go since they can't dump into the ocean.

As much as six more inches might come along tomorrow. We'll see what that means!

Almost anything is tolerable as long as there's enough heat and some grub.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, That is a huge area that you got to hand dig. Double digging snow sounds horrible. Some of our tree damage. Haven't looked in a great deal of the garden yet, too painful. No one needs more snow this week. I agree with RosemaryK about where to dump all the snow. Our garbage truck guy got stuck in our drive today and had to get a bulldozer to pull him out. We have had no trouble once the downed tree was removed. DH kept ahead of it by just going out and driving up and down the drive as needed (Nantucket Snowplow)

Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Thomaston, CT

So happy to hear everyone came through the storm OK....the plants can be replanted, but you need to be around to do it! The border collies look like they are loving the snow, just like my Nicki... Bill, that was a lot of shoveling.....I'm hoping the plow person comes today.....there's a fresh 3" in the drive, & it's still snowing....Lucy, awful about the car....they always pick the worst time to conk out!

South Hamilton, MA

The guy claims battery good for 6 years. We will see. 34° & our predicted 6" of snow is falling with gusto.

Thomaston, CT

Ended up with 3" here, but the nasty wind has been blowing snow all over the place....it was zero here at 7am.....froze just going to the paper box!

South Hamilton, MA

only about 1" of snow, more expected on Mon. 10° & high winds.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

replaced the auger belt today - why do they make it so hard to get at these belts when they need to be replaced often.

good x-county skying tomorrow - today was trail blazing.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

31 and snowing. calling for 12-18" by tomorrow. DH plowed out the drive for now. did the neighbor's too and we found some homemade soup on our porch as a thank you :)

South Hamilton, MA

keep all the snow please.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Our neighbor gifted us with Jordan March recipee blueberry muffins, which is not something I'd feel I had the time to make.

Now that the new storm is here, snow is falling fal but it is light. Predicted to be maybe another eight or more inches. Only schools are closed, so courts and all govt offices are open. Here I go...

Thomaston, CT

Snowing here, but not as heavily as earlier this morning....supposed to switch to a mix soon, then back to snow.....I'm staying in, stay safe if you have to go out! Bill, I wish you had packed down the walking trail I use....snow was too deep for me to walk more than a 1/4 mile yesterday.....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Snow has turned to freezing rain mixed with snow. They closed my office at 3 pm. A typically fifteen minute drive took over an hour not counting preparing the car. Definitely not a night to go out unless necessary.

I passed some kids trying to cross country ski. They couldn't hack it as the snow was sticky and kept stopping them. If it slicks down into ice trails and fluffy cover it could be a lot of fun.

South Hamilton, MA

Luckily it is not mixed with rain here, just snow. We are supposed have a foot in total.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Another rain event here. A dusting last night then rain.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

We got lots of snow and ice.Cannot see my front lawn just my sheppard"s hook.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

all we got was snow, none of the mix that was south of us.

South Hamilton, MA

plain snow here also. 13" more of it

Tried to capture the icy on the holly bush.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Whew!!! Stay warm.

I trying , will keep my self busy by planning my seed sowing.lol

Wish I could be here now.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, yeah!!

South Hamilton, MA

35° at the moment. I saw a deer in the deep snow at the rear of our old pasture this afternoon. The wing had blown a hollow around the cedar tree, but still a great deal of snow there. Perhaps it would try & reach into the tree.

Thomaston, CT

Last storm dumped a foot of new snow.....on top of the foot already there.....snowing with large, lazy flakes now, but at least another inch has fallen.....enough already!

South Hamilton, MA

32° started as rain, now turned to snow. predicted 1-3".

Thomaston, CT

Ended up with only another inch....zero on the thermometer at 7:30 this morning....this winter is getting old, fast!

South Hamilton, MA

10° sun More snow coming over the weekend.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hang in there all! This week as I was driving over the cold overpasses I was remembering how in some states they post a sign: " Ice freezes on bridges berfore roads." Massachusetts historically has a low budget for road signs. I wonder if that is why so many drivers haven't learned this simple physics lesson.

We've got at least another six inches of snow over several days coming starting around Saturday night.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, snow here as well, not sure how much....one station is saying 4-8", another is saying 8-10"....really don't need or want another flake.....my drive is an icy mess, too dangerous to walk on.....salt works until the night when it freezes over once more........

South Hamilton, MA

27° We are in the 10-14" range for this storm. I think we are short on bird seed, but after doing other errands this morning, DH is not inclined to go out again. Valentines for grandchildren on the west coast are in the mailbox for this afternoon's pick up. I didn't want to wait until Wed to mail them.

Thomaston, CT

I mailed my FL & NY ones yesterday....grandkids live only 40 min. away from me, so theirs will be mailed out on Tues. if the snow has stopped by then! Snowing lightly right now, will become heavy this afternoon.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the reminder to send valentines. I bought DD2 a cute sleep mask with sleeping eyes embroidered and rhinestones and lace.

Just a couple of inches of snow fell overnight, but it is still snowing. The tall evergreen trees are pretty with all their snow, but I do usually shake them a bit.

South Hamilton, MA

27° light snow, but getting more than it looks when falling. Did not get out for the sunday papers so it fell overnight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.