Dahlias: Looking forward to spring - Part I

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've done threads on phony colors shown on stock photos of lilies. Here are a few. They do what it takes to sell plants.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Mentor, OH

Many of the dahlias on web sites like Breck's and KVB look like air-brushed photos or paintings. There's no real gloss or shine to the picture. Very phony looking.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

I started with 650 but a lot died of rain and *ugh* grubs. A lot of those were replacements for loss planted in pots.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sheesh Pirl, a lot of those photos make the plant look less desirable than reality. I just think that it's 'cheating' when companies do that and I'm in no way suggesting that some of our favorite dahlia websites are doing that. I just like to get a second opinion when color really matters.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

It isn't our 'favorites' that are doing it. It is just that occasionally we are looking for a specific plant and one of the 'others' pops up having it. Or something like that. I think that most of us stay with the tried and true vendors we trust.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I hear you. It's just all the novice/beginner gardeners that I feel bad for. Oh well, I was there before too I guess.

My point was that I'd never have bought those lilies if the colors were correctly portrayed...and (like everyone else) I also paid for shipping and that makes it even more annoying.

I do try to investigate every dahlia now and stopped buying lilies.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I got about 15 lilies this past fall and I hope they are going to be true to color. I guess we'll see.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I think a lot of sites use color enhanced photos, because the color doesn't always come across as vibrant in the photos, as they are in real life. I have that issue with certain colors. I am not sure that it is meant to misrepresent the color in all cases, but I do understand the frustration of not getting what you expect, from the pictures. Have you contacted the vendor with those concerns? If a bloom is truly the wrong color I would file a complaint and ask for a replacement or a refund. Most reputable vendors will try to work to give you some satisfaction.

Good question. I only have done that when it is obviously the wrong plant. When it is just a matter of a slight color difference, I don't bother. Oh, and I received a plant that was obviously the correct plant by color but the form was way off. I contacted the vendor and they said "Oh the first few blooms look like that but later it will bloom correctly." We are talking the difference between a fully decorative form and one of those that looks like a daisy with five petals. If the tuber makes it to spring, and blooms again it should be interesting.

Thanks, Nanny. I did complain and got a full refund on Trebbiano (the supposed "light green" lily) and for the others I simply don't buy from the company anymore. All of the lilies I ordered from the Lily Nook in Canada, were true to description and true to color.

I considered the colors to be so far off from the truth that I felt "phony" was the only description that fit.

Waiting until the next bloom or blooms, seldom works for me. I am not young enough to think I have another 20 years to wait for the right form, color, etc.

Happy 2015 to all and may it be a very healthy one for all.

Well, it is alllllmmmooost 2015, so figured a fresh new thread was in order.

Here tis

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1383748/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.