Your Neck of the Woods part 13 BRrrrrrrrrr!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jan--You are correct....All our ancestors were immigrants of one kind or another.

The only native Americans are/were the Indians, and if this is correct--
(Sally please check this out) even theA merican Indians are descendants of
native Eskimos and Mongols that, over the centuries, made their way down
to the Americas and settled in the more temperate areas along the coast.

I am not a book reader--but I own a big tome, the size of a phone book, called

"Funk and Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore,Mythology, and Legend."
1984-(1st paperback) 1972---1950---1949--by Harper and Row publishers, Inc.
ISBN 0-06250511-4 (paperback)

It is a most complete reference book to everything--even peoples and lands and customs
one has never heard of.
I was able to obtain this Book through a friend's connection with a source at a University
back in 1988. I got it from Amazon.

I have another Tome which is just as amazing. It has to do with all peoples in the Worlds--
past, present, and extinct. It analyzes all languages, customs,and geography of where
who came from. Lots, lots more.....

This book is called: "The Cambridge Encyclopedia Of Language" by David Crystal--
Cambridge University Press---1987
ISBN 0-521-26438-3 (hardback)
ISBN 0-521-42443-7 (paperback)

Wonder id anyone could still get their hands on these ...anywhere....

Digression--#2. Just bear with me--I get something in my head--and have to share.

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Prior to 1921 immigration to the US was essentially unrestricted. Arrive, pass physical, get let in, so most of our ancestors did not face the issue of being "legal". Doing research for my sister by reading the Alexandria Gazette from 1800 to 1810 I found letters to the editor decrying the influx of immigrants, so this issue is nothing new. Each new wave of a different nationality/ethnicity was subjected to prejudice and resentment, then their descendants follow the tradition and resent the next group.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Amazon has the language book you mention in hardback starting at $0.35 plus shipping in very good condition.

There is a site called FetchBook.info where you can search by title, author or ISBN and it will show you the various places where it is available and the price.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It was in the "main" love story in South Pacific, too... Nelly left her Frenchman after meeting his two children and discovering he'd had a "native" wife. Emeil is with Lt. Cable when he explains about prejudice...

It's running through my head, so I'll let the lyrics run on out my fingertips.. As I recall reading, Rogers & Hammerstein considered this to the THE central number in the musical and flatly refused to remove it from the performance despite strong pressure from various sources.

"You've got to be taught
to hate and fear...
You've got to be taught
from year to year...
It's got to be drummed
in your dear little ear.
You've got to be carefully taught!

You've got to be taught
to be afraid
of people whose eyes are oddly made...
and people whose skin is a different shade
You've got to be carefully taught!

You've got to be taught
before it's too late!
Before you are 6, or 7, or 8...
To hate all the people your relatives hate.
You've got to be carefully taught...
You've got to be carefully taught!"

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah, entertainment, it offer a reprieve from the daily grind, the music and stories levy us to a higher plane. Gone are the mundane and suspicions. Hard to stew in the racist sub-plot when paying a visit to "Bali Hai" .
It's very funny how we were raised and how it differs from our later generations. I was taught that niggardly was a self inflicted role in life that had no bounds of race or creed. I've never needed an apology for my beliefs nor ever expect to offer one. The anti-paptist sediments I've heard concern me, and they have existed since the 18th and 19th centuries.
The commonality that prevents ethnic cleansing in this country and led to the civil rights bills is that I believe our melting pot has brought us together as a brotherhood sharing brotherly love and a common goal of a better life. A better life not only for our children, but for everyone.
Since 9/11 our tolerance of Muslims would not show this. But there have always been extremist. There were even Irish extremist that thought we would ally with Fascist Germany to destroy England during WWII. There were Protestant extremist that thought the influx of Irish Paptist should be crushed. The Christian movement to exterminate the native American savage. Last but not the least the fight (which in my opinion still rages) for Afro-Americans and women for equality.
We have had success in dealing with many issue and I hope we continue to do so.
"perchance to dream"
William Shakespeare
(extract, Hamlet (III, i, 65-68)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

To continue a bit.....

After we fled out homeland (Latvia) in 1944 to escape the inevitable Soviet take-over
once again--we ended up in Germany for the next 7 years as DP's (Displaced Persons).
Germany absorbed the tens of thousands that had fled their countries, but after about 7 years--everyone had to settle somewhere. The USA was one of the main countries that took
these people in, but many ended up in other large countries all over the FREE world.

We had no jobs as DP's--and no money to speak of. Different nationalities grouped with
"Their Own" as far as the schools we attended--same as we did after arriving in the USA.
It was our "security blanket"--to be with our own people an be able to speak only
your own language, as NO ONE ever knew if we would ever return to our homes.
Learning English came hard to the older Folks.

This still goes on--as immigrants from many countriescome here, group and stay together.
Extended families lived together, children played together, elders worked in
multilingual factories where very little English was spoken and never learn it..
I mention this because that is why so many older people never really
learned to speak English. They stayed enveloped into their own kind and cultures
and shared all their money and cooking and raising of children.

My MOM was one of these.
She was an educated teacher, yet she spent all her years working piece-work
in a Factory that made men's suits downtown.

My husband's father was a Doctor--and he lived out his days working in a Steel Mill
in Seattle until he retired. Then he died a year later of a heart attack.
He never got to meet his first Granddaughter--my daughter, Aina.

SO-now we still have the Hispanics who do not speak English--the Chinese and the
people from the Mid Eastern Countries. Like my Pakistani neighbor.
She does nor work outside the home--they do not speak English inside the home,
she does not drive--but she DOES garden.
I believe most of the English she has learned is because I am her neighbor.
I have patience with people like her. many times I have to help customers who barely
speak English--BUT--I UNDERSTAND..and I am VERY patient with them.

I KNOW that immigrants have never had it easy--but this has hardened us all to survive,
do the best we can, to lead an honest life, work hard, and still have a life,
get some higher education jobs, and make a decent life for their families.
Was that NOT the "American Dream" of the early immigrants after WW-1?

Today---
WHO does all the hard manual jobs here now? WHO spend days working in sweltering
temperatures? Who build all the roads and bridges? Who dig all the ditches?
NOT the American workers! And then they bitch about not being able to get a job!

It is the immigrant Hispanics who do it all, and yet we look down on them as
some kind of secondary people. I SO respect them for what they all do!
Most of them work these jobs so they can send their hard-earned money back
"home" to their families so they can have a better life.

OK! I will get off my soap-box now... g.

Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

My favorite quote on the topic of immigration is from Benjamin Franklin, talking about the influx of German immigrants to Pennsylvania:

"Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion."

Germans weren't white enough for Benjamin Franklin! :D

As an immigrant, I find this absolutely hilarious!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from Gitagal :

I KNOW that immigrants have never had it easy--but this has hardened us all to survive,
do the best we can, to lead an honest life, work hard, and still have a life,
get some higher education jobs, and make a decent life for their families.
Was that NOT the "American Dream" of the early immigrants after WW-1?

Today---
WHO does all the hard manual jobs here now? WHO spend days working in sweltering
temperatures? Who build all the roads and bridges? Who dig all the ditches?
NOT the American workers! And then they bitch about not being able to get a job!

It is the immigrant Hispanics who do it all, and yet we look down on them as
some kind of secondary people. I SO respect them for what they all do!
Most of them work these jobs so they can send their hard-earned money back
"home" to their families so they can have a better life.

G,

You make a good point but you are only talking about the ones who actually WANT to work hard and make a decent life for themselves...the proverbial American Dream. However I'm not sure what you describe is the American Dream anymore. It seems that the American Dream is now to sit around an do nothing all day while big government saps the life out of the middle class, small business owners, and others to pay for the insurance and other hand outs for these new American Dreamers. I whole heartedly applaud ANYONE who wants to come here, work, educate themselves, and be productive members of society. I DO NOT enjoy having to pay for everyone who is lazy and wants to get hand outs all day. To those Americans who won't do the hard work some immigrants do, they are right in there with the rest of the people sucking the life out of this country.

Now I will step off my soapbox :)

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread too bad...soo...it sure is cold out here today!! Burr indeed!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2014 8:32 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff---You wrote.....

"Quote" However I'm not sure what you describe is the American Dream anymore. It seems that the American Dream is now to sit around an do nothing all day while big government saps the life out of the middle class, small business owners, and others to pay for the insurance and other hand outs for these new American Dreamers. "Quote".

I actually had the phrase "The American Dream" in my post above--but took it out
as it did not fit with what i was trying to say.

I believe the phrase "The American Dream" applied more to the big wave of immigrants
that came here in the early 1900's--after WW-1. The many ancestors of Folks that now
claim a herritage of German..Italian..Polish..Greek--whatever.

The second "big wave" of immigrants was between 1949 and 1951 when all the people that
fled their countries to escape the imminent soviet occupation had to settle somewhere.
I don't remember the details--but it was a pact signed by Stalin, Roosevelt and...????
and I think it was called the "Ribicoff Act"...You can read up on it. It divided Europe in
"Spheres of influence"--I know I may be wrong--and I welcome someone correcting me here...

Anyway--as to your quote---you are correct in some ways--as most of the
illegal immigrants DO come here for all the free stuff and good life they can get.
They have found the loophole to be able to live here.
I do not respect all those people--BUT--if they are doing it to give their children
a chance for a better life by coming here--I do understand. Legal or illegal--
escaping child labor and fear of prosecution or death every day of their lives--
parents have to do what they have to do.
We here are spoiled. These kinds of things never enter our safe and secure lives....

One has to look at the human aspect of this--not just the political.
It is all the laws and the bureaucracy that is making this all so "criminal".

I consider myself very a-political--means I am not interested in politics.
bUT i AM very passionate about these kind of things having lived through them.
I also feel for the people who are escaping a oppressed life with NO promise for
something better. We did!
In that sense--no matter how hard it is to get here--it is still a "Dream" of sorts for them.

I really HATE that every aspect of our lives has 99 rules and legalities that must be
satisfied before someone can live here. It was NOT easy to pass all the tests
and examinations (re health or diseases) before any of us could enter the USA.
We all were DDT-d when stepping off the boat--as if we were animals with diseases.
Having come to the threshold of liberty--many people were turned around and sent back
for the slightest reasons.
There's plenty of room in the USA---would be nice if people could just come here and
make a life for themselves. BUT--they are slick and know how to get around all those legalities.
Like---sending their children here---who are then taken care of, fed and clothed.
BUT--if you were a parent--how easily would you make that decision to send your kids
away by themselves so they could have a better life????

It has to be the hardest thing to decide to do.
Like the sinking of the Titanic---"Women and Children first"--sometimes--ONLY the children.

G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I disagree that most illegal immigrants come here and just take. Not to start anything, but much manual labor in this area is preformed by undocumented workers, who from personal observation, work hard under often difficult conditions. If one spends much time in the construction or landscaping trades this is readily apparent. If I could wave a magic wand and send every illegal immigrant back, a lot of work would be left undone, restaurants closed, childcare difficult to find, goods unsold, etc.

It has become difficult to legitimately come through the system. When I was in graduate school, a professor, respected in her field, from Scotland no less, had a protracted and very expensive interaction with INS just so she could continue teaching in this country. In another instance, my sister had her house cleaned by a woman from Cost Rica who was a legal immigrant, as were her whole family. Her daughter got pregnant and married the father, who was undocumented. INS told her she would have to go back to Costa Rica and apply to immigrate because she was no longer part of her parent's family. She returned to Costa Rica of her own accord, attempting to be compliant, and applied to return. It took 9 (nine) years to get back to her son. During that time she went back to school and earned two degrees, so she was no slouch. Her husband divorced her in the interim, but remained in the country. Is this a working, rational system?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have lost whole commercial businesses since 9/11. Because of the restrictions placed on foreign workers. The area around California, Maryland has lost work for the American waterman, an old and honored profession, a thriving local business went belly up, and all proceeds to go to China. You may ask why? BECAUSE the bus load of ladies that travels here for the season were denied entry to the US. These families, mostly women rode a dedicated bus from Mexico, came every year to work in the crab plants, stayed in barracks conditions for the season, brought their daughters as they were old enough, worked long hours for mostly minimum wage, took their pay and happily returned home. Did I mention they were all documented carrying work visas?
I know I enjoy picking crabs, once or twice a year, with corn on the cob, and cold beer. I can't imagine doing it 40-60 hours a week for months. Our immigration policies have been so contorted, it's like cutting off a hand to prevent treating a hang nail.
Can we now get back on track? Or should I post the giraffe's butt?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Note to Gita - immigrants have routinely been vilified from the beginning of this country, with similar verbiage, for 200 years. People made similar criticisms of the wave you arrived in too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I went to a Garden Club flower arrangement work shop the other day. We were to bring purses to do our arrangements in, so I picked up a few at the Salvation Army ended up using this one. More of a wine bottle bag I think. Held and old vase of mine perfectly. Here is my arrangement. The whole thing was great fun there was a covered dish lunch as well. I'm really glad that I joined the GC I have so much fun at their meetings and activities. Cost was $15 to cover the flowers.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

You know I just realized that we have rarely touched on the topic of flower arranging. How is that possible with all of us gardeners LOL. As much as I love to garden, I never bring cut flowers in to the house. Isn't that odd? I actually have several books on flower arranging in my library so I know it interests me, but maybe it is one of those things like pruning that seems kind of complicated. Holly, that arrangement is very pretty. Did they teach you any tricks for making it last more than a day or two?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Way to go Holly!
I don't cut flowers often either. I always think of Mom when I do, she did so often cut a few for a vase, nothing fancy. Arranging intimidates me, like pruning, I agree, Terri.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I do, I do, (waving frantically). I often cut flowers for the house. Some more than others. I also cut them for family who visit or will be visited. I don't always arrange them however. I usually have Glads in the house when in season and if I find a large stem of Susan's broken or flopping I cut those for the house and trim them to fit some kind of vase. I also like a few things like lilacs or hyacinths for the scent.
I think anyone who's worked for a florist can do a funeral arrangement in a pinch, as well as corsages and boutonnieres at prom time or I should say crunch time. So many to do in short time so they look there freshest. Maybe that would be a good thing for a swap project. Flower arranging 1.0.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

The CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)) my daughter's family participates in in Vermont allows 'pick your own' flowers when people come for their weekly pick ups of veggies, herbs, fruits and berries, eggs, cheeses and artisan breads, maple syrup and honey. I think its 10-12 stems per share and one sunflower. Cosmos, zinnia, dark red amaranth, cleome and many other annuals. fun to to roam and pick well over an acre of cutting garden.

I love little bouquets in tiny vases. Vases of flowers were one of the ways I survived Five years of big city living. Now my whole yard and surrounds are my floral delights.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Maybe along with our South Pacific sing along we should do tropicals or leis!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't have enough flowers in bloom to want to cut any of them off...
Some, like Glads, only have the one stem of bloom. You cut it--and it's gone.
I know Ric had a slew of Glads, so he would not miss a handful.

I have done many flower arrangements as I worked in a small shop.
The Japanese form of flower arranging (name???) often follows the irregular
triangle form as a basic structure. Then you fill in around it.
I like simplicity when doing an arrangement.

When my sisters and nieces were here not long ago, all the blooms were gone.
So--i did a nice arrangement with whatever was left outside--lots of color
and foliage...It looked great. My sister asked if she could take one home.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, They look great, love the mix of plants that you used. Those caladium leaves look great and I would have never thought of using them in an arrangement.
They said to use those packets that come with purchased flowers that they really do make a difference in how long the plants last. There was some talk about a homemade recipe but I can't remember what it was. Also they talked about pushing plants into and out of your oasis. That it contaminates the oasis and that once you get your arrangement set you may want to get a new piece and reproduce your arrangement if you have mangled the original piece of oasis.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

My mom loved cut flowers in the house, so when I first started gardening with her it was mainly for cutting. She sooo enjoyed it. Every time I see a zinnia I think of her as they were one of her favorites. So many colors!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I really haven't done much in the way of flower arranging but when I was very young I worked Saturdays at a farmers market and the stand next to ours sold Veggies and Flowers. At the end of the day after clean up the owner of that stand would give me some of the unsold flowers to take home. My first apartment had fresh flowers every week. I have been thinking I need to buy more fresh flowers for the house.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I cut flowers once in a while, but Joyanna & I really should get in the habit of doing it regularly, as it's always such fun. I wrote an article about flower arranging using "frogs," sort of an introduction to the Ichiban style but in a way that anybody could do. I've seen articles & books on Japanese flower arranging that intimidate the heck out of me!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2133/

(good golly; it's been 6 years since I wrote that!)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly and Jill---
I scanned these pictures in from prints.

I have done my share of arranging flowers--fresh, dried, or silk.
My 8 month stint in this little flower shop gave me the freedom to experiment.
I was their only employee there--and had time to create things just to stay busy.

1--This flower arrangement I did--long ago--the "Ichiban" style comes naturally to me
as it is all about balance and simplicity. Also--using the "frogs" you can
have your stems stand straight up, and you have the freedom to also angle them.
These containers are black, ceramic, angular and shallow and they are one
on top of the other in a very cool way.
I did this arrangement for a BIG dinner at the Estonian House--long ago- (the 80's)

2--This was all dried flowers. It was pictured in the Teleflora book at the Shop--
so I tried to copy it using whatever dried flowers we had on hand.
Just killing time....It turned out pretty good...I think she priced it at about $ 65

The owner, a real ex-hippy, OC ding bat--did not appreciate my creativity.
I believe she was threatened by all I can do..as she thought she was IT.
She "fired" me twice. I came back. The third time she did it--I quit.

3--I made this to donate to an Organization I belonged to as a prize in a raffle.
This is all artificial plants, drieds, silks, and some grasses. I have so much of this stuff!
When I worked at Franks Nursery and Crafts,I used to pick through all the discards
and trash and sneaked home many a stems of silks. I also used to pick up loose
heads of silk flowers as they lay on the floor. Hey! I have a humongous tote
full of these. They were going to be swept way as trash anyway!
I've been a "garbage picker" a very long time...

--4 & 5---Holly--if you have never seen or done these--you may want to introduce them
to your GC, These are called "Basket Gardens".

You can use a nice, wicker basket (Thrift Shops) or any other neat container.
Fill it with packing peanuts, or fine mulch, or any such things--and you nestle the
potted plants in this "filler" on top. Make an arrangement.. 4" or 5" potted plants work well.

The idea is to create a mega dish garden following the same basic rules.
The "Thriller"--the "Filler"-and the "Spiller"....Do whatever looks good to you.
The good thing is that--if you don't like something--or if something wilts or dies,
you can remove the pot and replace it with another potted plant.

The idea is to maintain all the foliage plants in this "garden" but exchange
some of them, as needed, with seasonal favorites.
Remove them and replace them with whatever seasonal stuff you like....
Bulbs....African Violets....small Mums...a Poinsettia for the Holidays....etc...
You GET the idea---right??
These "basket gardens" sold for a lot of money! Don't remember IF they sold!

SO--here are two I made while at this shop. I like them! They are really beautiful!
I think I got this idea from the job I had one spring I worked for Radebaughs Florist
in their Greenhouse. Then--I just elaborated on it....This was in 1987.

Gita

3--

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

They're very pretty.

but I still prefer seeing flowers the way Mother Nature presents them.

We use the basket garden idea at Library- she has 2 lined baskets with couple pots. One philodendron has been growing and vining forever so a 5 inch pot fills a fifteen inch basket.

Your baskets are much fuller than ours though. With better plants lol

Just turned the heat back on. It's 60 in my hallway in the center of the house.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am keeping my Temp in the house at about 64*-65*. Trying to be good!

Turn it down a bit more as I go to bed. My house has many "leaks"--little ones,
but they add up. The doors all "leak"...especially the one in the club room.
So do my old windows, mostly the ones facing West.(the bedrooms).
I know they need caulking--as there is always water condensation on the INSIDE.
I sure could use some new windows. I would replace 5 of them--they are the worst.

I am VERY comfy under my sheet--fleece blanket--and IKEA down Comforter
when I go to bed. Toasty warm! ♥ .

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We got the ductwork sealed this summer, replaced the HVAC unit with a more efficient one, and switched to (mostly) solar power... hoping the savings will pay off! They finally finished all the paperwork and turned on the solar power for real. Jim keeps going out to check the meter, LOL. I have to say the house temperature is much more even after having the ducts done, so it seems likely we were losing a lot of our heating/cooling into the walls before.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I will say, I most appreciate flowers in the garden , woodlands, meadow, or what have you, but cannot pass on the chance to bring their color, fragrance, and beauty indoors. This time of year especially, I enjoy the blooms in the GH, but get to spend more time with them in the great room. Even as a child I could not resist a handful of creek side posies for my mom, she wasn't there with me, so I brought her some of the beauty. I will say my GM was very patient with me when I was very young. She would thank me for my offerings of flowers from her yard. LOL
Jill, We just installed a heat pump system that promises to be very efficient. It's a shame it's first trial is subfreezing temps. I still like our wood/coal stove, I can sit around in shorts and not worry about power outages. I am considering a generator so we can have water, be on line, and watch movies.
Gita, I love your arrangements, going with what you've on hand is the idea I was trying to get across. My first exposure was when I was about 8. My other GM worked seasonally for her BIL at his GH. I was allowed to visit occasionally. Later in life I was his employee, co-worker and friend. He was one of the best natural designers I've ever seen. He could make something inspiring from no more than what was on hand. I try to emulate his style and approach to design but will never achieve his grace.

Looks like right nippy tomorrow.
Sunday afternoon to Tuesday afternoon though, a respite temperature wise; I may put a couple plants back on the deck for the rain.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad you reminded me, Sally - I have plants in the garage that needed some water.

Ric, after you do all of the hard work researching in order to find the best generators, would you please share the results? : - ) I would love to have one, noisy as they are.

There's only one family in our neighborhood with one. I barely knew them at the time, but I knocked on their door and asked for help during a prolonged power outage one winter because my daughter was really worried that her aquarium fish would die. They had a spare portable generator (sort of like a car battery) that they gave us and helped hook up. Wouldn't you know, the power came on hours later!
We bought battery-powered backup-equipment for that tank afterwards, but I still don't want to go through power outages of several days, esp. in the winter.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2014 6:20 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--
You know--HD installs all kinds of generators. We sell them too.

Might save you running around looking for a reputable installer.
Next time you go to HD--ask the person in charge of Home Services
to explain to you whatever there is to know.

They will set everything up for you. G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I assure you I can safely install some type of unit myself. I'm just following the data and deciding which would best serve us. What I would like is something that would be portable enough it could be moved to job sites and then home. My sons would make good use of it in off season. I'm also looking at snow blowers for pathways.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric---

HD carries a bunch of portable generators. Most are on-line only, but you can buy them,
and have them sent to your HD and then go there to pick it up.

There were too many to list---but these were all under 1K in price.
Take a look--or just go to HD.com and Search for it.

I know you know to do all this yourself--just being too helpful again.

Gita

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Portable-Generators/N-5yc1vZbx9n?redirect=true&searchRedirect=portable+generator&redAB=B&NCNI-5

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Portable-Generators/N-5yc1vZbx9n?redirect=true&searchRedirect=portable+generator&redAB=B&NCNI-5

doors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Portable-Generators/N-5yc1vZbx9n?redirect=true&searchRedirect=portable+generator&redAB=B&NCNI-5

doors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Portable-Generators/N-5yc1vZbx9n?redirect=true&searchRedirect=portable+generator&redAB=B&NCNI-5

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been looking at reviews for Goal Zero's portable solar-powered generators. http://www.goalzero.com.

Some of the negative reviews hint at a potential problem in our area that you wouldn't have in, say, California: They might take too long to charge due to too much cloud cover. They can be charged in the wall, however.

We actually bought a few of their small solar power products after the last prolonged power outage, but one's only powerful enough for cell phones, and the other for iPads, tablets, etc. We haven't had any power outages since then, though, so I have no idea how they work.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Guess who's birthday it is. Come wish her a happy one over here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1381486/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hmmmmmm.....

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Last evening I was startled by the trash can lid being thrown off and crashing to the deck. Jeff was at a meeting. I knew it was a rocky raccoon, cuz it has happened before. Anyway I jumped up and ran to the back door to scare it away. It was in the can and kind of lumbered away to the steps and turned around. I jumped toward it with the lid in my hand and it came at me. I was so surprised I backed up and screamed like I have never screamed before. Anyway it left and I sat back down after bringing the trash can inside. Not two minutes later I heard another noise. This time I looked out the sliding door and it was back and looking in the window. AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! There was another can sitting there. So, I opened the back door again and this time TWO of them lumbered off. Didn't come back. How do they know when trash day is, so the can will be fuller? You would think they would come every night, but they don't. They looked really big. My first thought was it was rabid, but then I thought maybe it was just standing up to me because there was another one there. Whatever the case, my little heart was going pitter-pat!!!!!

On a more light hearted note, I get to babysit today for the two year old. His mommy has jury duty. Thomas is SUCH a pleasant little boy to be around. DIL has been approved for the substitute teaching and school secretary list, so I think I will be called in to play more frequently. What fun!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Such excitement, Racoons can be pretty nasty, especially when threatened.
Oh so nice extra time with Thomas and I am sure a blessing for your DIL to know that her baby is in loving hands.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.