Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – It looks like a beautiful day here today after a pretty ordinary one yesterday which finished up with very noisy storms with lots of lightning and thunder but little rain.

Diane – It’s great to see you posting again and I hope you continue to do so as we may be few in number but there is still a lot of knowledge to be passed on from us. If we don’t know the answers we can probably point you to a site that will have the answers.

While I’m on the subject of sites, there are two in particular which all brom growers consider as the “Bromeliad Bibles” they are firstly, the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies http://www.fcbs.org/pictures.htm As well as being a wealth of information, this site has a comprehensive photo index of bromeliad hybrids as well as the best photo index of bromeliad species to be found anywhere.

The other site which is the frequented by brom growers worldwide is the Bromeliad Cultivar Register (BCR) which is a Photo Index of all hybrids which have been registered with the Bromeliad Society International (BSI) which can probably best be described as the “Mother Society for international brom growers” and whose purpose is described as “To promote and maintain public and scientific interest in the research, development, preservation, and distribution of bromeliads, both natural and hybrid, throughout the world”.

The BCR can be accessed at http://registry.bsi.org/ and the BSI at http://www.bsi.org/new/

The plant in your first two pictures is an Aechmea, possibly either Ae. correia-araujoi, Ae. orlandiana or one of its hybrids, Ae. ‘Bert’ being the most common. These plants all have similar leaf patterns but the colour varies as they mature which often makes it difficult to identify particular varieties. They like strong light to bring out the best colour and some say full sun, which I am always reluctant to suggest because in the case of a heat wave, damage will occur.

Your next two plants are both Neoregelias but it’s impossible for me to give a definite variety as there are just so many similar coloured plants around. Judging by what you say about the plant in Pic.4, (I have dozens of these), there is a chance it could be Neo compacta or a Neo compacta hybrid. If this is the case, when grown against a tree or fence it will somehow find a way to climb it and can become quite rampant. Some time back I posted a pic of Neo. compacta growing up a very large tree and I’ll see if I can find it and post it again in a day or two.

Finally, I’m pleased you had a good outcome from your back surgery as it doesn’t always happen that way. I too had surgery against the recommendation of my GP. It was a last resort after trying everything from chiropractic and acupuncture to spinal injections but the pain just got so debilitating I couldn’t do very much at all and couldn’t stand it any longer. Now I have reduced pain, but no feeling in either of my legs below the knees (they just feel like heavy weights). I don’t know what’s worse, the back pain or feeling my way and watching where I put my foot everywhere I walk. I was once told that for every “plus” there is also a “minus” and I guess I got both. However I’m still on the right side of the grass and there’s others much worse off than I.

Trish – I guess the term “looking for a needle in a haystack” could describe searching for the identity of a NOID when comparing it to photographs. It’s not just a simple matter of matching one photo to another, as rarely in photographs is the plant size given, furthermore the stage of development isn’t given either and this as you know has a dramatic effect on the shape and colour of the plant.

I can’t tell you how tall the Bromelias grow as there are many different types but I guess that if they are used to keep cattle enclosed in a paddock they must be pretty large.

Trish I planted my Desert Roses in a very coarse open mix which Tash recommended, but it wasn’t the mix, it was the very cold wet winter nights that wiped mine out, of that I’m sure.

I think the plant you are talking about was (Pic.2) and after the picture of lilliputiana and if so it’s Neo ‘Royal Cordovan’ in my opinion, one of the nicest shaped Neo’s around. The other one is a hybrid of mine from a crossing of Neo. concentrica x (‘Charm’ x ‘Cracker Jack’).

That was a good idea to post some different types of brom’s for Diane to see the differences, now why didn’t I think of that?

Jean – Nice to hear from you again and get a progress report on your new garden.

You say,” Sadly, no more big garden”, but by the same token that also means less work, and it’s surprising just how many plants you can fit into a small garden, you’ll be surprised.

Jean, I have a nice lemon coloured Clivea and if you would like a bulb just let me know and I’ll get one off to you.

I guess it’s time to go again and today I’ll leave you with a few pic’s of my different Ae. recurvatas.

All the best, Nev

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Christchurch, New Zealand

Wow - great to have a few posts to read...

I had a lovely surprise at The Warehouse today - went in after my physio & in the garden section was - Seasol!

I am positive it wasn't there last time when I was looking...
this time I wasn't looking & voila.

Someone was advertising the variegated Bil. nutans on Trademe, I think if I see it again I will ask hubby to buy some for me as he forgot to get me a birthday present - and Xmas is coming :)

cheers - Teresa
ps my regular Bil. nutans has 4 flower spikes this year, must ask my friend how the one I gave her is doing.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hi Jean sounds like you are flat out busy but getting a lot achieved which is great. We are still waiting on some much needed rain with our town dam water only 60% full presently from what I heard on the radio the other day. Looking forward to seeing pics of your garden as it sounds like it is coming together nicely. I too have some flower spikes on my Vrieseas so hopefully pups will not be too far away? What a shame you have no room for Vr. ‘Tiger Tim’, it’s one that does very well here in our garden and just adds that little bit of something different thrown in will my Neo’s etc.

Hi Nev pleased to hear your weather is nice today compared to yesterday, what a shame you only got a little rain with all that stormy weather.

Nev my friend who grows a lot of minis came back with and ID this morning for your Neo. ‘Aurora’ that you recently discovered was incorrectly labelled and believes it is definitely Neo. ‘Domino’ like you suspected so at least you now know for sure and can write a nice new tag out for it. I have passed on a big thanks from the both of us while I was at work today.

What a shame you have had no success growing Desert Roses because of the very cold winter nights. I will have to check with my mum who lives in VIC to see if she had any luck growing some from seed as last year I think I gave her some seed to try growing but keep forgetting to ask if she ever had any success.

Thanks for letting me know that your Pic 2 from the other day was Neo. ‘Royal Cordovan’, I totally agree that it is the nicest shaped Neo out there and have a few growing in our garden because of that. It must be used a lot for hybridising because of its fantastic shape one would think? Have you used it a lot for hybridising? Ah I thought the other one I asked about might have been your crossing of Neo. Concentrica x (‘Charm’ x ‘Cracker Jack’) but thought if I tried guessing I would get the wording all muddled up so thought best to ask instead.

I must admit that I was very half asleep and in a bit of a rush to head off to work when I emailed through my thread in the wee hours of this morning. When it came to attaching the pics I just thought mix them up a bit and hope I remember all their names that early in the morning, but I hadn’t really planed for it to work out that way and kept looking at the clock like a mad women to make sure I got out in time otherwise I would have got caught in the traffic and would have got to work late. So because I did not get time to post last night I got up before the birds had woken this morning and started typing my post and was pleased to get it out but just by the hairs on my chinny, chin, chin that I got it out in time he he.

What lovely pics you posted of Ae. recurvatas, I did not realise how many different one’s are out there. I think I only have the one type in my collection but I can’t remember if the flower is pink or another colour so I will have to check next time it flowers and see if there is anything else written on it’s label other than Ae. Recurvatas? If I had to pick which one I liked the most out of all the pics you posted it would have to be Pic 3 with that beautiful bright orange flower.

Hi Teresa yes isn’t it great to have so many nice posts to read, I am over the moon also that we now have Brian and Diane joining us on a regular basis which is fantastic to see, so a big thanks to them for joining this friendly forum as it makes a big difference to this forum surviving and we are like one big happy family here now and I think that’s wonderful and puts a big smile on my face.

Also fantastic to hear you found some Seasol at your local warehouse; does it have Seasol Concentrate written on the container as this is the one I use in our garden that is far better I believe than normal Seasol given that it is in concentrate form which means you will use less than usual so it will last longer hopefully.

Ah that’s a good idea getting some variegated Bil. Nutans on Trademe and getting your hubby to buy if for you as a gift is even better he he. That’s a good amount of flower spikes on your Bil. Nutans, I think the most I have got on my plant is one flower spike a year but it is still a relatively small plant that I have pulled bits off and given away to friends etc so I am not helping it any as do not give it the opportunity to really clump.

Nev that reminds me could you please put my name down for some variegated Bil. Nutans as I only have the plain type and think I possibly may have asked you for a piece whenever you are able to that is, or possibly I asked someone else, I can’t quiet remember who I asked but I think it was you?

I am getting very excited (like a child) about this weekend as I have been invited to one of the local brom meetings in town and I am really looking forward to meeting other growers/collectors; I believe they meet on a monthly basis so hopefully it will be something I can participate in on a regular basis.

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 - Vr. 'Altodaserrae'
Pic 2 - Ae. 'Nigra'
Pic 3 - Neo. 'Black Beauty' (mini)
Pic 4 - Neo. 'Wild Tiger' (mini)
Pic 5 - And just for something different - one of Joe's beautiful Orchids which is a Paphiopedilum 'Rothschildianum x St Swithin' - sorry picture on it's side because Joe took pic on his phone.

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Nev I am sorry you didn't have a great outcome from your surgery, I guess I was very lucky because I know of several people who haven't had good outcomes. I get what you were saying about the pain getting so debilitating you couldn’t do very much at all and couldn’t stand it any longer as that was me too. Your Ae. recurvatas are beautiful but what does the Ae. stand for please? I have so much to learn about Broms I almost don't know where to start.
Trish I really love your Vr. 'Tiny Tim' and Vr. 'Snows of Mauna Kea' and thank you for showing me your 'Pink Cockatoo' as I'm getting the idea there are many Vriesea's too. In fact it seems like the Broms are a huge family looking at all your pictures.
Many thanks to everyone on the forum for the warm welcome, I am going to preview this and send it now before I lose it as I've done this more than once.

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Gee, lots of posts since I was here last and I only missed one day.

Nev, thanks so much for sorting some of your lovely broms to send to me, I am so looking forward to receiving them. I will get some off to you soon, just waiting for some I have put aside for you to grow roots.

Nev, thanks for the info on the possibility of my neo Out of Africa being a sport but I think it’s wrongly named. I am a bit disappointed that another neo that I bought at the show looks nothing like the photo on the BCR so maybe wrongly named as well ... and a couple more are not registered.

Diane, your pic 1-2 is an Aechmea, possibly Orlandiana, pic 3 is a neo of some sort, pic 4 looks like neo McWilliamsii ?? and that’s a nice Desert Rose in your pic 5.

Brian, some of these new cars around today almost drive themselves, don’t they. My back is much better thanks, finally either the needles, the physio or the pills are starting to take effect.

Diane, most of the damage to my back is degenerative and I think I will just have to take care and not do things to aggravate it. Great to hear that your surgery was so successful.

Jean, sounds like your garden is coming along nicely at your new home. I had a bit of a giggle thinking about whether we should have four legs. My first thought was that I have enough trouble reaching things on shelves as it is and I would be so much shorter walking on all fours … and I wouldn’t be able to use my little step either.

I will attach pics of a couple of other neos I bought at the Brom Show, pics 1-2.

Pic 1 – neo Beachcomber ???
Pic 2 – neo Painted Prince
Pic 3 – neo Black Warrior (fairly new purchase)
Pic 4 – neo Africa 007 (another recent buy)

Hope I haven’t missed anyone,

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Trish - the bottle does say Seasol liquid concentrate...
My Bil. nutans started as a couple of plants rescued from one being tossed out.
Slowly but surely over the last 3 years it has mulitiplied.
It has survived baking hot sun, frosts, gale force winds & snow!

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Where has spring gone? All night long we’ve had gale force winds and freezing cold sleety rain, in fact the wind’s so strong; it would blow a dog of a chain!

No gardening today, and it’s just as well I bought a heap of Neo’s into the garage yesterday to be re-potted.

Teresa – Gee things are finally looking up for you on the brom front. Firstly you’ve tracked down Seasol and now you’ve found the elusive variegated Bill nutans you’ve been after.

You’d better make it clear to hubby though that it is a “belated birthday present” and not a “combined birthday and Christmas present”. Also congratulations on your four flower spikes on Bill. nutans, you must be doing something right.

Trish – Thanks so much for tracking down the correct ID for my mini previously known as Neo. ‘Auroa’. I had suspected that for some time but as no one else down here has it I had no way of checking. Thanks for passing on a big “thank you” to your friend from me also.

As for the Desert Roses, I’m pleased to say it isn’t just me who has difficulty growing them. I have a friend who is a member of the local Garden Club, and she told me the topic for last month’s meeting was “Desert Roses”. It seems that everyone in this area has the same problem except one lady who takes her plants inside during the cold weather.

I made myself a rule when I started with brom’s, and that was, if they had to be brought inside during the cold weather, then I wouldn’t bother growing them, and the same applies to Desert Roses as well. I guess I’ll just have to admire them from the pictures.

Your remark about using Neo. ‘Royal Cordovan’ as a breeding parent made me realize that it’s a plant I’ve never used nor have I heard of any of the other local breeders using it. This prompted me to check the BCR to see what was recorded about it as a parent and it has thirty hybrids registered against its name, so people other than you have recognized its potential as a parent also. To see some of the beautiful results from it as a parent, go to: http://registry.bsi.org/index.php?fields=Parents&id=2841&search=Royal%20Cordovan.
There’s a very interesting cross that was made in Thailand by crossing it with a very unlikely candidate, Neo.’Hannibal Lector’ and producing an attractive hybrid called Neo.‘Heart of Siam’.

Also, I’m quite impressed you even remember the other one; we’ll make a breeder out of you yet. Now is the time to start hybridising while you’re young you know, don’t wait until you’re an old fart like me as you’ll regret it as I have. I know Tash took my advice and is collecting some great plants which will make wonderful breeding stock.

I think Ae recurvata is an amazing little plant which seems almost “bullet proof” as it has withstood heatwaves and freezing cold winters here, out in the open with no protection whatsoever. It’s only when I‘m weeding around them in the garden and I’m continually getting “pricked” that I threaten to get rid of them, but then the time comes when the leaves start to colour up again and they get a reprieve. The one you liked the best is one of my seedlings and my favourite also as it’s not as large as many of the others and just about 6” high, hence the name pending registration of ‘Little Surprise’.

Yes I do have you down for a bit of the variegated nutans. I dug a heap of it out of the garden during my tidy up as it does become quite rampant. It was very overcrowded and consequently very leggy due to growing toward more the light. I planted a few pots and I cut the leaves right back to where they should be in the hope of producing pups more quickly, but the weather has been so unsettled until now and hopefully when it stabilizes, things will start to move and I’ll send you a bit.

Trish, if you have a local brom society in town I would strongly advise you to join it as you will learn much more there from other growers than you will from all of the books you can read, but more importantly you will learn about growing them in your own local area. If it’s anything like our society there are also opportunities to buy plants at reasonable prices as well as pots, name tags and other requisites. Usually they have a guest speaker each month as well as a mini-show (popular vote) where members often bring in various types of different genera.

I don’t know of Vr. 'Altodaserrae' (Pic.1) and don’t seem to be able to find it anywhere, do you know anything about its history or what sort of flower it has?

The mini’s look like nice little plants but Joe’s Paph. gets my vote, it’s a beauty. Tell me, did you post those pic’s from a PC or a laptop? I’m just trying to establish why one is sideways.

Diane – As you get into bromeliads, you will, learn the importance of keeping accurate names where ever possible. However some of these names are quite long and to save a bit of space on the name tags, the genera name is often abbreviated; in the case of the plants I posted yesterday Ae. is the abbreviation for Aechmea..

Here are some examples of some of the more commonly grown genera and their name abbreviations;
Aechmea = Ae., Neoregelia = Neo., Nidularium = Nid., Tillandsia = Till., Vriesea = Vr., Guzmania = Guz., Billbergia = Bill.

Regarding losing posts before you post them on D.G., this happens on and off from time to time and what some of us do now is type our message on Microsoft Word first, and then just cut and paste it to D.G., that way if D.G. “eats it” you still have the original and don’t have to re-type it.

You say, “I have so much to learn about Brom’s I almost don't know where to start”, and in answer to this I would say that like everything, the best place to start is at the “beginning”. There is an enormous amount to understand about the different types of bromeliads but fortunately you only need to initially know the “tip of the ice berg”; in other words, about the few different genera that we commonly grow. As your collection and knowledge grows you will learn more, but you only need to learn as much as you are comfortable with, unless of course your objective is to become a taxonomist.

I don’t want to frighten you off bromeliads with the following information, this is just there as an “optional extra” if you like, and something you may or may not wish to refer to sometime in the future.

To give an idea of the size range, the largest bromeliad is Puya raimondii, which reaches 3–4 m tall in vegetative growth with a flower spike 9–10 m tall, and the smallest is the tiny Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss.) with many more in between.

Below is the bromeliad family and a list of the three bromeliad sub-families; as your collection grows, you my like to see which family each of your particular plants belongs to or you may be like many other growers and just be content with enjoying them without checking their origons, it’s entirely up to you.

Collectively bromeliads come from one main family known as BROMELIACEAE. This comprises a total of over 50 genera and 3,000 species.

This main family is broken down into three sub-families BROMELIOIDEAE, PITCAIRNIOIDEAE, and TILLANDSOIODEAE and listed below are the genera which fit within each of these families.

BROMELIOIDEAE: (32 genera, 861 species)
Acanthostachys, Aechmea , Ananas, Androlepis, Araeococcus , Billbergia , Bromelia , Canistropsis , Canistrum, Cryptanthus, Deinacanthon , Disteganthus, Edmundoa, Eduandrea , Fascicularia, Fernseea , Greigia , Hohenbergia, Hohenbergiopsis, Lymania , Neoglaziovia , Neoregelia , Nidularium , Ochagavia , Orthophytum , Portea , Pseudaechmea , Pseudananas , Quesnelia , Ronnbergia , Ursulaea , Wittrockia , Hybrids, Colour Variants

PITCAIRNIOIDEAE: (16 genera, 1030 species)
Brewcaria , Brocchinia , Connellia , Cottendorfia , Deuterocohnia , Dyckia , Encholirium , Fosterella, Hechtia, Lindmania, Navia, Pepinia, Pitcairnia, Puya , Sequencia , Steyerbromelia, Hybrids, Colour Variants.

TILLANDSOIODEAE: (9 genera, 1277 species)
Alcantarea , Catopsis , Glomeropitcairnia , Guzmania , Mezobromelia, Racinaea, Tillandsia , Vriesea , Werauhia , Hybrids, Colour Variants.

So by now you’re probably totally confused, I know I would be, but as I said it’s just information which you may at some time like to refer to, it isn’t compulsory.

Shirley – There’s no hurry sending me any pups in return, I have plenty of re-potting to keep me going. As you say, best to wait until they have a few roots when sending to cooler areas whereas it’s OK to send them rootless to warmer climates as they quickly grow roots at this time of the year.

I’m sorry about the name puzzle with the plants you bought at the show. Some of the brom societies brought in a rule that you couldn’t sell unnamed plants (NOIDS) at their shows. This was aimed at preventing more NOIDS from entering collections, however there are unscrupulous growers who get around this by just putting any name at all on the plants just to make a buck, and this causes an even bigger problem.

What we do in our society when selling plants which are NOIDS, we sell them with the name of the genera and the addition of (Varietal name unknown); e.g. Neoregelia (Varietal name unknown). That way the purchaser isn’t deceived and they know exactly what they are getting. The only other way around this is what is advocated by very staunch growers and that is that all NOIDS should be destroyed and that will never happen either. Have they not heard of “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”?

Shirley, when you can’t find a plant on the BCR you can sometimes find it in the FCBS Photo Index as it doesn’t have to be registered to put it on there. Also if you can’t find it on the BCR and you know the name of the hybridiser you can sometimes find it with an advanced search. I remember once saying on one of the forums that Allan Freeman had 500 hybrids registered on the BCR and Geoff Lawn (the registrar) told me there was more than that and to access them all I needed to go to “Advanced Search”, type in the genus, the breeders name and highlight the “maximum” box at the bottom which I did, and “hey presto” there was a list of 957 registered Freeman hybrids on the list.

The difference in appearance between your ‘Beachcomber’ and the one in the pic. on the BCR could just be a climate thing where the colour changes occasionally. I would wait until next time a pup matures and maybe it will look similar; of course if the change was in the plant in the picture, I guess you’ll never know. Remember the Pic’s on the BCR often differ to the plants we have in our collection as it depends on the stage of maturity of the plant when the picture was taken.

They’re all nice plants in your pic’s today but the Neo ‘Africa’ is head and shoulders above the rest and gets my vote; what amazing shape.

I apologize to you all as I seem to have got carried away a bit with this post and gone very much overboard……blame it on the crook weather.

Just a few random pic’s today to finish with, and I’ll see you all again tomorrow.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Tascott, Australia

Hi everybody,

Geez its gone back to winter here today. Supposed to go and work up in the Blue Mountains but the main hwy was closed from too much snow on the road. Overnight it bucketed down and a fair bit of wind as well.

Nev, a couple of stupid questions.

1. You were saying it was hard to grow a 'Desert Rose' because of the colder climate you lived in, I was wondering what the benefit would be in growing Bromeliads on a heated bench of say 25deg instead of being out in an air temp of say 5-10deg in winter.I have always worked at large nurseries/flower growers that heated their glass houses and benches in many different ways for the different varieties of plants but have never seen bromeliads grown in large numbers.

2 Why are you re- potting your plants. Is it an age thing or stability / size?

I like the colour in the 5th pic you put up.

Teresa, the Bill Nutans you are after looks like a ripper.

Jean, maybe in having a smaller garden all the plants you have will be your favourites and have more meaning to you (if that makes sense).

Shirley, great to hear you are on the mend, hope it continues.

Trish, good luck with the meeting you are going to on the weekend, I bet you will enjoy yourself. I have never really collected any plants before just your usual garden fillers ferns, a few Proteas and I planted a Zycad (?) in our front yard over the top of a sullage tank in the ground and it grew to about 8' high x about 10' in diameter.
I can see these Bromeliads becoming a real addiction, the 'Novices and Addicts' heading is not an exaggeration.

Diane, good to see you back again.

Anyhow i will finish with a couple of pics of the Botanical Gardens.

Brian

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hi Diane please to hear you like the picture of Vr. ‘Tiger Tim’, I have a couple growing in the garden and they look great and have grown to a good size but they have not produced pups as of yet. Our dogs squashed my Vr. ‘Snows of Mauna Kea’ sometime ago chasing a snake but it’s coming back thank goodness and has grown since that picture was taken. Vr. ‘Pink Cockatoo’ also comes in red and is called ‘Red Cockatoo’, I think I have this one too somewhere hidden in the garden and only seem to sight it when it flowers because it camouflages well with the green foliage.

Nev has kindly provided great information on the different types of Bromeliads out there and I am sure you will find this to be a very interesting read and it will be a great reference point for you to refer back to whenever you like, Nev's wonderful like that and I would be lost without the sound advice he gives us all and he has been a great mentor over the years since I joined this friendly forum and I have learnt so much from Nev and I can't thank him enough for all his valuable guidance and advice.

Hi Shirley pleased to hear you are on the mend - yeah; sure you are getting back into the swing of things around your garden but take it easy best you can and try not to over do things playing catch-up, easier said than done I know but slow and steady still gets there in the end no matter what. Lovely pics you posted on 14/10, I liked them all because of their full bodied shape and the colours were just a beautiful added bonus.

Hi Teresa great to hear you brought Seasol liquid concentrate, that’s the best one out there I believe and the only one I swear by using.

That’s great how your rescued your Bil. Nutans and that now 3 years later it repaying you with lots of beautiful flower spikes, it sounds like it has had more than nine lives all it has endured over the years ha ha.

Hi Nev your weather sounds very unpredictable indeed at the moment, how annoying for you, but at least you got yourself setup in your shed and have been merrily potting broms that I know you always really enjoy doing.

No worries Nev I am really pleased you now have a positive ID for your Neo. ‘Domino’ once and for all and don’t need to keep wondering anymore.

I will ring my mum on the weekend and ask about how her Desert Roses are going out of interest and let you know.

Thanks Nev I will check out the BCR and see what Neo. ‘Royal Cordovan’ has been used as a parent and by the sounds of what you say it has been used a lot which is great to hear.

I would luv to get into hybridizing; what would be your advice to me in getting started down that track given you are a guru in this area and I am just wee grasshopper who does not know where to start? We would need to buy the block next door I reckon though as I am already maxing out a good majority of our garden beds already as it is and am always on the lookout for more space LOL. I have the growing from seed part nearly down pat but hybridizing is always in the back of my mind I must admit.

I am really looking forward to this Sunday going to my first Brom Meeting and am sure aside from meeting many new growers / collectors it will help me learn so much more and as you say especially suited to the area I live when it comes to growing broms in my area. I will be like a sponge taking everything in and will take a little note book to write things down. The meeting occur once a month at someone's place and the members just rotate around monthly where to have the meeting is my understanding. All I need to do is bring myself, nibbles and a chair so I like how down to earth and relaxing that sounds as with the limited time I have on the weekends it should hopefully fit in well with things and hopefully something I can attend/participate on a regular basis fingers crossed.

"Just a few random pics" you say Nev but what a great selection of Neo's you have chosen with all that wonderful natural glossy colour shining through without a splash of water in sight. I could not pick a favourite because they are all stunning looking broms as far as I am concerned.

I have not yet seen Vr. 'Altodaserrae' flower but I have heard the flower grows really tall and the bracts branch out predominantly red from bottom up blending into limey/yellow, similar to the flower spike on Vr. 'Phillipo Coburgii' but even prettier. I remember looking up a pic' years ago and that's what I can remember and what made me buy it on EBay initially other than I really liked the look on the pointy tips of the leaves very different to other vrieseas in my collection and I wanted something tough to put in the garden that could take a fair bit of light but not full sun of course.

Pleased to hear you really liked the look of Joe's orchid, I passed on your kind complements to him and he said a huge thanks. But just between you me and the fence post I do not think he is deserving of them because he still calls my broms "bottom feeders" ha ha. I bagged the crap of him yesterday because his Orchids Australia book had a picture of a bromeliad in it so I said they needed to change the title to Bromeliads Australia book instead he he. But just secretly (so he does not grow a big head) he does grow his orchids very well and is very passionate about caring for and growing them very well and thank goodness we have separate hobbies though because I think we would rub each other the wrong way if we tried just growing either broms or orchids together because we are very stubborn and pigheaded when it comes to what we want to do with our collections LOL.

Anyway time to head off as it's getting late for me an I am getting square eyes.

No pics tonight sorry as Joe is using the hard-drive at present that has my pics on it.

Trish

Townsville, Australia

Hi Brian

We must have posted at the same time he he.

Sounds like you well and truly have the 'Brom Bug' and I reckon that's fantastic, no other plants in the garden will matter now and you will get a guilt trip every now an then when you neglect some of your other plants but it does not last for long because the Brom Addiction side of things will kickback in and blind you like it has done to me repeatedly LOL. I got the guilt trip recently when my friend looked at my Crotia shrubs and said they looked a little sad so when she left after her visit I ran and got the hose to save them till the next time I suppose, the heads on the sprinklers must be blocked as normally I do not need to hand water them so I better look into that or remind Joe or I will forget.

Great pics' from the botanical gardens and thanks for sharing them with us, looks like you really had a lovely time there.

Anyway I better head off, eyes are hanging out of my head and early wake up tomorrow.

Trish

I missed out on my variegated Bil nutans...
it's not listed for sale any more.
Grrr - I should have asked hubby for it when I saw that it was available locally.
It was cheap too.

Just have to hope that who ever is growing it decides to sell some more.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Teresa what a shame you missed out on getting bil. Nutans, hope the seller posts some more up for sale for you to get down the track. Trish typing this on my phone while I have a tea break.

Works for me I am sorry to hear your back problem is degenerative, I guess there is not too much can be done. I'm glad it seems better at the moment and hope that will continue to be the case.
Nev thanks for the explanation of the Brom name abbreviations, I'll have to see if I can figure out how to print that out.
The posts are so long here and the names still confusing to me, not to mention finding out there are so many broms that it is all a bit daunting to a newcomer. I will do my best to keep up but forgive me in advance if I get things confused sometimes.
Trish so glad the beautiful vireya your dog squashed is coming back, it would be a real shame to lose that one. Nice to know there is also a Vr. "red cockatoo".
Brian you seem to be catching on a lot faster than I am.
Dalfyre what a shame you missed out on your variegated Bill Nutans and I hope there will be more on offer at a future date.
Shirley the photos you have taken of your broms are very good, you must be an excellent photographer or have a good camera. They look so healthy and almost polished so you sure know how to treat them well.

Pic 1 is how my Vr. paddle looked yesterday
Pics 2 & 3 are of a brom that has multiplied well and is growing up a tree.

Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

seem to have been rushing about all day, just about exhausted. We have an early morning wake up tomorrow, not something we're used to. Planning an early night so I'm about to head off to bed ... will catch up with everyone tomorrow.

See you then, Shirley

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Sorry I didn’t get around to posting yesterday, but I thought you were probably still wading through the previous “book” I posted the day before What a fantastic day it was yesterday, the complete opposite to the day before. I spent most of the morning picking up plants that had been blown over with surprisingly little damage except a few broken leaves. In the afternoon I was able to get a bit more potting done, so all in all yesterday was a pretty productive day.

I hope anyone who was in the path of those horrific winds and rain didn’t sustain too much damage before it fortunately went out to sea. They say now it was a “mini-tornado”; so I can imagine more clearly what our Nth. Queensland members have to put up with, only on a much larger scale.

This morning is very overcast and it’s been raining solid since about 4.30am, so not promising to be much of a day again.

Brian – Firstly let me say that I don’t think any of your question are “stupid”; what’s more if we don’t ask questions how will we learn?

In answer to your first question, obviously many plants will perform better if they have what’s commonly called “bottom heart” and I don’t imagine Desert Roses would be any different.

When I had orchids many years ago in a colder area south of here, I built a fiberglass house 30’ x 20’ and insulated the inside with poly film. I installed an old coke fed slow combustion stove outside which heated water which re-circulated through pipes beneath the benches and then back into the cold water feeder tank above the stove. As well as heating beneath the benches it heated the whole area sufficiently to remove the chill from the cold frosty nights we were plagued with.

The more tropical orchids and other plants loved it. It was cheap to run as the water was free, and as I worked at the steelworks, I could buy “Peanut Coke” for about one pound a truck load (supply your own truck). Remember these were the “good old days”. To run the same system today would cost an “arm and a leg”, and that’s why when I started in brom’s I said if they wouldn’t grow outside beneath shade cloth, then I wouldn’t grow them at all. True there’s a lot of brom’s I can’t grow, but there’s a lot I can, and I’m happy to continue the way I’m going.

As for question two, the answer is yes, it is a combination of age, stability and size. With a collection of over two thousand plants, I have to continually re-pot throughout the year to try and keep on top of things. I find that by growing brom’s in a pot that’s slightly smaller than other growers use, my pups form roots much quicker and grow better.

Remember these plants are epiphytes so they just want the pot to support them and aren’t wholly dependent on the mixture within as long as they get a bit of nourishment via the foliage. The content of the pot could be anything at all from inert polystyrene, Skoria, broken bricks, charcoal, bark or a mixture of any or all of these as well as of the hundreds of potting mixes available as long as they are open and free draining. Once my plants reach about two years old they are almost out growing the pot, hanging over the side and becoming more inclined to topple over, especially the Billbergias. So in answer to your questions, (age, stability and size) the answer is yes, yes, yes to all of these.

The plant in Pic.5 is Neo.’Purple Star’; a very nice brom but difficult to capture the true colour with a camera.

In your pictures of the Botanical Gardens, that’s one hell of a plant of Ae. pineliana in Pic.2; it’s massive. Unfortunately it isn’t getting enough light to show off its beautiful pink tones and unless it’s moved, will always continue to be an unattractive plant. Unfortunately I can’t read the name on the beautiful burgundy coloured plant in Pic.3, it’s probably an Alcantarea but it could also be a Vriesea and as I’m not really up on these genera I can’t be sure. It’s certainly an eye catching plant though and we’d know what it was for sure if the flowers were open.

Trish – I’d just like to add a little to your info about the “Cockatoo” series of Vrieseas; there is also a very attractive dark purple form as well and obviously called Vr. ‘Purple Cockatoo’.

You ask about hybridising; firstly let me say that I’m certainly no “Guru” and am still very much feeling the way myself. I don’t remember if I sent you a copy of a little book I once wrote on sowing brom seed and hybridising but the hybridising process for Neo’s is explained in there. However, if I had known then what I know now, I would have started with Billbergias as they are much easier to work with and if you’re interested I have some very good pictures which explain this which I got from a friend in South Africa.

The brom meeting you’re going to on the weekend sounds like a very good informal type of meeting. A lot of groups start off this way where they use a different member’s home as a meeting place each month and it works well as it cuts down on expenses but you also get to see everyone’s gardens and pick up lots of new ideas. Unfortunately our society has grown now to the size where this can’t work as we have too many members (50+) and we now have to meet in a hall large enough to accommodate us. It’s still a nice friendly society but like all things when they get large, you don’t have the same family atmosphere and camaraderie.

At last I know what Vr. Altodaserrae looks like; for some reason I was looking on the BCR and couldn’t find it so I immediately thought, “another NOID”. For some reason it didn’t occur to me to check the species Photo Index on the FCBS site, and when I did, there it is, and what an interesting looking plant it is.

Like you say it does have a large inflorescence like Vr. philippo-coburgii but unfortunately I can’t post the pic as they are all copyrighted but you can find it in the FCBS species section at No.2 on the list. Please put me down for a pup when you get a spare.

Regarding Joe’s orchids and your brom’s, I once knew a family where the husband was into orchids, his wife was into ferns and the son was into brom’s. They had a huge shade cloth/fibre-glass growing house and grew them all together as a mixed collection, and what a picture they made. The last time I was there many years ago, his wife was talking about adding Miniature Crotons to the collection as well. Unfortunately I lost track of them but I have heard they moved to another area on a five acre block but I couldn’t get an address, so my mind now “boggles” when I think about what they may have achieved by now.

Teresa – Bad luck you missed out on the variegated Bill. nutans, but as they say; these plants are like trains, “there’s always another one coming”.

Diane – As for printing off those notes I posted, just copy them and paste to a blank page in Microsoft Word and then print it off from there.

As for getting things confused, well we all do that from time to time, but if you don’t understand something just ask and I’m sure you’ll get an answer from one of us. If it’s any consolation, I’ve been growing brom’s for quite a few years now and some of the names regularly confuse me too.

As for your comment about Shirley’s photo’s, yes she has a good camera, but more importantly she has good plants and grows them well. The paddle on your Vriesea is slowly starting to spread its wings so to speak, and when they are fully spread you will see the first of the little flowers tart to appear.

I don’t know the name of the spotted Neo in your pic’s as there are many around with similar colours, but it’s nicely marked and certainly a vigorous looking plant judging by the way it’s taking over that tree trunk.

Shirley – That was a quick visit, but at least we know you’re still about and will be back when time permits.

That’s it once again and I’ll finish with a mixed bag today; firstly a third generation hybrid of Jack Koning’s Vr. Fosteriana ‘White Bands’ F3, Pic.2 is Ae. pineliana (about two feet high) and a much larger plant than Ae. pineliana minuta. This was taken in winter before it coloured up. Pic.3 is a little Neo. miniature species called Neo. ampullacea Rubra (Large Firm), Pic.4 is the nice pendulous inflorescence of Bill. sanderiana and Pic.5 is an insect pest called a “Katydid” which causes similar damage to a Grass Hopper but you won’t see it during the day as they are only active at night They can be just as destructive as Grass Hoppers and especially love Vrieseas.

All the best, Nev.

I have a question, how does one know how much light each variety of brom requires and which ones can handle sunlight? I have always thought of broms as shade plants but if I look at where some broms are thriving in my garden they can be getting quite a lot of sun.
Nev your white bands is striking, I love it. The katydids have come as news to me but something is eating a lot of my plants at night and I've not seen any snails or slugs just after dusk. I have been blaming possums but now I am wondering if it might be these beasties. Will have to see what I can learn about them.

Brisbane, Australia

Hello all,

Trish, here we are at the weekend again, hope you manage lots of brom time. Enjoy your first Brom meeting on Sunday and don’t forget to tell us all about it.

Diane, thanks for the compliment regarding my photos. I use a Canon Ixus digital camera. We have a Canon SLR that takes an excellent photo but it’s quite large and heavy and requires two hands to hold it steady and take the pic. I much prefer my little Ixus as I can take photos using only one hand and pop it in my pocket when not in use … though I lose it all the time because of its small size.

Nev, we got quite a good shower of rain tonight … I’m so pleased as it will save me so much time tomorrow not having to water. We could really use more, much more.

Nev, I have finally made it to the Brom Forum but don’t think I’m going to have time to go there very often as I am finding it hard to get to DG until very late at night. Guess I’ve just got too many broms and yet I’m still hopelessly obsessed.

Hi to Brian, Jean and Teresa, enjoy the weekend.

Pic 1 – neo Alice Springs
Pic 2 – neo Fury
Pic 3 – neo Vangie Go
Pic 4 – neo Captain Moxley

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
Brisbane, Australia

Sorry, pic 4 in my previous post is neo Stellar Blast not Capt Moxley but DG wont allow me to edit.

Shirley

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Well it looks like being a promising day today. The sun’s out and the birds are singing and not a cloud in the sky…….yet.

Diane – Firstly the Vr. ‘White Bands’ I posted yesterday isn’t my plant; it belongs to Jack Koning a friend of mine and a well-known breeder of quality bromeliads, especially Vrieseas. To see some of Jack’s work go to: http://registry.bsi.org/index.php

The amount of light required for brom’s varies, depending on the genera, but generally speaking they will grow anywhere, but not necessarily at their best. For instance, you won’t get good results if you grow in heavy shade as they will become long leaved and straggly as they reach out for light, and as you need light for flowers, they usually won’t flower under these conditions either. On the other end of the spectrum, some of the more hardier Aechmeas as well as the succulent types like Dyckias and Hechtias will do well in full sun, however they too will suffer damage during heat wave conditions.

The ideal situation will only come with your own experience as all growing areas are different and even just a few feet difference in the level of the land of your own block can make a big difference, temperature wise.

As a general rule I have found in my conditions here on the south coast that Neoregelias and Aechmeas will grow well at around 75 – 80 % light whereas Vrieseas like a bit less at about 60% and Guzmanias and Nidulariums will grow and flower well at 50%. As I mentioned above, there are exceptions with some Aechmeas, e.g. recurvatas which will take full sun like Dyckias and Hechtias. The thing is, “look at your plants” if they aren’t doing well, try another location; more importantly, if they are doing well DON’T MOVE THEM. I have an old rule I’ve always gone by and that is, if I’m comfortable with the temperature and the amount of light, then my brom’s are as well.

If you suspect it’s “Katydids” eating your plants, go out at night about 9.00pm with a torch and see if you can find any because this is the best time to find them.

Shirley – I understand what you say about not having enough time to get on the Brom Forum, but even with 15 minutes a day, you will become proficient in navigating your way around it and I’m sure you’ll pick up something interesting each time you visit. If I come across anything I think you’ll be interested in I’ll let you know where to find it to save you a bit of time.

They’re four nice looking plants you’ve posted pic’s of today and I’m not very familiar with most of them. Neo.’Alice Springs’ I’ve never seen before and I also find that it isn’t registered either but there’s something about that colour scheme that’s very different. There must be thousands of hybrids with similar markings, but not with that base colour of an unusual mix of pink/tomato/light red or however else you would describe it; most unusual and very attractive.

The plant you have named as Neo.‘Fury’ is very different to the ‘Fury’ that’s grown around here, ours is more the colour of the Grace Goode hybrid shown on the BCR. I doubt yours is the same ‘Fury’ that was bred by Grace Goode as it seems to me to be equally as good or better (shape wise) with more subtle colouring. Although as I look closer at your plant, it doesn’t appear to have flowered as yet so maybe that stronger colouring doesn’t come until anthesis and it will be interesting to get another pic when it flowers to compare with others I’ve seen.

Your plant of Neo.‘Vangie Go’ is more superior to the pic of the one on the BCR in both colour and shape. When I first glanced at the picture I thought it was Neo. Perfection and it wasn’t until I enlarged it I saw the greenish leaf margins. Certainly a very nice plant.

Finally the plant that gets the cigar from me for colour is what I initially thought was Neo. ‘Captain Moxley’ a beautiful plant and certainly out of my budget’s range. I was very surprised to see your next post where you say it’s called Neo.’Stellar Blast’; I’m having a bad day today, as I haven’t heard of this either nor is it on the BCR. All I can say is that if I were a betting man, I would have done my money.

I think I’ll finish here with a few pic’s of plant whose names I’m sure of. Pic.1 Ae. pectinata, Pic.2 Vr. carinata, Pic.3 In my opinion a very underrated little Aechmea. Ae. 'Chianti var. Jean', Pic.4 Ae. cylindrata and Pic.5 Neo. 'Sun King' (Red Form)

All the best, Nev.

Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

Beauty of a day here today.

Spent the morning mixing with all the other buyers at the Bromeliad Society of Australia spring show. Geez there were a lot of people crammed into the Burwood RSL. I think they need to look at a larger room as it is getting very popular. It wasn't a relaxed atmosphere like Nev's show was. Plenty of plants though and as usual spent far too much on these bloody plants! Might be cheaper to have a gambling addiction.

Diane, I too have been having difficulty with the light situation for all the different plants. I am trying out different spots around the garden to see how they are affected.

Nev, thanks for the info in your last post. As far as the heating thing goes, I do it for work and I am going to install some hydronic panels in the house before next winter, it would be an easy task to run some floor heating pipe out the back and strap it to the mesh under the plants. Normal water temp is about 45 deg but prob run at 30 deg and see if it helps. Like you said I would have to work out the costs of it as gas is a lot more expensive than one pound per trailer load of coal/coke.

Anyway, hi to everybody else, have a good weekend.

Some pics from today's purchase, not the best light though.

Pic 1 Neo Marble Snow
Pic 2 Neo Groucho
Pic 3 Till. ionantha
Pic 4 Orthophytum gurkenii 'warren loose'
Pic 5 Neo. Noble Descent

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM
Tascott, Australia

Swap pic 3 + 4

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Thanks Nev for volunteering to draw my attention to any interesting posts in the Brom Forum, I'll have to try to keep up. Nice pics in your post.

Brian, there is a BSQ show on here in Brissie and I would love to go but I tend to blow the budget as well, so might stay away this year. Thankfully we don’t have to worry about heating here.

Hi to everyone else, hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Tonight’s pics -

1 – neo Balmoral
2 – neo Fools Gold
3 – neo Solar Storm
4 – neo Captain Moxley
5 – neo Stellar Blast … for comparison

Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Hopefully it won’t take me as long with this post as it did with the one yesterday. I started about 7.30am and what with phone calls and other interruptions I had to stop typing and finish it off yesterday afternoon. In between times I managed to get a bit more potting done, but more importantly, some cleaning up.

Brian – I went to a Bromeliad Society of Australia spring show which must have been about five or more years ago at the same venue and it was overcrowded then. It was near impossible to have a good look at the exhibition tables which were poked away in a corner and getting near the sales tables was just as difficult as they were packed. It seems there is a very large Chinese population growing bromeliads in that area and like all brom growers, they love bargains and were there in force as well. I must say the show as a whole didn’t meet my expectations, and being the Bromeliad Society of Australia, I was expecting something much better. However I’ve since been told they were going down the same path as many other organisations with a lack of willing workers. I’m afraid I’m a country boy and just hate crowds so I won’t be back.

To delve a bit more into what amount of light is required, let me share with you some advice once given to me by a well-known and respected orchid nurseryman and show judge. (and I have found this advice applies equally to bromeliads).

He told me to use the plants leaves as a guide. He said you can learn a lot about a plant by studying the leaves. Generally speaking, a dark green leaf means too much shade and a light green and almost yellow leaf means too much sun. Also the dark green leaves will appear long and droopy and unable to support themselves (this is because they are reaching out trying to find more light), whereas the light green leaves will be tougher, shorter in length and able to support themselves easily.

The leaf can also tell you a lot about the plant’s health with the most common signs being burn marks which indicate the plant is getting too much direct sun. Fine spotting on the leaves that look like tiny burns indicate cold damage and the fact that the plant needs more protection. This is very common in plants with burgundy or bi-coloured coloured leaves.

Other things to look for are the colour of the leaf tips; Brown leaf tips means not enough water while yellow leaf tips means too much water. Leaves going yellow in the centre of the plant often indicate rotting due to too much water. (Usually as a result of plant being left sitting in a saucer of water).

Often plants are stood in a saucer of water to increase humidity when they are inside the home, especially if it’s air conditioned. The thing is though, that more plants are killed by over watering than under-watering. If the plant is inside and you want to increase the humidity. Three quarters fill a plant saucer with pebbles and half fill with water. Although the plant is sitting on the pebbles it’s up clear of the water. Alternatively, cut a piece of fine wire mesh to fit over the top of the saucer and sit your plant on this after three quarters filling the saucer with water. Either of these methods will provide adequate humidity and keep your plant out of the water. Another thing when checking your plants for insect pests, always carefully examine the leaf, but more importantly, the underside of the leaf as this is where a lot of insects hide and are often overlooked.

That’s a handy little brom. collection comprising three different genera you scored at the show. I’ve always had a soft spot for Neo. ‘Marble Snow’ and the other marble throated types, they add just that different little dimension to any collection and Marble Snow in particular is a very good grower.

Neo. ‘Groucho’ is one of the many unusual coloured brom’s bred by Chester Skotak using (carolinae variegated x Hannibal Lector) as a parent in a breeding programme commenced around mid -2000 and they just seem to get better and better.
To see 22 examples, go to: http://registry.bsi.org/index.php?fields=Parents&id=11638 search=%28carolinae%20variegated%20x%20Hannibal%20Lector%29

I don’t know much about Orthophytums except to say they are more of a succulent type of bromeliad and require different growing conditions to say Neoregelias for example. The name on your plant isn’t correct either, it should be just Orthophytum ‘Warren Loose’; although Orthophytum gurkenii was the seed parent your plant was selected from a batch of seedlings as being superior and registered as Orthophytum ‘Warren Loose’. For some basic cultural information have a look at: http://wn.com/orthophytum

Till. Ionantha is one of the most popular Tillandsias around, and I think anyone who has Tillies has at least one of these attractive little plants which take very little care to grow to perfection.

Finally, Neo. Noble Descent; this is one of the toughest Neo’s around and one of the few that will tolerate almost full sun. It’s virtually indestructible and when given sufficient light will colour up to almost lime/yellow. There’s a good picture of what it’s capable of on page 113 of Andrew Steens, Bromeliads for the Contemporary Garden 2003 edition. I think that all in all you have chosen your plants wisely and they should provide you with much enjoyment.

Shirley – A while back when the Bromeliad Forum was going through a very quiet time and had fallen victim to Face Book like a lot of other good forums, I decided to try and re-create some interest. I started a thread called “Let’s See Some Pictures” and kicked it off with a single picture. It has since grown to 15 pages and been viewed 4,376 times. On a future cold, windy, rainy day when you’re looking for something to do, scroll down the index to “Photo Requests” and select “Let’s See Some Pictures”. I’m sure you won’t have any trouble passing the time away. Although there is a little bit of text, the majority of the posts are just pictures of brom’s and as the yanks say, real “Eye Candy”.

Thanks for putting the pic’s of Neo. ‘Captain Moxley’ and Neo. ‘Stellar Blast’ together for comparison. It’s strange when you do what I did and get a picture of something in your mind, (in my case Neo. ‘Captain Moxley’) and your pic of Neo. ‘Stellar Blast’ triggers of the image in such a way as I was certain they were the same plants and yet when you see them side by side they’re totally different. Looks like the old memory is playing tricks on me. Just to confuse us further, there is also a Neo. ‘Captain Moxley’s Ghost’
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=12298#12298
Anyway, they are all beautiful plants and by the look of them all beyond my budget.

I’ve always admired the colour of Neo.‘Fool’sGold’ and was sure I’d swapped a pup with someone (maybe even you), but I’ve looked high and low and can’t find it anywhere so I’ll have to ask you to please add it to my long list of “wants”.

It’s very interesting, but I’ve never seen Neo. ‘Balmoral’ before, but it does closely resemble a hybrid I made using Neo.’Bea Hanson’ as the seed parent. When I looked your plant up on the BCR, I find that Bea Hanson was its seed parent as well…..very, very strange.

It’s also uncanny when you compare your Neo. ‘Solar Storm’ with Neo. ‘Stellar Blast’ how the centre of the leaves look very similar and it’s just the leaf margins that makes one look like a reversal of the other. Could Neo.‘Solar Storm’ be an albo-marginated form of Neo.‘Stellar Blast’, or is my brain playing tricks on me again? Whatever they are, they are all very nice plants and as usual, grown to perfection.

Time to go again and I’ll leave you with a few more pic’s to finish with. Firstly, Neo. ‘Orange Glow’, this plant is interesting as it usually produces two pups at a time with one being variegated and the other being a NOVAR (Having no variegation). Pic.2 shows the NOVAR plant. Pic.3 is one I bought with the name of Neo. ‘Rain Cloud’ but have since seen an identical looking plant with another name which I can’t remember; any suggestions? Pic.4 is a hybrid of mine from Neo. ‘Painted Lady’ x ‘Orchid’ and Pic.5 is Neo. ‘Purple Glaze’.

All the best, Nev,

Merino, Australia

Hello all.
I have been outside planting a dozen bearded iris along the rock wall beside my unit. I am hoping they will brighten the area a bit more instead of just seeing grey rocks. The rocks were covered in nasturtiums which i removed during the week. They may be great plants for wide area where nothing will grow, but are a darn nuisance with their self seeding habits and long wandering tendrils.
I also planted another rose. I used the good old Roundup along the lawn edge to make a wider area for more roses.
I also have about 20 small dahlias to go along the front . A lot of my plants ( not the broms of course) are just green when not flowering so I thought the dahlias would brighten that area up.

My broms are staring to show some nice color after the warm days we have had.
I will get out and take pics later.
Nev, your variegated bill nutans is getting a flower and a pup. It is showing lots of spots too.
I was expecting the variegation to be striped.
Is this usual ?
I like the spots.
I have placed a few broms among the roses and daisies in the front. They get sun until around noon. I may have to move them back into more shade as the summer sun gets hotter.

Nev, going back a few days, I mentioned I had a small ae recurvata.
You were kind enough to show pics and give me the right name of recurvata benrathii. On checking mine closely , it has black in the center of each small plant.
I am pleased to have an unusual one and glad I bought it with me.

Brian, great plants you were able to buy.
Like Nev, I love my neo Noble Descent. It colors beautifully and also pups well.
You will enjoy having this one.

Shirley, love your pics and I must say I like your Captain Moxley.
Hope you are feeling a lot better now.

Trish great to hear you are getting a few things done up there.
I bought a few of my cymbids with me and they do well with the broms.

The sun is coming up above the clouds now so I had better get a few things done before it gets too warm.

I still have quite a few bulbs to plant in pots so will do that then I can sit in the shade and repot my phalaenopsis babies.
I bought 2 small pots with 3 in each which need their own pots now. They are doing well on the shelf in my lounge .

Hello to anyone I missed.
Take care and stay safe.

a couple of old pics until I get new ones...neos Noble Descent and Lila
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
Tascott, Australia

Hi all,

Been another great day up hear on the coast.
Started off being invited over to the neighbours house for a breakfast to introduce themselves, and to meet the people next-door to them who bought their house at the same time. Very friendly people and the food was excellent.

Layed around there for a couple of hours and then had to attack the lawn, after a lot of recent rain the weeds in the grass grow unbelievably well.

Jean, sounds like you are getting right into the gardening. Thanks for the pic of the Noble Descent, good to compare.

Shirley, I like the look of all your Neo's in your pics, especially the 'Fool's Gold'.

Nev, the little Neo Groucho I got has strange markings it is as if someone has run a red pen around it. I have an Alcantarea which is marked as a 'purple skotak'as well.

Thanks for the advise on the light requirements, the leaf colouring and condition, I suppose tells you how happy the plant is.

Hi to everybody else as well.

Pic 1 Neo Rien's Pride
Pic 2 Vr. Milky Way Erotica ( had to buy a Vriesea with flower to see what it looks like)
Pic 3 Neophytum 'Ralph Davis'
Pic 4 Till. tectorum enanum ( thought it was a dead Huntsman)
Pic 5 Not sure i cant make out the writing on the label.

Brian

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Well that’s another weekend over and another week closer to Christmas; gee it’ll soon be New Year.

Jean – Gee you’re really getting stuck into your garden; what you’ve accomplished in such a short time makes me feel very, very guilty. I watched a show on TV a while back and these yuppie chefs were making salads and putting in Nasturtium leaves and garnishing them with the flowers, they reckon the leaves taste a bit like Rocket; have you ever tried eating them?

Jean the variegated Bill. nutans does sometimes show a few pale coloured spots as well as the variegation, and when the light’s just right, it gets a pink flush through the leaves as well, quite the under rated little Bill.

I’m glad you have a nice recurvata var. benrathii, they are a nice little brom's and often burst out in flower when you least expect it. I just noticed today, a little hybrid I made several years ago from a cross of Ae. recurvata x Ae. caudata. It’s in flower and the flowers are yellow, so that’s an unexpected surprise.

Neo’s ‘Noble Descent’ and ‘Lila’ have both been around for a while, but as they say “oldies but still goodies” and as I wrote yesterday, ‘Noble Descent’ is a good tough plant for sunny locations and in my opinion it's one that should be in all collections.

Brian – You have two important jobs to do; firstly, introduce your two new neighbours to bromeliads and then introduce them to us and join them up to this site.

Neo. ‘Riens Pride’ is a lovely compact little plant which was bred in 1991 from a crossing of Neo.’Fairy Paint’ x ‘Fairy Paint’. It’s main attraction are the red leaf-tips which really “glow” and almost become iridescent during flowering (at anthesis).

I think the name on your Vriesea is more likely to be Vr. Milky Way x Vr. Erotica as these are two separate plants. You can’t register a plant with a formula name as it defeats the purpose of the BCR. I’ll post a pic of each as well as a pic of the Erotica flower and it will be interesting to see the comparison between it and yours when it flowers.

Neo.’Groucho’ is another of Costa Rica’s Chester Skotak’s hybrids, and like many he’s recently made using the parent (carolinae variegated x ‘Hannibal Lector’), it has that unusual combination of colours. I’ve never seen a picture of the actual (carolinae variegated x ‘Hannibal Lector’) parent he uses, but as Neo.’Hannibal Lector’ has horizontal banding and the carolinae is variegated, it’s possible it has this unusual combination of colours as well and is passing them on to its progeny; well that’s my theory anyway.

He has bred 21 others using this same parent. A few of these are ‘Aftershock’, ‘Amigo’, ‘Banshee’, Blushing zebra’ and others which all have similar colouring and supports what I’m thinking also. If you type (carolinae variegated x Hannibal Lector) into the search engine of the BCR and highlight the button marked “Parents” you can view all 22 of them.

The plant xNeophytum 'Ralph Davis' is a bi-generic cross between Orthophytum navioides and Neoregelia 'Meyendorffii', but it doesn’t end there because it produced a beautiful variegated sport which was later registered as the famous and popular xNeophytum ‘Galactic Warrior’. (See Pic.5)

Till. Tectorum is certainly an eye catching plant and when it gets a bit of age and grows as large as the one which won grand champion at our recent show, it’s quite “spectacular”.

Finally, I think your last plant is Neo. ‘Pemiento’, I don’t seem to have a picture on file so I’ll take one today and post it tomorrow for comparison.

Once again, you have a good variety of different plants in your pictures, and thanks for sharing with us and keep them coming.

I’ll finish with a few pic’s of plants I’ve spoken about above; Pic.1 is one of my Neo.‘Noble Descent’ plants for comparison, Pic.2 is Jack Koning’s Vr. Milky Way, Pic.3 is Vr. ‘Erotica’, Pic.4 is a flower from Vr. ‘Erotica’ and finally Pic. 5 is xNeophytum ‘Galactic Warrior’.

All the best, Nev.

well reading what Jean & Nev have said about the variegated Bill nutans I am really kicking myself for missing the chance to buy one.

I thought it was just stripey - bit like good old Spider plant to look at.

At one stage I considered keeping a note of the broms pictured here that I really liked so I would know what to buy given the chance...
that note would be a ring binder full by now ;)

Pretty much every set of photos has at least one plant to covet.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick post as I have to go back to the vets as my little Jack Russell Lucy is in a bit of pain after an avocado of all things dropped from a great height and hit her nearly middle of the back, she has been in a lot of pain and does not like me touching her back at all letting out cries if I do so, she can walk but cant jump up onto anything so we have to carry her if she wants to sit on the couch or get in the car etc. We spent most of Sunday night at the vets with a follow-up check-up this morning, nothing broken but everything is tight and sore with swelling and bruising making it really uncomfortable for her no matter how she sits so she lays down as it's more comfortable for her. The vet said it was fine for me to give her some back massages once she can handle it but for now she naturally does not want anyone going anywhere near her back because she is that sore the poor darling. She has been sleeping a lot but I have been getting her up and about to have little walks around the garden and she likes that although she is not that good going down the stairs outside so I take her the long way around where there are no stairs so it's more comfortable for her. I took the day off today because I wanted to keep a close eye on her aside from the lack of sleep I had last night (2hrs at the most). It has been awfully windy over here the whole weekend with a lot of avocado's and mangoes' dropping out of the trees. I got hit yesterday by a small mango (about the size of an egg) and it really hurt so I can imagine how much pain Lucy would have been in after a 1/2kg (approx. 700grm) avocado hit her back; anyway I will have to catch-up with you all later on sometime this week but just thought I would quickly pop in to let you all know why I have been missing in action this weekend.

Trish

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Nev, I have to say that cold, windy, rainy days when I’m looking for something to do are very few and far between but I will try to take a look at ‘Lets see some pictures’ on the Brom Forum.

Captain Moxley’s Ghost is a stunner Nev but still way out of my price range. My neo Fools Gold hasn’t pupped yet but when it does, I’ll be sure to save one for you.

I have never had a novar pup from my neo Orange Glow though I did buy one without variegation with the same name but without the novar following the name.

Jean, sounds like your garden is coming along nicely. I am feeling much better now, thanks.

Brian, nice pics. I think your pic 5 is neo Margaret. Then again, I just read Nev’s post and it could be neo Pemiento … they are quite similar, and both lovely.

Trish, so sorry to hear about poor Lucy’s back pain, I reckon an avo that size would really have to hurt. Hope she’s feeling a little better now.

My pics tonight are four of my favourites of Nev’s seedlings

1 – neo Noble Descent x Gold Fever
2 – neo Africa x Dark Side
3 – neo Brushstrokes x concentrica
4 – neo Mandela x Blackout

I’m guessing the photos haven’t loaded correctly as there is a small black box in the top left with a cross in it but I’ll see how it goes.

Bye for now, Shirley

Brisbane, Australia

Nope ... no pics, sorry. I'll try again later.

Brisbane, Australia

Seems to be working now ...

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Nothing interesting to report today, yesterday was just a continuation of my long overdue re-potting.

Teresa – I like what you say about the “ring binder full”; that’s exactly what happens, and the longer you’ve been into growing brom’s the thicker that binder gets and before you know it you are starting a second one.

Trish – So sorry to hear about little Lucy, I know what I’d be doing to the mango tree if a falling fruit can cause that much pain; I’d either cut it down or put a light fence around it to keep animals and people from beneath it whilst it was in fruit. I read somewhere once that the greatest cause of death in some of the island countries was from falling coconuts; just something we never think about I guess, but then when you think of the weight of a coconut it’s not hard to imagine the damage they could cause.

When I was a kid we had a dog who hurt his back also, I’m not sure, he may have been hit by a car as in those times no one bothered about front fences where I lived. Anyway, for a couple of weeks after, he would spend most of his time lying with his back to the old fuel stove in the kitchen, I guess he got some relief from the warmth.

Animals are much more intelligent than we give them credit for, and when they’re injured or sick, they rest and don’t do things that aggravate their pain; in other words they listen to their body and act accordingly, and humans could handle their own medical problems much better if they took notice of how animals approach them.

I think the biggest mistake a person can make with an injured animal is rushing in and moving it; and although meaning well, we need to remember the animal will have got itself into a position which aggravates the pain the least and moving them into a different position could exacerbate the problem. The most basic treatment is the best, let the animal rest, provide plenty of fluids, and keep them warm.

After saying all of that though, I must say it’s great to see a dedicated pet owner who thinks more of her animals than going to work and earning some almighty dollars.

Shirley – All of the wonderful new hybrids that Chester Skotak is currently making are all out of my price range also. It’s all about supply and demand and at present the “demand” very much outweighs the “supply”, but this will change; and as they become more plentiful the price will come down, I just have to try and hang around long enough until that happens.

Your mention of “NOVAR” plants prompts me to mention that I’d never heard of the term until about seven years ago when it was a topic on a forum discussion somewhere. It was mentioned that some of the more responsible U.S. nursery owners were adding this to the names of these plants to avoid any confusion.

Before I go further I should explain to our newer members what the word “NOVAR” stands for. It’s an abbreviation for “no variegation” (NO VARiegation) and is applied to a non-variegated pup produced from a variegated Mother plant or as defined in the FCBS Glossary: “Novar: - A term used where a cultivar is registered as a variegated plant and ‘loses’ its variegation”

Based on what I have read, my interpretation of the application of the word NOVAR is as follows: To give an example, Neo. ‘Orange Glow’ as pictured in my second picture on Oct.18th is once such plant. Although called Neo. ‘Orange Glow’ NOVAR, it can legitimately be sold as just Neo. ‘Orange Glow’ even though it isn’t variegated. This is because even though it’s a “sport” without the variegation, it’s still a pup from Neo. ‘Orange Glow’ and automatically takes the Mother’s name.

Because it is different, it can of course be registered under a different name which would ideally solve any confusion, but in many cases this never happens and it’s left to responsible growers to add the word NOVAR after the name to identify what it is and where it comes from, and this will only happen if they know what is meant by NOVAR in the first place and it isn’t widely publicised.

I don’t think it’s an accepted and compulsory rule that it must be added to the name, and consequently there are still a lot of plants around without NOVAR on the name simply due to the fact that all growers aren’t aware of what this means. I think in the case of the non-variegated Neo.‘Orange Glow’ you bought without NOVAR on the name is an example of what I’m talking about so now you have two entirely different plants, one plain, and one variegated and both called Neo. ‘Orange Glow’; best you get to work with the marking pen on the name tag Shirley.

I don’t know of, and had never seen a picture of Neo. ‘Margaret’ and when you mentioned it I went looking on the BCR. It is mentioned there but unfortunately there isn’t a pic, so over to the old faithful FCBS site and there it is as No.2347 and as you said it’s very much like the plant in Brian’s picture. Don’t take a lot of notice of the bars on the leaves as this may just be a seasonal thing caused by temperature changes and as Mulford Foster the hybridiser says in his description on the BCR, "Leaves semi-glabrous - maroon with dark maroon spines and deep rose leaf tips". (No mention of any bars). I’m attaching a pic of my Neo. 'Pemiento' for comparison and I guess it’s now up to Brian to tear his hair out while deciding the name of his plant, although I suspect that Neo. 'Pemiento' would be more widely grown in the Sydney area.

Nice pic’s Shirley; and I’m always interested in seeing how some of my babies have tuned out. Those four are showing some nice colour and at this stage No.1 is my pick. I have no idea where the darker coloured spotting came from but then that’s what makes hybridising so interesting; that unknown extra feature inherited from somewhere in the past family history.

The Neo ‘Mandela’ x ‘Blackout’ cross was made with the aim of producing dark coloured plants but up until now none have shown this quality which once again supports what I said above.

Your plants all still have a bit more growing to do until flowering and the colours can change even more between now and then so I guess more progress pictures at anthesis would be appreciated.

Once again my mouth has run away from me and I’ve talked too much, so I’d better finish with a few pictures. Pic. 1 is Neo.’Pemiento’ for Brian to compare with the plant he bought. Pic’s 2 and 3 are both of Vriesea ‘Orange Sundae’ and they show the amazing part light can play in plant colour. The plant in Pic.2 has been grown in low light and the plant in Pic.3 grown in high light. Pic’s 4 and 5 are a couple of Lambert’s Pride hybrids I made; Pic.4 is Neo.’Lambert’s Pride x (‘Charm’ x ‘Cracker Jack’) and Pic.5 is Neo.’Thunderbird x ‘Lambert’s Pride’.

All the best, Nev.

Trish - poor Lucy!
It's awful when out pets are hurt.
Sugar sends sympathetic licks.

Nev - what a great example of the difference light can make.

Was visiting Mum & she showed me some plants a friend gave her.
One is variegated & looked like Bil Nutans from a distance.
Mum gave me a couple of bits and on closer examination they are more like a iris.
My bits are plain green - hope they develop the stripes.

Tascott, Australia

Hi Everybody,

Trish, sorry to hear about your dog. Sounds like a bit of laying around for a while will do it good, tough little dogs though for their size.

Teresa, who is Sugar?

Shirley, nice pics you uploaded, especially like pic 1.

Nev, you are correct with the Neo. 'Pemiento' in my last post as I can make out a few of the letters and Pemiento fits.
I looked on the BCR for the list of 22 plants from (carolinae variegated x ‘Hannibal Lector’)
parent and Neo. 'Captain Moxley' is one of these. All have unusual markings on them.
Are you saying the Till. Tectorum is capable of growing as large as that massive display plant in the middle of the table at your show. Should it be on a backing board of some sort? Maybe the gal mesh might not be the best thing for it to lay against.
Neophytum ‘Galactic Warrior’ picture you showed is a stunner.

Hi to Jean as well.

Pic 1 marked as Neo. Cruenta x Gold Fever
Pic 2 marked as Ae. filodensist wielbachii ( cant find anything about it )
Pic 3 Neomea 'Strawberry'
Pic 4 Neo Gympie Delight ( ended up with two of them for some reason)

Brian

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Once again nothing exciting to report just more re-potting done with still much more to do.

Teresa – I’ll bet you thought you’d finally got your plant of Bill. nutans variegated and right from where you’d least expected it to come from. I guess you’ll just have to wait and see what it turns out to be. Do you have a pic.?

Brian – It seems like we have similar taste as Shirley’s No.1 Pic was the one I liked also.

Pleased to hear that at least we’ve been able to sort out the identity of you Neo. ‘Pemiento’ and you were able to confirm it with a bit of detective work on the name tag.

I thought you’d like the 22 plants I mentioned on the BCR; there are some amazing colour combinations there and it makes us wonder just where it will all end. One thing for sure though, I’ll bet Chester Skotak will still be playing a big part in the process years from now as he seems to be the “Guru” who’s leading the field in this area of fantastic colours.

Regarding your Till. tectorum, I’m sorry but I’m not a Tilly grower and can’t advise you from my own knowledge, however to took this as an opportunity to do a bit of detective work and see what I could find out.

Firstly I found there are four different forms listed on the FCBS Photo Index list of Tillandsia species at location 517. One of these forms is listed as Till. tectorum forma gigantean which as the name suggests is a large form and could be the same as the one the lady in our society exhibited at the show. Incidentally, she did tell me that she’s had her particular plant “for years” so that may also have contributed to the large size.

Now to get back to your plant; I couldn’t find any listed as Till. Tectorum enanum on the species listing, although I noticed that three of these have had name changes over the years (Taxonomists love to do this) which prompted another possible line of investigation under listed hybrids. Once again no Till. Tectorum enanum is listed.

I then decided to see if it was listed under just Till. Enanum; again “no dice”, but there was one listed as Till. Enano which started me wondering if the name on your label was misspelled so I looked up this one, and as the man on the TV says, “that’s not all folks” and I found the following:

Name: Tillandsia 'Enano'
Remarks: A form of ?T. tectorum sold by Krauspe in the 1980's as enanum minor. Plant thriving in AU. Petals totally blue.

So to me it seems likely that your plant is possibly Till. ‘Enano’ which would have been sold as Till. Tectorum enanum minor and somehow the “minor” has been omitted from the name as sometimes happens.

All you have to do now is wait until it flowers and see what colour the petals are. The name enanum minor suggests a smallish plant but on the other hand there may also be just a plain Till. Enanum which isn’t listed, who knows. The fact that your plant still has the name enanum only suggests that the previous grower wasn’t aware of any name changes and it’s still being sold under the old name.

You also ask, “Should it be on a backing board of some sort? Maybe the gal mesh might not be the best thing for it to lay against”.

All I can tell you is that any I’ve ever seen down here are usually mounted on cork or wood of some kind. As for the mesh, I have found that the zinc in newish gal mesh will burn the foliage of Neo’s and Aechmeas where they touch it, however I have seen pictures of Tillandsia nurseries in U.S. where they are grown just laying on benches of wire netting so maybe this has weathered and the zinc is no longer active. To be on the safe side I think if it were my plant I would mount it on cork or wood which we know is harmless.

Today I’ll again finish with some random pic’s from around the yard. Pic.1 is Ae. ‘Pie in the Sky’, it’s quite a handy little brom with its variegated leaves in two shades of green. When the inflorescence first appears it looks like an orange coloured cone, then the yellow flowers open and when they die it appears as an orange coloured cone once more and stays this way for some months. Pic.2 is a plant named Neo.’Blue Blood’ (even though it isn’t blue). It’s probably wrongly named as it’s nothing like the one on the BCR, so probably another NOID. Pic.3 shows a couple of Neo.’Rosy Morn’ pups just starting to colour while Pic. 4 shows the variations possible within the same grex in these two hybrids from a cross made by Sue from Neo. ‘Marble Throat’ x ‘Prinsler’. Pic.5 is Neo. ‘Catlan’s Leopard’ a beautiful Neo. concentrica hybrid..

All the best, Nev.

Hi all, by time I read the posts and drool over all the photos a couple of hours have disappeared and it's time for bed. I was amazed at the difference the lighting conditions made in the leaf colour of your vriesea 'Orange Sundae' Nev. It emphasises the helpful information about lighting conditions you have provided. Most of my broms are planted in my garden so moving them to see how they do in differing light conditions isn't an easy option. I'm gathering that most of you keep your broms in pots or mounted. Is there any reason for this other than portability? I need to go through the posts and do some cut and pasting on the information everyone has kindly provided so I can refer to it.
Trish I hope poor Lucy is recovering now, what a horrible thing to happen to her.
Hope you all have a great week, Diane

Nev - Neo Catlan's Leopard is on my wish list... I just love it - purple is my favourite colour & the markings are so attractive.
Quite like your Neo Blue Blood - again the allure of purple.
And Ae. Pie in the Sky is an interesting one, the variegation is quite subtle.

Brian - Sugar is my Dalmatian, a 3 year old girl that is as sweet as her name implies but too much Sugar can be bad for you & her other name is "Weasel".
It is just a little more socially acceptable to blurt out 'you little weasel!' when she does clever things like run off in the middle of a competition Rally-Obedience round.

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Guess what, I’ve found Colleen and hopefully we’ll be hearing from her again soon.

Dianne – Let me start by saying firstly that not all Vrieseas will respond to extremes of light like Vr. 'Orange Sundae' does, but there are others and Vr. Evita and Vr. Asahi are two more that come to mind. Other plants will react in a more subtle manner, but there are changes in colour nevertheless.

The beauty and main attraction of bromeliads I think is the fact that they are so versatile. They will grow in the garden, in pots, hanging baskets, mounted on living trees, mounted on driftwood or old bush timber and even will grow on rocks, and growers of these wonderful plants have them growing in all of these different situations.

Pots however are probably the most unnatural way to grow them, but the most popular nevertheless, and as you said is mainly due to portability. I grow my plants in all of the situations mentioned above, but the greater majority are in pots, simply for convenience and being able to move them around until I find the ideal spot for them. Although I grow a lot of plants in pots, they aren’t all on benches as I have probably twice as many hanging at various levels throughout the shade houses.

It’s true that in the garden the plants will grow much larger as their roots can roam and find the moisture and nutrients they require whereas in pots they are confined and restricted to what you provide for them. It is interesting though that some plants will tell you what they want if you really look at them.

Take Aechmea orlandiana and Quesnelia Liboniana as examples, if you plant them in a pot and they do their best to grow out of it. When the new pup comes up it usually heads over the side of the pot; this can be interpreted as them telling you they don’t want to grow in a pot. Take them out and mount them on a tree, and they will grow twice as quick. Another reason why we can learn a lot by just looking at our plants.

Your idea of cutting and pasting snippets of information is a good one as all of the Bromeliad Forums are a wealth of information and different ideas from different growers, some of which may suit your requirements and some that won’t. On some of the bigger Brom Forums there is an archive section where everything is on file and it more or less becomes an “on line” bromeliad encyclopedia from the past to the present and to which information is constantly being added.

Teresa – Yes Catlan’s Leopard is a really nice plant, but once again, you have to get the light just right to get the best colours. The history of this plant tells us that it was bred by John Catlan who is a Queensland grower and hybridiser. It is thought this plant was the result of a selfing of a select clone of the species Neo. concentrica which is also a firm favourite of mine (and another with a purple centre). According to the BCR it can grow a mature rosette to 90cm which is a massive Neoregelia. Mine has never got larger than 45cm which makes me think that the 90cm plant was possibly grown in a garden situation.

Now for a few pic’s to finish, Pic 1 is Neo.’Fairy Tale’ which is very similar to Neo.’ Rain Cloud’ which I posted on the 18th, Pic.2 is Neo.’concentrica x (Charm x Cracker Jack), Pic.3 is Neo.’Painted Lady x concentrica), Pic.4 is Sue’s plant of Neo. ‘Ashanti’ and Pic. 5 is one of my newer hybrids, Neo.’Darkside x Mesmerise. It’s nothing in the shape department but the colour’s nice and I’ll give it another year to improve a bit before I toss it.

All the best, Nev.

Tascott, Australia

Hi everybody,

Summer type day here today, might get a storm later.

Teresa, in the first pic is Sugar /Weasel running around the jump?

Nev, thanks for all the info you looked up about the Till.tectorum, I will just have to wait until it flowers to see what it is.

Your photo of Neo. Catlins Leopord is a stunner. Teresa's idea of keeping a record of all the favourite plants you see is a good idea, gives you something to look for when buying rather than just buying them blind.

Nice to hear from you again Diane.

Anyhow, better go and do some bookwork (great).

A couple of pics of plants about to flower.

Brian

Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM Thumbnail by SBMLM
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

sorry I've been AWOL. It's too late now to post tonight but I'll be back soon.

My pic - a nice toothy neo Macho hybrid

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.