OCTOBER time for 'mums and pumpkins!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!! I'm up to 27 cats and they call me the CAT lady now. It is a zoo here.

It just breaks my heart, Sandra that Cayla is still in so much pain. I wonder if she tried a bath instead of a shower? I know what you must be going through watching her suffer and nothing you can do about it. Mary said to tell you she is also praying for Cayla's healing and for strength for you!!!

With all this happening to Cayla have any of you thought about taking Eli, Trick or Treating tonight? It might do you good and I'm sure he will love it.

Ripley, MS

Bryan is going to take him to the square, different churches and businesses will decorate their cars and give candy out of the trunks. I can make it until noon tomorrow. He has a camo army outfit to wear !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That's a good place for Bryan to take Eli. I know he will really enjoy it! So many churches do that now (mine does) and makes for a safer and better place for kids to go.

When my grandsons were small I had the store and couldn't go out to see them Christmas so I would always go Holloween. We would go over to a friend of Jeff and Kristi's house and we would all go together in their neighborhood. There were 9 of us. Five kids and 4 adults. Then we would all eat together at their house and the kids would count their candy! Good memories! The first year the twins went, Justin had such a good time he wanted to wear his costume the next day. He wore it all day and wanted to go back out treat or treating that night. Try explaining you only do it one night to a 2 year old! Jeff ended up calling a friend down the street and asked if he could bring him down to treat or trick!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Charlotte, Brooklyn & Peyton have been doing it for 2 weeks it seems with the grand finale, tonight. Our church hosted Journey Fest (I go to Journey Church) last Wed. night. Last year we had over 2000 people come. There are inflatables and free food and good music. Just like the fair but free. This year we moved to the BREC park and took up 8 baseball fields. I haven't heard yet how many but it looked like more than 2000. We did funnel fries, fry them and sprinkle powdered sugar on them and they are good to me hot or cold.

I saw Eli's picture and he is adorable as usual. Did he like it?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That's the same kind of thing our church does. I go to a mega church and the church building is not very old and the church sits on several acres and has several ball fields on the church property as well. I noticed a church somewhere (can't even remember where but in LR) that actually had a whole carnival set up - big carnival rides! Remember now! It was a church on the interstate going toward Bryant. Could hardly miss it with all the lights and ferris wheels, etc!!

We went out to dinner and just got home. I'm amazed!!! I haven't been out on halloween night in a long time. We usually stay in. But tonight Richard's grand daughter went to the ball game at her school rather than going out trick or tricking. She usually comes by here. Getting older now - she'll be 11 next month. I didn't get out on the major streets to go to the restaurant. I went through several neighborhoods. Coming back there were cars parked everywhere with their flashers on. Never seen so many cars and kids!!!! One street I came down was one way and I had to just stop and wait for about 5 minutes for the people to get out of my way. One lady was pushing a stroller with a kid in it and she was just stopped in front of me in the middle of the street!!! Kids were running across the street without looking at all. I was scared to death one of them was going to run into my car! These were not kids from the neighborhood. I live at the end of a long street that becomes a cul de sac and I'm in the cul de sac part of the street. We get a few that will drive down and let their kids out but just a few. I guess that's why I was so amazed at the number of cars dropping off big car loads of kids! I didn't even turn my light on. I love to have the neighborhood kids come by but I don't turn my lights on for the whole world to come by!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well I spoke too soon!!! Cars are streaming my down street with flashers on. Ridiculous! Every car has tons of kids in it. None are neighborhood kids. I can only see one neighbor that still has their lights on. There may be one or two that I can't see.

As you can see I'm on a rant!!! To me kids should go to the houses in their neighborhood that they can walk to. If they are small, parents need to walk down the street with them.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The grands are doing a hay ride whileTrick or Treating in a friends neighborhood. It is suppose to be our coldest so far tonight, so I have been moving plants in and empty pots out. I think our low will be 39 and then 36 tomorrow and then lows of 60 Mon. Mary is already starting to get sick.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

It got down in the low 30's here last night. I was scurrying around last night bringing some things in and put some things under the pergola and covered them with plastic bins. They look alright today. I'm really cutting back on what I bring in. Just don't have the time to do it. I also I'm using the workshop now so I'm really limiting what I put in there. The main thing I'm keeping are my begonias. I'm scattering them around the sunroom and den. My EE's I'll cram together in a space in the workshop. My alocasias I'll just dig up and stand up in a cardboard box in the corner of the workshop somewhere. I do love my begonias and have a number of varieties of them. It's too hard to start over with them every year and some varieties are too hard to find. I cut my Christmas cactus way back last year and gave the cuttings to Dian at Hopes and Dreams. Brought it in yesterday and it's loaded with buds. It had gotten so big it was unmanageable. I'm going to start cutting it back every year.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean, Charlotte. I cut back on my potted plants this year. Last night I didn't even bring any of them in. I was so tired I didn't even worry about it. They were fine. I don't think it got quite as cold as they thought but it was around 32 this morning with wind chills in the 20's, and there were places on the mountains that has snow flurries. We have been working in the yard this morning. I didn't come in for lunch til 1:30 but I am done for now. Picked a basket full of green tomatoes, a hunch of peppers, cut back my asters, coneflowers, and some other things that are done. Look what I found blooming! This just doesn't seem right! Well, except for the Confederate Rose, which always blooms this time of year. It will be done with the first real frost. I really was surprised at the iris. I had another DL blooming a couple of weeks ago and there are still buds on it.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

Charlotte, I forgot to say...one of our grandsons wore out his costume one year. He was Spiderman and he loved his costume. He wore it every day. Almost had it worn out before Halloween and my DIL had to put it away for a while so it wouldn't fall apart. Our son said he had many strange looks in Target when he was carrying around a barefoot 'Spider-Man' (he hated shoes) in November. So things haven't changed much with kids, Lol!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

An iris blooming this time of year is unusual! It's supposed to be cold here again tonight but I didn't have time to do anything with plants today so they will just have to do the best they can! I realized this morning I had put my Mickey Mouse EE in the ground did dig it up first thing this morning. It was fine. I was so busy this afternoon the time literally flew by. Richard has a hard time getting the tv channels right. He called me asking about his football game that was to start at 6:15. I told him would be home before it started - not to worry about it. After I hung up I looked at my watch and realized it was just a few minutes before 6. I thought it was about 4 pm!!!

Elaine my grandson was Tiger and it was a hot costume! It also had a thing that went on his head. He was burning up in that suit but wouldn't take it off! He was eating dinner with sweat pouring down his face! Kristi learned to just go with the flow. When he got a helmet to ride is bike he wore it out to eat Chinese food one night when I was out there! A nice Chinese place not a fast food place.

Sandra how is Cayla!

Ripley, MS

No difference, Charlotte, the meds are helping her. I am home for a few hours--LOL-- going back Monday morning. Before I left this morning she had a sore throat to join the party !

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Poor thing!!! This weather has everyone feeling bad here!!!! I'm praying that I don't get sick. I didn't get my flu shot until last Wed. so I have 2 weeks before it takes effect. We've already had 1 case of flu diagnosed here in Central. Terrie went and got 2 allergy shots Friday.

Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight. Don't want to be messed up tomorrow.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I know your bed felt good to you last night! Hope you get a little rest while you are at home. That extra hour this morning was really nice!! But I don't look forward to it getting dark so early.

I have told my used to be next door neighbors now in assisted living that I would take us all to Mt Magazine this fall. I think this week is probably going to be when I need to do it. I have been been taking us all up to Petit Jean but the last time we went there he mentioned he would like to go Mt Magazine sometime. So I told him we would do that. It's about a 2 hour drive from here so it will be an all day trip. We'll eat at the lodge.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Has anyone heard from Sandra? Isn't this the day Cayla was going to the doctor?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Today was Cayla's Dr. appt. but I haven't heard anything.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Just texted Sandra and she said it was a disaster at the Dr. They are sending her to a pain clinic. They haven't gotten back to Cayla's. They got caught in 5:00 traffic in Memphis and sat 45 minutes behind a wreck. She said they left Cayla's at 10:30 this morning and that Cayla has cried most of the day.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

So sorry to hear that!! I've been thinking about them all day. To think that she went in to have her hip fixed for the pain and now she has pain all over her body!! I feel so sorry for her.

I bet it's raining in Memphis. It's rained here all day and wrecks everywhere. They were showing on the news tonight that there was a horrible 7 vehicle wreck on I40 in the West Memphis area. It happened around noon today and they are still clearing the road. Two tractor trailers were involved and two people were killed. Hope that wasn't what they are tied up in. They did mention the rain in Memphis in the report now that I think of it.

I'm planning to take my used to be neighbors (the ones now in assisted living) and Richard to Mt. Magazine tomorrow. The rain is supposed to clear tonight and the sun is supposed to shine tomorrow. I sure hope the forecast is accurate. My neighbor is the one that wants to go to Mt Magazine. I told him we would go when the leaves were pretty. Tomorrow is the only day this week I can go. His wife has Alzheimer's also and he has macular degeneration. Richard really enjoys going places with them and they with us. So it's a good outing for all of us and as Richard has pointed out I'm the only one that can drive!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I have to agree with you 100% about how awful this is for Cayla and the entire family. It is a nightmare!!! The Dr. that they saw today had helped out when this happened and Sandra said that he would not even give her anything for the pain. Referred them back to the surgeon for any meds and a pain clinic. I don't know very much about Pain clinics but I've heard they just hand out meds. I've tried to get Mary into one but she absolutely doesn't need someone else giving her medicine.

We looked like we were gonna get rain all day but nothing. Maybe tomorrow!!

I hope Yall have a nice day tomorrow. I'm not sure what Mr. Magazine is, but I'm sure just getting out for a spell will do everyone good. Charlotte you are indeed a special person to take your time with this couple. Everyone is so busy that a couple like that could easily be forgotten.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Mt. Magazine is a state park with a beautiful view. Sort of like Peti Jean but further away. I've taken them to Peti Jean several times and the last time we went he said he would really like to go to Mt Magazine sometime. I don't think he has ever been there. It will take a good 2 hours to get there but it will be a beautiful drive. It takes 2 hours whether you go by interstate part of the way or back roads all the way. I'm going to do the back road all the way. I'm hoping the leaves are really pretty. The rain has quit so I'm guessing we will have sunshine tomorrow.

I agree with you about the pain management places. Richard has some problems with his back about 10 years ago and they ended up sending him to a pain management clinic. It was unbelievable the pills they gave him! I finally went with him one time and was horrified at what was going on. I insisted that he go to another doctor. The new doctor he went to got him off a bunch of the stuff they were giving him and he was so much better after he reduced his meds. A friend of mine's doctor sent her to one recently and she only went one time. She said everyone in the waiting room was zoned out! No Mary doesn't need to go to a pain management clinic. Their idea of pain management seems to be to put you in a zombie state!

I just hope Cayla gets some relief from the pain soon. I'm sure she is also very depressed from all that has happened as well as being in pain. So sorry for her and like you said for the whole family! It affects them all.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That sounds really nice Charlotte!! I know that Yall will enjoy yourselves!!! It's nice to just get away some times even if it's just an hour or so. It will do Yall a world of good!!! Good view, good food and good friends!!! What more is there? LOL!!!

I know that Sandra and Cayla are just about ready to drop! Been a long disappointing day. God willing the answer will come tomorrow!!

I was thinking about Sandra and Cayla this morning. Didn't realize they had already been! Good grief, after waiting so long to see this Doctor and then not get any results must be very disappointing. I'm so sorry Cayla is still in pain and still no relief for what she went for in the first place. Sandra, I know you know we're thinking of you and praying for relief for Cayla's pain. We know you'll be on top of everything they try to do for her.

Charlotte, hope you and Richard enjoy you trip to Mt Magazine. Sounds like a wonderful day. It's been raining here but the sun came out this morning. Should be great. The leaves here have finally turned this past weekend and are pretty.

My friend Renata is supposed to start chemo today. We had a little girls get-together Tuesday night to celebrate starting this journey. She's ready but had a bladder infection kick-up and started antibiotics for that. They won't start chemo today if that hasn't cleared up so she's hoping there is no delay.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Good luck to Renata that the infection has cleared up. Chemo is very hard on some people and then on others you don't even realize they have taken it. I think it all depends on mind over matter as in most everything. I pray that she has the strength to endure the chemo without any complications. Do you know yet what kind she is taking? Mary had always taken a combination of Taxil and Carboplaxen(sp) then she had a reaction to the Carboplaxen and they had to leave it out of the last 5 months of her treatments and that is why they think the tumor doubled in size. She is now taking Doxil. We're also praying that she doesn't have any bad reactions to this new med.

Jeri, I have no idea and I don't think she knows (or is not talking about it). Once her daughters get back in town we may find out more from them.

Hey Jeri! Just had to give you a shout-out about the big game tomorrow night. I'm sure you all will be watching! And I just have to say a big 'Roll Tide Roll', lol! It should be a huge game, very close and always interesting with these two teams play. I just always pray none of those young boys get hurt. Too much of that already this season.

Enjoy!

Ripley, MS

Yes, I know you all are keeping up the prayers for us and it is very much appreciated. I stayed on the phone most of the day yesterday trying to find a clinic that will take her Tenn Care (Medicaid). Seems something is going on here because a couple I called said they had suspended taking it and didn't know if or when they would take it again.
Right now the plan is to see her Nurse Practioner that gave her a refill last week this afternoon.
They are trying to get all her records together for documentation that she needs immediate care. The one they work with does take her insurance, but does not have an opening until Dec 9th. They told me yesterday afternoon if I had not gotten a call from them by 1pm for me to call them and they would work her in this afternoon. The clinic here in Ripley TN (Pain clinic) is only staffed a couple of days a month as it is a satellite from somewhere else, but if she gets accepted that her nurse practitioner can write her scripts.
Jerry and Amanda both are worried about her taking so much medicine, but they are not looking at her when the meds start wearing off and seeing the pain she is in every day like I am. I hate for her to have to take it too but she has to have some relief and that seems the only way to go right now. If she becomes addicted we will just have to go through rehab when she gets well. All she is taking right now is not completely easing her, just making it bearable. I will stay through the weekend because I am not sure what they will do today and if there is a change of meds, I think I need to be here to moniter it. Bryan loves her, but he is a man and you know how that goes. They will do what you want, after you finally get it through to them but Cayla only gets more irritated and anxious trying to make him understand. Also if she can't write her script today, I will be giving her my Percoset 10's until she can get some more. The weeks worth the nurse gave her last Thursday are almost gone.
Love you all

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I'm so sorry Cayla (and you) are having to go through all this. Yes you can see pain in a person's face. And when they are in that kind of pain they need relief through meds.

The problem I saw with the pain clinic Richard went to (and they certainly may not all be that way) is that they gave out pills like crazy. Beyond when the pills were actually necessary. It seemed to me that if they got you hooked on it, it was their way of keeping you as a paying patient. You wouldn't believe the condition they had gotten Richard in. He had lost weight to the point it was not healthy. He is not a small man. He is 6 ft and weighed 200 lbs and he had lost down to 135. He could barely function. He looked so bad that his life long friend that now lives in Alabama came to visit and when he saw him he started crying. The doctor I took him too also believed that he was actually dying. As he gradually started reducing the meds and he actually started eating more he got to looking so much better and could actually function. Every time I would take him to see the doctor he would tell Richard "you know she saved your life".

Ripley, MS

That is the only thing that seems to be working right on Cayla is her appetite she is eating everything she can get. I think one day she ate lunch 3 times !
I just hope she doesn't gain that 70 pounds back.

Going to the doc at 2

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes we are getting ready for that big game!!! I agree that we don't need any more players hurt on either team!!! Saying all of that… I hope when them Roll Tides hit our levee they spat!!! Sorry, Elaine!!!

I understand how you are thinking Sandra but some of those meds are really hard to kick. I'm praying that with each day Cayla will find some relief!!! Can she tell any difference at all?

Ripley, MS

No Caylas pain is no less now than the day she left the hospital.
Yes, I understand about the medicine, but, the only narcotic she has is a 7.5 Percocet
She does have Valium, but the doctor we saw today, which is her regular doctor here in Ripley spent an hour and a half with her and has made some changes. She cut her Valium in half, but wants her to take it on schedule, 3 times a day. She doubled her neurontin and added Lyrica. The Lyrica dose will have to be built up starting a 1 a day for 3 days. She refilled her Percocet and she is going to call the pain doctor that comes to Ripley. He works at several different clinics and she is hoping he will see her at one of his other places instead of Cayla having to wait 2 weeks until he is back here in Ripley. We said we could take her anyplace he is at if he will do that. She said he is a very smart doctor and has been working several years with chronic pain and she thinks he will be excited to work with something besides joints and back pain. She also gave her a sleeping pill because she is not resting at night, just dozing in and out. We didn't get home until 6:30 she had to go into the hospital, which is right beside the clinic and get blood drawn to be sure her white count is going back towards normal. This is the lady I went to the day we found out she couldn't go to Semmes Murphy for a week and talked to about her. I really like her. She is very thourgh and Cayla said she is this way every time she has seen her. She wants to see her again in 10 days.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Elaine the party has already started!!! Wish you were here!!!

Sandra I am so glad that someone is taking an interest in Cayla's case. It's easy to see where she would have a problem sleeping with all the pain. I hope all of this helps and soon!!!!

I hope Charlotte & Richard had a nice day today on their adventure. The weather should have been excellent.

Today is Joann's birthday so Mary & I took a little LSU flag out to the cemetery and visited with her for a while this afternoon. It can't hurt to get Heaven on our side!!! I've heard it said that it will take a miracle!!!

Our church is packing little plastic shoe boxes with all kinds of things and we're shipping them to Africa for Children's Cup. I got 3 of the little boxes and it's been like a scavenger hunt finding all the items but thank God I completed everything today and even got the lid closed. It was actually quite fun until my grands came home from school and I had to answer 500 questions. LOL!!! They are each packing a box of their own. I hope that each item brings joy to the lives of the children.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We did have a good time on our trip yesterday. It was an all day trip. The weather was perfect! We ate lunch in the lodge and it was a gorgeous lodge with a beautiful view. Food was good too. I took them up one back way and we came back another back way and then got on the Interstate for part of the way home. Richard was on a roll late in the afternoon - a lot like his old self. He was having a great time. Talking away... razzing us about stopping to buy peanuts when we got back in town. We were all laughing up a storm when we dropped them off. Then today an old friend of his (go back to babies together) picked him up for lunch. He really enjoyed getting to visit with him. But I think he may have had too much excitement in a short period of time. He seemed confused more so than normal tonight and was so tired he couldn't stay awake. After he ate he layed down and went to sleep and I couldn't get him to wake up and take all his medicine. He normally likes to take medicine. I need to try to space things out more. But it was just the way things worked out this week.

Jeri your church does a lot of the same things mine does. We're sending boxes also. I didn't get involved in it this time. They had a packing party the other night so families could bring their kids and get them involved too

Sandra I don't guess the doctors have any idea what is causing Cayla's pain. I haven't heard you say and figured you would have if they said what they felt was causing it.

Elaine I hope the chemo doesn't brother your friend too much.

Our big Christmas Open House is tommorrow at the mall. It will be a wild day! There was lots of traffic through this afternoon . Everything over 20.00 will be 15% off tomorrow only. I have a couple of things people put on hold today. I know they plan to buy them at a discount tomorrow. ( A radio dj will be on site tomorrow and they will be conducting a scavenger hunt. Vendors contributed door prizes and they will be drawn for every 30 minutes. There will be lots of food. It will be wall to wall people. I plan to stay down there most of the day. I've already had a good first of the month and I expect sales to be good tomorrow. It's that time of year!!

Ripley, MS

The only thing we have been told is that she has "Pain Syndrome". The doc at Semmes Murphy said that the other 3 people that experienced this didn't have pain syndrome. I asked if that was a diagnosis, pain syndrome? He said "Well she is in pain". DUH !
Her doctor is very caring and wants very much to help her, she said that it appears to her that it is coming from the nerve endings, not the nerve root, which is like the pain from a ruptured disk.
She said the only meds she knew that worked for nerve ending pain is the neurotin and Lyrica.
She slept so much better last night and is still hurting but said she felt better rested to deal with the pain.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whoa, here it is the middle of November and I am waaaaay behind. I have read everything for the last 2 1/2 weeks and have caught up but there is too much to comment on. I have been keeping up with Sandra and Cayla on Facebook and on another forum. I'm sorry I haven't been over here. I was sick with a terrible head cold for 3 weeks--finally got better, thank goodness!
It seems you all must be busy because nobody has been here for a week. I guess I should check and see if somebody started a new thread for November. :)

Well, I checked and it appears that there is no new thread for November so I will start one.
BRB.

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1380948/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.