OCTOBER time for 'mums and pumpkins!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Cayla has kept her pain under control all day with the new drugs she was changed to at 7am this morning. The plan is to go home in the morning with these same meds. Her surgeon is writing her scripts and wants her to see him in office in 2-3 days. They think the crisis has past and everything is on the uptake now. Praise God !!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

If I don't respond to comments or questions it is because of no wifi only my cell and so hard to text .my phone is on the blink too. Love you all and try to read. I don't know when I will get wifi again very limited and costly selections. Someways you pay for being isolated

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That is indeed good news!! Sorry you are still having problems with your wifi, Cindy. I think I'm gonna break down and buy a new modem. Mine is ancient!! LOL!! I guess that is the price I pay for being old.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

You aren't old, Jeri! The key to staying young-at-heart is not to act your age!! LOL

Such good news about Cayla--praise God! I think we all must have received the same text from Sandra this afternoon.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I was so thrilled to hear the good news from Sandra!!

Cindy I hope you can get wifi soon. You certainly live in a nice quiet location but I don't think of you as being isolated. It's an ideal situation. You have the river and privacy yet you're 10 minutes away from downtown!

I've been very happy with Uverse. The only modem I need is the one Uverse installed. The one I was using was not very old but it's now just another piece of equipment I need to get rid of. Guess I should try to sell it. I think Uverse will eventually be everywhere. As I understand it ATT is planning to replace all phone lines with u verse. By combining my phone, internet, and tv service I've really saved a lot of money every month.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I know the Mills family is so relieved Cayla has turned the corner and will be going home. I did get the text and I could almost hear a big sigh of relief from everyone! Then I saw Sandra's sweet message on FB.

Cindy, we don't have hard-wired service either in the country, so we can't take advantage of U-verse or any of the DSL-type services. AT&T cellphone service is spotty at best where we live, and we have always had good luck with Verizon. They have a cell-tower based system called a MiFi that we have used for about 5 years now and we just had to replace our device. It's about the size of a cell phone but thicker and you have a data plan, but the basic plan is reasonable for internet service and 30GB of data/month. That doesn't allow streaming of a lot of movies, etc but does just fine for the two of us for internet use, e-mail, etc. We used to only have 15GB and we rarely went over it. Plus the device is re-chargeable and portable, so you can take it with you in the car or when you travel for wifi service if you don't have it in a hotel, etc. Bonus!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You can create your own "hot spot" with your iphone and use your lap top through your hot spot. Of course your eating up data usage when you do that.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I was relieved as well to get Sandra's text! I know it has been such a long ordeal for them.....and so painful for Cayla, and unfortunately, she still has whatever problem with her hip that was supposed to be being fixed to begin with. Praying that she had a good night last night and that everyone was able to get some rest.

We have at&t internet at our home, but Uverse is not available in our area yet. And there are a lot of people in our area that can not get the AT&T internet. Our service was great when we first signed up, but now it is pretty spotty at times. Not sure if they have overloaded the system or if the modem is too slow (but it is one they provided)...... we get knocked off a lot.
We considered trying to upgrade to Uverse - but since it isn't available yet, guess we will wait. The other options for internet service at our house would be at least double and in some cases 3 X what we are paying now!

We learned a couple of days ago that AT&T will no longer be supplying scholarships. It was a competitive process each year, but Jessica has received it the past 3 yrs. Next year, it won't be offered so that is 2,500/yr that she won't have coming in. Her roommate is wanting to move to one of the new apartments at semester and that will run around 900/semester. Jessica really didn't want to pay that much for an apartment, plus, she likes being able to walk to class and not have to fight for parking spots. If they move to the newer apartments, walking is not a good option. So, she was really torn about what to do. They did put in a request to upgrade their apartment, but they won't find out for several days which apartments will be available for them to choose from. She is trying to move to slightly nicer apartment that is still close to campus - but now her roommate tells her that IF they don't get into the newer apartments, she is moving in with another girl who is already in the new apartments and is needing a new roommate for spring. Highly unlikely that they have enough hours to qualify for the newest apartments - Jess has a lot of hours, but the other girl only has about half of that. So, please say a little prayer for Jessi that IF that girls moves out that she is able to find a nice roommate for spring!

The weather has been so nice the past few days! I am making a little progress in my yard, but sure don't seem to be going fast enough!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I am also relieved for Sandra and Cayla!!! What a scare!!! Our families as have many of Yall's have learned the hard way to take nothing for granted.

Mary is taking her 1st chemo treatment this morning please remember her in Yall's prayers. The cancer is back and twice as big as it was. I had a scary through the other day when we found out it is cancer, they cut through her liver and brought the 5 biopsies up thought the liver. I pray they haven't spread the cells to the liver now.

Genna is Jessi's roommate now Amy Scarborough's daughter? I've confused myself. I hate that for Jessi!!! I'll pray that the best possible outcome occurs.

Jeri, I hope Mary will do ok with her chemo. I know time will tell with these things and it usually gets worse with time, but will be praying for the best for her.

Genna, I hope Jessi is able to move into the apartment she wants. Now that she is further along, I'm sure she will likely find a serious student to share an apartment with. It sounds like her current roommate is just wanting something 'new' rather than convenient. I know it's hard to convince a 20-year-old of this, but we all have been there. You can endure a few things (smaller, less nice apartment) for a better, more convenient (and cheaper) end result.

A dear friend had surgery a couple of weeks ago for a suspect tumor, which turned out to be ovarian cancer. They did confirm it's in her lymph system. She is recovering at home currently and will go back to her doctor next week I believe to discuss her future treatments. She is part of our group that always goes to lunch on birthdays; we have been friends for a long time. Her husband died of cancer over 30 years ago and she's been on her own ever since. Her 3 daughters all live out of state but 2 of them have been here helping out. The rest of us are getting together on Nov 1 and going over to weed her beds, plant pansies and put down fresh mulch. A couple of our husbands are going to pressure wash her walkway and driveway if needed. The 6-8 of us will do whatever other outside clean-up is needed that morning and then have lunch we're bringing in. My friend who organized this is also a cancer survivor. She recommended things for a basket we put together and gave her while she was still in the hospital. Most of it was things she enjoyed having while she was going through chemo. So pray for my friend Renata as she begins this journey.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yes, Jeri, Lauren is Jessica's current roommate, and Amy's daughter. I understand that Amy is REALLY having a hard time with the chemo she is on currently and the last update I had, the tumors had spread. I know Lauren is under a lot of emotional pressure right now - and she is used to having very nice things. When Jessica started discussing with her about possibly changing apartments at semester - she was discussing options and Lauren told her straight out that she would ONLY consider the Stone Apartments - which are only 3 yrs old and of course much nicer. BUT, they are also a lot harder to get into. At OBU, the married students get apartments first choice, then it goes by the combined hours of the students rooming together. Jessica has twice as many hours as Lauren - and Lauren would NOT have been in ANY apartment this fall had it not been for all the hours that Jessica had. In fact, if Jessica had picked someone with as many hours as she has, she could have probably moved into stone from the beginning if that is what she wanted. Lauren has decided she is definitely moving and her and Jessica just got out of a meeting with the woman who handles the housing. She told Jessica she liked rooming with her - but she really wanted to live in Stone. Jessica will have to pay for the entire apartment where she is at by herself if she doesn't locate a roommate! Which will cost her more than if she was moving into the new ones! :( Plus, Lauren brought the couches, dishes and tv. We have some old tvs at home that she could take to do until we can get something better - or she might be able to catch a good deal on black friday. The LR furniture will be more of an issue. She has a friend, Rachel, who would have gladly roomed with her all along if she had known the apartments were cheaper than the dorms because she never eats in the cafeteria, unfortunately, she has already put her name on a form with someone else to try to get an apartment and your name can only be on one application to avoid major confusion. Rachel should know by Tuesday if they are getting an apartment. If not, I am sure she will move in with Jessica for the semester. In fact, Rachel, Jess and Hannah (the other girl on Rachel's app) are all science majors and so they all have a lot of hours. There are only 2 - "3 BR" apartments on campus.... but both are in one of the nicer complexes that is still close to campus - in fact, it is right across the street from where she is now. One of those 3 BRs has all seniors in it that will graduate in May, so I think they are going to try to get it. With all the hours they will have by Spring, they should have a really good shot at getting it. It will just be finding someone to live with her this fall so we don't have to cover the entire cost of the apartment and utilities alone!!

Elaine, I will add Renata to my prayer list which seems to grow longer and longer.......so much sickness it seems. It seems like ya'll have a great group and I am sure she will really appreciate all that ya'll are doing for her! Such a nice thing to do..........

Jeri, I pray they didn't spread that! That is a scary thought indeed! I hate that Mary is having to go thru all this again..... and that the tumor has grown. But it seems it has been months that she has been trying to get it attended to. Seems like the wheels of medicine move at a snails pace!! Praying that her first treatment goes well and that she isn't too sick! She is still living behind you?? She is so lucky to have you close by to help her with everything!

The sun has finally came out here. It has been overcast and gloomy all day - and fairly cool. It was only 59 when I went to lunch compared to the low 70s that its been earlier this week. I don't mind the cool temps, but I don't like the gray skies so i am happy to see the sunshine!
Have a blessed day friends!

Ripley, MS

I have just scanned through, will read through later, but Eli is on the way home and I have tried to write this out better and will copy and paste here

The surgery was to be on her right hip--the pain block was administered to block the pain there after the surgery. Cayla told him she was nervous about it, she would not even have an epidural when Eli was born. She had friends that complained of back pain after having the baby with an epidural and she said her back hurt enough as it was. He told her it wasn't like an epidural, it would go to the hip. The procedure was done with some kind of guidance, I don't know if it was sonogram type technology or x-ray, but he was visually looking at the nerve the medicine would hit. As he finished, Cayla told him she couldn't breathe, and they knew immediately what had happened and what to do. They bagged her until a ventilator could be brought to her to keep her alive. Her oxygen level never went below 95.
They called it spinal shock. Now the question is--Why? The procedure that is done several times a day all over they world that was done correctly had just shut her body down ? While this is listed as a rare complication, this doctor had never seen it happen, he just couldn't believe at first that there was not an underlying cause of it, for example she could have had a stroke or heart attack at the exact minute he administered the medicine, so the first thing they did after stabilizing her on the ventilator was to do a scan on her brain. That is where the pupils were described as fixed, and pupils are only fixed when there is NO brain activity. . An opthomologist was in the hospital that does eye cancer surgery that looked into her eyes and "thought he saw" a bleed behind her eye. He thought she had a stroke. The neurologist there looked at the brain scan and he said if she woke up-he feared the outcome.
Then it was time to do MRI-the tech called Dr. Kasper and told him she was trying to wake up. He went to her and tried to explain to her why she had the tube in her throat and they were doing some tests. Then he had to come tell us that he had to give her MORE meds to keep her still for the MRI--After he told me she was trying to open her eyes, I knew then She wasn't dead, but still feared for that condition of her body. He promised us it was just a very light dose and it would wear off soon. By the time they finally got her moved into the ICU, she was awake and trying to get us to help her and trying to cough the ventilator out. In the next couple of hours they took the vent out and she was talking, knew us, everything looked perfect. Then the pain came. When we first talked to her she had feeling from her head down to about mid chest. Her head and neck was hurting badly. Now they have the problem of How much medicine can we give her with no damage? As her body came back awake the pain followed the path. If any of you have ever suffered a "spinal headache" from a procedure her pain was worse than that. Every nerve in her body was waking up and trying to start doing its job. Compare to a foot or hand gone to sleep and is uncomfortable until you finally get it awake. Now multiply by the thousands that type of pain from the top of your head to your toes. That first day and all night she was rolling all over the bed and crying and begging for help. Her elbows will have scabs on them from scrubbing the sheets. 7am the next morning Dr. Kasper was in there to see about her and he told them what to give her and when. His program worked and yesterday and last night she was easy enough that she called it bare able. She was in hysterics from the pain before they started her on these meds yesterday morning. They told us last night she could come home if she wanted, now that they knew that combination of drugs was handling the pain, but she said her head was still hurting too bad to go anywhere last night.
Since this is such a rare occurrence there is no guideline of where we go from here. They said they don't know how long the pain would last, but suspect it will get a little better every day, think that in a couple of days she can start leaving some of it off, like the Valium. It has nothing to relieve pain, but when she starts back to hurting, she starts stressing out thinking she is going back to that horrible uncontrolled pain she had and the Valium calms her down and let's the Percocet work.
The medicine that was put into her body was simple Lidocane and another drug. It was NOT an allergic reaction. In fact the medicine worked perfectly, but her body allowed it to take a path it should not have traveled. She had no rash so we don't
List is as allergic to it, even the dentist uses Lidocane and it is in my mouthwash I have to get when the burning mouth gets really bad.
If after 4-5 days we see no lessening of the pain, we go to her family doc with her surgeon's number in hand. He will explain what happened to her, if necessary. When she get ready to talk about her hip again she will go back to the surgeon.
I hope I have cleared some of this up, I know some of my texts and messages made absolutely no sense at all, but we had so little information, and so little cell service to distribute what we wanted to.
Again, I say---I Love you all and thank my God for you, and for answering our prayers !!!
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
Edit | Quote | Post #1093853 (6)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My goodness Sandra what an ordeal!!!! I know you all were beside yourself. I guess they don't know what is actually causing the pain. Her body has certainly gone through a shock. I know she is really fearful of the pain returning. Like you said hopefully the pain will lessen some each day and as it gets better her fear of the horrible unbearable pain will also lessen. I know you are still stressed out and hurting for her - none of us like to see our kids suffer. I know Eli has missed his Momma! But as you said God is good!!

So Genna her scholarship money doesn't cover the cost of housing??? Just tuition? Sounds like all these apartments you're talking about are actually owned by the college and are managed by the college.

No way Jeff would let the boys move into an apartment that required it to be furnished. Logistically they couldn't transport furniture to three different locations. They would also have no place to store it over the summer unless they rented a storage unit. I know a lot of the kids friends are from locations really far away - like New York, and other states far away.

Jake lives in a college apartment but it is fully furnished including a complete regular size kitchen. He just has to furnish the cooking utensils. A couple of his roommates live in the Los Angeles area and fly to and from school. None of my grandsons have cars at school. None of Jake's roommates have cars at school.

I know small town colleges are different but looks like they would provide basic furniture in college owned apartments. I hope Jessi gets her situation worked out.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna you mentioned you were having problems with your ATT internet. I forgot to say that ATT called me and told me I needed to switch to Uverse. After I questioned them about it they told me I could keep the same service I had if I wanted to but they would no longer be servicing those lines. That if a problem developed they wouldn't fix the line. So as I understood it the regular dsl lines are still there but as they develop problems they will become obsolete as they will not repair them. It will probably take longer to get Uverse out to you but I bet they will eventually. My son had also told me the same thing. He does work for ATT systems. Actually when it first came out my son told me not to get it but to wait for a year or two. He said there are always bugs in something when it first comes out. It's been out for quite a few years now.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra had posted the same information about Cayla on another forum that we are on together. I commented on that forum that prayers are still continuing for Cayla. Praise the Lord! that she came out of this crisis with apparently no ill-effects except the pain, of course, but I was referring to paralysis and the other effects she could have had.

Genna, I sure hope that Jessi's roommate/apartment situation is resolved in a satisfactory manner. As far as possibly needing furniture, have you tried looking at Goodwill or Salvation Army? They sometimes get some really good items that have been donated but you may have to keep going back until you find something that is not only in good shape but also a real bargain.

Elaine: praying for your friend! You ladies are certainly special friends to her to do all that you will be doing. That is true friendship!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I have not seen anything worth having at the Goodwill stores in LR although other places may certainly be different. We have a place called Savers that is similar to Goodwill and the Salvation Army. They seem to get much better donation here. I have seen decent looking living room furniture there at really good prices but you literally have to be standing there when they bring it out from the back and grab it before they even get a price tag on it. Everyone seems to be going to online sales. There are several FB sites I belong where people sale furniture. Even on it you have to constantly check the site and if there is something you want, you have to contact the person selling it immediately. There is a site for central AR called Furniture and Big Stuff. I've bought a number of things through that site. As a matter of fact Marilyn your grandson that just had the baby has been selling some things on there recently. I bet there is a similar kind of site for around the Camden, El Dorado area. We have Craigs List but I'm not as comfortable with it as I am the FB sites. I also think the workers at Goodwill end up getting the good stuff or call their friends.

You are probably saying why were you so crazy to do all that in one day!! I didn't intend to! My 3 pallets of freight was supposed to delivered yesterday but that didn't do it and the guy couldn't move my furniture yesterday so that how it happened all in one day!!! I had to have the furniture in and in place in order to put out my new merchandise! As crazy as it sounds I actually enjoy it!! It's sort of like gardening, when I'm working I don't think about anything except what I'm working on. Lots of satisfaction to me to see how it all comes together. I certainly get the exerciser also!
I didn't know I still had it in me. I've been on the go since 9 this morning and am not quite through yet but had to sit down for a few minutes. I had a guy help me take several pieces of furniture down to the mall first thing this morning and then as soon as we got it in a truck delivered 3 pallets of new merchandise. Some how I managed to rearrange some furniture, unpack the 3 pallets of boxes, break all the boxes down for the dumpster and load up my SUV with a lot of it. I crammed stuff in drawers of furniture I have for sell but just couldn't get it all in stored away so I loaded up my SUV and bought tons of it home to price. I had to get my booths half way presentable or at least where people could walk through them because tomorrow I'm setting up a booth at a church bazaar to sell soap. It seems like a good idea a couple of months ago but I have so much to do this time of year. At least I had already worked out a display when I set up at the Flower and Garden show. Just had to load all that in my car. Still have more soap I need to pack up and load up. It's going to be an early morning. I didn't sit down from 9 am until 6:30 pm! I may not be able to walk tomorrow!

Elaine that was really nice of you and your friends to help your friend with cancer. You all knew what needed to be done and just did it!! I know she really really appreciated it! You all are true friends!

This message was edited Oct 24, 2014 7:14 PM

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Well Charlotte I'm just tried from reading what you did today!!! You are definitely the Energizer Bunny!!! You just amaze me!!! I'm glad that you were able to get it all done!!!

I got it done today too but I had to do it twice. I went out to Sam's in Denham Springs and bought over $500.00 of items. All loaded by hand, by me and Mary pushed that buggy all over the store. Then the electric went off b/c an 18 wheeler took out the electric pole about 3 miles away. They said with it being Friday that they probably wouldn't have it repaired for a day or two. Over 350 residences without electric for the weekend. So I guess just having to walk away from 1 1/2 hr. of hard shopping wasn't too bad. LOL!!! Then we decided to go to the Sam's in Baton Rouge and ended up picking up the exact same items before I loaded them in the car and unloaded them at the house. I actually just finished putting the last of it away.

I agree Elaine that was a great way to help your friend and I know all of Yall working together made it so much more enjoyable too!!

Mary made it thought her 1st chemo and so far so good. They put her on amitripoline or something like that instead of the Neurotin. Today was the 5th day and she said she is really sleeping good. The shocking sensation in her fingers are better, TG!!

Hope things are settling down at the Mill's and Harris'!! Has anybody heard?

Ripley, MS

I think Mammaw is about the same, I texted Glenda while pushing Eli in the swing today.

Cayla is no better today, the meds are still keeping it at bay but she took her first shower tonight and was sobbing when she came out. Bryan helped her and as soon as they came out I got her meds for her. It didn't take too long for her to quit crying, the water hitting her had hurt.
Dr. Kasper called her cell today to check on her.

I think what they gave Mary is the same as Elavil, they have put Mammaw on that now too and it is helping her.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I need to make a Sam's run too but want buy nearly that much. I didn't used to go very often at all but since I've started the snack basket thing for Richard it's easier and cheaper to go to Sam's and buy a bunch. As much as I dislike going to Sam's that would have really upset me Jeri.

Glad to hear Mary did ok with her chemo treatment.

Sandra I feel so sorry for Cayla!! Are her nerves still just super sensitive or do that know what is causing the pain to continue. I know how much it has to be hurting you to watch her suffer so. When does she go back to the doctor? Also to think that she is going through all this and didn't even get anything fixed.

I have all my stuff packed up and I'm heading to bed. Sat down to type up a sign and thought I would check here too. Also you probably figured out I added a paragraph to my post above and so tired I got it in front instead at the end. Oh well you get the gist!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That is it Sandra, it's the genaric for Elavil. They told Mary that it would take up to 2 weeks for the Amitripoline to get in her system and actually do what it is suppose to do. How long has Mrs. Mills been on it? Maybe she will improve with a little more time. They also put Ashley on this for her stomach. They started both Mary and Ashley out at 25mg but are prepared to raise it for both. Must be a miracle drug to help so many people. My GF, Camile takes it for restless leg syndrome also.

I hate that Cayla is having such a rough time!! Did the Dr. give you any idea as to when she will get some relief w/o living on meds? How is she ever gonna go back for the original surgery now? I saw where Bryan has not left her side. She certainly did well picking her husband this time. I think more and more of him every time she post something about him.

Good luck today Charlotte!! Of course, I know you will do just fine!!! I know you know what you can do but girl you exhaust me!!! I hope through all of this you are taking care of yourself. LOL at the candy at Sam's. I use to keep to cabinets in the kitchen full of candy for the kids that came through the sales lots it was like $7.00 case. Now it's over $21 a case even at Sam's it's outrageous!!!

This message was edited Oct 25, 2014 7:54 AM

Ripley, MS

Elavil has been around for a very long time, it was one of the first antidepressants that I ever heard of.
When Jerry's mom was in the hospital with all that fluid the doctor taking care of her said that the neurotin was causing her to retain fluid and with congestive heart failure that is the last thing you need. Part of that problem being very long term use. We know she has been on it for several years but we couldn't exactly pin it down to how long and she was up to 2,100 mg a day. It was the only medicine she was on to control her pain. They took her off it and gave her 10 mg Elavil-3 times a day. She is also on Tramadol 3-4 times a day. She always takes 3 and we ask her if she needs one at bedtime. It would be hard to to say about her because they were giving her other things in hospital, but I can tell you this, she is sleeping at night now and most nights she will only get up for potty and goes right back to sleep. She still has some pain, but it is not so bad she can't sleep like it was before she was in the hospital.

Cayla is still the same this morning, but she did say she slept better last night. Eli's Dad picked him up this morning, Bryan is at work when he gets home I am going to try to find Wal-Mart on my own. I have been there several times, but never driving, so I paid very little attention.

I hope Mary does well on the Elavil. Charlotte we will all need a loan after your sale today !

Ripley, MS

Sorry for copying and pasting so much, but time is a little bit limited right now, everyone wants to know when we go back to doc ????

We actually don't have any appointments right now. They do want us to do a follow up with the neurologist in 2-5 weeks. They made her an appointment with her hip surgeon in 2 weeks, but at bedside he told her if she needed anything that Bryan had his cell number. If she is not ready to talk about the surgery in 2 weeks, she can come whenever she wants.

The anesthesiologist called her here at home and said if she needed any med refills to let him know, he can't actually write scripts but he will get someone to write them for her.

We are pilgrims in a foreign land with this, no one knows what to tell us. They "expect" she will soon start to feel better, but they can't give any answers on other people's experience because they have never treated this there. Even if they know someone, Caylas body might not work as theirs did, just like it accepted the medicine wrong in the first place.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I hope Cayla had a better night last night. I agree with what Cindy posted on FB that you should call the doctor in the morning if she is not much better. I've not had any experience with any meds of that type but like Cindy said you and Cindy have and it seems it should be working better than it is by now. The pain itself has to be just wearing her down!

I was gone from 7 am to 8 pm yesterday and I'm ready for a quieter day today. I did well with my soap. I could do really well with it going to all the craft fairs around the area but I'm not sure I want to do that. or have the time. One lady was asking me if I was going to other fairs that she named. There are a ton of them! Just making and selling soap could become a full time job! Never intended for it to be that.

After I finished with the craft fair I went by the mall for a little while and put out a few more items. Then I went home and got Richard and took him out for a long ride. He loves to ride. We drove until it was almost dark and then we stopped and got something to eat before we came home. So it was 8 before I got back. Headed back to the mall this afternoon. It's going to take me all week to get new stuff out and get it put together right.

Ripley, MS

Looks today to be no different so far. Tomorrow will be 7 days since the procedure so if we don't see a miracle today, I will call. I think they will probably put her off on her family doctor, but I am going to object if they do, that is a teaching hospital and they should be more than anxious to have some of the staff there treat her. It seems to me a chance to at least "observe" a patient that is so rare as they told us.
I fear they are just going to increase medicine when we do go for help.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I would definitely object if they try to put her off on to her family doctor! I would think she needs a specialist of some kind - not sure what kind. If the doctors at her hospital don't know the answer, it looks like they could confer with a doctor that has had some type of similar experience with a patient. Like you said since it is a teaching hospital you would think they would be using this as an a case study. I'm praying for her! Also for strength for you to get through this.

Ripley, MS

Thanks Charlotte, I went ahead and texted Dr. Kasper expecting an answer by tomorrow he sent me the names of 2 doctors at Semmes Murphy and we are in the process of trying to get her an appointment there.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

You may already know this. Sandra said it will be the 6 th before the doctors can see Cayla unless there is a cancellation. Please pray that she can get in before then . There is no change in a week and Cayla is understandably very upset.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Cindy for that info. Are Yall getting back to normal there in W. Monroe? I'm certainly glad that we made it home before all that bad weather hit up that way. I would have hated driving through that to get home.

I'm upset too about Cayla having to wait so long just to see this Dr.!!! I'm afraid the damage may not be reversible the longer they wait. I talked to Sandra yesterday for a second and Cayla was fixing Bryan some dinner but was still in pain.

Mary had a better day today. She wasn't feeling very good after chemo last Thur. I think if I remember correctly that she was down a week after each monthly chemo the 1st time so this looks to be about the same time.

The town of Walker, La. is known as a speed trap but Ashley didn't know that and even had a blue line on her license plate but the Walker police officer smiled as he gave her the ticket. We went to court a couple weeks ago and she has to write a 2 page report about how not obeying the laws has affected her life. She also got 10 hrs community service so today she took off from her job and had to report to city hall. She got assigned to work at the animal shelter. She reported to a lady by the name of Mary Gray and it was LaMom. Does anyone remember her? She contacted me on FB already but I haven't had time to talk to her.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I hate that Cayla has to wait that long also. Looks like they would work her in. I'm like you Jeri seem they would need to see her as soon as possible! Praying they will find the answer and that he pain will go away!

Jeri I hate that Ashley got a ticket. I got one myself a couple of months ago. It really made me mad too. It was a speed trap that I drove straight into!! I had just turned off my street heading out of the neighborhood. As I topped the hill going down a neighborhood street that goes into a major street I saw a cop standing in the middle of the street and another one standing by a car that was parked by the curb. Well my first thought was something had happened and I wasn't paying any attention to my speed - actually speeded up in a hurry to get to the cop to find out what had happened!!! I was thinking burglary or something like that. The first thing out of my mouth was "what happened"? The first thing out of his was "let me see your drivers license"! He was standing in the street with a radar gun!!! I didn't even see it. He claimed someone on the POA board had complained about speeders! I'm the secretary! That didn't cut anything with him!! Hate it when kids that have just started driving get one. Clint got his first and only one so far in a parking lot. He was in a strip mall and had gone a car link or so when he realized he hadn't turned on his lights. The cops stopped him and gave him a ticket because he was moving when he turned on his lights!

I don't remember LaMom. Seems like Ashley has to do a lot!!!

I hope Mary keeps feeling better.

Ripley, MS

Didn't Mary Gray come to Tupelo for a RU ? I think I remember her, but she went away for a while didn't she?
I sure hope Ashley doesn't bring in any more critters for you, glad to know Mary is better.

Cayla finished her Stromboli but she paid for it with more pain, Bryan said it was good.

I can't believe that in Cayla's case they won't see her until the 6th. It seems like they would work her in because of the situation, but when you only get the booking people on the phone, they don't knowo that. Sometimes you have to ask for an exception or to speak with the Nurse Practioner or ask for an exception. The person you speak to about an appointment don't know the situation. You really have to raise 'hexx' sometimes to get action.

Sorry Ashley committed such a horrible 'crime'! Community service for a ticket?? Is that so it doesn't go on her record? I know there is driving school you can go to here, which is an almost all-day course. I got a ticket about 3 months ago too. Similar thing....school zone and the guy zapped me right at the line. I was doing the speed limit behind a big truck that was carrying limbs that were flying out of it and was trying to dodge the ones flying out. Trucks are supposed to be covered, btw. He was flying way ahead of me but he hid the school zone flashing light. It must have just turned on as it was 2:30 and I had just come from getting my driver's license renewed. He blew thru the school zone but I got waved over before I even had a chance to slam on my brakes to slow down. I too have a thin blue line sticker on my car (a big one) and I asked him both about the truck flying thru the school zone going faster than I was (he 'didn't see him'), told him he didn't even give me a chance to slow down at the sign, and the sticker. He asked me who was in law enforcement and I told him. He shrugged and handed me the ticket. Cocky little guy.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I would call Cayla's Dr. and have his office make the appt. It should be sooner out of courtesy for the Dr.(a shame that the courtesy is for the doctors and not the patient.) but that happens. What is Stromboli? I googled it and it said a turnover with cheese??? Can't be what you meant?

Yes, Sandra, Mary Gary did come to the Tupelo RU and one or 2 of the Ru's at my house. Ashley only had to work 10 hrs. so that is done now. The 10 hrs community service and report are in lieu of paying a fine and it being on her record. Ashley really doesn't like animals much. She is afraid of them. No chance of her bringing home any of them. LOL!!!

I hate Yall got tickets Elaine and Charlotte. I can't believe they gave you one Elaine and acknowledged the blue line. Really cocky little guy!!! That was what the police officer did to Ashley.

Yes, Jeri. I told Earl to spread the word that the next time one of Huntsville's finest comes thru our neck of the woods speeding they shouldn't show him any 'courtesies'. Just my humble opinion.

Speaking of animals...do any of y'all think this is weird. I was talking with an acquaintance at choir practice last night. She lost one of her cats recently and her surviving cat has been really lonely so she went to one of the feline adoption groups to adopt a new kitten. There are several in Huntsville but she had adopted from this group before. This woman and her husband are in their late 50's, kids are grown (they were both adopted), no grand-kids. She said the agency had her fill out a long form asking about their household, did they have any kids under 10 years, who was their vet, etc. Then she said she would have to agree to not sell or give away the cat and agree to home visits (I think she said as many as 12 the first year)! What?! She said it was more stringent than when they adopted their 2 children! She walked away and said she'd go to another agency for her cat. Didn't mind giving them her vet's name, etc, but didn't understand why they couldn't let a family with a child under 10 have a cat or that they needed to do so many 'home visits', or that she couldn't give away the cat, ever. What if your circumstances changed in a few years and couldn't keep the cat? We were all sitting around discussing this before practice started and none of us could understand this, especially since these people beg you to adopt unwanted animals. I understand pet abuse situations and all that, but really!!

Ripley, MS

Makes you want to just forget the whole thing, all that paperwork. I think it started because of a users, people just want a cat, it should not be that way. It is expensive too, some of the ones , dogs, Bonnie talks about have a 300-500 adoption fee. I would buy one before I would pay that for a dog in a shelter, sorry Bonnie if you should be peeking in, but that is just too much.

Dr. Kasper has spoken to this doc, but this is a neurology clinic, they deal with unbearable pain,every day. When I had my first ruptured disk, there were 3 grown men sitting in the waiting room, crying. From the time I couldn't work anymore until my surgery with the first one was 6 weeks of jumping through the medical hoops. While it upsets me, I understand, they have no "emergency appointments" there. I am happy it wasn't longer and she did tell me that Cayla was first on the cancellation list. I keep thinking every night that maybe tomorrow will be the turn around day, and so far the only improvement I see is her strength, she seems stronger every day. The person I spoke with was the doctors assistant.
Jerry is at the doc this afternoon, he is getting another kidney infection. I hope he gets some antibiotics that will knock it out quickly.

Ripley, MS

Forgot to say what Cayla cooked, was just that. She is quite the gourmet cook now, she put the dough in her Kitchen aid mixer and used the dough hook to mix. Then she went back to couch--I took the roast beef that Jana had cooked for us and washed it off and mixed BBQ sauce with it and the dough was in the oven covered and rising. When it finished rising Cayla grated some Gouda cheese and just patted the dough out on parchment paper, added the meat and cheese and folded the dough on top. She put the parchment paper on an already heated pizza stone and baked it. She set the timer and went back to couch--LOL
She sat at the table this morning for her coffee and breakfast, then headed back to her couch.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

There is no improvement?

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

You wouldn't believe the animal hoarders out there, that keep animals in horrible conditions, and people who adopt only to use the animals as bait for dog fights...etc. Most "normal" people can't even imagine what god-awful things people can do to animals. Also, it helps to be stringent to check homes, so that they don't have animals being returned due to "it just didn't work out". And even many breeders ask that if you can't keep the animal, you bring it back to them, so that they can find a home for it.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sorry to hear things are still the same, Sandra still praying for better days

Some things are getting cleaned up hear others look like the day of the storm . Jeri I remember Mary. She was also a waitress at your favorite restaurant and her husband was a policeman ? She came here to the house with her sister in law.

Sorry Mary is down how next week is better for her .

My husband wnt to the local cat shelter that had been advertising feral barn cats. He took one of his hands with him . They strolled in told the people they needed a 2 barn cats for the mice., and wanted a spayed female or a male but wanted two so they could keep each other company. . He said they went off whispering , acting like he was Jack the Ripper. left them there waiting 15 min. He finally walked out.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yummm that dish Cayla made sounds delicious! Sure hope the pain goes away soon!!

Cindy wish I could send you all some cats from my neighborhood!!! We have had a black ferral cat problem. One of the neighbors called a cat shelter and they helped catch some of them and neutered them. But we still have several roaming around. You can't tame them. The only way you can catch them is with a trap. The cat place actually furnished some traps for my neighbor that called them. I think it is called FURR.

Ripley, MS

Someone gifted me with a female cat about half grown a couple of days before I left home. The truck was in the shop and no vehicle in the drive. That is how I got Milo also, went to town one day, came home and there he was. The female cat will have to go to the shelter if she is still there when I have time to take her. Only want my one old Tom, Pumba, and Milo. I hope it is not a zoo there with us being gone

Cayla took another shower tonight and cried for an hour after, she took her pain pill before she got in and has finally calmed enough to stop crying. Her sweet friend Becca is here, so I put Eli to bed and went to my room and shut the door. She told me today the pain in her hip is much worse too. I told her she had to get well and stay well for a couple of months before she could even think about the surgery again. Her poor body has been through so much trauma, I don't think she could stand a big surgery anytime soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.