September: Is summer over??

Ripley, MS

I have been thinking about Jessica and I just have to ask, does she have poly cystic ovary syndrome ? All of these symptoms are similar to PCOS. I had it and Cayla has it. Cayla has. Been seeing a nurse prac OBGYN that has got her on some hormones that have helped her.
The only thing different is PCOS causes hair growth, but some docs also say it can cause male pattern baldness also. I also had endometriosis, and the doc that did my hysterectomy said it was the worst case he had ever had. He had pages and pages of surgery report that. Had been typed up from my surgery. He said it was so bad he "HOPED" he got my ovaries, it was covering everything !
While I am not by any means any smarter than anyone else, both of these conditions are hormone related. It makes me think one might cause the other and vise-versa ! Cayla is on metformin also, which is usually a diabetics drug, but also used to treat PCOS. When she first went to the NP she was borderline diabetic, now she has lost close to 80 pounds she has to watch out for it getting too low, because she still wants her to take the metformin.
Diabetes is questioned by some doctors as "which came first? The chicken or the egg?" Obesity and diabetes run hand in hand as well as heart disease. Some doctors now question if the diabetes caused the obesity, or the obesity caused the diabetes ? Insulin is also a hormone, so many things are controlled by our hormones.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Interesting that you mentioned the PCOS Sandra....as that is what I am pretty sure I had prior to my hysterectomy but I had never heard of it until after the fact. I ended up changing OB/GYNs and my new one is female. I asked her to look at all my symptoms that I had had prior to the hysterectomy and inquired if she thought that MIGHT have been the cause..... she said that it most likely was the cause but not once was i tested for it! Of course, there was no was for her to verify our suspicion because I had my ovaries removed as well (due to a maternal aunt who died from ovarian cancer). My brother in law happens to be an ob and he even suggested that exact thing to my SIL yesterday. Jessica doesn't have a lot of body hair - so I am not sure that she has that, but she should probably be tested for that as well.

I did learn yesterday that our neice (same BIL and SIL's daughter) has tested positive for the same antibody - she didn't learn of the problem until she had already had one child and lost another due to miscarriage. She was pregnant again when she had some random health screening done for the hospital where she works and they found a problem with the thyroid hormones and then further testing revealed the marker. It gave me hope that she has two children and she is also on synthroid even though she doesn't have the symptoms yet........ I also emailed an online medical service that our company provides access to called Edocamerica. We can email doctors or dentists etc with questions. I sent them a message yesterday and the dr who answered me said that it was usually fairly easy to treat but would definitely require monitoring for the rest of her life. That doctor wanted to see copies of her labs and had several questions - so I sent that info to him today. Between him and learning about my niece's diagnosis I felt that at least there was hope of a mostly normal life............when we left her office last Thursday, we didn't really feel like that!

Yes, diabetes and heart disease definitely go hand and hand and we have WAY too much of it in our family history.

We did find that there is a younger endocrinologist that practices in HS - my sil knows several people that really like him. We may try to get in to see him and see what he has to say about the situation. It would be awesome if she could find someone younger that she likes because she is going to be going to an endocrinologist for a LONG time! If she can find someone she likes that is knowledgeable it would be so much better because she needs a long term relationship with this doctor......... I am going to wait to see how this doctor at edoc responds - then I will see what I can do about appointments. I may also see if we can get in to see Dr Miller. So many of these places will not see you without a referral from a PCP - so I will need to find out their requirements and go from there.

Thank you all for your encouragement and your prayers! It means more to me than I can express. I know you are all parents and understand how I would gladly take this from her and place it on myself if I could....... but since I can't - we have to both adjust the best we can and get very proactive about her health and future. Please continue to pray....... I need her to get to the point that she is ready to do what it takes to secure her quality of life. I told her we couldn't control our quantity of life, because I believe God is in control of that, but we can control part of our quality of life - and being proactive sometimes means the difference between being in a wheelchair or bed, or enjoying life.

Thank you all! Your friendship and prayers and suggestions mean more to me than I can express!!

Ripley, MS

If the baby having part is worrying her, you tell her my ob surgeon said he had no idea how I ever had 2 children as bad as my endometriosis was. I just smiled at him and told him that God gave me my babies ! God will give her hers too when the time is right !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna without my thyroid and being totally dependent on synthroid I don't feel any different now than I did before. It really hasn't affected my quality of life in any way. I do have to make sure I take my meds and have blood work very regularly. If I didn't do that I'm sure I would have some problems. I had blood work today. They took 6 vials of blood. That's the normal amount they take every time. Then I go to my PCD and he takes blood. Then I go to a cardiologist and she takes blood. But I figure with all that blood work if I do develop some kind of problem they are surely going to discover it right away!

Like Sandra if the baby having part is her real worry I would think they since they have discovered the problem they will be monitoring her and getting her on some type program or drug to get her levels under control. Dr. Hamid may feel that she is not to a point that she needs Synthroid yet. That she just needs to monitor things now. Who knows? But hopefully you will find a doctor that can give both of you a lot better answers and a better explanation of their treatment plan. Like Sandra said, God does the rest!

The make a generic form of Synthroid and a lot of people are able to take it. It is extremely inexpensive. Less than 10.00 a month. My doctor requires that I take Synthroid. With all this new Obama care mess this year my insurance company was not going to pay for Synthroid since there is a generic available. However, my doctor just wrote my insurance company and told them I had to have Synthroid and they ended up covering it. Synthroid itself is not a really expensive drug either. Can't remember exactly what it was going to be be but I'm remembering something around 73.00.

Also as young as she is they are constantly learning and making improvements in treatments of most things.

I know you worry about her and that's is certainly expected.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, I do worry. I don't think the children were the ONLY thing that she was worried about but you would have just had to have been there to have heard how the doctor told her that she would probably have numerous miscarriages and might never carry a baby to term. It was just so negative - and really shocking news. Now, we know that she can possibly carry a baby to term with appropriate monitoring and my BIL said he has delivered several babies from patients with Hoshimoto's..... it is just imperative that they be constantly monitored.

The hot flashes she is having is probably one of the worst things she has to deal with. Yesterday she was totally embarrassed because she was taking her yearbook photo and the woman asked her if she had ran over there thinking she was going to be late for her appointment. She hadn't ran - she was just having one of the horrible hot flashes and sweating like crazy. She was totally embarrassed by it - not to mention uncomfortable from the hot flash as well. But she does have a lot of headaches and joint pain and she is worried about being bald ...... we will just have to see what the second opinion renders.........

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

By the way, I forgot to show ya'll what I found Monday. I have scapes on my Buttered Popcorn - several buds!! I couldn't believe I had DL buds on September 15!! This weather has been so crazy, I guess it didn't know what season it was...............

I think this might set a record for the latest DL bloom!

Thumbnail by gen2026
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna is it very unfortunate that she went to such a brash, blunt doctor that wasn't able to give her the diagnosis in a more caring way and give a better explanation. I go to Dr Hamid for my yearly ultra sound but she doesn't have a reason to talk to me about anything. She just gives the results to Dr. Nair. I thought she was just the one that did ultra sounds for everyone until you told me otherwise. There has to be something they can give her for the hot flashes. Hot flashes especially at her age can certainly be a pain. I started menopause in my forties. I didn't have a lot of hot flashes but I had one that I'll never forget. At the time I didn't have a clue I was having a hot flash! I was in Washington, DC with a group of about 8 men. We were having dinner in a really nice restaurant and I started feeling funny and was really hot - sweat pouring off me. They all noticed it and asked what was wrong. I thought sure I was coming down with something bad never thought about it being a hot flash! I had on a business suit thank goodness because when I went to the restroom my blouse was totally soaked. Only one I ever had like that. I hope that you find a good doctor for her soon and she can get regulated. I looked up Hoshsimoto's like probably everyone else did. Did you notice that some feel it is linked to celiac and some have said going on a gluten free diet had helped.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Gonna I think you should contact Dr. Hamid's office and let her know how rude and UNCARING she delivered the diagnoses to Jessie. I wouldn't want any other young patient to be treated that way but if no one complains she may think it's OK.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri how is Mary doing?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Not very well at the moment. They just did a needle biopsy and ended up going through the liver. She is pretty uncomfortable right now. They had originally told us the entire procedure wouldn't take 3 hrs but now after 3 hrs we have at least 3 more hrs to make sure the liver isn't bleeding.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh MY!!! Poor Mary she needs for things to go better for her!!! You need to take care of yourself too!! I know it's hard for you to do!

Ripley, MS

Praying for Mary, Jeri and of course sweet Jessica.

I will have to say I had a daylily bloom in Nov one year, it was a crazy double too, bloomed prettier then than it did when the regular blooms came !
I finished mowing yesterday and I told Jerry that I was going to make a statement he had never heard me say before----I think I am tired of summer ! It took 3 days in 2 different weeks for me to get the mowing done this time. I could have went over the first places I started last week again yesterday, but I didn't ! I am still thinking the new diabetes med must be affected by heat. I have never had this much trouble working outside in the summer, surely it is not my age !

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh my.... poor Mary! She has sure been thru it ! :( Big hugs to her and you! Praying for things to improve for her quickly! Charlotte is right, it is hard on you too and you have to be sure and take care of yourself as well..... you are always so busy taking care of everyone else!

Wow - November........... that was weird for sure!! We can't seem to "finish" mowing here - it is ready to mow again before we even get started. And Leigh's tractor hasn't been running all year so everything outside of the area that we mow is really grown up and out of hand! UGLY! A guy came a couple of times last week to try to get him going - and made some progress. He was supposed to come back this week, but I haven't heard from him. He was having some tests done and some health issues too so I don't know if things got worse or what. I am looking forward to some bushhogging being done and get some of those critters backed up from the house some!!

Sandra, your medicine may very well affect how you react to the heat. I won't mention age at all.... ^_^

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Well I can and it's affecting me too Sandra!!! LOL!!! It hasn't been as hot and we've had 5 times more rain this year than the last 15 so I have no excuse for not getting more done. Of course, my excuse now is…it's too wet!!!

I agree that Mary has been through it but it looks like she may be going through some more. We went to the Lake for a simple CT scan and the Dr. was going to insert a needle into the mass and withdraw fluid from that area. Simple. Well none of that happened. The Dr. did the CT scan and the growth went from 3.? mm to over 5 in size and instead of a needle biopsy he went through the liver to the growth about 5 times and cut snips off of the growth. After a snip or two he then put her back into the CT machine and did another scan. She won't know anything until some time late next week.

Ripley, MS

So is the mass behind her liver or on her liver?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sorry to hear that Jeri!! You do need to try your best to take care of yourself somehow!

Well I can't relate to your grass mowing. I finally got mine almost totally eliminated and it it takes me about 15 minutes to mow my front. I only have to mow the biggest part of my front. My nice neighbor on the right side of me mows the strip next to my driveway and next to his front yard. It has one of my flower beds in it and he even weed eats around the stone bordering the bed!!!

I just haven't been as interested in my beds this year. I have thembasically the way I want them and don't have room to add anything else. So it's just maintenance that I need to do but haven't done a lot of that! Somehow I've got to get rid of the mulberrry weed in the front!!! I've also decided that next year I'm not going to plant anything but a few tomatoes and peppers in my garden. I already have strawberries going and asparagus. The rest of the space I'm going to plant in things like lavender and cocks comb that I can dry. I've been drying my hydrangeas and took a bunch to the mall to put in some containers to make them show better. I didn't put a price on them and people started wanting to know how much they were so I just priced them all. I've sold tons of them. Also sold some containers that I had had for a while. So I've decided I need to grow things I can sell rather than eat. I seriously don't cook so there's really no need in my growing vegetables!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

We're praying that it's behind but we don't know anything yet. Dr. Fort told Mary in January that he thought the mass was a lymph node but regardless it's getting bigger. I hope they got enough to ID the cancer and get her on some kind of treatment. SOON!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Jeri, this will be a long week for you and Mary, waiting for the results. I do hope and pray they get her on some kind of treatment soon. It seems like she has been stonewalled at every turn with this.

Charlotte, I try and try to keep that mulberry weed out of my back bed but it keeps coming back. I usually miss one or two that grow close to the base of one of the big plants or shrubs and I guess it gets big enough to seed everywhere. That's the only thing I can figure out. They apparently seed pretty quickly in their growth because I'm constantly pulling up little ones in that spot. Preen and more mulch this year has really helped with everything else but not this stuff. If you still want some of that blackberry lily I'm planning to dig some soon so I'll dig it for you and mail it. When the seed pods open up in the fall, it makes a nice unusual addition to an arrangement. I can't remember if anyone else wanted some, but if you do let me know. I'll get y'all's addresses via D-mail.

I've also had a couple of DL's blooming. I can't remember which ones because I didn't really look at the tags but I was surprised. Sandra, a DL bloom in November! Wow! The garden is still producing a few tomatoes and peppers but I really haven't had time to do anything with them except eat them. I need to cut up the peppers and freeze them but we're busy almost every night with something going on. Weekends too. My good friend who moved back here from the DC area in the spring is closing on a house tomorrow and needs some help moving boxes and things tomorrow. Movers are coming next week but she wants help moving a bunch of boxes (already packed and stored in her rental house) and more fragile things. We're going over to help with that in the morning. There is a really good art show on the mountain I wanted to go to but we'll see if we have time in the afternoon.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine my extension agent told me it only has to have 3 leaves on it to reseed. I have it in the back but it's not just everywhere and is a lot easier to control back there. But for some reason I just can't get it out of the bed in front. It comes up in thick thick patches!!! The soil is very loose and fertile and stays moist. I guess the perfect conditions. My agent said it's a fairly new weed to this area. Came in on nursery pots. She didn't know anything to use to get rid of it either. It's a lot worse this year than it was last year. I have a big box of Preen ready to use.

If you get a chance I would like to have some of the lily. But if you don't have time I certainly understand.

Jeri I know it is going to be a long week for you and Mary.

Charlotte, d-mail me your address and I'll let you know when I get it in the mail. It's really no trouble and I already have found a box that is right-sized. It will be easy to plant...kind of like iris. I need to go ahead and dig pretty soon before the foliage dies back and I forget where it is.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Jeri, is it normal to have to wait over a week for test results? That seems like such a LONG time to me - but then I have no patience........... just seems like it has taken so very long to find out what is going on just to be able to start treatment!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Her Dr. is out of town until next Thur. I'm gonna try to go online to something called MY CHART at the Lake but I'm sure the Dr. will have to talk to her before they post on that site.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, Jess and I supposedly signed up for this online access to our records as well - they told us it would take 2 days to get the lab results. It was a week yesterday and still nothing on there - called and left a message for the nurse, but she hasn't returned my call yet. :(

I have Jessica an appointment with another endocrinologist in HS on Tuesday - and they want me to fax the lab results that she already has to them. I hope I have them by then!! It is so frustrating trying to deal with all the red tape ..........

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Is anyone familiar with this plant - Fothergilla, or witch-alder ?? it is featured today in an article and I wondered if anyone grew it? It looks like a beautiful fall plant ...... wondered what the negatives were if any.....

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Dr. Nair's office always sends me a copy of my lab results. It usually takes about a week for me to get it after I have lab work. I'm sure they have to get the results and then it takes a few days for it to get to me in the mail. I also signed up for the online thing too but haven't checked to see if the results for the lab work I had done on Tues has been posted or not. I will get it in the mail the first of the week. I don't ask for it, he just automatically sends it to me with notes.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well I just decided to check the online access to see what has been posted. No lab results yet. But goodness I thought I was just fine but after I read all the things I have and being treated for (all thyroid related) I decided I really don't want to know all the technical stuff!! It could scare a person to death!!! Don't want to read all that technical stuff anymore! All I need to know is how many pills to take!

Ripley, MS

LOL @ Charlotte !!! I feel the same way about things sometimes, like when you read all the warnings on your prescription medicine, you wonder if you should even take the stuff !!!
When I had my last back surgery--the one with the brace for 11 weeks after----the doc insisted on going over every step of the surgery with me before I signed all the papers, I had to choose which bone replacement to use and sign a paper saying that, now I am sitting there hurting, just wanting to get home for a pain pill and he thinks I have enough sense to decide which bone replacement material to use?????? He said he needed to educate me--I am thinking just shut up and fix my back !!! Sometimes less is more, I am like you just tell me how many pills to take!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes Sandra I know what you mean!!! I think they go over board sometime now because of all the disclosures, legal ramifications, etc. When I had my thyroid surgery which was the last surgery I had they went into all kind of details as to things that could happen. I really didn't want to hear all that!!! Just do the surgery and get it over with!!! About a year ago I had too much calcium building up in my kidneys. My doctor went through all the problems that could develop (kidney stones for one) and then gave me a couple of options. One being wait a couple of months and measure my calcium level in my urine again or go ahead and start taking a diuretic to flush the excess out. Like I told him, he is the doctor you tell me what to do!!!

Ripley, MS

Wow, this month is almost gone! I can't believe it, I didn't realize it until I looked at the date, tomorrow is Amanda's birthday. My baby girl will be 36--she is already having trouble with the exchange student. She has asked the board to have her moved and she thinks they are going to get her Friday. She has to keep a blog about living here, she was typing it in her native language, but she didn't know that Amanda was getting a translated copy every time she wrote. She was complaining about everything--even that Amanda would not go to the market every day to buy her fresh fruits and veggies, and meat for EVERY meal. Se wanted to be on the swim team so Faith joined with her and Amanda got drafted to help coach, those poor teachers really catch it. Amanda is in charge of, the Math Club, the knowledge bowl, National Honor Society club, the 9th grade sponsor --and teaches all day long until 2:30 her planning "block" is from 2:30 till the end of the day. She doesn't have time to fool with all the teen age craziness so she is having her moved to another home and school. She was so sweet when she first came, but I think she expected to be pampered a little more here and that hasn't happened, so she turned into a regular old hormone loaded teenager !
I worked outside for a few hours today and had to have a pain pill when I came inside---my leg and back has not been cooperative at all lately ! But the weather is absolutely wonderful!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Poor Amanda! I would be getting rid of that girl too!!! Shopping for fresh fruit, vegetables and meat every day!!!! Then cook it! What is that girl thinking! They may shop every day where ever she comes from but that sure doesn't happen here. Jake thought at first he may have to live with a host family and was actually not looking forward to that. He lucked out and got to live on his own. Of course he is old enough to be on his own.

Jeff is going to Israel this weekend. Just going to be gone 5 days but that's not one of the best places to go. However his company is based there and he has to go over to meet with his boss about a big proposal he's working on. I think he'll be around the Tel A Viv area.

Yes it's a beautiful day here too. I've got to get out to the garage and work on some furniture. No time for the yard. Furniture takes all my time.

Ripley, MS

Praying for Jeff's safety, it is surely not a good time to be over there.

Some days, I just want to mow all mine down and let the grass have them, but then I remember how beautiful they were in bloom ! I have been enjoying embroidery when I have a few minutes. I haven't really done much since I was a girl, but it is fun and something that doesn't hurt one body part or another !
I did the little owl and sewed it on the pocket, then put a card with money in the pocket for a wedding shower gift last weekend.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2014 7:44 PM

Thumbnail by slcdms
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That's cute Sandra. Also a good idea putting the card and money in the pocket. She got something she will certainly use plus being made by you and then the money to buy something she wants.
I used to do a lot of needle work years ago. I embroidered every pillow case I owned and made a baby quilt for Jeff with embroidered characters on it. Still have that quilt somewhere. It's very worn however! We used it as a throw on the sofa for a long time. Then I did crewel embroidery, then needlepoint and then just stopped! Still have a couple of needlepoint pieces I never finished. I think I ran out of places to put pillows or framed pieces and I had given had given so many pieces to family they didn't need or (want LOL) any more.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Forgot to say how cute the pot holder is. I use to like to do cross stitch.

Whatever is going on, it's in my post also!!

This message was edited Sep 24, 2014 9:29 PM

Ripley, MS

I like cross stitch too, but I hate having to try to count, embroidery is more of a mindless actitiviy that I can do without too much thinking--LOL !

Jeri I think your first post might have not posted

Wow, Sandra! I can't believe poor Amanda has had to deal with this girl! What country is she from? (Or maybe I should say 'what planet'?) The 'Expectation Generation' must not just apply to kids here in the good ole USA. I know European cities do shop for fresh fruits and vegatables and most of their food daily because of the size of their kitchens and refrigeration systems. But to expect that here is just ridiculous. Happy Birthday to Amanda!

Charlotte, praying for Jeff's safety also. I was in Israel (Tel Aviv) on business a long time ago and I really enjoyed it. We had a day to do some touring and 4 of us hired a driver to take us to the Holy Land and a few other places. I wouldn't take anything for that opportunity, but about 6 months later, the bombings of some of the clubs and places near where we stayed started happening and I was glad we weren't there!

Love your embroidery too Sandra. I used to do both embroidery (crewel and small-thread), needlepoint, and counted cross stitch. I did so much of it I guess I got tired of it.

Are y'all getting some of this in your posts:
Sometimes there is a whole string of them.

Haven't heard from Marilyn, but I hope she and Al are having a good time. I'm guessing they are busy plus she probably hasn't had wifi or internet coverage.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have another friend traveling in a RV and all the places they are staying have wi fi. They have traveled in there RV for a long time. They were headed to Nova Scotia and she had already said that was going to be their last trip. They got to Virginia and decided that it was just going to be too arduous a trip and decided not to go any further north. They had planned to be be gone 2 months. So they just decided to spend a month in a little town in Tennessee just over the border from Virginia and watch the seasons change. They live in Orlando and don't get season changes. But they have wi fi there and in other other parks they had been in before. Maybe Marilyn has just been too busy.

I don't imagine Jeff will do much touring while he's there. He reports direct to the EVP and he is in Israel. I have a feeling this will not be his only trip there.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi, everyone! We just got to Miramar Beach,. FL this afternoon. Our former neighbor, Rita, lives in Santa Rosa Beach which is just a few miles from here. We have had a wonderful trip and have driven more than 3000 miles in the last 3 weeks. We have seen Biltmore Estates in Asheville, NC; Ocean City, MD; Colonial Williamsburg; Charleston, SC and St. Augustine, FL. Those are the places where we did a lot of sightseeing. We have also stopped along the way to visit friends Hank and Vicki Sunderman in Rutherfordton, NC; Deb and Frank Troiso from Massachusetts (we saw them in Ocean City); Sidney McCollum in Okeechobee, FL and Susan and Danny Weeks in Valdosta, FL and now Rita here in Santa Rosa Beach. We will leave here on Sunday morning and point the fifth wheel toward home but we will stop and have lunch with Sandra on our way. It has been a great trip but after almost 4 weeks on the road we are ready to be home! LOL We have seen some awesome sights--I could go on and on about the wonderful old buildings, homes and museums we have seen in these places. We had a wonderful carriage ride around old Charleston and our guide was super-duper informed and really knew his history. The same goes for everywhere we went. They pay those folks to know their stuff! The Lightner Museum and also the old Ponce de Leon Hotel in St. Augustine were both stupendous as was Biltmore. Williamsburg was great! The Magnolia Plantation outside of Charleston was wonderful. I have run out of adjectives to describe these places. As I said, I just can't say enough about everything we have seen and done.
Yes, all of the RV parks where we stayed did have wi-fi but we were usually so tired at night that I didn't have the energy to do a lot of posting. I did post a little bit on two of the threads I belong to on cubits but that is about it. Some nights the internet was so slow that I just gave up on it. Posting from my Iphone while in the truck was difficult due to the bouncing of the vehicle and one road we were on (it was a freeway, no less) was so bad that I had to just turn off my phone and forget it! Oh, by the way, I have taken more than 900 photographs so in case you want to be bored, just let me know and I will post links to my picasa web page and you can view as many of them as you like. LOL (once I get them uploaded after I get home, that is)

Anyway, I have skimmed through here and tried to keep up. I'm sorry to hear about Mary and Jessie but I hope they can both find solutions to their issues. Beyond that, I just can't even begin to comment on everything else. I'll just say that we should be back home by late Monday afternoon or perhaps Tuesday and then I will be able to keep up with you ladies. "See" you then! Hugs to all!

and P.S. While I was away, my grandson and his girlfriend had a baby boy on Sept. 5th: Chandler Scott Brynell. He is a cutie and I have posted photos of him on my FB page. :D

Ripley, MS

Elaine, she is from Ukraine

Ripley, MS

I wanted to tell you all what happened to is in Colliersville TN-on the outskirts of Memphis.
We had been to see Jerry's doc on Sept 14 we stopped at the Corkys BBQ to eat around 7pm. We had terrible service, you know I was a waitress once and I am usually really forgiving, but this was bad enough that I did not want to giver her a tip, it was really bad.
When she checked us out, she took our debit card and she said is this what you want to do? I said yes. Jerry told me when we left I needed to check that out, he had a feeling she was going to help herself to a tip. I have Internet banking and can go on line to check our accounts out at any time. The next day I saw it posted. It was 37.56 which was the exact cost of the meal.
Last Sat our bank statement t came and Jerry was in his chair, which sits in front of a bookcase. We have a 3 ring binder from the bank we keep our statements in. Since I have gotten used to looking at our accounts I never take a second look at the statements. I handed it to Jerry and asked him to put it in the binder. For some reason he was looking at it and he asked me how much that meal at Corky's was. I told him 30 something, I had just tossed the receipt the day before. He said it showed 47.56 on the statement. I asked him to be sure and he handed it to me. I went and got the original receipt from the garbage to be sure I was right and I was. The phone number was on the receipt and I called and asked for a manager.
It ended up they refunded our whole meal, I don't know if the waitress was fired or what, Cayla said it could be the manager was in on the whole thing and who knows. I only asked for my 10 bucks back that she had stolen.
It seems that when a wait person scans your card, there is a certain time window that they can go back and "edit" the transaction. I have no idea what that timeframe is, but I know the next day my banking site said 37.56 when I looked at it. Then it changed to 47.56 after I had looked to be sure she didn't help herself to some money. The moral of this story for me anyway-LOL- is to always have cash when we eat out. I will never let anyone have my debit card in a restaurant again. I guess we either looked so rich, we didn't need 10 bucks, or so stupid we would never know the difference, but the fact remains, someone stole 10 from us that night or the next day. Jerry has always said that wait staff shouldn't have access to anyone's card and looks like I have to say now that he was right.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I check my balance everyday also. I use my debit card all the time for meals. When it first shows up it will always be for the exact amount. The amount that was authorized when they ran it before bringing it back to be to sign. I put my tip on at that time if I'm giving one. Then when it actually clears the amount including tip shows up. Not sure what she did but sounds like she knows how to work the system!!!! Crazy world! There is a real estate lady missing in LR. She went to show a house at 5:30pm yesterday and when her husband hadn't heard from her by 9 he went looking for her. Her car was at the house and purse and all contents still in it. They still haven't found her. Helicopters and been flying very low today. Don't know if it has to do with her or something else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.