September: Is summer over??

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Colonascopys or however you spell are not fun - well the procedure itself was a piece of cake but the prep not so great!! But they are really necessary. I put my first and so far only one off far too long. I had great results also and they told me I didn't need to come back for 10 years. So many people seems to be getting colon cancer.

I've been busy working on stuff for the antique mall. Getting ready to go make some soap now.

It's really beginning to feel like fall. That touch of fall in the air in the morning and the days are getting much shorter. That I don't like!! I really like long days.

I hope Marilyn isn't running into too much back weather. If they do maybe they can just find a park to stay in and stay there until the weather clears. I have a friend from Texas that is traveling in her motorhome (like Jeri's). They are in Stanton, Virginia now and she has been showing some pictures and the weather there is nice and sunny. They stopped to visit their granddaughter at college. They have wi fi at the park they are staying in (or maybe it's in their motorhome???). Anyway she has wi fi and has been posting pictures.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hey everyone just stopped in to catch up on everyone. Glad everyone's seems to be ok now except for Mary. Please Jeri tell her I love her and think of her often. I think of you too.
Well we had a little fall in the air around here over the weekend. Would be nice if the heat was gone for good for awhile. Had a few blooms but not much

Will try to check in more often.

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cindy your flowers are still pretty!

I've been on a tear today! After I got back from my MG project I decided to start cleaning up the workshop. There was a big box of papers stored there that was at least 25 years old! So I decided to burn the contents in the chimnea . Got that going good and decided to start pulling old stuff out of the file cabinets in the garage. I have 3 full size file cabinets stuffed full of stuff!! I haven't been able to put anything new in them because they were totally full! I burned stuff all afternoon and still have a couple of garbage bags to burn. I didn't go through all the drawers but got a lot of the old stuff out. Maybe that will get me motivated to get a whole lot more stuff cleaned out!! I have a document I've been looking for and still haven't found it after all the stuff I went through. I know it's here - just don't know where!!! I've got to get back on other projects tomorrow!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Elaine that is an excellent idea about the bracelet and the info in Richard's wallet. I guess the next step after those would be a sitter with him part of the day while you are gone, Charlotte. A lot of people don't like that idea at all but thank goodness my aunt & uncle have found 2 very nice ladies that take care of them. They are wonderful with my uncle and even help my aunt with her raccoons and cats, as Aunt Tharon is on a walker now and can't maneuver her steps by herself.

I heard that it's usually the short term memory that goes first so that makes perfect sense that he relates to the 50's & 60's music. I still enjoy it myself!!! LOL!!! I'm starting to worry about Mary. She has really messed up a lot lately and when I try to help her she is now telling people that either I'm picking on her like she did with her niece and SIL or like she announced at the shower we went to Sat. that in my eyes she hasn't done anything right in 4 days. I've tried to be understanding but this hurt my feelings!!!

Genna really good to hear from you. I'm glad that you recovered so quickly from your fall and all the reports came back good on the colonosopy. Good luck with that software training. I'd hate to think I had to learn anything new right now!!!

Cindy your flowers are looking good!! I have been meaning to give you a call. I need to change our girls weekend to another day if that's OK with you, I actually have to come to Ruston for a wedding. I knew about it but didn't connect that the date was the same as our weekend. I was thinking that either on the way up or back I would try to run by for a short visit and maybe get to see your booth.

Charlotte I have boxes of stuff in my attic that I could probably keep the chimnea going all winter. I hate you have so much energy…you make me look bad!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri hiring someone to stay with him while I'm going will be the next step I will have to do. When I don't feel comfortable leaving him I'll do that. He's ok to leave now. I just need to be sure I have everything covered before I leave so he doesn't get out of sorts! Going to do those M&M's up snack bags like Sandra suggested. Did some today before I left to go to church.

Jeri, Mary does sound like she is having some kind of problem also. I know that comment hurt your feelings as much as you do for her. You are her salvation! But sometimes people get things wrong with them mentally and they just don't act like themselves. As I learned to say from a book I read recently - it's not easy dealing with people that have neurological problems! I had to deal with a lot of issues with my dad so I've had a lot of experience. I ran across a letter I had written to my dad's doctor when I was cleaning out stuff yesterday. I lot of what I had written in the letter I had forgotton about. He didn't have any kind of dementia issue and was just fine 90% of the time. When some thing out of the ordinary would happen it could totally throw him and you couldn't reason with him at all. Just a few years before he died I took him to be evaluated and finally learned he had a mild case of schizophrenic. They put him on a medication that really helped. He had had a wreck was what happened to bring the spell on. He was not injured but he totaled the car he was driving. I can only remember 3 or 4 times from the time I was about 24 that his symptoms became so bad that it was almost impossible to deal with. Each time after a couple of weeks he would just snap out of it. But when I finally took him to a doctor he was living alone and would not let anyone come in and help him, wouldn't let anyone bring him food (people from church that he had known his whole life would try to bring him something and he wouldn't let them in and would tell them he didn't eat "that stuff"}. All this to say people with neurological issues can be extremely difficult to deal with.

I burned more stuff this morning before I left and have tons more to burn!! I also still have cabinets to go through. I also have boxes in my attic I need to get down one of these days and burn. It's records from the store. Mainly payroll stuff. Stuff I was told I need to keep for a number of years. It's been over 10 years so surely I can burn that stuff now. One of my next projects is to clean out the foyer closet. I have a feeling the document I'm looking for is probably on the floor of that closet. I have a bad habit of throwing stuff on the floor in that closet when I trying to clean in a hurry. I have so much stuff in there I can't do that anymore!!

Ripley, MS

Jeri,it makes me wonder too if Mary is having something like Charlotte's Dad, the last two families were mean to her and now she thinks you are not acting right either. As much chemo as she has had I would not be surprised.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Jeri, I'm sorry Mary has hurt your feelings after all the kindness you've shown to her and how close you two have been. It surely isn't right and surely must mean something isn't right with her! I hope you get an opportunity to have her further evaluated so you'll have more answers and better understanding. But it doesn't take away the sting. And I know you can't help but compare to the awful way the others were treating her and what she said about them. That's so different and you have to remember that.

Charlotte, I hope you can arrange for some part-time home health care. My friend in Guntersville has people who come on a part-time basis to give her some relief. Her husband is the one who has Parkinson's and also has developed dementia and has almost stopped communicating.

Cindy, your flowers look so healthy. I still have several things blooming, especially the asters, zinnias, cleome, and a few others. Salvias are beginning to bloom again too. Saw a few blooms on the hot lips the other day. I should take a few more photos before they are gone.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Lucky for me I don't wear my feelings on my shoulders!!! LOL!!! I'm worried about her too but honestly don't know enough about all the meds that she takes. I know that she has anxiety and in the past I give her a couple days and she'd be better. Now I'm wondering if Dee & Erin did as much as she said or if it's just Mary.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri it could well be a problem with the meds. I've found that doctors are too free with dispensing pills. They can certainly cause reactions that affect her behavior. Especially if she is not taking them exactly like she should. You don't know if she is actually taking them when she is supposed to and taking the right dosage. Some time about a year ago Richard complained about something during a doctors visit and he just gave him a prescription. He tends to exaggerate whatever is bothering him. He really didn't have any big problem. When I got the prescription filled I realized it was a drug that had been prescribed for him 9 or 10 years ago and he had had very adverse reactions to it. It was a very controversial drug back at that time and lots of law suits had been filed. When I realized what it was I just didn't give it to him. But if he had taken it, he could have had some very bad issues again! Back in Jan Richard said something to his doctor about not being able to remember anything (duh). So for some reason his doctor decided to change the medication he was on for Alzheimer's. It was the newer drug and a patch instead of a pill. I could see right away that it was not the right drug for him. He was not functioning nearly as well as he had been on the pill. I could see that it was causing him to go downhill. I insisted that the doctor put him back on his old medication. It took him a couple of months to get straightened out after that.

Since Mary goes to the doctor and gets her own meds there is really no way you know what she is taking and when and what over the counter thing she might also be taking. You're in a tough situation. Don't know how you can handle that without making her mad. Could you possibly talk to her doctor without Mary and let him know your concerns and her behavior or maybe write him a letter before she goes to she him the next time.

It's hard not to get your feelings hurt but when people get ill (whether physical or mentally) they often do and say things they wouldn't ordinarily and we just have to remember that it's not the real them talking. Not easy to do!! It's also not easy to keep your cool trying to deal with what seems totally irrational behavior. When my parents were moving back from Houston my dad went through one of his bad times because he really didn't want to retire and move back but had promised my mom that he would. I had a full time job, was going to school myself and had a son in college but he expected me to take care of everything to do with the move. I had to look at every house in El Dorado that they considered buying. Finally one night I had a TOTAL meltdown. He had called me around 5 pm wanting me to come down and look at a house. So I did. We were at the house at 9:00 pm and I had to be at work the next morning and had a 2 and 1/2 hour drive back home. I know the real estate agent thought I was a total nut case! I started yelling and screaming and told him I didn't care where they moved and they could just rent a small apartment and dump all their stuff on the street out front!!! I did get everyone's attention!!! LOL

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all..... Jeri, so sorry to hear Mary isn't acting like herself. It could be hers meds for sure - or could it possibly be an injury from when her neice ?? was attacking her? I realize more than likely it is meds - but I just wanted to inquire? Maybe you should ask her what all she is taking and write it all down and verify she should be taking it all - with her changing doctors, somebody may have put her on something she shouldn't have been on. She may also be almost to her breaking point mentally because of all the stress she has been under. This past year has been really rough for her - and now the cancer being back, she may be having almost panic type attacks and not be really able to direct her feelings properly. Maybe a low dose anxiety medicine might help?? I think we ALL have a breaking point and sometimes those straws can really add up.

I am headed to LR again today - Jess and I have our appts with the endocrinologist. And i have my MRI.... please say a prayer that Jess likes the dr and that they are able to communicate well and that hopefully she can get her on a program to get her thyroid working properly.

Cindy, so good to see you posting! Your flowers are lovely! I am jealous....i want to come to the girls day out! :)

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Well I never questioned Mary as to what she said that Dee & Erin had done but now I'm not so sure when I hear her using the same phrases to describe me and the only thing that I have done is not agree with her. Actually I think that whatever is going on started before she left for Pa. She had gotten kinda aggressive with me and I wouldn't play. She asked some pretty private questions and demanded an answer. Then while she was in Pa. we had that phone call that she hung up on me. The only new medicine that I know of her taking is something called Neurontin. http://www.drugs.com/neurontin.html.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri that is the very drug that I'm talking about!!!! It's not a good drug! It can cause a lot of side affects. That's the one a lot of law suits were filed over 9 or 10 years ago. Richard's doctor prescribed it for him about a year ago and I just threw it away when I discovered it was neurontin. I didn't realize it until I had gotten the prescription filled or I would have never had the prescription filled.

I'm sure she takes a lot of medications and like someone said with her changing doctors she may have things the current doctor is not aware of. Combining certain drugs can cause very strange behavior . Like I said before doctors seem to also be too quick to give out prescriptions for meds. I think Richard probably complained about his leg hurting was the reason his doctor gave it to him. I finally figured out all he was complaining about was leg cramps! Sometimes it seems when a tylenol would do the trick they instead bring out the big guns! Not saying Tylenol would solve leg cramps but just as an example.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2014 8:27 AM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri here are some links to what I'm talking about.
http://product-liability.laws.com/gabapentin-lawsuit
http://www.seegerweiss.com/drug-injury/neurontin/

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

TG!!! Charlotte I'm so relieved to know that it was the meds. When I showed her the side effects she had 8 out of 10. She called her Dr's office and she is gonna be able to just stop taking then. They upped her Celebrex and said that should help. They had prescribed this medicine to her when she was in Pa. for her nueroputhy(sp?) in her legs. She has had a wreck in her car since she has been back in Baton Rouge while taking these meds. I wonder now if this is really what happened at Dee's & Erin's?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri the reason I knew about all the problems with neurotin was because a law firm in Chicago contacted Richard back 9 or 10 years ago regarding a class action law suit they were working on. Don't know how they got the names of people that had taken it. He considered joining the suit but they kept wanting so much information and it became very complicated so he finally dropped out. When his doctor gave him a prescription recently he used the name gapapentin on the prescription and that didn't ring a bell with me but when I got the prescription filled Neurotin was in the fine print on the label. That's when I threw them away! Glad you mentioned the name of the new drug she was taking!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! I'm glad I remembered the name. She said she had blurred vision and she stumbled and was confused are just a few of the ones I remembered. Oh, yea excess aggrevation.

Ripley, MS

I was given that drug for the pain in my leg from my back, it is for nerve pain. I could not take it, it messed up my thinking. Judy tried it and it gave her a terrible headache. Jerry's Mom takes it 3 times a day-800 mg at a time. It is the only thing that has ever helped her pain and doesn't seem to give her any problems. She has been on it several years and if it runs out, she is in so much pain it is unreal. While it doesn't completely stop her pain, it does help some.

Poor Mary, she has been through it. I don't think Mary would ever hurt you intentionally Jeri, she loves you and Jim too much !!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I know that Sandra but I'm certainly glad that I said something today. I knew something was wrong but not what it was. Now it makes sense.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri you are helping her by saying something. You knew that was not normal behavior for her. I hope she gets straightened out. Like with my dad I didn't know what the problem was but I knew it wasn't his normal behavior and that he had to have help. After he got back to his normal self he realized how much the meds the doctor put him on helped him and he was very faithful to take them every day. I don't think he really ever told me but I knew he was glad that I got help for him.

Wow! Amazing how this information came to light right here among friends! I'm so thankful this may help Mary, and you too Jeri, get to the bottom of at least one of Mary's problems. It's so amazing that our little circle of friendship can come together in our time of need. Saying a little prayer of thanks today.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Me too, Elaine and everyday a prayer of thanks for the best group of friends I have ever had. In the school I attended we were just all there from 1st grade on thru 12th, at church, pretty much the same thing and we are still friends 54 years later, but here the circle of friends are here originally for our love of gardening but now it's like a sisterhood of choice!!!

I didn't know what was wrong but something was out of whack. TG, Charlotte that you and Sandra had experience with that medicine b/c I had never heard of it. The meds were my last resort to the answer of this problem. Hard to imagine that something you take for the pain in your legs could have that side effect. I feel like I need to call Dee & Erin and tell them both about it and the cancer being back, so that Mary can have other people in her life. I think I'll pray about that for a little while.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

He will give you the answer Jeri. Mary needs all the support she can get!

Ripley, MS

This is twice this week I have posted a link to this song, it has been on my heart all week and it fits right here also

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ped1jYLFtkA

By the way, it is my ringtone when Cindy calls me !

Love you all

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Thought I would post a few flower pictures. This coleus is the best one I have this year. The reason I say that is as it has grown tall it has stayed nice and full. I haven't pinched this one back or done anything to it. Actually this is two different pots. Ones on the pergola and the other out in the yard. My other coleus tend to get leggy as they get older and taller.

The other two pictures are of my obedient plant in the back yard. I actually like this one as it is shorter and not as aggressive. It is now looking just like my impatiens! It just seemed to happen overnight. The plants don't have any leaves left on them. The few leaves that are left look like the picture. A reddish brown color. What in the world is going on!

It loaded in the totally wrong order! The first is the obedient plant without leaves. The last is what the few leaves that are left look like. Of course you can figure out the coleus is in the middle.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't go to Sam's very often but I had a couple of things I needed today. Sandra your talk about the snack bags gave me an idea. I bought several kinds of granola bars and fiber bars. Then I realized I could buy the big XXL bag of M&M's for a lot less than the bags I've been buying. They also had those tins of butter cookies that you usually only see around the holidays. I decided to make up a couple of snack baskets for Richard. One downstairs and one for upstairs. I used the snack zip lock bags to put the M&M's and butter cookies. Then put an assortment of all the stuff in each basket. Not sure where it's going to be good or bad! He broke into it 5 minutes after I put it in the room he stays in upstairs!

Ripley, MS

I hope he likes them. If he enjoys sweets so much I would surely give them to him!

I have no idea on the plants unless it is heat stress. A lot of my daylilies have gone dormant because of the heat and no water. They are showing some green again since we got a little rain.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all. Jeri, i am so relieved that you now know the source of Mary's frustration and aggression! I am so thankful that you posted that name and Charlotte knew right away what the problem was! and glad they are letting her stop it!! Hopefully it will get out of her system quickly and she will feel more like herself.

I am once again here begging for your prayers. We did not get good news Thursday at the endocrinologist. The Dr said that Jessica has Hoshimoto thyroiditis .... and it is a bugger (my words not hers)...... Jessica has struggled with her weight her entire life, has had her hair falling out like crazy for over 2 yrs, and suffers from extreme hot flashes and lately even boughts of extreme cold - which is very foreign because she has always been extremely hot natured. Her gall bladder problems more than likely stemmed from it, she has major joint pain which is also caused by it, and will probably have multiple miscarriages and may never be able to carry a child to term once she gets to the point she wants to have a family. Plus, I haven't even told her about the article I read with extreme birth defects that can be caused in the kids that are carried to term. :'( I can't even begin to describe how upset and disappointed we were with the visit. I think for once in her life, she thought she was going to actually get some help with her weight and she was so excited - only to more or less be kicked in the teeth........... pretty hard I might add. My heart is broken for her!!

I did a little reading on it Friday and it seems from what I have found most drs do treat with synthroid but her dr said she would just have to live with it - that there was nothing that could be done. There is nothing that can be done to make it go away, but if we could treat part of the symptoms, it would sure make her life better. I have wanted to cry or scream ever since I found out! I would take it from her in a heart beat if I could - but of course, that's not possible. I think we will at least pursue a second opinion about possible treatments for symptoms. Please keep her in your prayers........ there are so many possible side effects from this disease the list is almost endless. As she said last night, it is literally the source of everything she has ever had go wrong - such as her gall bladder and her constant joint pain, etc..... can even cause heart issues so it could be the source of that as well. :( The dr was so direct, lacked empathy of any type, and was so just "live with it and all the symptoms" - I do not want Jess to think that any normal life is over at 20!! I know she will have issues and things to deal with - and I realize it could be much worse such as cancer or something as life threatening but I would really appreciate your prayers for her as she deals with this news!! It can also lead to things some of which are life threatening such as an increased risk for cancer, diabetes, and Rheumatoid arthritis etc..... it is totally depressing when you start reading about it!

Charlotte, sounds like you have come up with a great plan for Richard's snacks! It should be as happy as a bug in a rug with that selection close at hand! Hopefully he didn't empty the basket all at once! :)

Ripley, MS

Genna, I would go back to my family doctor with the diagnosis and ask them to send you somewhere else if you are not happy with the doctor. I read a little on the Mayo Clinic site and it is a "buggar" but with the right help I am sure Jessica will be able to deal with it. She has handled so much work and with all this going on too I have no doubt she will take charge of her health. She is a strong young lady !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I'm sorry to hear about Jessie's diagnosis. The thyroid controls more than most people realize. I had my first thyroid surgery when I was about 40. After that surgery I didn't have to take any synthroid because I had enough of a thyroid left to function. After my last thyroid surgery I don't have any thyroid gland left and also don't have a parathyroid gland. But through synthroid and medications (potassium, calcium, calcitrol, vitamin d) they are able to keep my levels just fine. She is young to have to start dealing with these issues but she will be able to do so. I would look for a doctor she is more comfortable with. The doctor may have reasons for not starting her on synthroid right now. I go to Dr. Nair at LR Diagnostic. I really really like him. He is one of my most favorite doctors. I really feel he knows what he is doing and I have a lot of confidence in him. I was referred to him by Dr. Jeffrey Miller my surgeon. Dr. Miller was in Little Rock. He is now in Hot Springs. I would also highly recommend him. He specializes in thyroid disorders. He is in his early 40's and a very fine man as well knowing the thyroid. He was at Arkansas (ear nose and Throat) on Kanis. Can't spell or pronounce the correct name for it. He did all their thyroid work. I first saw a doctor at the clinic that I had been seeing and he referred me to Dr. Miller. Then after my surgery Dr. Miller referred me to Dr. Nair for maintenance. I have blood work every 6 months but in reality I end up having it every 3 months. As after my last blood work a few weeks ago a couple of things needed to be adjusted. So I'm going back Tues to have blood work again to see if the changes he made are working. A lot of explanation to say my two recommendations are Dr. Jeffrey Miller in Hot Springs and Dr. Garnesh Nair in Little Rock.

Sandra I'm so glad you suggested the snack bags. He is thrilled over his basket of snacks! He has a variety to choose from in it and some of it a little more healthy than just M&M's even through all of it is somewhat sweet. Even through I've been keeping most of what's in the basket it's easier for him to get a snack with it all in one spot.

Here is a link to Dr. Miller.
http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-jeffrey-miller-2fpx5
https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/32269/Dr-Jeffrey%2BJ.-Miller-HOT%2BSPRINGS-AR.html

Link to Dr Nair
http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-ganesh-nair-3952p
http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Ganesh_Nair/reviews

Genna I believe this is her current doctor. You need to read these reviews!
http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Zulekha_Hamid/reviews

This message was edited Sep 14, 2014 11:19 AM

This message was edited Sep 14, 2014 11:27 AM

Ripley, MS

I am glad you figured out something to make him happy ! I also use them to put cookies in Jerry's lunc. They are handy for a lot of stuff !

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Genna that is a scary diagnosis for Jessie at such a young age. Even if Dr. Hamid is or isn't your Dr. I think I would have to have a 2nd opinion to such a life altering prognoses. HUGS to you both!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I want you to see what one of my neighbors has done in her front yard. She knows nothing about plants. I would have never thought to put these two plants together. A sedum and a big leaf aguga. But I love the combination and the aguga is thriving in full sun.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I like the texture of all 3 plants together. I don't like the aguga but it could be substituted for something else easily.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri that's what I like about it - the texture! I like unusual combinations of leaf size and texture,

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Dr Hamid was the doctor we saw thursday.... I doubt that we will be seeing her again assuming I can find another one that will at least consider something other than just "live with it all"....and oh and if you get pregnant call me immediately! Otherwise, I will see you in 6 months.

I don't think they will let us change to Dr. Nair, although I can ask. I know when I started going to LR DC I was sent to Dr Rapp......also an endocrinologist - he was useless in my opinion! I was sent to him because they found a cyst on my pituitary gland and he never once checked it again. He would literally say every time i went to see him " I can't help you with that".... it took me wayyy too many times but I finally realized he was completely right and I refused to reschedule another appointment. He always wanted me to come back in 3 mos or 6 mos to tell me he couldn't help me again! I managed to bypass changing doctors because I didn't go to him for over a year and a nurse practitioner at LRDC that I saw periodically for a while in the pulmonary dept helped me bypass the system and see Dr Hamid. I have never really "liked" her but she seemed professional enough and that is way more than I can say for Dr Rapp...... so I tolerated it. The comments on those ratings do not surprise me at all! But, all that to say that I was told there was a clinic policy to block you from changing drs within LR Diagnostic Clinic...... if that is true, we will have to find someone other than Dr Nair to try to help us. From what I understand though, there is not much selection on endocrinologists in AR. I will be trying to do some research and find out!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you may need tiger a dr to refer you to Dr Nair or another dr. Dr miller referred me us how I started going to him. I would think they would have to allow you to see the Dr.that your dr refers. I would also highly recommend seeing Dr . Jeffrey Miler in Hit Springs. He is a thyroid specialist. Even if he refers you to someone else I would really respect his opinion . I don't think he would refer you to anyone that is not compete. I think Jessie would like him. I will drive to Hit Springs to see him.

I have also learned not to trust your general practitioner to treat thyroid issues. For some reason mine decided he needed to be checking my thyroid levels and doing the monitoring instead of my endocrinologist. Dr. Nair intentionally keeps my thyroid level high - not sure of the reason - I think it's a pretty complicated reason. When my gp checked it he decided to lower my dosage of synthroid. Just the week before Dr. Nair had increased the dosage!!! My gp faxed in my new prescription but I told my pharmacist not to fill any thing to do with my thyroid that is prescribed by him! You really have to watch them and be proactive!!

This message was edited Sep 14, 2014 8:22 PM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Is Dr Miller just a surgeon?

Genna, I'm so sorry to hear about Jessica's diagnosis. I hope Charlotte's advice will come in handy and that you can get her to a specialist that she (and you) like better that will do her some good. She is too young to be stressing over this diagnosis just now. Hopefully you will be able to get some better information that just 'deal with it'. I know you will keep digging and doing something until you get better results. Hang in there and tell her to do the same. It's not the end of the world, and I know you will face it and come out strong with your faith behind you! Hugs to you both.

Sandra, I finally played that song on youtube. Beautiful lyrics that mean so much to us. I hope they bring some comfort today.

Charlotte, the snack bags are a great idea and it sounds like they are working out great for Richard and for you. I make up my own jar of energy snacks/trail mix with the large bag of M&Ms, walnuts, cashews and dried cherries or raisins (or both). I keep it in a large jar or cannister with a scoop and if I need to take a bag with me to eat before I work out I can just scoop a bit in a bag. Earl can do the same. It is so much cheaper than the energy bars or trail mix and we can put what we want in it. Thank goodness for Sam's and Costco! BTW, your coleus is really pretty. Don't have a clue what's going on with your obedient plant. I've never grown that one.

That's an interesting combination of ground cover. I would never have thought of it but the texture is great.

From what I was reading briefly about Hashimoto's, it sounds like one of the first treatments is usually thyroid hormone treatments, but a lot depends on the age and symptoms. Women are 7 times more likely to have this disease than men! And of course weight gain, joint/muscle pain, fatigue, inability to get warm, hair loss, irregular menstrual cycles, etc are symptoms. Sounds like Jessica has several of these already. Like Charlotte indicated, she has to have blood work routinely to keep things in check and the amount of medication appropriate. I'm sure with Jessica's age, things can change over time so monitoring would be key. For a doctor to ignore this type of treatment and not to recognize thyroid hormones immediately would be suspect, IMO. I'd sure question why.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna Dr. Miller is also a surgeon but he is a thyroid specialist. I'm not suggesting she needs to have it removed (the last thing I would suggest). But he is a thyroid specialist and can either treat himself or refer her to the appropriate person. He is a good christian man with lots of patience and takes to time to thoroughly explain things as well as being an excellent doctor.

It is very common for women to have thyroid problems. It can also run in families. My mother had thyroid surgery two times also. She had her first surgery around 40 and then again around 60. Of course my last problem was thyroid cancer. My first cousin on my mother's side had thyroid cancer just a few months before they discovered mine. I asked Dr. Miller and he said it is familial. My best friend has had thyroid problems for years and takes synthroid. Like Elaine said it is something that requires constant monitoring. I will of course have to take synthroid the rest of my life. But I don't have a thyroid or parathyroid (those two glands regulate an amazing number of things) and they are able to keep my levels in the appropriate range. My parathyroid gland was destroyed when I had radio active iodine treatment for the cancer. It just requires routine blood work. If I fail to have that done or don't take my meds appropriately my levels will go haywire and I can feel the effects. My potassium level can fall dangerously low and has fallen below the accepted parameters. He tells me to be conscious of certain symptoms like numbness around my mouth, muscle cramps, etc. He tell me what to do if that happens. It doesn't limit my ability to do anything and I feel perfectly fine, it just means constantly monitoring it. She is young to have to start doing that but it is something that the right person should be able to treat. Or at least if they don't feel she needs any hormone replacement therapy now they should be able to explain to her why they feel she doesn't need it. The right doctor should be able to give her a lot more explanation than "just live with it"!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.