What are your THREE most favorite Perennials?

Natick, MA

MsMaati,
Very lovely shade gardens! I enjoyed seeing your photos. I think shade gardens be challenging especially where you have 95% shade

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Nice mix! Love the Begonias between and around the edges.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pam, I have great news, which I will post on the design site.

Remember (above) that I said that Morning Light did not bloom for me for about five years?

Well, hold your horses, babe, because my three first year Morning Lights are blooming. I went out today to continue cleanup and there they were, their burgundy plumes beginning to rise.

So there is no reason why it will not happen for you too. It may be that I am supposedly in zone 5a but I have been seeing zone 5b plants making it. It's dark now, but I will post a pic tomorrow.

Donna

Yippee, loooove that kind of surprise! I posted on the grasses thread, my 3 little plants were joined by a much bigger one, on sale, so maybe I'll get lucky sooner rather than later.

One of my new favorite plants is Verbascum. I had a V Wedding Candles that disappeared after the first season. 2 years later, it showed up elsewhere and became spectacular. Now I have 3 or 4 new ones and have given a couple away.

This year someone gave me two little V Southern Charm, a lovely soft shade of peach - and one is blooming! Yay!

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What gorgeous verbascum. I may need to shove aside some of my salvia and give those a go!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

PFG, did I read that right? It's blooming now? The flower in the picture?

Yes, the little Southern Charm in pics 2 & 3. It only got planted on 10/5, pic below, had a little flower stalk I assumed wouldn't develop any further because of the lateness of the season. But it did :-)

Thumbnail by Pfg
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well it's very pretty!

Thanks, I think so too!

And yes, Donna, you should be able to find a spot or two for this one. Full grown, it gets to 2'-3,' likes sun best but will take some shade, needs well drained soil, average to dry moisture. Easy!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

There are lots of spots that will work.

Thanks!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's a grouping of Southern Charm that I planted this season.....gorgeous, just love 'em! (Thanks to a special pal!)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Wow, they look great! Interesting how well the detail in the individual flowers shows up even en masse and from a distance. I'm really looking forward to seeing mine look like that. Very exciting!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Verbascum 'Southern Charm'? Nice!

(Zone 4b)

"Pfg" wrote:

"One of my new favorite plants is Verbascum. I had a V Wedding Candles that disappeared after the first season. 2 years later, it showed up elsewhere."

Pam. I have a gardener friend who had the same experience as you have described. With a little reading up she discovered that more often than not "V" is a biennial or a short lived perennial...so that would for sure explain what you have described.

(Maybe this has already been mentioned in this thread?)

This message was edited Oct 29, 2014 1:59 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I wish the [quote] and the other HTML tags would work again!!!!

Rouge, I've read that too. That's one reason I'm keeping so many newbies around. I now have one 3- year old, 2, 2 year olds, and 1 first season. Also, I made sure at least one stalk went to seed in place. It should get interesting next year when Southern Charm gets going. I had WC in their spot last year. I'm hoping the foliage of SC keeps the slightly warmer tone so I'll know which is which without having to wait for blooms.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Delphiniums, roses.... can't choose from all the others.
Someone observed that roses almost stop after first flush. Many, many roses are ever blooming. I stay completely away from hybrid teas.

Probably me- I had mostly modern so-called ever-blooming shrub roses. But between the Japanese Beetles, our not quite so full sun and I don't know what else, I had holes where they were supposed to be colorful more often that not. Then this winter did such a job on them I just decided to dump them. I kept only The Fairy, not so great this year because of the cool summer, but usually it earns its place.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 1:21 AM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

That 2 year old iris seedling is gorgeous and has wonderful form. I hope you register it. Who are the parents ? Do you have pictures of the other 2 you might register?

Natick, MA

Blomma, how lovely!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2014 7:42 AM

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 1:23 AM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So beautiful, Blomma, good work! All of the blooms I see are gorgeous. I don't know about hybridizing, except in theory.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

OOOOOOH, just loving all the pix of the Iris blomma, thankyou! Spring is only 7 months away for iris to bloom again...lol.

Thanks ladies. I am hoping they will still be pretty next season so I know whether or not to register them.

Seven months??? It will be a long winter. We are expecting winter weather this week with snow. Kathy are you going to get it also?.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yup, here too. Darn!!!! (I'm still planting! LOL), they were saying what's coming in after this storm will bring even cooler temps! YUCK! I'm soo happy that we've had such a mild fall tho! How are things up your direction? (You're babies are soooo pretty!!!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with next spring too! How many newbies will be blooming next season for the first time? And those you posted pix of this season, when will you be registering them and available in commerce?)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm still planting too. I got the last of the lilies and most of the tulips in yesterday. I always promise myself that I won't be planting in November but it never works. It DID keep me from jumping into the Old House Garden blowout. I have a credit there and I was looking at the double hyacinths, which I had at my former home, but then I remembered that I always thought them kind of naked, so I always planted them with anemone blanda, and then I would have to figure out where to put them, and they wouldn't be coming for a week, and then I'd be further in November....so I restrained myself.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good work, Donna! Seems I do more restraining myself than planting these days.....

Natick, MA

Restraint is not easy, but it's getting LATE. I tell myself I'm done now (with planting) but was planting a few stragglers that arrived late last week....now looking forward to winter sowing (my first year). Have NOT shown restraint with seed purchases!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Iris are beautiful.
Still planting as well. I planted tulips, hyacinths, crocus and alliums today. Also planted pansies where they will bloom and stay healthy pretty much all winter long for me.

I have a few tulips I am going to force indoors yet to get planted in a container.

I'm doing final mulching and bringing in the hoses and timers. I got my bulbs in last week, only one or two plants still left in pots to be dealt with. This is the first year I'm not still doing major overhauls of perennial beds... Maybe because I've been so taken up with the new clearing project. But even that is done for this year.

Now I have to get the house ready for family Thanksgiving, not so far away!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I brought in a tender abelia and it is looking quite nice in a pot on my patio. I put in the second of the two Lindsey Anne hydrangeas. I remembered that I had some lilies in pots on the patio, and they are now in the ground. And I pulled in the peppers that were forming, that I planted so late. I really need to bring them into the house (four pots) if I want peppers all winter, but I am a bit concerned about bugs. The only thing that's left to do is put in the very last tulips, and now that everything else is in I can pick a spot. Then I think I am going to burlap my oakleaf and macrophylla hydrangeas. I want more flowers next year!

Must get the callas off the patio too!

I also put hardware cloth around a couple of roses that tend to get chewed. I use yard clips to anchor it. And a last grass cutting.

This is the first year, perhaps ever, that I actually got everything done. I have always lost something to frost that could have been saved. It looks like this year will be the exception. Which seems overdue, since I have had a garden since 1998!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I didn't know it was possible to get EVERYTHING done. :) Good work!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

You are very sweet!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, Carrie--I have to agree! Gardens are never done.

Still have perennials in pots that need to be buried. Found six sports on my daylilies I cut off and potted up. I hope they will make it. Any ideas?

I had to go to three places to get bone meal.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 1:25 AM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yup, moving Iris sometimes sets back bloom for a season, and last years bloom cycle was off from the previous season...am hoping next spring is a good one yet... I still have almost 200 to put in the ground yet if ma nature cooperates....Big IF!!!! Yesterday morning was minus 14 in Denver. Too brry too early.... but got 5 1/2" of snow for insulation on all the perenns I've been planting lt. summer to this past week... Ya, I agree, move this back into LATE Jan or skip it all together...lol. Put soooo many new plants this year, not sure what all my favs will be yet. am thinking there are about 1500-2000 perenns in the back now and most were put in this season Aug. to now. ...(at least 1000-1200). Busy, busy, busy.... I'm ready to relax...and almost thankful for the snow...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Kathy, you really have been the Energizer bunny for months. I've been seeing your posts about all the planting you've been doing, but these pics are just mind boggling. You must feel really good about it now especially after all the setbacks you've had. Good for you!!!!

...and I can't wait to see what happens next year! 😃

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy, I'm in awe!

And your reward will be an early development of all of the wonderful work that you have done.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you ladies! I'm soo thankful for alllll the wonderful trades thru this past season, it's amazing how many goodies I received from people here at Dave's. Also moving some of my daughter's garden, along with great early and end of season sales and some divisions from my main border. Should be amazing, I hope everything makes it thru the winter, these early cold temps have had me wondering....... I would have liked to have gotten some things mulched but hadn't gotten that far along before the temps fell. Soooo, I'll just have to see how everything made it thru the winter...hope all the watering helped! I neglected my main border most of the season so have some work out there yet if weather allows.. (weeds)..oh ya and seed collecting. More snow on the way this afternoon, should be less than an iinch...and then warmer temps coming back in for the rest of the week. Hope everyone else got all there gardens tucked away for the year...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.