Fish today

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Leftovers are the best part of a large meal. Always taste better second time around.

Well our new lab Hershey likes the large pond. Keeping her in back yard but yesterday took her out in front and first thing she did was jump into pond and she couldn't get out. She and I both got wet. Today started basic obedience training. I was trained up north when I had a kennel and bred choc. poodles. Never forgot wheat I learned. Thank God for choke chains or she would drag me all over the yard. Takes patience but she will learn. She has chewed all the insulation off our water pipes and chewed up a few other things but that's puppy fashion.
Looking forward to her settling down. She does love the dog house Charlie built a few years back. It's 4X4 and has 2 mattresses in it with a lift up roof for cleaning. I saw it on line and it was $2,000. which was ridiculous for us so he built it. Was glad she took to it right away. We have only had her 3 days so training began today. She is doing good at walking in pasture with Charlie and leaving cows alone. She runs around down there like crazy.

Well got to get busy.
Merry Christmas to all and enjoy family and friends.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I love labs! We were just talking last night that if we ever moved and got a yard again, we'd get a lab! Somwething to accept all the lovin' of the grandbabies, and also accept the koi.

:)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Kids and grands and great grands were here for a while Christmas afternoon and they all played with Hershey. She loved all the attention. She is chewing up everything she gets her teeth on. Charlie loves her so he is putting up with it all very well. Guess old age has mellowed him.

Took her out front once and she jumped right into large pond. Funny part was I had to pull her out. Gates to front are now closed but I will train her to not dig up plants soon. She didn't go after the fish which surprised me. Hope she never does that.

How is your pond coming along M. Mary? I'm sure in new year you will get it all finished and it will be beautiful.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My ponds are covered with oak tree blooms. Have to scoop them out twice a day. Need to build screening on folding frame. Someday.

Weather sure has warmed up fast so much pruning needed also.l

Happy spring all.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Yeah. We are sitting with full sun, 40F and snow and ice melting. Pond is about 1/3 clear of ice. boy is the bottom mucky.

Spent 2 hours scooping oak blooms! GRRRRR!!!! Have 2 floating skimmers, but they don't seem to go in, and then sink to the bottom once they absorb water. My water quality is horrible right now, it's just a stew of fuzzy blooms. I keep adding sludge buster and trying to scoop as fast as possible, but it's winning. I may just have to suck it up and wait 2 weeks until the trees are done blooming.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Will be so glad when oaks stop dropping all their blooms.

Charlie said want to screen it all. He's loopy. That would cost a fortune due to irregular shape it would have to be to cover both ponds.

I have to keep scooping or else skimmers clog up and water can't get to pumps down inside.

More fun. YUK

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Oberon,
So glad you are thawing out. Wonderful. Soon you will be able to see all your fish.

My ponds are so brown right now it's hard to see any of them. Oak blooms are like M. Mary said. Make a real mess. This too shall pass and I can't wait.

Spring is on the way!!!

For sure although DH keeps warning me we could still take another drop in temp and snow but it won't last, either the cold or the snow. All my beds are coming out of the snow, not just the higher up ones.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

We are supposed to be up in the 80's this week. Looks like we are skipping spring. I don't really like the heat for such a long time but I can't change it.

I counted 3 pepper plants on 1 plant today that I have had in a pot since last summer. Was so shocked to see them growing now. Also, little nectarine tree has 7 on it which I have had for years and never saw a thing except leaves. Strange. I am really guarding them and hope to see them ripen. Never had a real good fresh one. Store bought are like rocks and never sweet.

My son is so excited (and me to) about koi show this Sat. We both want to find a little kahaku to brighten up small pond. Large fish are out of our budget range but I don't mind growing them out. Haven't seen any herons since we popped that one off that ate 1/2 of small pond full of fish.

Happy ponding all.

Pond is iced over again as weather is down in single digits at night and only teens in the day.

I'm working so hard on just getting decent water quality again, not even expecting "good"...just "decent"..... The oak pollen has made a total mess of my water, its a sludge pit. Have been changing the filter sponges every day, it's beginning to look a tad better. At least I can see images of fish. Man, what a season! Glad I don't have allergies!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Know just what you mean M. Mary but oak bloom is stopping now. We are brainstorming how to make workable covers for ponds.

Athens, PA

Wow! I have allergies. I cannot imagine.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Even my screened swimming pool has that yellow residue around the top. That's another clean up story. I'd better get it ready for swimming cause it looks like we are going right into summer and skipping spring. Supposed to be 87 today. That means a long summer. UG!!

Athens, PA

I will take your 87 degrees.

At least it is raining here instead of snowing.

Bonnie,
Did you make it to the koi show? Some real beauties there, but waaaaaay out of my price range! My blunders can kill a 3grand fish as easily as a $100 fish, so I'll stay on the low end. I made it out there today (Sunday) finally, and got the jumbo sized bio-falls, usually $700 for $200, so they didn't have to pack it up and haul it back. Yipppeeeee! I've been trying to get my hands on one (in my price range!) forever!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, we spent most of Sat. there. After getting up and finding 4 good sized fish dead in small pond I wasn't happy. Scooped them out immediately threw in bag in freezer and will bury later.
Joe White long time judge etc. told me too much oak bloom formed too much ammonia coupled with the fact I forgot to turn pumps back on night before after feeding. When I tested water it was .25 in ammonia.
Missed church yesterday and did major cleanout. Removed the few fish that were left and PW and vacuumed right down to liner and also cleaned all rocks along sides. Put 4 in large pond and 3 small ones in tub until refill was done. Pond looks empty with just 3 little guys. One that survived is Jeff's wakeen which he dearly loves. Blackwater Creek had some but sold out on Fri. Said people were lined up waiting for them.

I saw an all white with red large spot on head, can't think of name right now, vendor wanted $700. for it so I left it right there. Didn't buy a thing. Jeff paid $100. for a platinum o-gon which is in quarenteen for a week or so now. Guy from SC did have Chinese high fin sharks about 5" for $100. so didn't get them either.

I enjoyed Jeff's company and he treated me to nice lunch plus bought me their t-shirt with logo for this years show. Weather was perfect for show.

Did you happen to notice no butterflys in show tanks? One judge said if you want to win show kahakues or one other type. Doubt I'll ever show again. Too much risk. Lots of the fish were rolling over and they said it was do to PH change in show tanks. We are going to Sandy Acres Fish Farm in Dunellon where they have good variety and much better prices.

Glad you got your bio-falls at a good price. What stage are you at with your larger pond now?
I'm sure you are nearing completion. Hope I get an invite over to see it.

Jeff's friend has a fish he is willing to swap me for an ugly one of mine. It's orange with huge black scales and I thought it was pretty. Went to see his pond last week. He has broken all the rules in the book but his fish have multiplied and are living. He lost a few at first but now seems to have stabilized. He finally bought a UV clarifier but only runs it now and then never all the time. Whatever works. His pond is all cement with falls built also of cement with a sheet of glass where it outflows and has perfect smooth falls.

My falls house is covered with ugly black & green gunk from where water hits on it so we have to do something with it. Always something going on.

I met 2 women at show that said a pond is nice to sit next to and no work. Their husbands were there and said yeah not for you. I could tell by all the makeup and polished nails they didn't work on a pond. Wouldn't that be nice. LOL

Well its about 5:30am so time to put laundry in and do a few house chores as I need to get back to working on those roman shades. I'm hoping this will be my last public job. Really want to sell workroom and turn it back into nice large family room. Lots of work to do on that.
Needs new ceiling, flooring etc. so I'm sure I'll stay out of trouble for a few more months.

Good luck finishing up your pond. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Bonnie

Athens, PA

Bonnie - Sounds like you had a great time at the koi show. I wish they had them closer to here. You now have me thinking about getting involved with the koi club that is in Rochester, - but it is 3 hours away, which is why I have not done that in the past.

MM - I will stay on the low end too moving forward with fish. I spent a fortune on fish and as you indicated, it doesn't matter if it is an expensive fish or inexpensive fish - things can still happen.

Mary - we too are thawing out. I have been anxious to get out in my gardens, but I am still waiting for the snow to melt. I was quite excited to see snowdrops pushing their way out of the ground.

Bonnie,
True koi enthusiasts do not see butterfly koi as valid. They are an American breed that has only been around for a short while, so traditionalists don't have much to do with them. But hey, I'm an American, and I prefer them due to their beauty. The longer the fins, the more I like them. Same thing with the true red and white kohaku and red, white, and black sanke. Those are traditional colors, so merit higher to the traditionalists. So of course, I have several that are traditional but with butterfly (hirenaga) fins. I like what I like!
I thought some of the goldfish were interesting, I saw the large black one that looked like a pug. My grandson was with me (he has 2 black pugs) and he thought it was a riot! I told him I thought Ms Bonnie needed it, and he agreed. Apparently you didn't get our vibes and go home with it. :)
Acorns and oak pollen are very toxic...it raises the ammonia and makes a sludge that doesn't break down quickly, so it blocks the little hair like fibers in the koi's gills and chokes them. If I ONLY owned a cherry picker! I'd get rid of every single branch, as none of the trees are mine, they just overhang my yard! I'm sorry to hear you lost some fish over it! I added the portable floating skimmers to try and help stay on top of it, and double loaded the sludge buster bacteria.
I've never heard of Sandy Acres, I'll look it up!

Just need to put the new bio-falls up on the top of the cement block support, and get the rocks placed throughout the water fall. I have the liner for it, the crafty part will be connecting the liner so it doesnt leak!

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Of course I never waited for the falls to be done in order to fill it and let the fish have their space! I'm hoping to finish the falls and planting by Easter. March is always my busiest month at work, so it's a very sloooooow process!

Thumbnail by MerryMary Thumbnail by MerryMary

Bonnie, you're invited to a cold tea on the deck once it's up and running and not a health hazard! :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I talked to a couple of judges over at show and they didn't care for my opinion on butterfly. I told them they far outshine the straight sided ones for beauty. I'll never haul mine over there again due to the sickness we went through when we got home with bladder problems. It was my favorites Goldy & Blondie. Saw the pug faced fish. Not my type.

When it comes to joining lining good luck. Charlie tried it with the black tape made for ponds but it didn't work. Maybe if you start from top down and overhang the pond part it would work ok. Not an expert on stopping leaks just getting them.

You are within legal right to cut off any limbs that overhang into your yard. If they are so high you need a bucket lift that's difficult and expensive to have done. Sherri Edwards said some guy with a chainsaw hired by her next door neighbor butchered her whole fence line of large plants right down to top of fence.
Sent me a pic and really butchered it. She had been growing it for many years. Bummer.

BTW when I tested the small pond for ammonia it showed .25. That didn't seem too high to me but usually I get a 0 reading which I know is what it's supposed to be. Oh well live and learn.

Sandy Acres Koi Farm is www.sandyacreskoifarm.com. Owners are Pat & Joe 6633 W. Dunklin St. Dunnellon, Fl. 352-564-0373. Kinda out in the country. They sell fish, plants,
fish food and pond supplies.

Just remembered the fish I wanted at the koi show. Toncho and it was $700. Needless to say it's not in my pond.

I am so happy that you are nearing completion with your pond. I just love streams and more noise made by the water. Puts me to sleep. Jeff said watching the fish is a good BP reducer.
I think he's right. Unfortunately now he has BP problems and is diabetic. Family tradition. I'm not diabetic yet and hope not to be.

Good luck with your construction project.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn,
Glad you are thawing out and hope not all your fish are dead. Winter up there this year was really brutal. Hope no more snow this year.

Athens, PA

Thanks Bonnie.

I am hoping we are done with it too. Hubs wants to move to Florida - it's me that keeps on saying no. He keeps telling me I could have my pond year round. My family is all up this way though and they are more important to me than braving the cold and snow.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take your fish to the show. I would think they would be a breeding ground for fish disease and problems. Sometimes it is difficult enough with out exposing the fish to more problems.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

At show fish have their own tank but all the moving I think stresses them out. Don't care if they win ribbons or not anyway.

Heck I was hopping you would consider moving down this way. I know what it's like leaving all your family but all my kids were little when we moved here so they are not far away except one and he's too far. California. They are coming for a visit in June. Can't wait. We don't get to see them very often. Got to spruce up the yard and the house.

I'm almost done with those 2 roman shades then it's outside for me. I'm not the indoor type at all. When forced in by the heat that's bad enough. That's why I like to get outside and work at daylight.

Hope you didn't loose all your fish.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I am in need of a new pump for a 500-1,000 gallon pond that will last longer than three years. I am not satisfied with what I have been getting from 123 ponds. Any suggestions.

Athens, PA

What brand is your pump?

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Cal pump

Athens, PA

Pond master is a good brand. We have been switching over to Easy Pro. They seem to be sturdier and they are warranted to last longer. My oldest one of the Easy Pro is the 8th or 9th season. You will pay a bit more, but they do last.

I shop with Webbs online and Dr Foster and Smith.

I am sure others like other pumps as well.

Decatur, GA

I have been very happy with my Tetra Pond Debris Handling pump. It doesn't require a pre-pump filter. I have had mine for years and it runs 24/7 year round. Its at least 6 yrs old. I've lost track.

You can get them other places.

http://www.amazon.com/TetraPond-Debris-Handling-Pump-DHP3600-watts/dp/B001QILRW0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431526528&sr=8-2&keywords=tetra+pond+pumps

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Never had a pump that lasted over 2 1/2 years but I keep buying the same brand cause they replace them for free. Husb. set up connection so that all it involves is loosing a pipe clamp and taking old out and setting new in and tightening pipe clamp which I can do fine myself.

For mothers day my son got me a fish I have been wanting in a swap. Had an ugly matsuba I wanted to get rid of so his friend exchanged it for the one of his I wanted. It's only about 1 1/2 feet and its in with the big guys but it will grow.

Right now both ponds have good water quality and clarity. It's very hot here now so I wash out filters more often I'm sure that helps plus the pondzyme and microblift that's in there.

M. Mary can't wait to see your ponds and enjoy some tea. I'm sure it is all very beautiful.

Bought a voodoo lily and for 3 days have been trying to decide where to plant it. Needs shade and that's ok I have a couple of places I could put it but have to move some plants out first.

My pond is not moving along very quickly, that's for sure! I just got a large skimmer and a retro bottom drain (so I dont have to cut through the liner). I'm trying to figure out how to install all of it. I'm not good at plumbing if it's larger than a 1inch hose that just needs a hose clamp! :)
I switched from the Aquascape falls, to a large bio-filter. Now I have to reconstruct some of the cement blocking I had in place because it's a different size and shape. Someday it will get done.....sommmmmedaaaaay.... :)
At least I haven't killed any fish lately! Hooray!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's a good site for identifying koi:
http://www.thekoikeepers.com/varietythumbs/page_0007.html.

Hope I copied it right.

When you click on the link, leave the period off of the end and you'll get to the page.

http://jnfkoifarms.com/symptomsofkoi.html

This is such a great reference article!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Great reference MM. Thanks

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO ALL.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY THAT GAVE SO MUCH FOR OUR FREEDOM.

BONNIE

Athens, PA

Happy Memorial Day to you too Bonnie!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.