Fish today

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Then there's a solid orange, an orange with white stomach, white with orange spots, black with orange stomach...

Thumbnail by MerryMary

And white with red lips (kuchibeni)

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Athens, PA

MM - you are making great progress.

Wish it was hot here. We have had a rather cool summer. I am hoping that is not an indication of the winter.

My fish are eggy too. I do know there was one time in September that they spawned. I cannot remember how many years ago that was. But with the weather cooling off like it has in the last couple of weeks, I am wondering if I should be concerned?

Dont be concerned unless they look like theyre struggling health-wise. Hard to swim, hard to eat, lethargic overall. I can post pics of one of mine that died fromjust being too eggy. (They're sort of gooey, but also informative for those who are concerned)

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks to you all for help with our pond. I am planning on power washing the exterior rocks first. I haven't seen any hatchling but may not know what to look for. I have seen the koi spanning in the plants though. My first concern is to clear up the water. Clarifier isn't doing the job. The scum doesn't bother hubby....hmmmmmm

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't know what red wags are but sounds interesting. I am familiar with guppies. You sure have some unusual looking gold fish.
Looking forward to plants. I do have a couple of high planters in larger pond and so far the elephant ears in them fish have not gotten to. They haven't demolished the old floating island Jeff made me yet. I put 2 broms in there with sweet flag and guess they don't like it. Need to get that floating ring made.

Peg, glad you are moving forward with your pond. Could the UV clarifier need a new bulb. I usually replace mine every year. They may light up but filament goes out according to mfg. My pool is greener than my ponds. The heat and all the rain we had helps algae grow. I'm super chlorinating it now.

Carolyn, not sure you would want the volume of heat we are having now. Staying up in the high 90's.
Take care all, Bonnie D.

Peg...Bonnie is correct, even though your UV light glows, it still may need a bulb replacement. I change mine out once a year too. I get really good deals on ebay.

Athens, PA

MM -

Thank you for your help. My fish are not showing any health problems or lethargy at all. Just kind of big. I will just keep an eye on things. There was 1 point where I had thought there had been spawning, but nobody seemed to be getting their girlish figures back.

Bonnie - I like the 90's. We didnt have a lot of that this year.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Was 97 yesterday with heat index feels like 104. Supposed to be same today. We need rain to break up this heat some plus plants thrive in the heat release rain. Rain drops temps a little but certainly what you could call cool.

Stay cool all in the south. LOL

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I am not using a UV light and am not sure of what it is. Guess I will google that too.

A UV light kills water algae and some disease. My water stays crystal clear all year with the UV light attached to the hose where the water goes back into the pond. Some filters have UV attachments that go inside the filter box, some pressure filters have built in ones. They come in different sizes, depending on how many gallons your pond is. People with green water problems clear up their water in just a few days by adding a UV light.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

It's a good idea to also check the price of the bulb they take as they can be very pricey. Learned that the hard way.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't think I ever saw one in a pond....hmmmmm interesting

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine are plumbed into main water line that runs to waterfalls and are up outside of ponds on
the ground and I try to hide them with plants. Sure makes a lot of difference to keeping water clear. If I remember correctly there are some that can go into pond but mind have always been outside.
happy ponding!!

We had a windy storm yesterday evening. Apparently, that was enough to trigger my koi to spawn this morning. I'll go out and try to salvage a few eggs, but don't have time left this summer to try and raise fry. The water temps have been very very warm.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Found two of our koi with raised sores. Any suggestions

Open sores are usually bacterial....raised sores are often viral. Look up some of the pictures of koi viruses.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks MM. This info certainly helps.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Some very helpful sites. Pondrx.com. Also, http://www.koi-pondguide.com. Crystal Creek Pond Supply LLC has good info. More good info. on Webb's Water Gardens has Aqua Meds Water Guide on it. www.Koicrisis.com. www.koicrisis.com

MM can attest to my having lots of experiences over the years with sick fish. It's all a learning process we ponders seem to go through.

Good luck with curing your fish. They can be cured.

Bonnie

We ALL just learn by trial and painful error....Some of us have more experience and information to offer, but it's because of years of blessing followed by years of "oh crud, what the heck just happened???"

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

MM this was an "oh crud" day. Went out t his morning and knew fish in smaller pond hadn't been eating for a week or so. Jeff's largest one was dead and in a few minutes my bluish looking one was gone also. Tested water. Was off the charts in a crazy way so went and bought a new test kit, pumped all water out down to there fins and refilled and added some Proform-C. Tested again and all was right. Bought some smaller and softer food for them. I'm hoping they will start eating. There were no signs of ulcers, scratches, or anything else on either fish. This one really has me confused.
There was a lot of old food clogging up screen on skimmer and pump was almost running dry yesterday so I cleaned all that out and it rain fine all night. I'm wondering if that caused an ammonia spike but didn't show that on second test. Only other thing that has been pond lately is a huge frog which I removed today. Water has always been clear not that that's a guarantee of water quality. Oh well that's life.

What?? That's crazy!
I know mine have been eating only half of what they did. Maybe they know it's fall and have that "animal instinct" about them? Odd that something didn't show up ahead of time, like fish all crowding around the outlet for oxygen or something.
Are you continuing to add good bacteria on a regular basis? I get the sludge tabs and throw 2 in a month...just to keep things happening. I also try to backwash the filters from time to time, but totally clean it out every 3 months.
I'm so sorry about the loss of fish though! That one always hurts! I have 100 1 inchers, so once they get big enough to put in a pond, I'll be MORE than happy to give you a bag full!
I still have SO many things for you! 2 kitties, night blooming water lily, tropical water lily, purple stemmed taro, red platys for your koi fountain bowl, guppies, lotus tuber, etc....
My grandson asks when we're going to see Miss Bonnie...I told him SOON, I'm running out of room! :)

Let me know if you need help with the pond. I don't have lots of time, but if you can use me for a 2 hour block, I'm yours!

Finally getting somewhere with my pond. Don't have the waterfall stream done yet...but couldn't wait anymore for the larger part of the pond! It's not crooked at the top left, it just looks that way because the liner overflow is leaning over the top of the capper blocks.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Bonnie, the lily in the corner is the one I'm holding for you.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Fish are back to normal and eating a little bit. I think the 1/4" pellets were not to their liking so I got smaller little sticks that are softer. Water temp is still 70 so I'm feeding just not as much. I put in new bacteria cause I pumped pond down very low. They never did show any signs of piping. I've got microblift PL and I use that. Water is very clear. Bought a new test kit as I didn't know chemicals were only good for 6 mos. After refill when I tested all tests were fine in both ponds. Don't think you have been here since we got larger fish.

I've been so sick with a cold I'm dragging but it's going away now. I'm just taking it easy. It is really a wonderful feeling not to have a job to worry about getting to.

Old pond could stand a few more fish. The black & white you gave me a couple of years ago is doing good and I named it Orca.

Your pond looks wonderful. I knew you would get er done. I'm anxious to get your report on the bead filters performance. I have some cranberry hibiscus potted up and also a jatropha matifida for you. You can easily multiply them.

Looking forward to seeing you and your grandson. He's such a handsome little guy.

Going down down down in temps tonight! Was in the 80's this past weekend ( I actually have a sunburn!) Tonight will be freezing temps, hard freeze just north of me. Not sure how my 1 inch fry from this summer's late spawning will survive. This weekend again, back to 80's. What the heck...?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

It's time for the crazy weather fluctuations. Been down on Audreys ranch for 2 days helping her get ready for a birthday dinner for our friend who is turning 90.
As soon as I got home I checked the fish. Nobody belly up yet due to the cold. Got down to 38 here Charlie said. Won't be feeding them unless water warms up. Last winter was up and down also. Heck, it's better than being in Minn. I feel bad for those folks.

Take care and have a great Thanksgiving.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

A BLESSED THANKSGIVING TO ALL.

Thanks Bonnie! And to you, and all, as well! Been cooking all day, made 4 pies for my daughters in-laws...and 4 for us! Bird goes in the oven tomorrow morning at some point. The rest I got done today and it's all ready to pop in the oven tomorrow while the parade is on TV.
Blessings to all of you! :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Really cranking out the Christmas cookies now. 5 recipes done and more to go.
Makes for great plates to pass out and deliver to those who are shut in.

Hope you all have a GREAT Christmas with loved ones and friends.

Bonnie

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

got the ingredients to make fruit cake, cardamom bread, and LOTS of cookies for baskets. Looking forward to the best Christmas ever.

LOVE cardamom! Most people don't use it. Finally got the inside of the house decorated, so on with the cookie baking! I get the 2 gallon ziploc bags from the Dollar Store and freeze them (or the dough) as a go along. I wish Christmas was 2 months long, I love it!

I just make up baskets and freeze the over flow. Damien will take care of disposing of those (over flow) in short order. lol.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm with MM. I love Christmas and the spirit of it should last all year long.

Everyone enjoy this blessed season!!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Next on the list of baking is CARDAMON Scones! Just finished a double batch of Caramelcorn which we packaged into festive bags and put into Christmas/Holiday mugs. Big sale today to sell our sewing/quilting goods.

I also am making popcorn balls. Will put them in cellophane bags individually. Have baked three kinds of cookies and made a real fruit cake (weighs a ton) yesterday. Not being able to taste any of it is a blessing in disguise. No temptation to eat the product. lol. Maybe next Christmas. Family starts arriving this week from Texas, Washington, and Fairbanks (AK). Need to stop baking and start cleaning. :(

So far only have Snickerdoodles and Almond Brickle butter cookies completed. Cut-Out cookie dough today, both regular and chocolate.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I can tell u all are in the Christmas spirit. I know those popcorn balls and caramel corn will taste great. Never had them but just the thought sounds appetizing.

Mary your cookies sound yummie. Is your fam. from Ohio coming down?

Yesterday I put tog. 35 dishes of cookies and today will give most away at church. That's the most enjoyable part..

Bonnie

Had me going there for a moment Bonnie. Family from Ohio??? I thought I was really losing it if I forgot some of my very small family. lol

No Bonnie, no one from Ohio this year. They were here at the beginning of November, so won't be back. Just those of us who live in Florida...probably only 10-12. I cook and bake the same, no matter how many attend, it just means there are more leftovers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.