August 2014 Blooms

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Haha funny man.. I have 2 bunches thank you very much!!! LOL

I have one more scape! lol

1 Veg from the garden
2 GHOST CHILI!!
3 My coffee partner in the mornings
5- Veg Garden
4- Is a funny story. Tyler brought me home a inky dinky seedling for mothers day and we planted it. Watered it every day lol..then we went to the zoo on a hot day. He went to check it the next day and it was a dried out twig. He was so upset it wasnt growing I went back out later and dumped a pack of sunflower seeds in its place lol..yep it started growing!!! MANY!! LOL

Theres your random pics. Love everyones blooms!! keep posting!!! :)

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Badcat, the garden is coming along. Send those boys over here I have some work for them to do. LOL!!! No one will be without food at your house this winter. Which plant has the scape?
Susan that is a nice flower. Instead of tossing the "rust bucket" you should give it away to someone who will take it.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

LOL Waiting for fall to Can it all up! Thats only 1 freezer, have another one. Ok but you have to feed them every 10 mins, I swear haha.

Its either, Catapult Sam or Static Shock..Got them mixed up this summer lol going to get ID'd ;)
Cosmopolitan is sending up one too, noticed it when I was feeding rabbits today. Ill check out front today and see whats up there.

Going to post a few pics later, 1 Hibiscus and 1 DL. See if anyone knows what they are. DL should be easy, been narrowed down to 2

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Lord Baltimore??

Baby Scape lol

Either WRENS SONG or HOW LOVELY YOU ARE...thoughts?

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all - been missing in action and trying to catch up! Ya'll have been BUSY posting and posting!! Beautiful blooms!! Love them all! Welcome Mary - loved the Lily that Mike attached the link to! Absolutely gorgeous - but then I love yellows.

I actually have a DL reblooming..... unfortunately, I can't find the tag so I don't know the name. I took this pic this past Saturday in the rain, but it was blooming again yesterday and still has 6 more buds on it! It is so awesome to have blooms in mid August....usually my blooms end in July. I guess our cooler and somewhat wetter summer has helped them survive the shorter periods of intense heat. Plus, we haven't broken 100 degrees but once I think all summer!! YAY!!! That is really good for us! In fact, they were saying on the weather that we have only had 26 days I believe with temps in the 90s. Almost unbelievably for us!

We went up North on vacation - and the temps here were as cool as where we were while we were gone. Was in the upper 90s the week before we left - so the cooler temps and a couple of rain showers helped my sister in dealing with the plants while we were gone.

Genna

Thumbnail by gen2026
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from badcat :
Haha funny man.. I have 2 bunches thank you very much!!! LOL

I have one more scape! lol

1 Veg from the garden
2 GHOST CHILI!!
3 My coffee partner in the mornings
5- Veg Garden
4- Is a funny story. Tyler brought me home a inky dinky seedling for mothers day and we planted it. Watered it every day lol..then we went to the zoo on a hot day. He went to check it the next day and it was a dried out twig. He was so upset it wasnt growing I went back out later and dumped a pack of sunflower seeds in its place lol..yep it started growing!!! MANY!! LOL

Theres your random pics. Love everyones blooms!! keep posting!!! :)

badcat,

I love your random pictures! I was not actually expecting a picture of the inside of someones freezer but I did like it! I do not think you will be going hungry anytime soon! I love your beautiful yard and fence and little boys. That is a very nice sunflower too, and hummingbird. :)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from badcat :
Lord Baltimore??

Baby Scape lol

Either WRENS SONG or HOW LOVELY YOU ARE...thoughts?

The daylily is not Wren's Song because it has no golden/yellow ruffled edge. If you get a chance you should get one, it is gorgeous!

I do think it is, 'How Lovely you are'!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from HazelCrestMikeB :
Badcat, the garden is coming along. Send those boys over here I have some work for them to do. LOL!!! No one will be without food at your house this winter. Which plant has the scape?
Susan that is a nice flower. Instead of tossing the "rust bucket" you should give it away to someone who will take it.

Mike,

Great idea, I will include that on my trade list. I got rid of the rust buckets real fast because the spores travel quickly by wind, etc.
If I happen to find any more they will be free to a good home or else they will jump into someones box if I do a trade. LOL.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Uh, is that an okay thing to do -- passing on a diseased plant?? just wondering....

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh, Mary,
I will dip them before I give them to anyone. If they are rust susceptible it just means they will get it if conditions are right. Repeated freezes will kill it over the winter so most people up north just let it go till winter, it does not show up till fall anyway. I am just now getting it and they are done blooming so I just cut them down. They usually start growing back before winter and there is no rust.

I am not sure if rust is a disease, it does not kill the plant it just makes it ugly and unattractive. Kind of like black spot on roses. I purchased rust resistant daylilies but I still get it. Others say it is not as bad and you just trim off the bad parts and can still have an attractive plant. I had one last year that was literally covered with it, the hybridnizer said it was not prone to rust. How do they know what gets rust and what doesn't if they keep spraying everything with chemicals.

If you want to know the truth about a plant just watch it and see what happens. I am not understanding how a plant can build resistance if they never get it. Maybe this is why the older plants have more resistance. I hope so!
Mary if you get any daylilies in the mail, just dip them in a 10% bleach solution and throw all the packing materials in the trash, just in case they have spores you will not spread them.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

WB Genna!

VaRose- Thanks just random stuff! All I got! lol HLYA is what I was leaning towards as well, thank you ma'am! :)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, Welcome back! Are you babies back to school, yet?

Badcat, I'm with Susan, I think it's How lovely You Are.

Mary, It's not OK, to send rust covered plants to southern states. They don't get cold enough temps in winter to kill the rust.
Northern gardener's ( zone 6 and lower) don't have to worry about rust. Our winters kill rust. We have to clean up the foliage in fall, to prevent rust from overwintering on spent foliage.
If someone is going to ship a rusty plant they need to make people aware they are sending a plant with rust. Steps can be taken reduce the risk of rust transfer. Striping the foliage back and soaking in bleach water, or with a fungicide.

Thanks guys. I knew that you were all too responsible to send off bad plants, and yet I kept reading when someone had rust "oh, just dig it up and pass it on". So I figured there was some sort of answer. I have no doubt our winters would kill off any spores.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

No, mine are not in school yet, we start the move in process next week. I will be off work on Monday to move my daughter into her on campus apartment. That is the first day they are allowed to move in - and the only day her roommate can move in because her Mom has a chemo treatment later in the week. So, we are supposed to be there close to 8 am to start hauling everything up stairs! :) Then Jessica will stay until Tuesday afternoon. She will come back home Tuesday night and work on Wednesday and Thursday and then will go back to school to stay. They start classes the following Tuesday. My son is going back on Wednesday afternoon, mainly because that is when his fiance is moving in. Thankfully, most of his stuff is already in the apartment from last year - just have to haul back his tv and bikes and clothes, etc. He will stay once he goes back. :( I sure dread it - my house always seems so very empty when they leave! My dogs will really miss all the extra people for attention as well.

I have some awesome news to share with everyone - most of you know that my husband has been having to work 100 miles from home. He has been there 18 months, and for the past 11 months he has been driving daily. And, many of you also know that I took a job transfer that was 75 miles away for two months back at the first of the year, but then made the decision to come back home. While we were on vacation, he received an offer to transfer back here to the town that we live in! We are beyond excited! He officially starts here in town on Monday! - although because his boss is out of town, he will actually have to drive to a down about 80 miles away for this first week. But they will be paying him for his time, and mileage - so much better than what we have been dealing with! Plus, after that, he will only be driving about 10 miles to work and from there he will be driving their vehicle! He has worked for AT&T for 15 years this past July and this will be the first time he has got to report to our town. He has always had to drive every day - but it was only 45 - 55 miles one way until 18 months ago. This will give him back 4 hrs of his day and hopefully relieve a lot of stress! This long commuting has really aged him..............and I am so thankful that he is finally getting a chance to stay home. No real word on my job situation - but hopefully I will get to stay as well, and maybe eventually life can get back to normal - whatever that is! ^_^ Totally off topic I know - just wanted to share our good news!!

Genna

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Genna thats great news!!! Congrats!!! :D

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your DH. You must feel so relieved. You've had this stressful situation for so long. God Bless, you both. I'm so happy, for you! :-)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Great news Genna!!!!! That is an awful drive to have to go to work. Things should be a lot less stressful for you now.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna that's great news for sure. He can have his sanity back. Good news is never off topic.
Illini Maiden
Noid has been blooming for a long time.
Stella's Ruffled Fingers
Centerton One - doubling
Mapping Pennsylvania

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Genna, sounds like answered prayer for sure!! I am so happy for you!!

Very pretty Mike!

Such a variety. Love them all.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Just a few left blooming:

LADY NEVA, TECHNY PEACH LACE, BARACUDA BAY, MOONLIGHT SAIL, RUFFLED STRAWBERRY PARFAIT,

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

AUTUMN JEWELS, LILTING BELLE, WISEST OF WIZARDS, & SEEDLING LIGHTHOUSE DIVINE X SKINWALKER(first year bloom)

Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady Thumbnail by hemlady
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Very pretty Cindy!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Susan!!!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Love those bright colors!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy looking good. Love that seedling. A few that was spotted recently.
Affairs Of The Heart - reblooming
Orchid Corsage
Sandra Elizabeth
Sunshine On Clouds
Bermuda Coral

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more.
Classic Rose
Cajun Sunshine
Carmen Renee
Dublin Elaine - Look Here Mary in the background
Last Snowflake - LFO

The background?? The yellow flower??

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

''LOOK HERE MARY'' is the name of the yellow flower in the background of the forth picture. I have always loved ORCHID CORSAGE, but do not know how it would do here. Hmm. I have LHM new this year but it hasn't bloomed yet.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan Look Here Mary will not disappoint.
Look here Mary
King Of Camelot - gift from Mike Grossmann. http://www.northernlightsdaylilies.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=3389&=SID
Holly Dancer - LFO
Stand Up Double - reblooming
Sherwood Gladiator

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more.
When I Dream
Strawberry Candy - winding down
Sarah Hawes
Stella's Pink Pretty
Lavender Blue Baby

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more.
Carlotta
Northwind Dancer
Star Lane
Musical Theme
Red Hot Returns

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more.
August Flame - living up to its name.
Illini Jackpot
Adamas - reblooming
Lady Elizabeth
Bridgeton Ivy League

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Last few!!
Stella's Sparky - lots of rebloom scapes.
Gudrid
Sears Tower - no staking needed
Sears Tower - up close and personal. LOL!
Dynamite Returns - reblooming. Mr Apps

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow Mike. You have a lot still blooming. I have probably only 7 or 8 left blooming.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from HazelCrestMikeB :
Susan Look Here Mary will not disappoint.
Look here Mary
King Of Camelot - gift from Mike Grossmann. http://www.northernlightsdaylilies.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=3389&=SID
Holly Dancer - LFO
Stand Up Double - reblooming
Sherwood Gladiator

Thanks, I ordered from Mike Grossman a couple of years ago. I was biding during the winter and got a lot of single fans then went back and got a second single fan for some.
'King of Camelot' is nice, it reminds me of a couple I have like Huckleberry Yogurt, a bonus from Maryott. It only had two blooms but hoping for next year.

My small daylily patch continue to bloom. I am so happy with it. I have dug up patches with full sun to plant gifts from another DG'r. Also dug up and rearranged another small bed with the extras and moved one that was in too much shade to bloom. Have three others dug up that also need more sun. I will have to dig up the front of another bed (about 1x3' is all) to plant then in full sun. Will fill in behind with dahlias and lilies.

I actually have Miss Libby (two of them) in the original DL bed. Since they are very tall they won't interfere with the DL's. Looks kind of neat sticking up 4' with lots of downward facing blooms.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thank you all so much for your kind words! We are very thankful indeed for the answered prayers and thankful that, for now at least, we get to stay "at home". He is still commuting this week - but getting to sleep in an extra hour so he is enjoying that. Still getting home about the same time, but that is because he is getting off work an hour later. I know he is counting down the days until he can just drive to town here..... he won't know what to do with all that extra time! :) Although the kids will probably fill it with more projects and I think I have a few to add to his list as well ! ^_^

All the blooms are gorgeous! Mike is Illini a breeder? I like that Illini maiden - but I have one named Illini showgirl ..... didn't realize that was the breeder name. That King of Camelot is gorgeous! Really love that When I dream as well.............

Beautiful bloooms on them all!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mary, what is Miss Libby? Sounds pretty!

I did have a couple blooming this morning! Plus my Dahlia are starting to bloom now.

1- 'Jolyene Nichole'

2- 'Bold Raven' new from Floyd Cove

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Genna.
Susan those two are nice. MY JN finished about four weeks ago

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.