August 2014 Blooms

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Miss Libby is a lily from TLG

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I would just like to get more extended bloomers, they seem to make me the happiest! LOL. I went out this morning and another beautiful flower on Bold Raven but it is laying on the ground. Is this my fault? Is there something I can do to make the scapes stronger? I assumed if a daylily has a big flower that it would have strong scapes but that is not always the case and as much as I like big flowers I might need to rethink this one. LOL. Carefree is something I like better, I do not have time to go around staking the flowers because the next day there will be another one.

Mike,
I just love the color on JN so much!

Mary,
Thanks for the information and reminder. I was looking around on her website once before and I would like to get a couple from her like ‘Pizzazz’!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That Bold Raven is beautiful! Sorry to hear it doesn't support itself well! :(

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks gen! Hopefully it will be a stronger plant next year.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok Bold Raven and Kings of Camelot arent good enough for your gardens, my advice is to get rid of them ASAP!!! All ugly daylilies..especially those 2, should be sent to belleville..
LOLOL Love those!! Going on the want list ;) Great Blooms!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I agree Badcat! :) They are gorgeous!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I did pay too much for 'Bold Raven' and I do know know about Kings of Camelot, there were no prices listed on the website but they did have a list of zone 4 daylilies, which would be good to pick from if you find them somewhere else. I actually have a couple of these!

http://www.northernlightsdaylilies.com/All_Daylily_List.php?key=3

If you like the colors on Bold Raven and Kings of Camelot, let me show you another possibility from Maryotts. This was a bonus plant called 'Huckleberry Yogurt'. I'm not kidding. lol.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh....I like that too!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol Im a sucker for deep red anything! Sheets, Daylilies, Paint..you name it ;) They are both beautiful Susan. Bourbon St is another favorite of my order this spring

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you! Bourbon street is beautiful! Here is a nice deep red from last year but it passed away, 'Insider Trading'. I really want another one because it is a rebloomer and extended bloomer.

'Insider Trading'

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm really not into reds too much but that one is really gorgeous!!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I wasn't into reds at first but people kept sending them to me as bonus plants. Blueridge and Maryott's sent a bunch too. LOL. Oh, Blueridge is the one that sent that. Speaking of Maryott's he is offering PARROTS OF THE CARIBBEAN as a bonus plant if you put in a 50.00 order, plus he just lowered the price of 38 double fans to 7.00 each. Have fun yawl!!

https://daylilygarden.net/cgi-bin/WEB_STORE/web_store.cgi

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Have missed posting on Dave's!! My computer crashed last month and have had a hard time getting the new one to work the way I was used to. It had Microsoft 8 which I hated. We had eight taken off and replaced with 7. Now I think I'm in business again.
Here are a few pics taken the last five days. They are either in rebloom or real late starters. I really like having blooms now. The many in rebloom is probably caused by the frequent rains we have had this year. July and August are often so dry here.
April La Quinta on August 22
Big Girls Don't Cry on August 23
Circus Truffle on August 22
Don't Look Back on August 17
Eli Murphy is not a great flower, bur We like it because it only started blooming about a week ago.

Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Maryotts "Magicians Magic" is a off spring of H. Yogurt.
Insider Trading is a nice one. Got a single fan from Johnnyappleseed on the LA as a gift a couple years ago. Bloomed for the first time this year.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a few more:
Fountain of Life on August 18
Edna Jean is another late starter that should go on for probably another week.
Mae graham on August 18
Pixie Plaything twins on August 23
Secret of Contentment on August 23

Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Don good to see you. Susan is going to go "GA GA" (LOL!!!) over ALQ. That's a stand out to me also. How tall did EM got this year?. I have "The Cow Jumped Over The Moon", measured about 57". I did move it last year. I am going to move it again.
TCJOTM
Affairs Of The Heart - rebloom
John Hawkins - rebloom
Caesar's Head - rebloom. One of three Frank Smith"s that's reblooming or instant rebloom.
Autumn King - clump with Lord baltimore in the back ground.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

I looked at some of the Maryott's. They are certainly 'proud' of their plants. $80-$100? And I thought peonies were expensive!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the second year for Eli here. It's about 55", but I think will grow taller.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

ginger,
Your April La Quinta is gorgeous!! I love 'Big Girls Don't Cry' too, such a beautiful pink, you got me drooling on my keyboard. LOL.
The second group as well, I need to look those up, they go on my want list!

Mike,
You know me well and I did go GAGA! I did not know HY had any offspring, but Bill does not waste time. LOL. I am not sure about 'Magician's Magic' he looks like he is choking on his own ruffles. LOL. Autumn King is looking good!

Mary,
You really have to sort through them to get the bargains, I got three of the 7.00 ones and two 9.00 ones and one I had my eye on for three years, when I was first on his website I liked it and it was over 100.00, I got it last night for 35.00 'Our Friend Jim Saddler' that gave me enough to get the weekly special, PARROTS OF THE CARIBBEAN, which is a free bonus plant for spending 50.00. He will send other bonus plants too, he is very generous.

55" daylilies? I had no idea they grew so tall.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary there are some that's registered at 78"+. My tallest this year is:
Sears Tower 69" shortest was 49"
One Above you 68"
Autumn King 62" still growing. Measured @ 65" in 2013.
The Cow Jumped Over The Moon 57"
Gudrid 51"
Thoralla 48"
Northwind Dancer 48"
Don, thanks for that update.
Mary, I must say that you are funny. ( "proud of their plants") $80-100 is cheap (LOL!!) compared to others out there. Go here http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarsaintros&category=cultivarsaintros&page=1&pb= and look up Mysterious Zodiac and Explosion In The Paint Factory for an example.
Susan, you are funny too!

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Fruit Loops
Substantial Evidence
Lavender Stardust
Ruby Stella - winding down
Endless Heart - aka Earlybird Cardinal reblooming

Those prices are insane. The differences between the flowers, to the ignorant eye, are minescule. But perhaps people are looking for he seeds to hybridize them for themselves into something else. Guess I am not that imaginative.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes, it's a hybridizing thing. Floyd Cove has new intro's that start off at 250.00 and some go higher if they promise to be good parents or something like that. I do like a good bud count because I have a small city lot and they have to earn their keep, so it is bloom or dye around here. LOL.
I got two double fans of the Bubblegum Delicious and he dropped 'My Friend Jim Sadder' another 10.00 today. Yippee!

I have a new one that gets quite tall called, TALL DRINK OF WATER, it gets 52" tall but I bought it for the unusual colors. It is quite a happy looker. LOL.

Mike,
Lavender Stardust is gorgeous, I am going GAGA over here!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, you are just being yourself. LOL!! It ok, there's an APP for that. LOL!!
Mary, this should knock you right out of your chair.
http://www.daylilytrader.com/graceland/tet.my_cup_overflows.htm

OMG! You are right. That is just for hybridizers or someone with lots of bucks to burn. I paid $360 for a peony once and I admit it was just to have one. Sad, sad. I still have it but the thrill is pretty much gone. lol. I stick with $25-40 now. Lilies I have gone as high as $50 for one bulb, and dahlias maybe $25. So call me 'big spender'?? NOT

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I have never seen a 50.00 Lily, mine were all 5.99. I thought that was normal. I have never seen a 25.00 dahlia either, all mine were 5.99, Never mind I do not want to know. LOL.
Anyway I guess we all do our splurging in different places. Hum, I think I spend 5.99 for my jeans and sneakers too. More daylily money! Yahoo!!

Mike, LOL.

Hey, Value Village Emporium and HHG store is my regular shopping place. But as you say, we spend where it is important to us. Flowers beat out jeans every time. Tiramasu was a $50 lily (plus she sent me an extra as a bonus). Can't remember the dahlia although I do know it didn't survive the winter in storage. Not a good use of money considering the odds of keeping it going year after year. Lilies and Peonies are a pretty solid investment as a lot of lilies multiple and peonies are pretty much 'goof-proof.' My kind of plant. Iris, other than Siberians are mostly a no-go (rot) and for some reason daylilies, some daylilies survive year after year and others don't. I thought it was only the dormants, that they recommend for colder climates, were the survivors but I looked mine up and I have some EV and Semi-EV also. All tole, I have four kinds that have survived out of maybe 10-12 I have planted. So go figure....

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mary, Daylily prices are all over the place. Unless your a breeder or seller, it's best to wait a couple years for new introductions. The price drops a lot in a couple years on most daylilies. I don't like to spend over $25.00 on a daylily. That's not saying, I haven't spent more. Once you become a daylily addict you'll find ways to justify the higher prices. It happens to us all. Lol

In regards to Semi-evergreens and evergreens, in your climate. The best way to find out which SE and Evergreens are hardy in you zone. Here is a popularity poll from the AHS for you region from 2010. cultivar count
1. 'Strawberry Candy' 15
2. 'Moonlit Masquerade' 13
3. 'Fooled Me' 12
3. 'Primal Scream' 12
3. 'Ruby Spider' 12

Here is 2008's poll winners.

cultivar count
1. 'Janice Brown' 21
2. 'Red Volunteer' 20
3. 'Ruby Spider' 19
4. 'Peacock Maiden' 16
4. 'Strawberry Candy' 16

Here is a link if you want to look up more years to get a better idea of who might do well for you.
http://www.daylilies.org/PopPoll/2009 Alaska is region 8.

Susan, I love the way you think. :-) You must be my long lost sister. Lol I would rather have a daylily as my reward for hard work, over clothes anytime. You work hard, and deserve the beautiful gardens you have. MHO, anyway! Daylilies like light, even if it's green. Lol

I went to the link and bookmarked it. Then I can look each one up. Thanks.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Your Welcome! If you go to their home page, you'll find a wealth of information on daylilies. It's great winter reading.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love that April La Quinta, the Fountain of Life, and the Cow jumped over the moon~ and most of the others as well! My want list grows way faster than my budget! And then there ya'll go posting a link to another sale! ^_^ my oh my......

Beautiful blooms everyone! I know our summer rains have extended my blooms - Dls and others much longer than normal. Usually everything is toast by August. It has been a sorcher here this past week though - but thankfully they are calling for temps to drop some this weekend and a possibility of rain. Actually it is our humidity that has been so unbearable.....

Off to look at DLs.................

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

TD,
Thanks!! It is funny how we always think alike, a girl has her priorities! I am hopelessly addicted, I never have any self control and I always go GAGA!

Mike,
Still looking for the APP!! LOL.

Mary,
You are doing very well, welcome to the addiction! Don't forget to go GAGA!

Genna,
Have fun looking, I could not resist the sale at Maryott's. I got ten and I am sure he will send a few bonuses. I gave him a few ideas, LOL. I was shocked to find out he is shipping next week, I need to figure out a good reason why a box of daylilies have been shipped to me. I think I will go with the end of the season sale, everything was a dollar!! The fact that I only bought ten demonstrates that I have amazing self control! Even if I did go GAGA!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

On one of the threads the other day, someone mentioned another DL farm having a sale......... and I actually went to the website but now for the life of me, I can not remember the name of it and I can't find the link on any of the threads. Just can't remember which one it was. I wanted to go back and compare the things I had picked out there and see which I wanted the most. Could someone give me the name of the garden having the sale if you remember???
The Maryotts shipping is a little high coming my way - but if they send some nice bonuses I guess it will offset some. I have 10 on my list as well...... but I started out with like 20 in my cart. Had to pare it down some :( I have the holiday season coming soon and that always hits me hard, and a wedding right after that for my youngest son....... so the flower budget is getting cut again.

My two youngest had to take pre-professional tests this summer..... one took the MCAT (twice!!) and the other took the PCAT ....I had to pay for those and all the study materials for them to have to get ready for the tests. I was thinking I could have had a LOT of DLs for what all that cost! :( Maybe someday when I am old (or at least older since they think I am already old) they will give me some DL bucks when they start making money! Of course, that is going to be so far down the line, they are probably going to have to hire me someone to plant them too! LOL

Have a great day everyone!
Genna

Congratulations on having smart children making good choices. Worth every penny, well, every multiple dollars. lol.

MCAT is for masters? What is PCAT?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thank you! I have been truly blessed with three great kids.

MCAT = Medical College Admissions Test
PCAT = Pharmacy College Admissions Test

And it is MULTIPLE dollars for sure! My oldest is 26, will be 27 this fall and he is in medical school. At this point he is living on loans - and is very deep in debt. Not sure it is worth it really because he has aged so much and is giving up the very best years of his life. He has at least 5 more years before he actually starts making money. :( He will get a very small salary in 2 yrs if he gets into a residency program, but it works out to minimum wage because of the hours they have to work. Supposedly in 10 yrs or so, he will be making really good money depending, of course, on all the changes to the system.......... My youngest son plans to start med school next fall. He should have no problem getting in where my oldest is going - which is our in state med school, but he really hopes to be able to attend a school in Texas or possibly Colorado - not sure if his scores are going to be good enough for the out of state consideration. I have urged him to consider other avenues after seeing what his brother's life has been like (or really lack of a life) but he still really wants to be a doctor. It is all they have both ever wanted to be! My daughter hopes to start pharmacy school in two years. She just took the test this summer to see where she stands so to speak...... there are several classes that she hasn't had yet that were part of the testing. She did ok - particularly to be missing like 5 classes, but she will have to improve that score to get accepted. She did manage to finally obtain a job as a pharmacy tech in early July (we had been trying since April to get her a job) and so those hours working as a tech will give her a lot of knowledge about the drugs and what they are used for, and also the 'experience' is basically considered to be necessary to get into pharmacy school....at least here in Arkansas and surrounding area. Someday, I hope they all believe it is worth the sacrifice! And, I hope I live long enough to enjoy the grands that are obviously going to be delayed a while! LOL......

Ok, all you enablers..... I know somebody knows the name of that other DL sale! ....

Thanks!!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol sorry, you talkin bout bonnies?? Heres the link ma'am www.daylilyfans.com/oakhill/

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh yeah.....that's it!! I knew ya'll would come thru and enable me.......................

Thanks Badcat!!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

OK have fun lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, very happy for the kids and all their aspirations. It will pay off in the end.
Susan, they are fine tuning the "app" just for you. LOL!!
Badcat, cat got your fingers?? LOL! You haven't been writing much lately??
A few blooms. Don't forget about the popularity polls that closes on Sept, 1.
Anyone submitting any pictures for their regions?
King Of Camelot
Centerton One
Sunshine On Clouds - LFO
Adamas
White Unto Harvest

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.