August 2014....Last of summer start of harvest

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

New start see you all here. Hope I am doing this correctly.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Green your gardens are geourgeous!!! Wowsers. Everyone garden are looking so sweet. I did get four tomatoes off my vines at the community garde. We have been getting some great cherry tomaotes we have planted in a couple buckets in the back yard. Nothing better than a vipe ripe home grown tomatoes. So sweet. Am jealous would love to have a great big garden at my own house :( not enough sun is my plague. Thanks for the new thrwad Happ.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

we are all here, and Betty your vege gardens are to die for. Wish mine looked that good. Thanks for the new living room, Joyce.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all and thanks for the compliments on the garden. It has evolved over the years. We moved in our home 25 years ago this summer and the veggie garden already existed. I changed it over the years into the square foot version changing from boards to bricks and to a vertical garden which became studier over time. Went organic, composting, mulching with shredded paper, companion planting, and saving heirloom seeds. It's always a work in progress which I know that you all understand.

JW, I'm sure that your garden looks even better!

Joyce, thanks for the August thread. That's exactly what I had in mind for the heading! : )

Gl, you're a bit further North, so gardening has to be more challenging for you However, I see that you're zone 5b and Joyce zone 5a. Is it because you're near the lake?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

GB looks amazing! You go girl! :) Maters are on hot and heavy here, hope Im still harvesting into Oct like last year. There has to be 10 gal in the freezer waiting to be sgetti sauce n salsa.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

There you are badcat! Sounds like you've been pretty busy yourself. My maters are still mostly green, but pretty huge. The cherry ones have been ripening since late June and have been harvesting the Amish Paste since late July, but the beefsteaks haven't ripened yet.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for starting the new thread, Joyce. Boy, you got you a tub full of maters. And congrats on starting a month thread, I don't think you've ever done that before! : ) I think you did it correctly!

I been keeping a little busy trying to get the progressively faster drip in the kitchen stopped. After 4 trips to the box stores I finally got a good replacement part at Home Depot the fourth time (trip). I told the return the lady at Lowes that I think they're getting hosed by somebody or somebodies (probably contractors). It's unfortunate that people do that but apparently people take the washer(s) off the new part and put their old, bad ones back on the new part and take it back for a refund. It's only $13 but I guess that's $13 too much for some people. It's kinda Lowes own fault for selling so much that many people don't need. I bet alot of people just need new washers, not a whole new stem. Oh well, what to do?!

In this first pic is a Citronella that I got from pepper. It has really grown since I got it and boy does it ever have that strong unusual scent. It's not an unpleasant odor, but I think I can see how it would offend skeeters. This 2nd pic is a big pot of Pilea 'Aluminum' cuttings that I put in there about 4 days ago. I'm glad I found out they take so easy like that, I've started 6 other pots of it in about the last 6 weeks or so. The third pic is some 4 o'clock tubers that I got from Debra (Jw), those look like the lt. red. What's in that pic is only about a third of the tubers that I got from her. The 4th pic is a pot full of Nanking Cherry seedlings that I got from Betty (Green) last year. They've already cold stratified and sprouted if you'd like one Joyce (happ). I'd be glad to give you one but you gotta come to Independence (Sugarcreek) to get it. I'm still mulling where I'm gonna plant mine as they get pretty large for a shrub after some time I see. Here's a little bit about them and it's good to know, (the first paragraph). - http://www.ehow.com/how_6593437_grow-nanking-cherries.html They don't get real big but the yard here isn't real big, I have to do some planning sometimes on where to put stuff.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Thanks Will, I go to Independence all the time not a problem. I would love to have a plant.

Ok Joyce, it's a deal! I'll get one potted up and ready for you tomorrow. Whenever you get this way come on over and get it! You oughta see how some of the stuff you gave me is doing, I'll show you.

looking really good, Will. Badcat, I also hope to harvest tomatoes thru October.. I made salsa today with lots of good things and everyone in the house wanted to take some home, so now it is time to start all over again gathering the things from the gardens as they ripen for more salsa.
Joyce , wanted to show you the oleander it is blooming..it is a pink, not red like the photo shows..
Will second pic is the cutleaf cone flowers out front from Ju, moving them to the south side corner where they can be big like that next year, they are hiding a couple nice flowering shrubs right now..

cactus garden and century plant from Bonnie..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

I don't think you would have trouble with pollination to get fruit but I read that the Nanking is self-pollinating but not self-fruitful. - http://www.arborday.org/treeguide/treeDetail.cfm?id=219
I also read that people with only one plant get it pollinated apparently by many other plants usually in that case. Or, some don't even know how it gets pollinated but it has cherries every year. From what I gather even plums will pollinate it. - http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0516253510638.html I think some of those posters may have stated self pollinating as self-fruiting, I don't think they're the same thing.
But, the big message there, that they get pollinated by a lot of things is encouraging. I believe I counted 5 Nanking seedlings in that pot of mine. As long as I have 2 or 3 seedlings I think I'll be fine for myself. If you'd like, Joyce, you can have 2 seedlings if you need another one to get fruit.
If you'd like to read up some on what I Bing searched on it, it's right here. - http://www.bing.com/search?q=is+nanking+cherry+self+fruitful%3F&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=is+nanking+cherry+self+fruitful%3F&sc=0-20&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=ff0fa12b2baf43109c3be4bebcae899c
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I came by to say hello , and so I could watch his thread ,,
Debra when I got that cutleaf coneflower it was suppose to have double larger blooms. It does have nice foliage after a time or at least sometimes..
looks nice though with yours , Your gardens look really good ,,

I am not much at decor, my plants need to grow a while and then I will try some decor to a wild theme

couple of Green tomatoes and cucumber followed by pear and Kale

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I have a large nanking and a small stick next to it hoping for cherries next year no cherries yet, no sprouts on seeds planted, but I know it will come after winter.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks Debra, and hi! I forgot to say earlier that that Arrowleaf in that gray pot right behind the Citronella (in that first pic up there) that you gave me has grown and is doing great! The other Arrowleaf that you put with the Pothos is also doing great. I'm gonna try to find the 'Madam Galen' Honeysuckle that you gave me. I'll be showing you some pics in the coming days if you can help me.
: ) I know the Chinese Honeysuckle, but I can't find the Madam Galen.

Wow, the Cutleaf Coneflowers get TALL! I'm glad you said that, I planted them in the back of my new flowerbed. I wish I could get Black-Eyed Susans like yours, Debra, they are nice.
That reminds me to plant my 2 Oleanders in my new flowerbed, they sure have a nice flower I see, you gave me 2 plants.

Hi ju!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi back Will .. My Nanking are growing ,only are not large enough to do much ,
only the pear tree set fruit this year and does not look real good .
I have some peach grafts set up for this fall or winter (scions , I am not real good at grafting only I keep getting closer ,
Blueberries , Apricots Peaches Plums Cherries , Their all back there but are really slow to get going .. three Apple trees back there also .. I'm trying ,,
If I have to give up gardening all I have to do is mulch trees to garden anyway ^_^ lol

Looks like I have a Pink Blueberry Runner from last years no return ,, Tomato , Beans and might be Watermelons

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra So many pretty flowers (sigh)

As to almost gardening , here are the Bean vines , like weeds

Thumbnail by juhur7

aww that looks good, Ju. Cute! watermelons teenys, I love them. I have no clue why I am still awake.. Will, the Madame Galen is a Hybrid trumpet vine, and the honeysuckle ( flame or john clayton) looks different, so show me pics, plz?
Madam Galen

Ju, your beans look good, ours has mites, YILES! anyway we have a freezer full for the next two years so Joe is pulling them out, which is okay for me then I get that area to move stuffs into. He took me to Kmart to look at another arch arbor, and we got one for 50 bucks instead of a hundred, I told him I wanted at least 2 more but we will see..
Will here is honeysuckles...

some shots of the back yard north fence garden.. minus the house eating 62 yr old Ivy on the north side, we don't miss the birds in that stuff at all. nasty!

I will shoot a goal of 2 am to go to bed tonight.. ha! we will see.. potted up a bunch of stuff tonight in the dark with the back porch lite on the patio and me and my cups and plastic water bottles//I am glad the arrow head is good for you, here is one of mine, I have a ton of different ones ..

around the pear tree.. poke berry anyone? Can't wait for that stand of tithonia to bloom there..

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Picked some onions this morning. Good crop this year. From near camera, Superstar, Red River, Walla-Walla, & Candy. In the big screen are Highlander, a regular keeper onion.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all, I only have a few minutes, so will have to catch up looking at all the great pics later. I got up early to bake Chloe's birthday cake & now off to church. I should find time to catch up by tomorrow morning or evening. Still beautiful weather here, but no rain so I've been busy watering, weeding, & picking.

Betty with the "greenbrain". lol

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Back down to 2 kids and trying to get back into my routine today. Lol Im around! Love everyones pics! :D Agree with ya on the rabbit poop! My stuff is nuts too :) These pics were over the last week and a half. Yeah try not to giggle at some of my naughty veg. Been canning and freezing like a mad woman. Thats not all of it, just what I took pics of. Heading out after nap time to plant seeds for fall harvest, will be a first time for me :).

Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat Thumbnail by badcat

You might have to give up gardening ju?! That wouldn't be good.

The 62 year old Ivy seems to be doing well! Oops, nevermind, now I feel stupid, the Ivy is gone! lol sowwy.. : )

Oh, you have 10 photos of plants in your dmail to help me identify, Debra! I know you told me what they are at the RU but I forgot.. lol Thanks for being so patient... : ) Such nice pics Debra, you sure were in a pic mood! Thanks for the pics of your Honeysuckles, they are colorful.

You sure got the onions there CG, that was some work picking all those!

Happy Birthday to Chloe! Thats alot of maters, cukes and peppers, Bad. That's a big mater with the girl unless she has a tiny head!

Thanks for the offer on the Pokeberry, Debra, maybe you can bring it to the RU.

Joyce, I potted up a Nanking Cherry seedling for you. I have one less than I said, one had succumbed to something when I wasn't looking but the remaining 4 seedlings are champs. - pics 1 and 2
I started to pot up 2 to give you but they were more entangled in the roots than I thought.
The one I potted up was over to the side and I barely had to tug so I think it'll be fine.
I don't yank anymore these days, I learned my lesson there! lol The other three were way too crowded to try to separate, sorry. Whenever you get this way, come on over and get it.
That's yours, Joyce in the square black pot and the other three Nanking seedlings and tangled together so best just to lave them that way I suppose. See the fifth dead seedling that died on me on the left of that mass of roots from the 3 good seedlings? And then, that's the 3 Nankings after I potted them up in the second pic. That TropiCanna Gold for $2 is doing me proud! - pic #3

Joyce, do you recognize this seedling that I found growing in the big clump of Tigerlilies that you gave me in 2009? I thought I'd pot it up and ask you before I threw it out. I know you have nice gardens and I thought maybe it was something you had that stayed dormant all these years perhaps. - pic #4 That's it up close in the black pot.
Will

This message was edited Aug 3, 2014 6:14 PM

This message was edited Aug 3, 2014 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will I would not give up gardening anymore than I would eating , , even if it was only an African Violet sitting on the kitchen self .. lol
You all have more plants than I could count and remember also ,
I sit here and Sigh at all the beautiful gardens you all have ,, I have been secretly like that every since I was tiny ,,,
Spider plant , wondering Jew , from Will
Daylily last bloom ? annual cutting and butterfly garden

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Pepper, oh pepper.. where'd you go? Do you still have computer problems? You know, I am an unemployed certified computer technician. Not that I'd charge you or anything but I would look at it.

Wow, ju, they have grown. Here is a Spiderplant of mine today. I set it out in the yard about a month ago and a couple of babies have rooted to the ground! Bless their hearts! I'll mow around them I suppose but come cold they'll get zapped for their trouble. If anybody wants them, they can have them. pic #1
The ones that rooted are the middle baby and a little one right of it. They stayed on the ground when I lifted the big plant up on a chair to get the picture. - pic #2

Here's some of that striped Wondering Jew. - pic #3 It's also in the yard for now..lol

That is a nice Daylily, ju. Those are some colorful flowers for the butterflies as well.
I agree ju, everybody here has nice gardens, except for me! Glad to hear your not giving up gardening.

Anybody know, do Ligularias get yellow flowers? My Ligularias 'Midnite Lady' from pepper has got yellow flowers! - pic #4

Here is the Papyrus I got at the Spring Roundup. I believe I got it from Jw. It has really grown alot, I think I'm gonna try to grow it big, like 6 feet tall! I've seen them big and tall at Heartland Nursery for $125. Not that I'm selling it then, I think it's neat as heck.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Today I did some "enhancements"on plants that I have. I fancied up a few plants in pots. - pic #1
I prettied up this Arrowleaf (Syngonium Nephthytis 'Butterfly') with a curved Bamboo trellis craft thing that I found here. This is another Syngonium like it from Jw, it's in the gray pot and it also got the Bamboo treatment. - pic #2

It rained steadily this morning, it was funny on this forecast site that I look at. It said only a 20 percent cance of raining today and an 89 degree high temperature, (I don't think they work on Sundays..lol).
pic #3 Yeah, I keep alot of browser windows open..lol!

Coleus 'Watermelon', I got alot of it for cuttings. - pic #4 I also have some Coleus 'Kong' ready to make cuttings. - pic #5 I have 3 cuttings of it already growing, one is from a leaf.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Wow I don't know where to start. You all have been busy little bloggers! ;)

Thanks Will for potting up the plant for me. I am thinking the plant you got with the lily is a lake weed...LOL That dirt came out of the lake and the lake has different weeds than the normal ground.

Love the pics Debra, The banana tree looks great, so tall and healthy. Glad your plant is blooming. I thought they were all pink.

Those tables of onions are really pretty. You sure have amazing gardens! I read an article in a new magazine I bought about garlic. Now this guy was from Canada but all the garlic sold in Canada and I am guessing here also comes from China. According to this guy the garlic we get is bland dried up and musty. He said fresh garlic is entirely different. Anyone grow garlic?

Actually everyone has beautiful gardens. hope Zoie had a great birthday. It is raining again now. I enjoyed waking up to the rain this morning. Nice I get to go to sleep listening to it.

We are some busy bloggers! I been in the davesgarden forum putting my 2 cents in on what's wrong with the site! Yw, it's no trouble Joyce. I know it survived my separating from the others as I have taken a photo of that Nanking seedling today. - pic #1 That's it in the front in that black square pot and the other 3 Nanking seedlings are in that clay pot to the left of it, they all survived my manhandling! I also think that might be a lake weed, in May we brought one back from a springfed river we visited called The "Little Piney" river, it's a canoe river. It look like the one we have, here is ours and the shorter one that was in the pot of Tigerlilies to it's left. pic #2 The one from you is in the black pot, the other one is next to it in the red pot. I'd say something likes Ligularia leaves! lol - pic #3

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Well I finally figured out what I am going to do with my wisteria! I bought a big iron wagon wheel, DH is going to get me a pipe and weld the wheel on. I probably won't have 3 wheels but just one. Now where to put it. I think I will put it by my potting bench and it will be a permanent umbrella. No shade when it is cold in the spring and then it will grow during the summer and lose it leaves in the fall...maybe. lol

Will the website is a MESS! It isn't too hard to figure out the website isn't working right.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Will, yes all ligularias do blossom with yellow flowers. They are my favorite shade garden of all times. Love the huge leaves, the flowers and the color. I havethree different plants named that is.

I don't grow those, but they are pretty. Everyone has loverly blooms and veges going on..
Joyce what a great idea! a section of my flower bed this am, well a couple areas anyway..

Oh Joyce, that is a creative thing to do with an iron wheel. I was visiting a friend a while back and his Dad had trained a regular Chinese Wisteria to grow upright like a tree. I'm sure that took some work and patience. A wheel umbrella iron sculpture would be a good thing to do with a Wisteria. Yes, the website IS a mess alright. They say things are fixed but it looks like everything is still messed up, it does to me anyway.

Oh, I too love Ligularias! They are a great addition to a shade garden. Those flowers are still in a bud, I'm looking forward to seeing them unfurled pretty soon.

I put 3 cuttings in water, (Globe Willow, Dappled Willow and a big Coleus leaf) now if they'll just take root! - pic #1 It's a great big, pretty Coleus leaf but I don't know it is. Sorry about the blurriness, I always take 2 or 3 photos of the same thing, the problem was this time they all came out blurry!

Here's my other "non-leaf eaten one". pic #2

Joyce, do you remember 3 of these desert planter plants you gave me? pic #3

This message was edited Aug 6, 2014 8:07 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hi Debra! While your here, can you tell me what this is? -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

We got rain this morning. A downpour actually. Finally!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

All gardens here still making with the pretties ,,

1&2 Some seedlings .. First I could see on my pic display , but their still to tiny , you might see a few hair size roots , there a three Fargesia carea sprouting roots .

3&4 A ponderosa lemon .
#5 Table mountain Ice plants (they will stay in this winter ,

Beautiful efforts here to all you on this thread . ^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Hi Betty, send us some rain please?

Will that is an aster, you will see it is either a white one or a blue one. I hope it is a blue one, tho. prennial.

Ju, seeds are so fun to watch, you are good with seeds, what is a faregesia?
I cut my three bottomed wisteria off at the base in the southwest corner, I am digging it up and sending it away to anyone who wants it for postage. bleah..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

joeswife Debra) Fargesia , Is one the few Hardy Clumping Bamboo that grow here .

I heard a noise near my plants outside , ) A raccoon chased me back inside ,, grrrr
Too old to play outside at night anyway , I am ,, I think I heard things like that the other way when younger , lol Strange ,, lol
I have a lot of seeds , but not really ) starting , bamboo grass , red shades Gailardia , lovage , date palms . campanula ,

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Betty I was so happy to see the rain too!!! lol Just got my fall seeds planted. Everythings been drier than a popcorn fart here for awhile =/. Sorry Debra! Your garden is beautiful :) Ju..your always into somethin lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.