August 2014....Last of summer start of harvest

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi ju, good work, I heard Bamboo seeds aren't easy to come by. Good work on all of them.

Asters eh Debra. Thanks, I look forward to planting them soon, they sure grow fast, you just gave me that at the RU and it was small.

According to the forecast here, there's alot of nice chances for rain so we'll just see, rain is real nice. - http://www.kshb.com/weather

Nice flowers Debra, your garden sure has alot of color, I have the color green at least! lol

Ju got chased by a raccoon! I saw one here as big as a medium sized dog about 3 months ago.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh my I don't want to be out in the dark up here, too many furry animals and probably snakes I want to be able to see them....lol

Will your planter of succulents looks really good. It will fill in before you know it. They are not hardy in our zone course you probably already knew that.

Love all the pics! Glad everyone is getting much needed rain, Deb hope it hits you. You have such beautiful gardens. Glad to see the wind blowing it just feels better when I am outside and keeps the skeeters down. They have been bad up here this year.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi all Badcat I'm not the only one , read it here , Will, Debra ,Joyce , Pepper, billyp chilibean ,,
Lots and Lots Goes on here . !!!
Older favorites doing the bloom ..
zinnia
marigold
older rose of sharon
hibiscus
coreopsis red

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

ohhh pwetties! Love that big red hibiscus.. I love it. here is my favorite bloom today..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Debra your popped n out babies!?!? By far the best bloom of the day :) grats :D

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oh my , oh my,, What a pretty Blooming BABY !!!^_^^_^^_^

Oops yours too badcat I missed you earlier

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

wHAT!? i mighta been tryin to pop another but I havent thus far sir! Are you calin me fat!?!? lol Ill be by later to poop in your plants again. ;)

Debra that baby is precious.. are they twins!? I see 2 colors lol. If your blessed or double blessed you have my congrats, you go girl!!! :D

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nah badcat , nothing like that .. I forgot I started with you ..
That is all right though, it goes good in the flower compost .. Only stay away from the food plants or your a Fur hand towel ,, ^_^

Goodness

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Lol aye aye sir capitaine! No food plants..got it..seedlings ngs are a go! :o

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

LOL that is my grandbaby in both pics.. my daughter who is 43 is nursing her and posted the second pic on facebook with the caption " Busted, Caught her cheating on me" she refuses to let her use a binky, nook or her thumb and throws a fit when she catches her doing this. I, on the other hand, would have ajar full of nooks or binkys, and would let her suck my thumb if she wanted too.. LOL

Now I know why the flower beds that the neighborhood cats use for their latrines have such good flowers ..

Anybody want to see my 47 second videoclip of the rainstorm here tonite?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6-BJOJe-Y&feature=youtu.be It'll open in a new tab so don't worry about losing this one. It's raining now even. That clip was taken at 6:00 tonite, it got dark and a little cool fast.
Lightning and thunder even accompanies! I suspect there's plenty of rain coming east for yous guys!

Thanks happ, you gave me the 2 burros tails? I think that might be what they're called, I forgot what you said they are at the RU. And the smaller Aloe. I bring them in in the Fall with the houseplants. I remember the Summer of 2012 when it was so hot and dry, those plants flourished.

Awww.. look at Debra's cute little grandchild!

Pretty flowers ju! You missed two people, Betty (greenbrain) and (Gardenlady) Ronna. : )

He wouldn't call you fat, he was talking about something else. There's 2 things guys don't say, that's ask a woman her age or ask a woman if she is pregnant..lol
Will

This message was edited Aug 6, 2014 10:59 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will I guess I should apologize to Betty and Ronna ,,
proves I am not much in the memory Dept .. lol

Happ , Mosquitoes are a nightmare here this year .. Darn those little vampires anyway ...

I have been digging and re-setting plants , Little of that goes pretty far ,,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

More rain! Up early making pickles. Going to try to catch 40 winks before getting up for work.

You all are crazy...rofl.

It has been pouring here for a good 5 hours, wow! Boy if the sun comes out tomorrow the air will be as thick as Mississippi! Weeds will be easy to pull...lol

Oh what a beautiful blossom Debra!

I ate my first cantaloupe from the garden today. It was so good.

Oh GB you are so amazing, up making pickles before work...ughhh, I am such a slug.
I keyed up my message above in the wee hours of the morning but apparently didn't hit send...lol

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Will Im just messin with Ju lol..cause its fun. :) That vid is what its been like here all morning! Looked at the weather says rain till Tues, not sure how I feel bout that one. Need it, makes outside chores not so fun =/

GB! Iv got 2 gallons sliced in the garage..lets go! ;) Going to have to wait till this mozzerella is done makin. Need to get it made for beth before hubs brings home more milk tonight =o.

Got my fall veg seeds planted a few days ago. Never done a fall planting before, so heres to hopin :) Had to order a new seal for the freezer..any one have an arm or leg I can have?? lol Necessary Evils! Doe is most likely going to kindle tomorrow, she hasnt done anything. Making me a little nervous after what happened with the last one. Guess we will see! At least it wont be 100 something out.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Still no computer. He took it home the other day to work on it. He did say hard drive is fine so is hoping the whole thing can be saved. Should have it back next week.

I was trying to figure out all these hoses so I can water some days! - I'm trying to do it between storms..lol
My no-charge unemployed computer technician offer still stands pepper! In any case, many times the computer's hard drive is restored as a general solution to a computer's problems but that erases everything, including saved photos.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well my own best , is usb backup keys and that old Acer that crashed last year way back ? I have the hard drive in a plug and play case , short of the docking bay , but workable ..

A bunch of that I have back ,,

Hard drive , now a backup drive ^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, I hope you get your pc back up & running soon. It was just your truck giving you problems. You need a break from all this aggravation!

Been running around shopping and such with the hubby & Nicole all evening. Didn't get home until a little before 10pm. I did pick up some wide mouth quart jars -- something that I've always wanted.

Batcat, did you say that you're making cheese? I've always wanted to do that. Lucky you!

Happ, I love cantaloupe and there's nothing like one fresh off the vine.

Debra, I never got to comment on the darling baby photos. Got you a real live cabbage patch doll.

Ju, you're just too darn smart. Have the stuff you say goes over my head! lol

Will, the spider plant is covered with spider webs. I believer they're the grass funnel kind. Is this ok?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Sorry about the typo. I meant "badcat" not "batcat". That would be a cross between batman and catwoman, I guess? lol

Oh, and "hi" to gardenlady. How's the drinking water up your way?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

GB (Betty, I appreciate the compliment , truth is only keeping up with gadgetry as I can .. .

You have things you keep up with functional that lose me once while also ,,lol

Here is the case (one of the ones Will decided not to buy for one a little better as I recall A while back ?

The hard drive is in here now usb device ,

This message was edited Aug 8, 2014 12:32 AM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Spider webs on a Spiderplant? I wouldn't worry about it, Betty, I believe it's just spiders trying to get the insects that come around. I've found they usually do no harm to the plant if you keep the webs cleared off the plant when you can. They always seem to build the webs right back but I keep clearing them out when I can. When there's alot of flies and other bugs (indoors, like in the garage) flying around I leave the webs, spiders do have their uses..lol

I do have 2 external hard drives and 3 flash or thumb drives. They've all came in handy. I especially like keeping all my photos backed up on my 1 terabyte external hard drive. You call the enclosures for hard drives, cases, ju? I don't recall ju, I was in the market for an enclosure (case)? That's true I was, now that I think about it. I talk about everything I have going, maybe I talked about that then. I'd say you have an exceptional memory, that's been several years, well, nearly 2. I just looked, look at my Nov. 23rd, 2012 post at 10:11 pm. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286565/ That was when this computer's hard drive went out all of the sudden. Also, a while back I bought an enclosure for an external hard drive that was so old it just quit powering on. I took a gamble and bought an enclosure for $40 or so at Best Buy and I put that hard drive in it. Luckily for me, that old hard drive that was seemingly failed worked with the new enclosure because the guts or the actual hard drive part of it wasn't bad, doing that saved most (thousands) of my old photos.
Will

This message was edited Aug 8, 2014 11:09 PM

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all. Been working in the yard and the hoise too. Going to miles and miles of sales today with a lot of my family. So excited they are all down US 12 going toward ann arbor I guess. Green thanks for asking our water is fine it is in Ohio I guess. Feel sorry for all those pepole. Such a stressful week at work this week. Our manager just makes things so much harder cause of his unorganized state. Debra love love love you new blossoms. Soon I will be flooding the air ways with pics of Avery. Teehee. Only about a month to go! Have a great day all.

Rarely do hard drives crash to the point u cant get the data off of them. The boot section will get destroyed or really just scrambled to the point the system wont come up but the disk is readable or u have a virus and/or bad software that keeps the system from booting.

Gardenlady r u going to one of those long garage sales? Iowa or Nebraska has one of those and a friend and I are thinking about going. Not that I need any 'stuff'...lol

(Zone 5a)

I am just scanning as there's a lot... but

"drier than a popcorn fart"?!?! I am NOT going to tell my boys that one. :P

We got about 4 inches in two days, a very slow steady rain, so it all soaked in.

There was Highway garage sales last weekend here. I actually avoided the temptation except in town where we got a few groceries. I had one item that I wanted and was sure I'd never find. Since when do you actually find what you want at a garage sale? I often come home with a lot of things that I did not intend on buying.

BUT... (I wish it was easy to italics or bold... I don't like shouting here)

I wanted gallon sized glass jars and I actually found gallon sized glass jars. Four of them. Yay!!

We went out looking for shorebirds yesterday in hopes some will stop over during migration. But the rain. The place that is normally great this time of year has too much water. We lost out in the spring, too, because too much rain during migration.

I am done canning pickles this year, it was my first attempt. Three new jars popped out the bottom even after heating the jars and liquid. We still got 18 quarts done, so not a big loss. 49 quarts of green beans and I am done there, too. I am saving the rest to dry as I make a lot of refried beans.

juhur7,

I was looking at your flowers up there and you have "Rose of Sharon" and I thought, that's Rose Mallow! But I looked it up and they are in the same family. My Halberd-leaved Rose Mallow finally is blooming after I planted them three years ago!! I was so excited that I drug one of the children out to enjoy them with me. And a bee was already making use of the pollen.

#1 A pretty green bee and hover fly on a Maximilian sunflower.
#2 A busy little mother near my dill, a Great Golden Digger Wasp
#3 Maximilian Sunflowers with a Goldfinch already enjoying them. They like the greens and will even eat the undeveloped seeds. I planted these as a natural source of bird seed, the birds just came earlier than I expected. These flowers are perennial and spread by rhizome, so I planted them in open areas where they are free to grow to their hearts' content. I wish some of my other plantings were this exuberant.

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pils chilibean!!! Love home flashed nature pics. I usually am not fast enought to catch what I wanted in the pic. Yes happ it was a long yard sale. Tons of them we got some pretty good treasures. All stuff we really really needed too. Lol. My niece is having a boy in december and of course my daughter is due next month! We got some really cute toys and a few clothes too. Such a great time. There were 7 peeps in our group. Laughter is the best medicine. My poor daughter and her husband are seperated. Not the one that is pregnant. I feel so sorry for her. He is the one that wants the seperation. She is not herself. :( she is so sad. Just keep her in your prayers. I feel so bad for her.

Yeah, rarely do hard drives knowingly fail to that degree. Some of the instructors I've had over the years in that area really knew their stuff on it. One instructor said there is 7 or 8 ways for a determined technician to get data off of a "failed" hard drive. Even gleaned off a hard drive that has had the files accidently or intentionally deleted permanently by the owner (in the case of crime). Another instructor from Penn Valley Community College had said you could even shoot a bullet thru a hard drive and get alot of files off of it afterward because the undamaged sectors of the disk were fine. That instructor is now at Wright Career College, anybody from the Kansas City area knows what that is..lol He was hired by Wright while I was a student at Penn Valley in 2012. Boy, that guy just knew so much about IT, I was just in awe. I don't mean to not talk gardening, like gardening, IT has also been one of my passions.
Back outside to do some stuff.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2014 6:11 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Gl, Sorry to hear about your daughter's separation. That happened to my oldest daughter a few years ago. He walked out on her for another woman. Now her ex and the other woman have split up. My daughter has moved on and is very happy with her new boyfriend, and realizes that her ex did her a favor by leaving. He will just have to live with his regrets. I know how hard this all was for my daughter. I hope that your daughter is able to cope. Just be there for her as much as you can. She may end up happier in the long run.

I'm still busy making pickles. First, kosher dill spears and now bread & butter spears. Next bread & butter spears with Splenda for the diabetics. I haven't made too much blackberry jam this week. I've been freezing them, but may start up again this weekend. The kale has been beautiful all summer and keeps producing as I cut off the larger leaves. It self seeded from last summer and has been for a few years now. I have some huge trombone squash from saved seed. I've been cleaning up pears that the squirrels scatter all over the ground every evening now. That's ok because I always have an abundance and a thinning now may be helpful.

I'm going to be busy cleaning up the living room tomorrow. It needs a good "Spring" cleaning. Just typing about it makes me tired though.

Off to bed and happy gardening to all my garden buddies. I've been admiring those rose mallow bushes all blooming so nicely in our neighborhood. I need to get me one of those. They kind of remind me of my dad's Rose of Sharon bushes, but smaller and neater. : )

Here's our Rose-Of-Sharon here. - pic #1 I worked some more on my new flowerbed today. I think it's about done. I have quite alot of plants left, I'm gonna try to think of a new flowerbed somewhere else and use my leftover plants up before Winter. - pic #2 Here's my outdoor Kalanchoe getting all planted up! - pic #3 I ended up with a small pile of Mimosa seedlings that I pulled up out of my new flowerbed. - pic #4
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I was planting and guess what fell out of a little cup when I thought I was emptying soil out of it?!
Little shiny glass marbles, they were a shiny blue! Debra, do you want your marbles back?!
I also emptied out a good little tub that the Creeping Jennies were in, would you like it back? It sure is nice and it's not even cracked. Hehe.. here they are! - pic #1

Joyce, come and get your Nanking whenever you get this way, here it is! : ) pics #2 and 3

Here's some Persimmon seedlings that I separated. Well, I separated one from the other 3 because I only need one. I want to get another one planted to help pollenate the big one I have in case it needs help some year. But, the one on the left came from the clump of three on it's right. I grew them all from seeds and they all grew close. That one was a little away from the others so I got it before it got all tangled up with the others.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nice looking cherry bush Will. You did good!

Will I am taking my sister to the doctor one day this coming week. I need to check and see what day and what time. I am excited to get one and will let you know, hopefully it works out for you and I to meet up. My sister lives off of 23rd st so you are not far away at all.

I planted 2 goji berry bushes and they are small but doing pretty good, until dh tried to weed eat one of them! He was very apologetic but dang I put up caution flags around it!! I looked and he didnt get it weed eated to the ground so fingers crossed it makes it.

Our weather forecast is something else this next week. Lows in the 60's high in 80's amazing.

I'll take the 80s! Lol

Thanks Betty, they sprouted good.

That's great, Joyce, if you can make it then. I dmailed you my ph. number for the Spring RU but if you need it again just let me know. I'm in and out some days, if you remember where I live, I can just set it by the fire hydrant maybe. I'm usually home though if you want to look at some other stuff.
I have several plants that you gave me in the backyard. The Rose vine is great big now, the water Iris is doing fine and even the Daylily clump is doing fine as well.

Those hi's and low's aren't the usual. Tuesday and Wed. are even supposed to be in the fifties for lows right now anyway. - http://www.kshb.com/weather

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Joh, I love the sleeping weather latley. Been so nice with the fan on and blowing in the cooler air. Will not complain at all. Today it is 88 outside. Kinda muggy.
Just talked to my son who is stationed in Fort Hood, Texas. He says it is 105 right now. He drinks lots of water there for sure. They are getting ready to go to Germany for 3-4mos. Special traing it is all for NATO. Still do not know why they nave to go there. But they do. He says duty calls. He reallymis bummed he can not be home for his sisters babies birth. He prolly will not be home here home until sometime maybe in February. Bummer. He said they were going to be on lock down and can not leave the base at all. Well any way sqo happy we got to talk. That does not happen so much ever. Really miss him.
Will, I love the new garden you are doing a fantastic job. Green thanks I know it will be hard for her and all. She is a strong women. All will be fine soon I am sure. Thanks so much.

Finally have a computer on order. Sometime next week I'll be back on.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

"Yeah!" that Amanda will be back next week.

These 2 identical plants that Debra gave me are forming buds like they're about to bloom. I'll have to post a pic when they do. The other one that was cut off real short is finally starting to form some tiny leaves. Debra, do you remember these plants?

gl, you have so much going on with your family. I know sometimes everything happens all at once. The gardening is really therapeutic for me to unwind and release stress. I hope that it does the same for you.

I went with Carla and Chloe to meet her new teacher yesterday evening. Chloe was very happy to learn that her teacher also has type I diabetes. This was also a relief for Carla that she didn't have to explain about Chloe's "lows" & need to see the nurse sometimes.

I'm feeling tired and lazy this evening though my mind is racing thinking about all the chores that I need to do, but I just don't feel like doing anything. It's "hump day!" lol

This message was edited Aug 14, 2014 6:29 PM

Thanks GL, I think that flowerbed is full, I don't think I should overdo it and plant too much in there, they might get all crowded up someday.

I made a bunch of variegated Creeping Charlie cuttings today. It has really grown fast in the 3 months that I've had it. It was a $3 little plant when I bought it, now it touches the floor with several "creepers"! It such a neat plant, I can't say enuff good things about it! Let's see, it's variegated, it's hardy to minus 40 F.... Somebody please tell me it isn't just a variegated Gill-Over-The-Ground! I was just now reading some about it in Plantfiles, oh I can't believe it! Man, that stuff is all over the yard! Well, I'd rather have this stuff than those nasty green ones I guess. Oh well, this looks like it's really something so I'm keeping it. That Willow cutting there in that bowl of water is a cutting of Dappled Willow that a certain store was good enuff to donate to me about a week ago. There is some Purple Coneflower flowerheads ready for planting (in the black pot), dried flower/seedheads and all. That green pot has 'Powwow' flowers/seeds in it but I don't think they'll come up white if they come up, we'll see. Btw, I know those Creeping Charlie cuttings look upside down, which wouldn't be right. But remember they were vines hanging downward to begin with. I had to stop for a minute and think about that about 3 times when I was planting them! lol
Now, just watch, I did them all wrong and none will take! If it weren't for the half empty jar there'd be no jar! And I need that jar to put cuttings in water!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Gb. Yes I love to be in the yard and forget about the day or the thoughts that are going around in my head. Thanks.
Will you just keep going with the p, ants you really are doing a great job. They look great. Man I put a little tiny spider plant on my front porch the beginning of the summe. Now it has about 6 babies shooting off of it. It has grown so fast. Must be a great place for him to be. Happy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.