CLOSED: Fairy Garden Swap: Sign Up by August 13

Ocean Springs, MS

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368141/

and here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1366066/

Rules: Sign up ends midnight CST August 13. Names given August 14. Mail deadline is Sept. 13. This is a secret swap! Please post pictures when you receive!
This swap is for those of you who are "pro's" and for those of us who are beginners! If you have a fairy garden, please post pictures, ideas, a list of plants you use, etc., that may help the beginners get started. For example, I am starting a fairy garden, but mine will be located in my sunroom.

1. Please keep your cost between $15-$20. I know some of you are making things, so include that as part of your cost. Please remember that shipping is not included in the cost of what you send.
2. When you sign up, please list your wants/wishes/preferences, but remember your buddy is not obligated to send exactly what you have listed.
3. Please make sure you specify if you are doing miniature or life-sized, indoor or outdoor, etc.
4. I have listed names below from the interest thread. If you decide to pass on this swap, please let me know and I will remove your name. IF YOUR ADDRESS IS NOT IN THE ADDRESS EXCHANGE, PLEASE DMAIL IT TO ME!

Interested Participants:
Froggiesgirl
Happgarden
Taters55
Joycet
Nanny23
C_Ville ??
Jokenna
Ahoogstra
Syrumani
Jordankittyjo
AliKat32
SPGardens
jxstiger ??
domehomedee
cheermom
rose318
dahtzu ??
moonjala
Badcat

Please feel free to dmail me with any questions, suggestions or concerns. Thanks, Julie

This message was edited Jul 28, 2014 4:48 PM

Ocean Springs, MS

My fairy garden will be a miniature indoor garden. I would welcome any plants, miniature decorations, miniature fairies and gnomes. Don't really like dragons/fantasy items but would love miniature butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs, gazing balls, lights, etc.
I'll be starting a fairy garden outside next spring, so anything for that will be fine. Forgot to add that my 17-year-old daughter wants to do a Halloween fairy garden. so, if anyone has a Halloween fairy, I'd love to get her one! This is the first time she has shown an interest in gardening, so I'm getting things for her!
I'll love whatever I get!

This message was edited Aug 12, 2014 4:17 PM

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

My fairy garden will be outside in the shade. Don't do gnomes, but fairies, or faeries of any kind and any accessories will be loved.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

My garden will also be outside. Anything fairies, angels, elf's, gnomes.... any size, I will make it work!

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone!
Our Fairy garden will be outdoors in the shade.
We prefer handmade items.
Along with items that will light up the garden (fairy lights. solar items, etc.)
No Gnomes,please....but fantasy accessories yes.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

My garden will be in the sun, outside. I need a pond, little pots, aaccessories,anything fairies or angels.

Atlantic Beach, VA

Greetings. :)

My fairy garden will be outside too and I'd prefer:

Anything related to the Phoenix/fire bird, fairies, butterflies/dragonflies, fairy house accessories, small crystals, plants, gazing balls..etc. Anything specifically element-related (earth, air,fire,water) as well as Celtic knotwork. Feathers and bird-related fairies (especially firebird anything) is also awesome..thank you. :)

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

This will be my first ever fairy garden, and since I do not have a patio in this apartment, it will be an indoors garden. I'm thinking I'll start a terrarium in a 10 gallon fish tank? Anyway, anything to get me started! LOL!!! Ooh, like Moonjala . . element related anything would be great!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone,
My garden is in a terrarium. I want to try to make a forest with small bridge, woodland cottage with fairies or elves. I love animals of all kind, and insects and ladybugs and butterflies dragonflies. Plants are great too. I also have a outside garden with little 4 inch gnomes ,so anything is fine with me. Just have fun.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2014 5:56 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I am doing two gardens. One is a typical fairy garden outside. The other is a gnome garden and I have a couple of gnomes and they are about 4 inches tall and also outside. I can make anything work and can create something completely different. Please don't fret over anything if you get my name.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

My fairy gardens are all miniature, with 2" to 3" tall fairies and gnomes. I do have a hobbit hole with a five inch door, so I have a place for larger pieces.
I like natural colors and realistic looking pieces.

I'm working on a "fairy castle". It will have lots of "outdoor" space for miniature pots with live or fake plants in them. Would also like any miniature outdoor decor items, gazing ball, or mini tools and such. Honestly anything that looks kind of real but in the miniature would thrill me.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2014 4:58 AM

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I will get back to you with the details, as I am still a work in process where my fairy garden is concerned.
Miniature will be the size, most likely outdoor. Sun/Part Shade. I like pretty much anything, would love some fairies or a dragon, but I won't limit myself to only that. I would also love to have a fairy door to go on my tree out back, if anyone is good with power tools, lol. They are way too expensive to buy. I could use some miniature animals, rabbits, hedgehogs, birds,foxes,you know ones you find in a forest.Just throwing a few things out there.
I do have some things I am working on but shhhh , it's a secret. ;)

This message was edited Aug 13, 2014 5:40 PM

Ocean Springs, MS

I'll be back later to update the list. got some things going on this morning. Have a great day!

Ocean Springs, MS

Nanny, trying to think of a way to make a fairy door! Will do some searching!

I've been looking at the things I've gathered and oh, my, I'm going to need more than one planter! LOL... Think I'll share some of what I have and put some up for next year's outdoor garden!

http://rootsnursery.com/fairy-doors-9-creative-fairy-doors-ideas-you-can-do-yourself

Check this site out!

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, LK! Will check it out!

Ocean Springs, MS

Nanny, can you give us an idea of what you want the door to look like, the size, etc? Thanks

I love all the archways around the doors. Some are so enchanting ` and mystical and so easy to make if you have the tools.

Here is just an idea

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/191614159120134844/

Something Rustic. 5-7" tall maybe a little taller.

I found a site that had lots of styles, but forgot where
i found it. I am still trying to locate it. :)

Ocean Springs, MS

Nanny, that's really cute! I have horseshoes! LOL

Who likes gargoyles? Found some today at the Dollar store!

post a photo if you can Julies on the gargoyles

Anything miniature is fine with me!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I started mine today, amidst the smell of the septic. It was real pleasant. Hopefully will be fixed by morning

Cutlerville, MI

Hello everyone! Back from a MUCH needed vacation to a lake house! My hubby says I should have been born a fish! I literally spent 8-10 hrs each day in the water! lolol
Anyway......I found some "treasures" to share with my Fairy Garden Swap buddy! Can't wait!!!!
Have a wonderful day everyone!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I no longer need a pond, but would like a bench or little critters, some assesories.

Kathy - can you post a photo of your pond?
I am hoping that by the time Fall comes I can make a pond... although it will be covered in pine needles + snow this winter.... I have to make it a point to bring in all of my garden items before the hard frost comes in. My fairy will freeze... and thats no good....lol

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

As soon as the pond gets here I will post a picture of it. One of my outhouse too!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Too funny. I think this is one of those occasions where the size is important. Hope my buddy post what size height wise she neexs

Cutlerville, MI

This is a tough decision......I would like mini.....I am SOOOOO excited to start REALLY creating..lol
Have a wonderful day everyone!

Heres a completed fairy leaf house against a tree.
The metamorphic rock castle still in the works.
And finally the fairy hanging basket - had to move it due to the birds pulling on the plants, moss, jewels and fairy.

Thumbnail by SPGardens Thumbnail by SPGardens Thumbnail by SPGardens

Babette, you have been busy! they all look great, but I think my fave is the hanging basket. I love that fairy! Where did you find it? I have had trouble finding fairies that I like at a reasonable cost. It seems like the second the name "Fairy" is added the price goes way up.

Those are beautiful.

I will take any size sent.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm planning on mini, but like LK, I'll be happy with anything sent!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

What they said. I am not hard to please

Ocean Springs, MS

I think we'll all be happy with what we get! We are gardeners with great imaginations, so we can make it work!

Someone mentioned outhouse! I'm making one from a craft birdhouse I got from Michaels that is about 5" high. Just turn it around and paint the door on the back!

Question: I need to glue some moss on something to line a basket. Whatever I use has to allow water to flow thru. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Love, Julie

Ocean Springs, MS

For some reason, I cannot edit the first post to delete those who have decided to pass on this swap. So, please ignore the list of participants in the first post. All who have committed to join are listed in the second post. Thanks, Julie

Ocean Springs, MS

Please continue your chat, ideas, pics on this thread. If you need to go back to the previous thread, here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368141/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am not going to be in on this after all, but hope to see you over the Labor Day weekend, Julie.

Ocean Springs, MS

OK, WE ARE STARTING A GAME. SPGARDENS AND I WILL BOTH BE SENDING OUT PRIZES FOR POSTAGE.
BABETTE IS OFFERING A DRAPED FAIRY HOUSE FOR POSTAGE.
I'M NOT SURE YET WHAT MY PRIZE WILL BE, BUT I'LL LET YOU KNOW SOON!
RULES:
1. If you do not want to pay postage for the prizes, you can still play the game, but let me know in your DMAIL that you are not playing for the prizes.
2. Each day I will post a fairy trivia question. When you know the answer, DMAIL it to me. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS ON THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!! IF ANSWERS ARE POSTED ON THE THREAD, THAT QUESTION WILL BE VOIDED AND YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CHANCE TO ANSWER THE NEW QUESTION!
3. Everyone who gets the right answer for that day will have their name put in a hat.
4. We will play the game until August 22, except for weekends.
5. On August 23, I will draw 2 names from the hat. The first person is allowed to choose the prize from Babette or me. The second person will receive the remaining prize!
6. Have fun and don't forget that Google is a great way to find answers!

FIRST QUESTION: Name this fairy...You'd know if you had one of these fairies lurking in your garden, because any fruit trees you happened to have would have withered and died. This odd and exceedingly ugly creature has half a body, with one eye, one arm, one leg, and a rooster's crest on its head.

READY... SET... GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.