Mid-Atlantic Fall Plant Swap

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wonderful news for Michelle, Robin! I think your special quilt helped.... I KNOW it did!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Robin: Great news!

Re daylily sale: I'm toying with it. We have a spot where I could happily put in, say, 10 new daylilies. But I'm not sure I'll make it because there are some other things I ought to be doing tomorrow morning.....

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go -- there isn't enough of what I want to make the drive worth it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok, I'm also thinking I'll just go the online route instead of heading to the sale. I can search the pictures, characteristics for reblooming, and the end of season clearance stuff. Now, if I can only remember which web site it was that I saw some great deals on :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Sally, I don't have Happy Returns and would love to have one. I found Rosy Returns at an end of season clearance sale last year. I got one pot and divided it into three pieces. Each little clump put up a single bloom this year, enough for me to see that I really liked it. As those clumps mature, I'll have some to share. I usually only go for pinks, blues, purples, and whites but I just started a lemon yellow section this year so that Happy Returns sounds perfect!

okee dokee Terri! John gave me a huge clump of it a few years ago.

Dug some irises tonight. Peach, a pretty frilley purple, and a mostly white one- in my Journal- enough to share.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Is there any interest in DL divisions?
I could dig up a couple of the red ones--and the "Monster, fancy Ditch Lily.

1--Red

2--3 Monster one

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Anyone who has extra plants they want to bring, please do so, even if you don't have a want request.
We expect to have a few attending that do not access Dave's.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

thanks, Ric! I'll bring extras.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have oodles of started Swedish Ivies. They have already been pinches once
and are now filling in.

I also have lots of Spider plants growing. Both reg. ones as well as the Curly ones.

I have 9 small pots of rooted Brazilian Plume Flower. These will bloom next summer.
They have to grow new stems--which bloom at the tips.

I also dug up, divided, and am rooting 5 pots of Pulmonaria (Lungwort).
They are slow to settle in and root--but there is new growth showing.

Of course--if anyone wants any African Violets (not in bloom) or small Holiday cactus--
I have lots of those as well.

Still have a lot of packages of 25pcs. of the brown bamboo stakes for $2.50-tax is included.

Will go to my "haves" and put all these in. G.

1--Brazilian Plume
2--Bamboo stakes
3--My big Swedish ivy HB. (June--it is bigger now)

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

yup...Gita will have a carful again...

Sure thing Ric! Anything not taken becomes your compost...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

NOOOOO! sally--I am trying not to.
My car may be 'full"--but not so much with plants. I have the cuttings if anyone asks--
some extra packages of Bamboo Stakes--2 Lawn chairs--can be tied on top of my car---
Gifts and the food---NOT bringing a table. One of my back seats will need to be up.

SS is kind enough to come here this Saturday and take all the Astilbe orders to:
Herself--Aspenhill-- Happy-- and (maybe??) some stuff to Paul. Not sure yet.
Robin also wanted some Astilbes--but she/you don't seem to be on the way.

All this Astilbe stuff is a huge amount of trays and boxes. Bless SS for doing this.

I will also have 3 people in my car--Me--Speedie--and Tammy.
Not much room for anything else.

Speedie is spending the night here with me--and will continue her trek home in the AM.
and i will be off to work at the HD.

G.

Oh, you and Speedie will have a blast. PJ Party!!

Maybe I can get up there in the next few weeks to get my stakes and Robins astilbe. I have a plant to give Robin (CatBIRD?) also. The only days I am always off are Fridays and Sundays.
Are you off Friday morning?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: If you decide you want to dig your daylilies, I'd love a bit of the red one. I'd bet anything it is Red Volunteer which is one of my favorites.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--
You know that Ss is picking up your Big Root geraniums from me this Saturday.
along with all the slew of Astilbes. Very nice of her to do this. I am hugely grateful.

I will see if there is a clump to dig up for you too---they grew very well this year.
I will then put it in the box/tray with your geraniums.

Yes--these ARE the "red Volunteer ones, to the best of my knowledge.
A very old variety. My neighbor, now long deceased, had these in her garden.
Her father was from Holland and had a small Bulbs Nursery somewhere in
S. MD. He gave her these DL--as well as some of the Irises that I now have.

Are hey rare? hard to find? I'd like to know that.....

You may want to plan to pick all your stuff up from SS.

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

Are you talking about THIS Friday? It would be OK with me. What time?
I am, usually, off on Fridays I just have to be somewhere at 5PM.

LMK if you are coming. G.

Gita, yes this Friday. Like, 10 or 10:30? Ack tomorrrow is Thursday! Sheesh the days fly.. Mark I think is working. Do you know how many astilbe for Robin Catbird?
I was going to get Swedish Ivy and maybe Spider plant from you for my son's office, too. I need to see if there is some kind of plant hanger that can go onto a 'cubicle' wall; he doesn't have a tall file cabinet or a credenza to put plants up on as I assumed.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---

I do not have to be anywhere at 5PM--that is NEXT Friday! DAH....
Crab Feast at the Senior Center....YUMMM...
I do not go there at all--but i do join every year--so I can have
my Taxes done--FREE!

Thank you for reminding me about the Swedish Iivy for your son.
I started it right after you asked for it a while ago--in a 6" self-watering, POT.
NOT a HB at all. I wanted it to grow nice and full--so there are a lot of cuttings in there.
It is coming along real well in this cool, moist weather.
It is a nice, dark brown pot, with the kind of saucer that you can pour the water into.

For the Spider--do you want the curly one or the regular one? You can choose...

I also have a lot of the small ("Don Miller")Begonia pots. This one is very prolific!
It may grow well in an office...

Re the Astilbes--Robin said she will take whatever is not claimed, so I have 5 or 6 for her.
But--being she was the latest to ask--some of them are not a premium quality.
A bit shop-worn...less foliage on them, etc...Roots are there--just the tops are so-so.
They will grow...

I tried to be fair, and Terri also will get some of these. Terri now has 14 pots.
SS has 3. I will keep 2 or 3. and plant them by my shed where i will dig up 2 clumps of the
red DL--("Red Volunteer")--one each for SS and Happy.

When you come--you can look around and see if you want anything more...please!

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita: Red Volunteer isn't rare at all, but it is very popular -- it is often on the list of most popular daylilies. https://daylilies.site-ym.com/?page=2013PopPoll -- see regions 6, 8 and 10. And thank you!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

Could we have a "Who is bringing what food" Thread soon?

Thanks. Gita

thanks happy for the link, BTW we are region 3.
Now I have to get "Mark's Bouquet" I think it's about the most special nice one on the list of all regions

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm looking to get a row of asparagus started in my garden. If anybody has some starts they would be willing to share I would appppppreciate it.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

If I remember correctly, someone mentioned on this thread that they wanted a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum). I have a pot that needs to be divided, so let me know!

I can bring cuttings of Tradescantia zebrina (Wandering Jew) if anyone is interested. I just grow it indoors, but I guess people do use it outdoors during the summer. It seems to grow an inch a day; maybe that's why its other common name is Inch Plant!

Terp- I have tiny baby asparagus but I don't know if its wise to start from seedlings.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, thanks. Hmm..I'll have to snoop.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pro-Mix thread is back up till Sept 6th or so. I'll try and bump it once a week or so.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the reminder Gita, I'll get one up soon.

TWO gallons of sweet tea from me. maybe three!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

sally--
can you borrow--or do you have--one of those many-gallon jugs with the spicket
at the bottom?
That would be much easier to grab and go than handling 3 separate gallon jugs.

JMHO. Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Put up a Food Thread. Getting rehung just thinking about all the good food you all bring. Yummy
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1372077/

Also I was thinking of not doing a Gift Table this year. With doing the stepping stone project I thought it might be too much going on but it isn't a lot of work to have one so if you all think we should please speak up. They are fun to do so give me a yea or nay on the Gift Table.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've updated the attendees list at the top. Please let me know if I missed your name. Thanks.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I have an extra colocasia Black Stem. I got one from coleup and then got another one, thinking that mine had died, but it woke up from dormancy after all. Would anyone like this bulb? Coleup, do you want this one back?

I have a persian shield that I will not be overwintering. Anyone interested?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

>b>I vote FOR a gift table! That is always a lot of fun and anticipation...
Besides--I already have about 3 gifts in mind.

Maybe to lessen the time involved--the "who goes first and next" procedure
could be shortened in some way. Maybe just drawing numbers?

--Pre-number a bunch of index cards with a bright pen to whatever end-number
--Then--everyone takes one as they sign in.
--Then--Get one of the older kids to man the gift table and be a "caller"....
In a loud voice..."Number 5 is next!".>/b> Then give that kid(s) a prize for helping.

If you like this idea--I hereby volunteer to make the "Numbered Cards".
and bring a bucket/flower pot to have them in--all decorated...
I will also make any signs necessary re the drawings. OK?

Gita

I like the idea, that when you place something on the table, you take one of the numbers, But we won't know how many numbers we need before everyone places their things.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Good point, Sally....HMMMMM....

Will Holly not know how many people are coming? We are telling her who is.
Also--I always bring 2 or 3 gifts--so if someone cannot--or does not--
they are covered. Like--I have plenty of packets of Bamboo stakes....;o)

I'd rather NOT make getting a gift be contingent on if they brought one.
I would prefer they take a number when they sign in for their name tag.

Some people--or member guests, may not bring anything. So--I bring extras,
as do other people--I am sure. There are always leftovers anyway.

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like the Gift Table is a go. So everyone that is interested in participating please bring a gift of some kind for the table. Everyone that brings a gift will get to chose a gift. I'll come up with something easy.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SO--Holly---

Do you like the pull-a-number idea I explained above or would you rather just do
something on your own?

I have time to do all i said i would do--if you like the idea. If not--
that is also OK with me too. Just trying to take some of the load off of you guys.

Let me know how I can help you.

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

As long as there are more numbered slips than people participating, what Gita suggested should work. Each person would still be in the same position in line, and if the person in charge pulled out the remaining numbers, they would know which ones to skip. Or maybe I'm having a senior moment, but it seems to make sense.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

"Each person would still be in the same position in line, and if the person in charge pulled out the remaining numbers, they would know which ones to skip."

Pat--this statement you made confuses me....
the part about pulling the remaining numbers....???

If the remaining numbers were pulled--then there would be no need to skip them.
BUT--I may not be seeing this clearly.....I LIVE in Senior movements.....;o

G.

still going to take some management- who's going to know when their number is up, or who is "number 17" that we're all waiting on to pick a gift and keep it moving? Not complaining just trying to help get a system figured out.

If we use name slips, then one person picks the first participant, and that person picks a gift and then the next name and finds the next person, etc. Then no one person is stuck bein in charge. And maybe it helps introduce someone to a new person.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.