CLOSED: OLD, NEW, BORROWED, BLUE THE RESULTS

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Rules are simple, four items, one each old, new, borrowed, blue. We should get our boxes out by July 10. Here are those who love a challenge:

Careyana received from Jokenna
Badcat received from Careyana
ahoogstra received from GardenQuail
Jokena received from Bettypauze
Bettypauze received from ahoogstra
rouxcrew received from 13Turtles
Cville_Gardener received from badcat
FruitoftheVine received from Cville Gardener
GardenQuail received from froggies_girl
froggies_girl received from rouxcrew
13Turtles received from FruitoftheVine

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1364259/#top

This message was edited Aug 14, 2014 7:26 AM

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Got my buddy :)
And to whomever got my name... a little tip: take a look at previous threads of this swap. I've listed likes and dislikes there.
Michelle

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Got my name too and am assembling the box as we speak. :-) Fun!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Got two things in mind and need clues! If everyone participating hasn't posted on this link Joy started for us last year, please do. It'll help me and probably several others who are scratching their heads.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1316497/

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Got my name too! And THANK YOU Fruity for posting that link! That will help tons!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Shoot, I didn't,t know this was up or I would have joined. I must have thought it was the red white and blue sw. guess it is too latenow.

FRUITY!!!!!!!!!

FRUITY!!!!!!!!!

I missed this too!! Awwwwwwww...

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Fruity! Yeah!

Crystal we beez too slow ...lol...

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Maybe just as well. But I did enjoy this last year. I was thinking this swap was in cooler weather last time. I guess I saw the work blue and since it is July thought it was RWB swap.

You Bama gals need to have a girls day :) Didn't participate in RWB this year but it usually starts about May so there's ample time for everyone to gather for Independence Day.

I had a great day. First alone time I've had since hunting season last Fall / Winter. Had the house all to myself and got a lot done. Mickey and Max slept most of the time instead of bouncing off the furniture like they regularly do when hubs is around. Amazing how that works.

And I'm first to receive! My bud was Carole.

Old: chalk paint Fruit kitchen wall plaque. You know, my Mother had a bunch of different ones over her kitchen cabinets for as long as I can remember. This one brought back sweet memories.

New: Garden Flag with a cool wildly colored Tropical Frog

Borrowed: Hand-Made Organic Soap, made with ingredients borrowed from the Earth.

Blue: Blue Penstemon Seeds from Botanical Interests. I know from past experience what a reputable company this is.

Thanks so much, Carole!

I've ordered things for my bud, along with an "old" I'd already set aside, so hopefully the orders will be here in about a week or so and her box will be in the wind.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Unintentionally forgot to mention the gorgeous card made by our own Candi!

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh what a gorgeous frog! And beautiful soap and card too. What a double bonus day for you!

Great Box Miss Fruity! I remember those fruits in my grandmother's house. I thought they were wonderful as a kid.
I found a truly fabulous item today at my local antique shop. Now I have three of my four items, I have no clue about my fourth, I keep hoping for inspiration.
Good job Carole

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

Fruity what a nice box of goodies.

I am so lost on this one this year. Just no inspiration on my buddy :(
I got the borrowed one but thats it. Lord help me!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Awww girl! Don't sweat it! Guess in if they didn'tpost they like surprises. I know iI do! Sides you send awesome boxes anyway :) xx

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, you tell 'er baddy. No worryin allowed or necessary.

I've got two of mine and know what I'm looking for for the third, but, uh, I'm having trouble with New. Believe it or not. Everything I think of already has "character." Lol

Hi, all.
I received my box on Monday. My buddy is Julie (froggies_girl). My box contained the following (left to right):
borrowed - a frog wind chime that graced her kitchen for years
blue - a lighted blue butterfly to hang on a window or a potted plant
old - hardy amaryllis bulbs from her grandmother's yard
new - thermometer with clock, decorated with butterflies
Thank you Julie! Unfortunately, the thermometer and its glass cover broke in transit. The clock still works, my husband will try to fix the thermometer, and I can use it without the glass cover.
Michelle

Thumbnail by GardenQuail
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're very welcome, Fruity. It's always fun finding the items to send for this swap. I hope you enjoy everything.

Fun box, Michelle. Hubby to the rescue. :)

Cutlerville, MI

I have my name too! So excited. My box will leave on Monday! I'm just waiting for one more thing to add:)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's good to see you again, Alicia. I've missed you. :)

13, everything in my life has character. We live in an old farmhouse and I love to junk, antique, and repurpose. So new is always tough for me. Then I start thinking, which is a dangerous proposition, and start changing the category. My new could be blue, my borrowed could be old, and so on. Then the worst part is the moment I send my box I find something I think would have been better. I feel your pain, lol.

Great box Michelle. I have a big dial thermometer that has had no front for years, it occasionally gets knocked off the tree it hangs on. We just straighten the hand and it works. To coin a phrase from 13turtles, "it has character."

Victoria Harbour, ON

Raining here today, went downstairs put a quilt on the frame and got side tracked, lots of things I could set in a box if I finished them so working on my box and hope to get it out before the weekend.
Just love the boxes received so far, creative they are..

This message was edited Jul 1, 2014 1:35 PM

I've been having some trouble with inspiration too! Between fostering a puppy (she's cute but such a livewire) trying to organize things that haven't been touched from years and getting sidetracked (HEY! Maybe this will work for the swap!) and now the World Cup!

I had a great idea for "borrowed" but immediately forgot again. I am so scatterbrained!

Carey, ck your dmail please.

Ocean Springs, MS

Gardenquail, I am so sorry the glass broke on the thermometer! I guess I didn't pack it well enough! Hope you like the other things. I saw on your "want" list that you wanted hardy amaryllis.

Fruity, like the goodies you got! Especially the frog!

Love, Julie♥

Hi, all.
Fruity, sounds like a fun box :)
Julie, well, the good thing about the glass no longer being there is that I can now feel where the hands are pointing on the clock. And if my husband can get the thermometer working, we'll try adding a few braille markings so I can tell what the temperature is. Then we'll just have to hang it where I can reach it :)
Hopefully, I'll do better with these hardy amaryllises. I got one in a trade, but it didn't make it. I think the soil it was planted in held too much moisture for it's liking. Before I try planting these, can you give me an idea of what kind of soil they were planted in?
I'm also still contemplating ideas for the box I'm sending. Started working on one of the items this evening.
Michelle

You know how I said I only needed one thing? Went shopping yesterday and bought several neat things. Now I have no idea what I am going to do. It made it harder not easier.
It's all so neat, and couldn't get two of anything. Sigh

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

:-D)))

Ocean Springs, MS

GardenQuail, I'm glad you are finding a way to make the clock work for you. The amaryllis were planted in good, old fashioned soil that drained well. I live on my grandmother's property and the yard has never had anything added to it (thank God, no red clay!). The amaryllis are still in the same place she planted them almost 70 years ago!

Joy, I do the same thing. Go shopping for one thing and then buy many! LOL

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Joy. Yeah, I was trying to figure out if I could make all four items fit all of the categories, lol. Guess I'm an underachieving overachiever.

(Hmmm, I don't think I've ever described myself quite so well before!)

What a great description!
I, too, find myself with things that fit multiple catagories but I must say my DH got involved last night. I finished up a batch of peach butter, deciding to can part of it for gifts/storage. Dave was scraping the last out of the pot while I held it and said, "I assume this is for your ONBB swap." Hadn't thought of it. He continued, "well it fits three of the four catagories and if you had added blueberries it would have been all four."
I never thought he paid attention to my swaps. He is right though, new is obvious, old because it is my grandmother's recipe, and borrowed if I share the recipe or because they are a neighbor's peaches and she will get some of the butter in return.
And I hadn't even thought about sending any in this swap.

Ocean Springs, MS

Joy, that's nice that your husband is paying attention! Sounds like you have a very thoughtful guy!

Cutlerville, MI

Wow! the boxes sound wonderful! My box will HOPEFULLY leave by Tues. I could send sooooo many things:)

Julie, he is not really paying attention for the right reason. He just want to make sure that there is enough for him. LOL
He recently brought home apple butter from the fruit market because he said I had given away all the jars that I had made. Like most men he did not bother to check the pantry to see if we had any. Originally I was offended but had to laugh when he made faces at the taste of the bought butter. He isn't allowed to open a jar of mine till he finishes his. He keep me smiling

Haha Joy! Your Dave really is a special man. :)

I need to find the something "old" but otherwise, I think I'm set! I should hopefully have out by next Friday! (when's last ship date? I just want to not be last!)

Hi, all.
Julie, thanks for the info. I have an idea of where I'd like to plant them. Putting them in a different place than last time, so hopefully they'll like this place better :)
As I recall, the last day to mail out is next Thursday, July 10. And that will probably be when I mail my box. Not sure I'll make it to the post office before that, but of course, if I do, I'll let you all know :)
Michelle

This message was edited Jul 3, 2014 11:00 PM

Cutlerville, MI

Hey everyone! I had a wonderful family reunion over the 4th. My son and I got back around 10pm last night...at 11pm a TORNADO. Yikes! We were blessed it missed us by less than a block! The damage is severe all over Kentwood, MI. That being said my box is on track to leave soon! Joy...I sent you a dmail:)

Cutlerville, MI

I thought you may like some pics of my families property in OH...

Thumbnail by ahoogstra Thumbnail by ahoogstra Thumbnail by ahoogstra Thumbnail by ahoogstra

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.