Clematis May 2014

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from ROBINDOG :
Virginiarose, I planted 3 clems from Brushwood around a wrought iron trellis.....the following summer, they reached the top of the trellis & all bloomed beautifully.....the white clem I posted, which may or may not be Ito, has blooms 6" across.......I measured one!

Thanks! I am planing to put in an order but might wait till fall since I have too many other things to plant. Fall is good. I do love the big flowers.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from pirl :
The problem with clem's and post lights/lanterns is that they invade the lantern so keep it trimmed back and check it often.

Our post is pretty tall. I was thinking I would like something six or seven feet tall. The lights are bright even though they are only 15 watts each. There are three 7 year bulbs in there, I had DH install two years ago but one is burnt out, I think it is a short. LOL.
You say trim it back but don't you have to prune them anyway?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I trimmed my Jackmanii in early May and it needs it again right now. It should be blooming any day now. Another Jackmanii has to be cut back by 9 to 12' more than once a summer and is totally cut back to a foot tall in November/December.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Just a note on the deer issue - I just read in a magazine how the wildlife population is completely out of control because we have moved into neighborhoods with wooded areas around them and the wild animals are living off our garbage plus where 50 years ago lots of people farmed the land most of that has gone back to woodland. This article was talking about how hunting is about to change big time in order to get them in check. Many cities are allowing hunting with bows inside the city limits to help control the skyrocketing wildlife. I live in the country in Arkansas and we have lots of deer but apparently there is plenty for them to eat because they rarely eat anything out of my beds even though I see them in my yard sometimes.

I guess here we have a LOT of deer hunters and that helps:)

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

And.... I am hopping up and down to tell you the news!!! Today I was at a local Lowes and perusing the clearance rack as always. The main guy came thru and said everything on clearance would be half the markdown price. So as always I filled up my cart but while I was waiting to check out I noticed a clearance clematis vine on a huge trellis sitting to the side. I asked if they were holding it for someone and they said no it just hadn't made it back to the clearance rack yet. COLOR me excited I got a HUGE madame julia correvon clematis regularly priced at $50 for $12.50. I cannot wait to get it in the ground! WOOT WOOT!!

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

SCORE! Happy day!

Thomaston, CT

Wow....right place, right time! I have a few clems blooming....Gypsy Queen has opened....I'm not too sure of the other....tags were moved & lost when the house was painted last summer.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Great deal, Kjuddy! So glad you got such a wonderful bargain! I do love Lowe's!

Very pretty, Marilyn.

I still have more opening on Omoshiro! She won't give up and I'm thankful. Vyvyan Pennell is also open but hugging the ground so it isn't easy to get a good shot of her. Next to her is Pink Fantasy, another ground hugger and yesterday I worked on hoisting her up on the tutuer.

1. The hoisted Pink Fantasy, fading with sunshine.
2. A newly opened Pink Fantasy showing the color but in yet another awkward spot.
3. Josephine
4. Ruttel is now bursting with blooms but I have to get out early to get photos and just slept over 11 hours so it will wait for morning!
5. Omoshiro (5/27) in the shade of a metal tuteur in the middle of a path to keep out the deer!

Last night I saw that Princess Diana is open so I'll try for that shot tonight around 7 PM.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Pretty, Pirl....most of mine are ground huggers this year, except for Gypsy Queen, & one that hasn't opened yet...my Omoshiro is still blooming away as well......such a nice time of year!

Thanks. I wanted to get a photo of the flower on Princess Diana with a bud in the photo as well but the deer beat me to it.

Duchess of Albany was in bloom as of last night. I'll check out what the deer left me.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Damn deer! I can share my picture with you of Princess Diana until yours come back out.

Thumbnail by happytail
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I think that would be a nice stump clematis, I will see if I can order one or two for fall delivery, leave them in pots and by Spring it will be ready for the ground. Thanks for the loveley picture, happytails

Very nice! It would be grand on a stump!

Ruutel is looking very happy today!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Ah, such pretties!

I acquired some great bits and pieces for making clematis trellises at Habitat's ReStore today, at half price even, for being a member. I'll be happy in the yard tomorrow!

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like a fun project, Turtles! Pirl, my noid looks like Ruutel, & I know I planted it, so that's the 2nd ID for me....thanks!

Great idea, Turtles!

Well, that works out well for an ID, Marilyn!

Thomaston, CT

Yes, thanks! White Flower Farm is having their big sale tomorrow...I'll check out the clems....

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

When they get tall and bloom but bare at the bottom, does that mean it needs a good trimming next year?

I do but sometimes I still just cut them back halfway after bloom. Those I cut to the ground (Class 2) in spring have been poor bloomers for me this year.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

One of my mystery clems has finally bloomed. I forgot all about it this year until I saw buds last week and this week, voila! Does anyone recognize it? I'll try for better pics tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

Could it be Ville de Lyon? It looks darker but that may be the siting. I do love all the photos! Is it with a lonicera?

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Is it Ville de Lyon, Pam? Mine is blooming right now....

Thomaston, CT

LOL...we crossposted, Pirl, but we had the same thought!

See that, Marilyn! I bet it is.

OK, I'll take it! Thanks!!

Yes, it is a Lonicera that's been there since before my time. I planted the Clematis behind it several years ago and it never bloomed. Last year I dumped some manure and mulch on it in the spring, then forgot about it again. I guess the motto is, never give up!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2014 10:15 PM

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

By any name it's beautiful.

Having lost another of my planned Clem-planting spots, I still have two adrift in little pots.

I think I lost clem's Pauline and the two Rituaal clem's I had. Time will tell but there's no green growth.

Just keep them watered and mulched and they'll generally survive without any problem, Turtles!

Thomaston, CT

My trellis with Omoshiro, Gypsy Queen & maybe Ito is the loveliest I've seen it.......my roses & clems on the south side of the garage are a total mess!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

That is so lovely, Marilyn. Forget about the roses for now and just enjoy the clematises. They are beautiful.

Thomaston, CT

Thank you.

Really beautiful, Marilyn. I love the combination of colors. And isn't it accommodating of them to bloom on different levels!

Thomaston, CT

LOL....I thought so!

Happy birthday to our Etelka. I hope it's a very happy day and a great year for you.

Thumbnail by pirl
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Happy new year Etelka!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you very much, to celebrate I planted my new dahlias yesterday, I hope they survive in this heat. Etelka

Happy Birthday!

Thomaston, CT

Hope you had an awesome birthday, Etelka!

Athens, PA

Happy Birthday Etelka. Hope it is a wonderful day!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks again, hope the see some nice new clematises again this Summer. here is one of my V.V. few bloomes but looking good also the Sizaja Ptitza, I moved it this Spring so it is slow to bloom this Summer.

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

This is the first year of my Jackmanii/ Veronica's Choice combo. This is VC's second bloom, single instead of double, and only 1. I'm quite happy so far... and I have high expectations for next year :-)

Hagley Hybrid has just gotten started, too. Lots more buds, so it should look better soon.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.