Clematis May 2014

Athens, PA

Wayside? Don't think so...... Now if you are talking Brushwood or Joy Creek, I am in! ^_^

Question for all of you. I am looking at C. Blue Angel to fill a trellis that was recently added, however I am reading that it should be more in an Eastern exposure as it can fade. Has anyone run into this? I am looking at a Southern Exposure.

TIA.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Okay tried the pics again.
By the way, I appreciate the warning on the "teacup quarts."

Thumbnail by 13Turtles Thumbnail by 13Turtles
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Not me either, Carolyn! Sorry, I have no experience with that clem.

Turtles - I'll bet it's 'The President'.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

this is the picture of President in Brushwood, maybe it will help.

Thumbnail by kiseta

And this one from me:

Thumbnail by pirl
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I was thinking maybe President, hoping so! I'll go out and compare with your pics. Thank you!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I ordered this one from Greenwood Nursery. I am hoping it wasn't a mistake. but I have made them before...lol
I looked them up and it seems very early on, 2009 through 2012 they had some problems. Later years they got better reviews. Lets hope.

This message was edited May 16, 2014 8:13 AM

Let's hope you get a good one.

Here is a few more in bloom now.

Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap
Thomaston, CT

That large blue one is stunning!

Marie - they're all beautiful and your gardens remind me of some magical enchanted garden. Great work in displaying them so well.

Omoshiro and Guernsey Cream finally opened!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

And how pretty they are! Still only buds here......

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Me too. Lovely...

Thanks. I just spotted Pink Champagne in bloom but haven't gotten out with the camera yet.

Thanks a lot for the compliments. Everyone here showing their pretty blooms get one from me too.
In the picture of the bridge. That area floods. That is why we raised the level of the pond. It use to get under water when we had a lot of rain. To the left of the bridge is a sump pump to pump out the back yard. This time of year with all the rain, my back yard is almost a bog. Dig down about 6 inches and it is all water. I have drowned many plants when I first moved here not knowing how wet it got.
So needless to say I search for plants or shrubs that can withstand to live in a boggy area sometimes...lol

A bog that remains wet in winter would be a major challenge!

Thomaston, CT

You've done wonders, Marie!

Arlene ,I love that Guernsey cream Clem color. Please post pics of yours. You have some pretty ones. When I first got hooked. I bought a bunch from Lowes on clearance to get started. I am still adding to my collection to get the variety.

It's probably lighter by now, Marie. The nearly white ones, with the green, often go to plain white after a day or two.

I began with a Wayside offer of either 7 or 9 for a great price and they all lived. So I bought the next collection the following year and they all lived, which amazed our next door neighbor who said they tried to grow ONE but it died so "clematises don't live out here". She lived to 98 and had moved to Ohio but we wrote and she was so shocked to learn I had more than 50 back then.

A collection of different ones , that is nice. I will have to start looking for ones that take part shade. I am running out of full sun.

Try this site, Marie: http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-will-tolerate-shade/

1- Clem with deformed flowers
2-New Clem that came in today. Pot size, I would have called it a pint rather than a quart.
3-Side of house trellis, Jacknami is going wild on the left but no blooms yet. The other seems happy.
4- Front Trellis, Both are covering it well this year.
5- More blooms, more blooms. But I do not see Josephine blooming. I hope I did not loose her.

Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap
Athens, PA

Gorgeous Marie.

I put my HF Young with Carnaby, which is very similar to the arrangement you have in the last photo. Can't wait for mine to start.

I was looking at mine and it looks like Proteus will be first to flower in my yard - which surprises me. Generally I see Alabast first in my gardens.

Beautiful! Both arbors look well covered, and I love the gazebo over the bird bath!

I like the deformed flowers! Am I alone?

Here's a newly opened Nelly Moser, 2010, looking odd but she returned to normal quickly.

I agree about the sizing on that pot.

Our Jackmanii's generally don't bloom this soon so maybe patience is the answer.

All of your photos are delightful.

Pink Champagne is now in bloom, the third to open. I can spot Omoshiro #2 in bloom but haven't gotten to take a photo yet.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

I agree about the deformed clem....it looks interesting!

Thomaston, CT

I finally have some blooming clems....here is a noid, hope someone can ID it.....it was the 1st to bloom....I have Omoshiro, & a few others with only one bloom right now....will post as more come....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

After you all get tired in the garden, come and rest in my big red chair. my clems already bloomed away, new they are resting I guess. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

So pretty, Marilyn... I hope someone can ID it for you.

Etelka, that chair looks very inviting! Do you ever have time to sit?

I can see that I should ahve cut back my Dutchess of Albany. I did not do it because I had transplanted her last fall. But she sure took off and now all the bloom buds are at the very end . Can I cut her back after she blooms?

Thomaston, CT

I like the big red chair....I did sit on my porch yesterday....too buggy outside! Marie, not sure about the pruning......

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Great photos! Love that red chair.

Only my President is still blooming and the wet weather is making even that one look awful but here's a good photo of the clematis center after the petals are gone.

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Thomaston, CT

That looks pretty as well.... I have Old Man's Beard rambling along a fence down back & I love the stamens after the petals fall off........I have a few blooms, but my clems are slow this year.....Omoshiro has opened, & what I think is Killian Donahue.....Blue Light is the last one...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Everything is a little slow this year. I t has stayed so cool.

Marilyn - could your no ID be Miss Bateman?

Etelka - your red chair looks inviting but I'd struggle to get out of it!

Kjuddy - pretty!

Many of ours were opened before we left for Cape Cod last Saturday but now they're in full, glorious bloom. I'll take photos tomorrow.

Cool on Cape Cod, too, Marie! Most days I wore a fleece jacket with a long jacket over it!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, I tought you where missing in action. My garden is ok, the clems are winding down, I got to feed them and use the epsom salt mix. The rest of the flowers are good, everybody likes it in Europe, they are think I have a large garden, it is only 30 x 40 in the front. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

So very pretty Etelka!

I guess I was missing in action, Etelka...more like inaction since we spent a lot of time reading.

Your flowers are gorgeous, Etelka, and I'd bet people slow down as they go past your home just to see all the blooms. Keep those clematises well mulched and they'll reward you in late August into September.

Athens, PA

Stunning Etelka. I love your colors too.

Wouldn't we all love to have Etelka for our neighbor? I certainly would!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.