New Year's Day-2014

Columbus, OH

Karen, I am starting Ammi "Graceland" and "Green Mist", more safflowers since the seed apparently germinates fine indoors(not wintersown, at least for me), some Lisianthus (new to me) and some oddball tropicals. Baobab, etc.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, Your Welcome!

Celene, I have never grown Lisianthus from seed but, bought plants. You'll love them. What color are you trying? They do great in containers or in the ground.
I'm getting ready to start some cleome and cupid's dart and Maltese Cross. I have taken over the air hockey table till spring. Nothing can get knocked off there. I put a plastic drop cloth over the table to protect it. Hope it works! Lol I should have done this the first time around. Not sure DS or DH would agree. Lol

I'm excited to see if my peony seeds did anything. They are outside on the north side of the house in milk jugs. They are not covered. This is my first time trying them. Fingers crossed they grow. I need to check on them.

I have 12 datura seedlings that are doing great. They are the double lavender crossed with white. I'm going to bring some of them to the R/U if anybody wants any. I only wanted 2 of them for the end of my driveway.

Better get going. I'm helping my DMIL clean her house today. Wish somebody would help me clean mine. Lol Maybe someday!
Have a Blessed Day!
Karen

Waddy, KY

Karen, hopefully they'll be there to help you clean house when you're too old to do it yourself!

I've got three flats of tomatoes coming up so far. I guess it's time to get the little plastic greenhouse and the heater out and running. Another year that my real greenhouse hasn't been put up. Another irritant in the story of my life. Maybe someday....

If daylight savings time goes like yesterday did, I'm going back to regular time. Had an ewe that showed her waterbag yesterday morning and basically didn't do anything. We know what to do pretty much with cows but ewes are so much smaller and they say they can go into shock so much easier we were a little leery about sticking our hands in places maybe we should have left alone. We've already had one prolapse on Friday and so far are dealing with that. Anyway, the ewe hadn't lambed by noon and so we poked around just a little and chickened out and called the vet. Our vet was cutting a calf out of a cow and would come as soon as he got done. Called another vet and she was stuffing a prolapse uterus back in someone elses cow. The wait game started. Finally the other vet shows up and she determines that there's a set of twins in there so twisted up she can't separate them. We get the ewe ready to operate and she delivers two live twins. Vet says to really massage and rub them down because she gave the ewe a sedative and they're going to be really dead headed. We massage rub and everything else while she sews up the ewe and have erratic heartbeats on both of them. About the time she finished sewing her up I determine that the one twin DH has been working on has died. I keep working on mine but then all of a sudden its heart stops beating . After the vet totally finished with the ewe she decided to give my lamb a stimulant. Way too late. It's gone. Don't know why she didn't do that before she stitched up the ewe but I'm no vet. Then last night another ewe had a DOA lamb and a cow laid down and spit out a set of dead twins. One twin looked full term, the other definitely premature. I guess she had one in each horn of the uterus and the eggs were ovulated different months. One calf red, the other black. We surely didn't need yesterday.

Anyway, hopefully today will be better. DH mentioned putting the plows on the tractor. We'd better be doing something cause I've got 60 bundles of onion plants cooling their heels in the basement. Things are gearing up and the race is about to start whether I'm ready or not.

Y'all have a good day.

Columbus, OH

I'm so very sorry you had such a terrible day. *hugs* To you and all the animals, I hope your rough time is over.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet, if you had asked for that kind of day, you probably couldn't have gotten quite so much. Sorry. Hope the lambing goes much much better after yesterday.

We are still recouping, and doing well at it. I go back to the surgeon tomorrow, so may get to see my hand and arm a bit before they wrap it in something else!

Have not started any seeds and probably won't. Taking my friend some trays and some little pots so that she can start some tomatoes.

Columbus, OH

Bonnie, you can have any of my extras that you want. I generally don't start tomatoes, I swap with my CSA owner--tomato plants for candles, but I'll have other stuff.

Thanks Celene. May take you up on that, as my friend is pregnant, and I fear the delivery will interfere with her gardening plans!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, Sorry for all of the losses you had yesterday. Hope this week is better for you and you animals.
Prayers you will get to move into your new place soon. You sure deserve it.

Bonnie, I'm growing all kinds of stuff. I'd be happy to start you some tomato plants. Just tell me what kind you and DH like. It would be no problem. Just let me know.

Have a Blessed Day!
Karen

Thanks Karen, let me talk with my friend here just a hop, skip away, and see what she has already started.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, No problem. Just let me know if you want me to start some.

I'm loving this weather! I was able to get my raised bed cut down yesterday. Today I'm going to work on my front yard and septic mound garden.
Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Got the cast off my hand this morning. I feel naked!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad you're doing well, Bonnie!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Congratulations! That is great news!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Felt so good to be outside for a while today! Come on Spring!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It sure did! Glad to hear your getting your strength back. Does it have to get cold again?

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, that sounds great! How's mobility?

Today was a really nice day to be outside. I turned out the does and kids today as well as the ewes that haven't lambed. They all looked like they enjoyed sunning outside. Won't be able to do that tomorrow for sure.

DH got my garden ground plowed today. I was more than pleased. I dug the last of the parsnips while he was plowing. Whew! I'm a little pooped from that. I guess it's a good thing I've been lugging all those bales of hay around in the barn cause otherwise I'd have been a little puddle out there in the field. There was still quite a few in the ground.

I want it to freeze tomorrow night because of the plowed ground but I hate getting cold again. I guess you can't have both. But I think we'll need a few freezes on that ground to help break it up. It plowed pretty good considering but still a few good freezes will help. One of our market members told Paul tonight that we'll have a frost on May 20 because we had thunder in Feb. I think I've heard that before so we'll see. I'm marking the calendar.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, No, we don't want frost that late in May! Lol That is interesting. I had never heard of that. Guess, we'll find out soon enough.

Glad to hear you were able to get your kids out to sun. They probably loved it. Poor things were born in arctic weather. That would be a awful wake up call.
Do the lambs play like the kids do? My neighbor has goats. I love to watch the kids play. They are funny! No sheep at my neighbors. Only cows and goats and burrow's and chicken's.
The burrow's are to protect the goats from coyote.
I'm feeling yesterday in my right hand. I have been doing yoga trying to prevent spring muscle strain. Who knew it would be my hand that I would strain. lol It's better than pulling back muscles. I'm not complaining. It was great to be outside. If only it could have lasted longer.

Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Waddy, KY

New thread anyone?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1353268/

Hope I did this right!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.