New Year's Day-2014

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Prayers and hugs for all of you who need them, soooooo, guess that's all of us!

im pretty bored this winter. We started our basement and i packed up many things . We thought our basement would be done by jan but money ran out . So everything is still packed up
got rid of our chickens . still need to get rid of the rabbits, we are down to four rabbits. i can't give them stupid things away !! lol
we are selling one of the goats. Hope i can find the pedigree for it. with all the packing and cleaning i did in fall , i have no idea where they went ?
Celene i will get them seeds out to you soon. hopefully i remember the box next time i go out to town LOL

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Awww. Sue my condolences on not getting to finish the basement. I would still leave everything packed, cause just as sure as you unpack, by some miracle you will need to pack it up again and resume work.

Had my pre op things today. We encountered black ice on the way into Louisville. I sure am glad that DH was doing the driving, if not, I would have been pulled over in the emergency lane and would have been a shaky mess.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! The heat wave continues. I'm loving this warm up. Hope it lasts.

Bonnie, Prayers and Hugs for Monday. Praying everything goes smooth and recovery fast.
You did get the short end of the stick on this one. One week verses 3 months is not fair trade. What we do for love. lol
Glad Mr. B is doing better. I don't blame him for having the winter blah's. I have had them myself the past few weeks.
Thank you for the prayers. DH's company is trying to get them to go with the consulting company that is outsourcing their jobs. He's not a big fan of helping them. If he goes with the consulting company he will loose his severance pay. He would only have a job with the consulting company until they finish outsourcing to India. Then he would be without a job and no severance pay. I don't want him to go with the consulting company. However, I will support him no matter what he decides to do.
I'm going to get a part time job. I'm excited about getting back out in the work world. I haven't had a job for almost 10 years. I was wanting to work with plants but, I might end up at a animal rescue. I will be cleaning cages and walking dogs. Not rocket science but, would be rewarding.

Pat, We had a thunderstorm Monday night too. Now we are having a heat wave. I love it.
Hope you find your keys. I bought a key finder thing for my keys. The problem is any noise sets off the beeper so I turn it off. It doesn't help you find your keys when it's off. lol Now I have a kid to help me look. That isn't much help either. He will stand in the middle of a room and look around and proclaim he sees nothing. It's a huge amount of help. lol

Sue, Thank You!
Sorry to hear you had to stop on your basement.
Easter is coming up. Call them Easter Bunnies! Maybe that will help get rid of them.
Good Luck finding your pedigree.

Better get back to the house work. I'm cleaning windows today. I'm not sure why it's going to rain tomorrow. It feels great to be outside.
Have a Blessed Day!
Karen

not much going on here
Bonnie wishing you healing thoughts. Yikes on the black ice. Glad you two are all right. That is scary stuff black ice.
Karen yuck housework. I did windows yesterday. Lucy our lab drools on them and makes them such a mess.
Made Beef Carbonnade. pretty good. made with beer and lots of onions
Pat how are the family history coming along ?
got my hair done today. I can't believe how much grey sneaks in ? not ready to go grey just yet.
other then that not much else going on.

Today was my grocery/errand day, and I did a little retail therapy too. It was great being out by myself, and not having DH tapping his foot waiting until I was ready. Since the weather has been bad he has been driving me, and of course rushing me through every store.

Hope to get my windows done before my surgery, but so many other things need my attention, so will just do as much as I am able, and maybe hire someone later to do the windows.

Waddy, KY

I have been just as mean and nasty as a timber rattler today. Must have started with getting knocked over in the mud this morning and then pulling one of my boots off and stepping in the mud because I couldn't keep my balance. It seems like after that I was just daring something else to happen.

Sue, sorry about the basement. Believe me, I know all about not getting something finished.

Bonnie, I hope the surgery goes just fine. Will you be able to drive after? I want a day out of this zoo. I just haven't been able to swing it yet. Let me know when you're back up and going and we'll just pick a day because if I wait for a good one, it'll never happen.

Karen, sometimes having a job away from home is just that. Away from home. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

I think I'm going to start heading to bed. Storms or no storms. Maybe I'll be in a better mood tomorrow.

Janet, I should be good to drive shortly after the surgery as it is my left hand, and I have an automatic. Sounds like you had a heck of a day.

I was home all day, and cleaned the floors. With 2 shedding dogs in the house it has become almost a full time job keeping the dog hair tamed.

We are under a severe thunderstorm warning till midnight, and like Janet, I more than likely will be in bed long before that.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Let me tell you about my mess. I had many seedlings growing in my front room. While I was in the basement my son was playing and knocked the stand the seedlings were on over. I now have over 3 dozen seedlings all over my carpet. I know it was a accident. However, that doesn't diminish the mess. I think everything is a loss. Because, my dogs came into root around before I was told of the mess. Did I mention that I have beige carpet? I guess I will be spending the night cleaning my carpet and giving my dogs a bath.

Sue, Housework! It never ends!

Bonnie, Don't worry about your window's. They just get dirty again. Wait till the spring rains are gone. I wasted my time cleaning mine, they already look bad again.

Janet, Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting out of this house.

Better get to cleaning up my mess.
Have a Blessed Night.
Karen

Columbus, OH

Karen, you may be surprised at how tough seedlings are. One of my cats used to like to lay on the flats, and the first time I saw 30 pots of flattened seedlings, I cried. Most of them popped right back up! Cleaning the dogs and carpet--no fun, though.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

About 20 years ago we had a rescue cat hanging out in the basement. It decided to use my flat of onion seedlings as a litter box. He was thrown outside! No cats in the house until 2 years ago. A late kitten got the nod. She was tossed in the spring. She did spend most of the time in the unheated porch. A little in the house.
Never a dog in the house here.

Columbus, OH

Five cats, two dogs.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Four cats (traditionally five), and one neighborhood beagle.

That which does not kill plants makes them stronger...

Karen, last year in a little greenhouse, DH knocked over a 4 shelf unit with all tomato plant seedlings on it. He was going to just pitch them, but I went in, picked up the little seedlings, put them back in dirt, and we ended up with a bumper crop. Of course we did not know what kind of tomatoes we had until they were ripe. I had them all labeled, but that sure was a waste of time.

Now the carpet and dogs, well that is a different story. I think each one of us has at least one story like that to tell!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

One dog and six cats....don't let me go there!

Waddy, KY

I start most of my tomatoes and peppers in those little peat pots. The nice thing about that is that if the trays try to fly, unless they break off, you can just pick them up and throw them back in the flats. Of course though, like Bonnie said, if you planted different varieties, you won't know which is which.

Had three markets today. One, for a winter market, was a raging success, one in the middle and one totally bombed. Bernie, have you started tomato plants yet? I know I'm already behind but with all this snow around here it just doesn't seem time but it is. I dug some parsnips Thursday. Never grew them before and was pleased to see that they withstood the cold weather with flying colors.

DD turned the baby goats out for a while today. I think they must have had a ball because when they went back in the barn they were laying down asleep in 10 minutes. Wore the little rascals out I guess.

Having farm dogs in the house means that we are constantly sweeping fine dirt off the floor and they're constantly shedding. Wasn't my idea to have dogs in the house but they gave my MIL some company and she enjoyed them. So we had them. And now that they're here I doubt that they will be banned from the house.

Think I'm going to bed early tonight.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I wish I had read this before I pitched my seedlings last night. The carpet and dogs are cleaned up.
I'm a animal lover. I wouldn't want to live without pets. We have 2 dogs and 7fish and a frog.

Celene, On the bright side I still have my Datura seedlings. They were on top of my fridge. I lost my Nora Barlow and some daylily seedlings. I'm really bummed about the Nora Barlow loss. I have plenty of daylily seeds.

Bonnie, Hope everything goes smooth in the morning. I'll be praying everything goes smooth and recovery is fast.
I bet your DH felt so bad when he wrecked the tomato plants.

Oh yeah, last night ended with me opening my Grand Jury duty notice. I have never had Grand Jury duty before. I have been called for regular jury duty. I always get released because I have 2 brothers that are police men. I hope it gets me off Grand Jury duty as well.
Better get to bed. It's been a long day.
Have a Blessed Night.
Karen

I will try to get my DS to post something tomorrow after the surgery. I will not try to navigate here for a few days, as it will be one handed typing, and as you know that will be slow going.

one dog, no cats, two goats, four rabbits.
not much going on here . Cold and windy here today. Went to dr and my HDL is 95 apparently that is an excellant number . all other test are very very good he says. BP is excellant too.
watching Seinfeld reruns. always funny !
Karen hope the cleaning went well. Not fun .

Waddy, KY

Anybody heard from Bonnie?

Had another set of twins and a single birth this evening. I think this makes around 20 lambs and 17 kids. Somehow we aren't having much luck in picking out which one is going to lamb next. We've had a Hampshire in a lambing stall for over two weeks thinking she was going to lamb any minute and all she's doing is getting bigger and eating like a hog. I'm sure if I were to turn her out five minutes later she'd lamb.

It seems like I was busy all day but have nothing to show for it. Got my flats ready for the tomatoes but didn't get them sowed. Didn't get any jam made. Seems like all I did was fed animals. DH had a meeting tonight so I had to also help the kids feed cows and give hay. It was almost 8 o'clock before we got in for supper. Some at hamburgers and some ate left over vegetable soup. Can't feed stock and cook supper at the same time.

Sue, I think those values are supposed to be good. Congratulate yourself. There's a lot of people who wish they had those numbers.

Karen, sorry about the jury duty. I just finished up mine. Just the pits.

Columbus, OH

Husband in law enforcement = zero chance of jury duty, ever.

I got home around 3. the nerve block is just now wearing off, and it may be a very long night. won't try to type much until I get more mobile

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Glad you are home! Hope they gave you good pain medicine to help you sleep. Prayers for a fast recovery.

Sue, Congratulations! 95 is a great HDL #.
Dogs and carpet are cleaned up.
I'm starting over on my seeds. I'll build a fortress around them this time. lol

Celene, I'm hoping 2 brothers will get me out of it. It has in the past. My dad was a good one when he was alive. He was a homicide investigator for Butler County. I never got called when he was alive.

Janet, That is a lot of mouths to feed! I bet all those kids are so cute playing. Not that you would have time to watch them play.
Sounds like mama lambs are like me pregnant. I gained 20 pounds my last 2 weeks of pregnancy with my son. If it crossed my path, I ate it. I would even get up in the middle of the night and eat towards the end. lol

Better get going. I have been cleaning my kitchen today. I scrubbed the walls and the cabinets down. To bad it won't look nice for very long. lol
Karen

Columbus, OH

Karen, tell them that because of your family members, you can tell someone is guilty just by looking. ;) You'll be outta there at the speed of light. I swear to you...I go, I sit down, they look at my paperwork and say "Thank you for coming". I don't even have to say anything.

Bonnie take care of yourself. not to much. Godspeed lady.
not much going on here
snow and cold. brrrrr

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone!
Still hanging in there!
My son and family decided to take me out for a belated birthday dinner this past Saturday evening. We went to Olive Garden..but had to wait over an hr for a table! I didnt mind that too much, but Dave sure did! He doesnt like to wait anywhere!
But the food was good, and the company also. As we were ;leaving, my grandson got into the van, and I stepped back to let my grandaughter get in. In stepping back, I lost my balance and fell...like a big ton of bricks! Down I went..on my left side..hitting the parking lot. My son was standing close, and tried to grab me..but..! So then he tried to pick me up. Well...that didnt work either! I said let me turn over, and i got on my knees. Wow..that wasnt a good idea either! Metal and plastic knees plus hard pavement ...dont mix!! I'm yelling get me off my knees, so he gets under my armpits with both hands and hauls me upright! I am so thankful it was dark outside!!!!! And I am even more thankful that l didnt break anything!!!
I was just a little sore the next two days..and now I'm fine. Geeezzz...that must have been a sight!
Bonnie...how is the hand coming along? Hope things are going well for you?
I have one (old) cat in the house. She is sooo bored with this winter. She loves being outside, but being old, the cold is hard for her...so she mostly has been inside all winter. I'll be glad when she can get out more..and i know she will too!
In fact...I will be glad to get out more myself! But "they" are saying the next two weeks will be COLD...and below normal...grrrrr.!!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, That is a good one. I might have to use it if they don't excuse me.

Bonnie, Healing thoughts and prayers for you.

Marcy, Sorry you fell. Glad to hear you weren't hurt bad.

Brett get going.
Hope everybody has a Blessed Night!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Where is everyone? All snowed in?

Hope you're all doing ok. I have a virus. Not pretty.

Celine, do you ever make little guest soaps? I've been looking for some for my SIL but haven't been able to find any.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Where is everybody? Hope everybody is doing well and enjoying this warm weather today. I'm loving it.

Bonnie, Prayers and healing thoughts for you and your DH.

Have a Blessed Day Everybody!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Karen!

Great minds!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, Sorry to hear your not feeling good. Healing thoughts and hugs to you!
Me and DH are going out on a date tonight. We are meeting friends at Long Horn Steakhouse.
Hope you kill that virus soon. They are not fun to have for a visit.
Have a Blessed Night!
Karen

Columbus, OH

Joyce, I only make the one size of soaps, the little ones made me crazy, trying to package them, they were in little round moon molds. My advice now: Give your guest a nice handmade soap to take home ;)

I am going to try to work in the garden tomorrow while the weather is nice, and late-winter-sow a few seeds. I'd like to get the garden tilled if it's dry enough, and sow some poppies.

Just letting you know we both came through our surgeries and are doing well. I type with one hand, so it is very labor intensive, so just waving for now.

Columbus, OH

Good to hear, Bonnie! *hugs* Hope both of you are doing well!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Glad to hear you are both doing good. Healing thoughts and prayers for both of you. Thanks for waving.

Celene, Good Luck! My yard is a soggy mess. I have to work along the edge of my garden's. It's still fun to get out there.

Headed to the grocery store. I get to go by myself today.
Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Columbus, OH

Karen, after inspection of the soil, waaaaaaaaaaay too wet to till. I will have to make do with sowing some seeds and neatening up.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mine is the same way. Swampy soggy ground.
What seeds are you sowing? I'm getting ready to sow some silver sage and hardy hibiscus seeds. I have some scarlet runner bean seeds started. Hope they do well. Also have datura seeds and yellow columbine going.
Happy Sowing!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, so glad you're both coming along good!

I'm feeling better, but so weak. Wish I could get outside. I took a short walk about yesterday and I was exhausted after 5 minutes! Also saw a dead fish in the pond where it has started to thaw. Hopefully I won't lose them all.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear your feeling better Joyce! You'll get your strength back soon. Don't worry the ground is very soggy. You have to stay on firm ground. Lol

Don't forget to spring forward everybody. Not that we like it!

Have a Blessed Night!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad you reminded me! I knew, but forgot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.