New Year's Day-2014

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd rather dig in my garden!!! :o)

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Me too Joyce, but you probably won't find bodies or artifacts there! Well, unless you buried the bodies yourself.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Lol! Shhhhhhh. :o)

Columbus, OH

I found all kinds of stuff when I dug my beds. A cinderblock, a giant spike, a box of barbie shoes, legos, two spoons, etc.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

You girls are funny! The only thing I have ever found digging in my garden is rocks. I have a lot of them in parts of my yard. Anybody that wants to come discover some can. lol

Bonnie, There is a place I believe in Montana that you can dig for fossils. I looked into it once for a family vacation. My DH did not want to have to dig on vacation so it never worked out. I thought it would be fun.

My yard and driveway are a soggy mess. The ground is so saturated water is just standing on top of the ground. My dogs might have to take up swimming if it rains soon. lol
My DMIL gave me money for Christmas. So, I ordered a few dl's from my want list from Blue Ridge. I'm going to save the rest for local shopping in the spring. My goal is to keep the spring planting on the light side. I about killed myself last year with 70 something dl's. Must have been crazy!
Better get going it's time to get my kid to bed. Hope everybody has a Blessed Evening!
Karen

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, Sounds funner than my rocks. lol!

Karen

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Hope everything went really good this morning. Will be praying for fast recovery for you!
Karen

My appointment time was 12:30 in Lexington, which is approximately 50 miles away, had the surgery and was home before 3:00. Had a headache, but took some ibuprofen changed into pjs, and took about a half hour nap, and I am fine.

DH has put drops in my eyes twice, and of course things are blurry, but everything looks so much brighter.

Have an appointment at 9:00 in the morning for the first follow up appointment.

Mr. B is staying his distance from me, as I have a patch over the eye, and he is not really sure what is going on with me.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear everything went good. Mr.B will come around after a day or so. He'll be around when it's time to eat. (If he's like mine anyway)
Good luck in the morning!
DH will be a pro at eye drops after a few days. My DH put them in for his DF. Funny thing is he can never put them in his own eye. It's not easy for me to put them in his eyes either. Shhh!
Prayers and healing thoughts going your way.
Have a Blessed Night!
Karen

Waddy, KY

Looks like folks have really been busy. Been that way here too. The cold snap kept everyone busy trying to keep water and hay in front of the cows. Like Bonnie, the water meter froze and burst over at the other farm so that had to be fixed. The water in my kitchen froze and burst and I now have all the ceiling in the floor. I think that will be the crowning blow to my getting to move to the other house. That and a few other things.

My MIL passed away on Sunday morning. She had to be one of the toughest human beings I've ever met. She had been doing some coughing the last couple of weeks and we'd taken her to the doctor. She was getting a little weaker and didn't feel "bad" but didn't feel "good" either. Finally, on this past Wed. she fell going into the den and hit her head and we took her to the hospital to make sure she didn't have a head injury or broken bones. My SIL insisted that they do a CXR while they were there because she had planned to take my MIL to the dr the next day and they were planning to do one then. The ER MD came out all in a dither saying that she had lung cancer and there was nothing they could do. Some Frenchman that I wouldn't recommend for his bedside manner. Said they might as well go home??? Anyway, they came home and the next day my MIL said she didn't think that she could make it to go to the doctor. My SIL went instead to talk to the PA who called up the XR's and told her to take her back to the hospital immediately. This was Thursday. Friday they took almost a gallon of fluid off her lungs and she was breathing a little better. The CT scan showed that indeed she did have advanced bilateral lung cancer and they couldn't keep her oxygen level up without 100% oxygen. She was still very alert and oriented and made all her own decisions. She saw family on Saturday, which was too much, too many, but Saturday night when I got there to stay with her, they gave her some medication to help her sleep which unfortunately did just the opposite. I felt so bad for her because it just made her wild eyed. Anyway, she started going downhill at about 3 in the morning and by 11 Sunday morning she'd slipped away. She was one of the finest people I've known and I couldn't have asked for a better mother-in-law. She's being missed sorely.

Bonnie, hope you're seeing clearly now. You should be good as new on that front.

Better get moving. We've got to check with the church and get some flowers ordered today.

Love to all.....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Janet, I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know though, that after watching my mother suffer for over 10 months dying with her cancer, that she and you have both been blessed. It's wonderful that you cared for her so much. I'm sure she was a lovely woman and will be sorely missed. Hugs and prayers going out to you and your family.

Janet, I am sorry that your DMIL passed away. However, I am so glad that the cancer went undetected, and she without pain. At an advanced age treatment for the cancer almost always makes them so sick and their last days torture instead of being in control of all their faculties. You sure did have a good relationship with her, and I know that you will miss her.

Went back this morning for the checkup and got the patch off. Mr. B wouldn't even go to bed with me last night, as he knew something was not right with his mamma. When I came in without the patch, it was like he was seeing me for the first time in a couple of days.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Lol! I love animals! They certainly do a lot of "thinking"!

We have a new granddaughter. Anna arrived this morning by C section. Mom and baby doing fine. They're in Texas.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Karen

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Great news! Glad Mr.B has his mamma back (in his eyes).

Joyce, Congratulations! What a pretty name.

Karen

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Busy day (for me, at least). Took former parishioner out for lunch. She has cancer with brain metastases and can't drive, which is very frustrating for her. It started snowing and it was really slippery. Took her back home, went to dentist to give them an insurance check, went to butchers, bank, gas station, grocery. Got groceries inside and told sis that I planned on collapsing for the rest of the day. As I was saying that, the phone rang and younger sis asked for a ride to emergency vet on other side of town because regular vet had discovered that her cat had a broken jaw, not a dental abscess as they first suspected. So i put my shoes back on and drove her over there, because she never asks for anything unless she really needs it. Kitty is going to have jaw surgery Friday morning. No idea how she broke her jaw!
I bought poultry magazine for my friend neil, who is keeping chickens right here in Westwood. The cover girl on the magazine was a Sebastopol goose, which looks to me like an all white goose who has has all her feathers permed and curled with a curling iron. Makes me want to take up goose-keeping!
Pat

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Good morning! It's a cold one here this morning. It was a whole 5 degrees this morning when I let the dogs out a 6:30 this morning. They took care of their business fast.
Glad we got a snow covering before the temps dropped so low. Now, I need some more snow so we can sled.

Pat, Hope your sis's cat is doing alright. Hope the surgery went good and hope kitty is on the road to recovery.
If you take up goose-keeping share pic's of your flock with us. Would love to see that Sebastopol Goose's top feathers. Sounds cute.

Better get going. I have to get to the grocery store before lunch. Me and DH are going out for dinner tonight. DS is staying with Grandma while we have us a date night.
Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Have a lovely date night, Karen!
Kitty is coming home today after surgery, and will have to be isolated from the other pets, and from most kitty-type activities for 6 weeks! Vet said to keep her in a crate with litter n food n water so she doesn't try and jump around or play with the others until her jaw has healed. I can't imagine.

Janet, just wanted to say how sorry I am about the loss of your mother in law. It sounds like she was a real treasure.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank You! We had a nice time. We went to Long Horn Steakhouse. We had a gift card from Christmas. It was nice to get out just the two of us. Our son loved the drive home from Grandma's house. The snow was still falling and looked pretty in the headlights.

Glad kitty was able to go home. Hope recovery is fast for kitty. Your poor sister, it would not be fun to have to keep a cat caged up that long. I'll pray for your sister and her kitty.

Better get going. Hope everybody has a Blessed Evening!
Karen

Columbus, OH

Hope the kitty is doing well, I'm having some quesadillas made with Power Greens and grumping because DH is DVR'ing two shows at once, and I can't watch another channel. My Kindle has a new book, but it's charging. First World problems, eh?

First World Solution: I will shop for seeds or plants on the internet until it is finished. Or maybe get the pair of blue leopard Toms boots that I've been going to buy for months.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

No school again today. I'm not sure why they cancelled today. We only have about a inch. Maybe it was due to the cold. They never cancelled school due to cold back when I was in school. People use to know how to dress their kids for the cold. Now they send them in shorts in January. Not kidding! There is a boy at my son's school who always has shorts on. I have even offered to buy the boy some long pants. Was told his parents have money.
I had a awful stomach virus yesterday. My whole world was spinning all day. Very happy that is over.

Celene, Hope you ordered your boots. You deserve them.
Do tell what kind of seeds you might of bought. I'm thinking about trying some vines this year. I don't want to make any more garden beds. So, this year I might go up instead of out.

Bonnie, Hope things are going good with your recovery. Hope you are seeing a lot more.

Janet, Have been thinking about you, and praying for you and your family.

Better get going. My son wants some breakfast. Hope everybody has Blesses Day!
Karen

Recoup is going good. Just making me realize how bad the other eye is too!

Karen, DO NOT plant any morning glories. I had 3 one year about 7 years ago, and I am still pulling them up and out of everything. The seeds spread long distances, and there are some even in the vegetable garden. I hate those things!

We have about 3 inches of new snow. I knew the warm day yesterday was a fluke, almost could see the brown grass from all the melting going on.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad things are going well. Hope they can fix the other eye soon.

Thanks for the heads up on Morning glory's. I'm not sure what vine I want to try. I know I don't want Trumpet vine either. One of my friends tried it and now she has it everywhere she doesn't want it. I might go with squash or pumpkins just for fun. Would be tasty in the fall anyway. Not really sure yet.

I'm stripping beds and cleaning bedrooms today. Nothing better than a fresh bed.
Have a Blessed day!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Morning!

Just thought I'd pop in for a minute to tell you all that Bertie has to have rotator cuff surgery tomorrow. Prayers for her and her recovery would be appreciated!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are a few of my back yard visitor's this morning. I scared most of them away with the camera. I guess these guys were to hungry to fly away. Pic 1 and 2 are Junco's and sparrow's with one cardinal in pic 1. Pic 3 is a Downy woodpecker if you can see him. Can you tell I don't cut my garden back? I love the way it looks covered in snow.
Have a Blesses Day!
Karen

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, Not sure who Bertie is but, will be happy to put in prayers for her.
Try to stay warm. They are talking arctic temps again. brrrrrrrrr!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Karen, she's an old time Dave's member who doesn't have internet any more. Most of us oldies know her. She's my neighbor.

Columbus, OH

Hoping Bertie's procedure is uneventful and the recovery is smooth.

Joyce, tell Bertie that she will be in my prayers.

Columbus, OH

Karen, we can talk about some vines :) I have some less-hardy MG's, scarlet runner beans, Cypress vine, etc.

Today was Marcy's birthday. Almost missed it. You have my permission to celebrate all day tomorrow too! Happy Birthday!

Columbus, OH

Wish we were close enough to make cakes for birthdays...

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, I like the way you talk. Scarlet Runner Bean is one of the vines I have been thinking about.

Marcy, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

It's so cold out this morning a little bird tried to come back in the house with me when I let my dogs out this morning. I couldn't blame the little guy.
Better get going! Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

You mean you make your birds live outside in Ohio!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, The birds have to stay out of my house. I believe God gave birds wings to fly and not to be caged. I'm not against other people owning them. It's just not for me. I'd rather feed and enjoy the wild birds.

Hope you are staying warm and safe in this arctic cold weather.
Have a Blessed Evening!
Karen

Waddy, KY

Thank you all for your prayers. And yes, my MIL was the MIL of everyone's dreams. There was never a time that you did something for her that there wasn't a thank you and a smile. She was one that asked for so little that you always wanted to do as much as you could for her.

Goats started kidding yesterday. Had a set of triplets and a set of twins tonight. The triplets are in the basement and I'm going out here in a few minutes to see if the other one is doing ok. The former isn't wanting too much to do with her crew. All I've got to say is that she'd better get with the program if she knows what's good for her.

Trying to get the rest of the tomatoes out of the freezer and get salsa made. Plus, get to the other house and get back to work on the doors etc. I'm ready to get moved up there as soon as I can. This weather isn't helping me much though.

We have the house set on 70 but the furnace can't keep up with the wind out there. We decided not to do market tomorrow. I just can't see too many people coming out in gusts of wind 31 mph. Notice I'm not crying or upset about that.

How's Bertie's shoulder do? Bonnie, did the cataract surgery do ok? Will you be doing the other one too? Marcy, hope the birthday was a good one.

Better get all my clothes on and troop on out to the barn. We're putting doggie coats on these goats to try to help keep them a little warm and got heat lamps on them too. Boy I wish it'd warm up some.....

Good morning, it is white outside, snow blowing and drifting. I guess the WL got this one right.

My right eye (the one that had surgery) has got better vision. However, until the other one is done, there are some things I need my glasses for and others not, so I am constantly putting them on and taking them off.

Janet, oh my triplets and twins. Your ladies really gave you a bonus.

Hope Bertie's surgery went well, and that she is in rehab, and doing fine.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet,
I'm glad to hear that your not doing market this weekend.
Sounds like you have a lot of new kids. They are in good hands with you to look after them.
I got a laugh thinking of goats in dog coats. It sounds cute. I pray it helps them keep warmer.

Bonnie, Glad to hear things are going good. How long do you have to wait for them to do the other eye? I hope it will be soon.

Better get going have to get to my housework. Hope everybody stays warm and safe in this bitter cold. Have a Blessed Day!
Karen

hey people
just dropping in to say hi .
stuck in the house with a husband with pnemonia .
he is resting so that is good. stupid man wanted to go to work !
hope Berties shoulder is doing good
tell her i say hi
got to get moving on cleaning the house
bbl

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for asking about Bertie.. She is doing as well as can be expected. The only problem she's having is that the perches is making her sick to her stomach. She called her Drs office and the nurse told her to stop taking it and start taking Advil or Aleve. She started with the Aleve and is doing fine with her stomach now. The surgery was out patient, so she came home right away. Thursday wasn't too bad, but yesterday was a really bad one. I was making them lasagna and 7 layer salad plus rolls and dessert for dinner today, but she called this morning and asked me top postpone it. She said she doesn't have any appetite and wants to really enjoy it when I bring it, so wait I will. I was making lasagna for us, too, so I still made hers, I just froze it when I got it finished. I made a new recipe spaghetti sauce and it is definitely a keeper!!!

I'll tell Bertie you all asked about her.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.