Morning Glories 2013 #14

(Zone 7a)

Jackie, are you going to grow out your virused Fuji no Sora to see what kind of leaves show up in the next generation? I'd be interested to see what happens. If my memory is working, I seem to recall that any number of things can cause a mutation in addition to virus, such as chemicals including pesticides, bacteria, and various kinds of radiation.

Going down into the 20s tonight, but still have buds on our autumn-blooming Camellia 'Snowflurry' - in bygone years, it has bloomed into December when temps rise, even though flowers that open during colder temps will freeze. The Winter series of Camellia are wonderful for our zone 7 and farther north to z5 for a few cultivars. A couple of local nurseries have been selling these half-price - worth looking into.

To Jackie and all - wishing you a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Karen

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Karen, Becky tested the sds that I harvested for Fuji no Sora. She did not get any variegation that was out of the norm for this vine. I'm horrible about leaving partial bags of my potting mix laying around and not closing up the bags. So could have picked up bacteria. Some of the varieg vines had almost solid white lvs, those didn't live long. Wish I had tried to root the no Sora , the lvs were amazing. Dont think it was from pesticide, I use so little of it

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. :-)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I hope all my MG friends have a Blessed and Happy, filling Thanksgiving!!

A few pics from this summer.
This really doesn't look that much like BSOI, Blue Star of India with that lovely shade of blue.
BSOI is how its tagged.
Pretty blooms this summer from carnea.
The goats next door

Angel and Henry, in the 4th spot. Henry's fixed so he's not responsible for Angels delicate condition. :-)
This would be the guilty party. lol, Mr Bully Goat, spot # 5
The # 2 pic should be in the last spot. The other 3 goats.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2013 3:46 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Gosh those goats are so cute. The blooms are beautiful as well, but golly, I would love to pet those goats..

Awe. I agree. When is she due?

Deb,They are cute.
Linda, a long gestation period but I don't know how long. I would have to google it.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

The gestation period for a Nigerian dwarf dairy goat is 145 to 153 days. I use to have a herd of 45 of them. Best farm animals in the world.

The blue star is interesting as I've got some seeds planted waiting on them to break the soil soon. I can't wait to see them bloom.

Jan

Gautier, MS

Pretty goats Jackie. Very pretty morning glories too. I was off b/c of the computer problems.

Waiting for it to warm up some.

Glad u are back online, Helena. Jan you will love that bloom, but even more so, watching them break thru and form leaves is even more fun!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Can't wait joeswife.

Helena, glad you are back on line now, missed your posts. :-)

Gautier, MS

Jackie, still learning, how to work this don't know about my pictures yet. I saved all the ones on my old puter so I wouldn't loose them. I think I'd like to have my old puter back fixed but for now this will have to do.

I would rather be using my old computer too Helena. It has Vista for the operating
software and it was much simpler. I may give this one to my DH and try to work on
my old one. Wish I was more computer literate. :-)

Out battening down the hatches. We have 8 and 10 degree nites coming and 19-20 degree
days. Ice storm tonight or sleet. Dh gone to get more straw wheat so we can stuff the dog houses full. Enough to make me move further south. :-)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

patootie

That cold of weather I hope you might find room for your dogs to come in at least for over night.

Weather like that is the top reason I don't want to ever live back north... Hope you and the puppies stay warm

Jan

No, Dh wont let them come in. They pee on the floor. We pack their dog houses so full
of the straw wheat that theres hardly room for the dogs. They have to turn round and round till they pack it down some.. Ones a Husky so he doesn't
mind the cold.The other is a big Lab and he seems to weather it ok too. We have wind breaks
up to block the cold wind from swooping right in the dog houses.. I'm sure they will be fine. Much better than the poor dogs around here that their owners won't even put hay or blankets in their dog houses. We feed them 3 times a day when the bitter cold gets here. No wonder they;'re so fat.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

good to hear. I use to feed more during winter months so my collies carried more weight, but they were fine in their kennels in KY, but when we moved to northern OH I wimped out and would bring all six inside the garage. The boys were crated for the peeing reason but the girls had raised beds off the floor with moving blankets and they would pair up. Never got cold enough in the garage for the water bucket water to freeze. DH called the garage the collie motel....

Jan

Jan, at my much larger home in Stonewall, we had a garage and put the dogs in there on bitter cold nites, heated it too. But here, we only have a carport.
We have a shed but not any warmer in there than their dog houses full of straw. If I could
figure out how to give them an electric blanket, like my outside cats, I would. They might chew the cord though.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think the straw will help for sure. Back when I was a kid my grandfather would bring straw in for the collie house and they would have a blast rooting in it.

Hope yall didn't get hit too bad.

Jan

Gautier, MS

Hope you all are ok. It got pretty cold and windy here but not too bad. Feel too cold to go check in my gh though.

Have been running all day and been out in the cold it seems like for hours Helena. Going out to feed my dogs again, fed the wild birds 3 times and the goats once so far. Think I'll take them some hay.
The high today so far 26. Got down to about 14
last nite. I know Deb would laugh and others in cold states at my thinking 14 is cold.
Getting ready to check out the weather in a few to see what we get to look forward to tonight.
:-(

I am not laffing, I am worried about our plants in ground that aren't used to this single digit crap. Sorry, I am a zone pusher, can't imagine all you do , Jackie, but I also have been putting out feed for the birds and water in the birdbath, and lots of leaves on the garden beds.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

BRRRR not that cold yet here but getting close...wintry mix for tomorrow windy and high of 37.
My dogs are spoiled, live inside with their own couch, when it's cold they go out for their business and right back in. They do love the snow though! Chickens are fed and light is on the water feeder to keep it from freezing. The birds are going crazy eating the berries from the pear tree and holly tree. The pond is still flowing so fresh water is still ready for them, may do a small heater this year to keep it going.

If I get the Christmas stuff done I'm going to star a few MGs for the winter.

Deb, I hope you don't lose any of your zone pushing perennials.
Kinda worried about my Camellia.
The wild birds were eating up their bird sd as fast as I could put it out. No wonder,
the wind was bitter cold.
Ronnie, we haven't even started to think about Christmas and its almost here.
Hope you get to start a few mg sds. I would love to but its not going to happen. :-(

(Zone 7a)

Jackie, is it still chilly where you are? bad joke, I know - hope you and your family and critters are all safe and warm.

We have a winter bird hotel - a yew hedge - when you walk down the path alongside it, especially at night, you can hear the flutter of bird wings following you as you pass. So I like to think the ones staying around are cosy right now, with snow still blanketing everything.

Tried unsuccessfully to upload some of last summer's flowers. Have been enjoying everyone's pet & critter pics & stories.

Karen, in the 40's here, so not as bad. Will be in the 50's next week, something to
look forward to.
Haven't done any Christmas shopping, maybe this weekend.
Hope you and yours are staying warm. :-)

(Zone 7a)

My family is scattered, so shopping for me consists of trying to find out what they would like and then ordering it over the internet to be sent directly to them. Traveling has gotten very difficult for me, so not sure what I'll be able to do along those lines.

Looks like 100% chance of snow, sleet & rain mixture tomorrow, so will prolly hunker down with a few projects at home. At night, we light the woodstove - wonderful for writing Christmas cards tomorrow night.

We lost our cat in November to inoperable cancer. Our vet helped us to keep him comfortable, and he showed no discomfort until his last day when we knew it was time to let him go. The house is so empty without him - so I especially enjoy hearing about everyone else's pet and critter anectdotes. How are yours doing?

I'm with Ronnie on starting an MG vine or two after Christmas, hoping to grow some of Dany's.

Karen, My Christmas shopping these days consists mostly of buying for my grand kids.
They're older so want electronics and more expensive items these days. I miss buying toys
for them to squeal over, so much simpler back then.
So sorry about losing your cat. I know how painful it is, the price we have to pay for having
loved them..

(Zone 7a)

We had the most beautiful snow fall yesterday afternoon here and my friend and I had a nice chat and smoothed things out. Am very glad we did not have to go out in that, but instead could admire the magic of falling snow in a world where the land drops down toward the river so dramatically. Am having trouble with migraine so might be away for a while, but look forward to coming back and admiring everyone's fleurs.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2013 2:32 AM

How about some pics from this summer?

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Lovely blooms!

Thanks Linda. Very strange, Blue Silk wasn't turned wrong in my file ??

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Lovely flowers, I miss summer already :( nasty and cold here with snow and sleet!

I do a lot of shopping online too but still get to by toys! A few more to go and I'm done. Started my baking today 12 dozen pizzelles done. Butter cookies tomorrow.

Karen I didn't see your post but I can't imagine you would post anything offensive.

(Zone 7a)

Ronnie, with me, sometimes it's "open chops and insert foot" - maybe it goes with the ADD territory. I am fortunate that my friend had a nice chat and are all right with each other.

Loved those morning glories, Patootie. Wish I could post mine here too, but don't know how to downsize those images, plus acquired some malware trying to do so with some free down-sizing software. Am having migraine issues right now, so that will have to go on hold a while.

Wishing us all good weather and safe traveling in weeks to come, until sprouts green up our gardens again. I'll be back in a while - getting overwhelmed with to-dos.

Thanks Karen and Ronnie. I downloaded the free Malwarebytes and it quickly found and got
rid of the malware on my computer. Terrified of someone stealing my keystrokes. I do my
taxes on this computer.

Gautier, MS

Loved all your summer blooms Jackie. I did start a few mg's baggie method a few days ago but still have to get them in seed starting soil hopefully today. Still be awhile before they grow and bloom though.

No sleet or snow here, rained a bit last night (evening) windy and cold this morning. Can't complain cuz it's nothing compared to some other parts of the country.

Thanks Helena. Glad you've started some sds too. Maybe we will get to see some winter blooms, something to look forward to from you and Ronnie and Karen. I would love to
have tested one of my Lite Blue Tie Dye seeds.

Lite blue TD this summer
1 more of this bloom looking like Helenas Watercolor somewhat but out of Becky's
supposed Pink Silk sds from a few yrs ago.
This bloom did not make a sd pod as I recall.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Jackie, I love that light blue color. It is gorgeous and that dark blue is beautiful too.

I'm afraid it just might take 6 to 8 weeks to get blooms from these seedlings. It will almost be spring for a bloom from them but I might have one or two other more older seedlings that might bloom. Anyway it will be nice to have mg's blooms again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.