Morning Glories 2013 #13

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/133682

Youjiro yaguruma aka Rosita

This message was edited Oct 25, 2013 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Pretty Rosita Jackie.

Cool morning brought me this pretty but small bloom. Close up pictures make the bloom look bigger than it actually is.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Helena. Beautiful color on your bloom this morning.
My few blooms on outside vines have also been tiny, temps in the 30's here at night.

A pretty Purple Tie Dye in Aug

Thumbnail by patootie

Blushing Bride 2 days ago.
Dany's # 8 not and 2nd pic showing the lvs morphing. Apparantly some bacteria in the mix now causing the heavy leaf variegation.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

that is interesting, my lil african mask EE's are doing that thing with the leaves. Hmmm
Glad I found you guys, those blooms are all beautiful.

Debra, some of the EE's have heavy variegated lvs on their own. They're just beautiful.
On my 3rd pic above, you can see the top 2 lvs are very heavy on the white. If I'remember
correctly, one of my cats had overturned that pot on the porch. I scooped
the dirt back into the pot..That's most likely how I picked up the virus. I love what it
does to the lvs.

I love that flower from Dany. Truly unique.
from August 11 2012 Pretty sure I sent out seeds from this day.. I am going to look and see if I still have any from this time..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful blooms from Aug of last yr Debra. Love those 1st two purples and the pinks too.

Gautier, MS

Enjoying all the pretty blooms.

Down with the flu. Hate being sick.

Still had a nice bloom today.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

What a pretty bloom Helena. I love it. Hope you get to feeling better soon.,

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Hope you feel better Helena and what a lovely bloom!

Jackie your Dany #8 is pretty.

Great blooms Debra love the second one.

Here is what I had as Dany's # 8 tan seed and black seed

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes

Thanks Ronnie, beautiful #8 blooms. I'm so glad you sent pics of both of your Dany's # 8.
I was convinced mine was not a Dany's # 8 since I had completely forgotten about the tan seeded form.

oh,Ronnie, I love those colors. And Helena, thats an awsome bloom, hope u feel better soon.

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies.

Love that blue color Ronnie and the pink too.

Three blooms for me this a.m.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anyone know the name of this MG?

"Rocket" comes to mind--It came up on its own. I think a few years
ago I gad one there called that.
Thanks, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Beautiful blooms Helena. Love your Pink Porcelain cross.

Gita very pretty bloom. I can tell its a Purpurea but don't have a clue to its name.
Beautiful dark color. :-)

My only bloom this morning, Dany's # 8

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Pretty bloom Gita, reminds me of one that I had like that too with the white throat.

Pretty delicate baby blue color Jackie.

Only had 2 repeat blooms today with a bit of rain. Confederate rose and cassia blooming too. Because cassia blooms so late here, it doesn't make seeds for me.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh Helena, I want that white confederate rosé. Mine starts off pink and gets almost a reddish edge tint to it.

Here are a few whiteish creamy sloteri , from some older seeds and also I put in some of the regular reds and apricot all in one pot, I have not seen the red yet. I think that this may either be a new cultivar or the cold has affected the plant. Although I do have them indoors, so I haven't a clue, unless they crossed with the others I grew in 2007.

They are the size of cypress vine flowers with the sloteri leaves. Some are multicolored star shaped.

Aren't they cute?

This message was edited Nov 1, 2013 5:24 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd

Gorgeous blooms this morning Helena. Love the MG blooms. Your Cassia and Conf rose are
absolutely beautiful.

Love your orange/orangy red blooming sloteri A, very pretty.

A couple of purps today

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

A. nice sloteri blooms. Hope to grow it again too whenever I find my seeds of it.

Nice purpureas too Jackie.

I have a new bloom from one of Dany's seeds. The other two are not so pretty repeats. These are my last vines, a late start for zinnia blooms produced a small flower.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

love the sloteri, A. Save a couple seeds for me?

Jackie I have some purps blooming outside still, can't believe it is November with morning glorys. The lobatas are still gleefully blooming here. Gita, that is a glorious purpurea, it is loverly.
Helena those blooms are stunning, even the repeats. Weird that my zinnias are just now blooming everywhere..

Beautiful blooms Helena.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks---
The picture shows the magenta more than if you were just looking at it.
Is the name "Purporea" a general description--b/c it is purple?

I cannot remember who the seeds came from--but I have collected
a good amount of them. I know it was someone from DG.
Somehow, in my brain, is the name "Blue Rocket"...but I am not sure....
Gita

Here is another look--a bit more further away...The colors are not s intense...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, purpurea is the species in the Convolvulaceae family. Not necessarily because it's purple, there are other purpureas that are pink, white, blue, streaked etc.

"Blue Rocket" would only be a marketing name for sale purposes. Most likely it is a cross of some sort. Check out some pics here at Dave's you may see something that looks like your pretty one!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Convolvulaceae/Ipomoea/purpurea/cultivar/0/

Great blooms Jackie and Helena! Looks like we've all been lucky weather wise. I had a few purps pop open, just didn't have the camera out. Hopefully a few more for me too.

Gita, purpurea refers to the species
There are tri-colors, nils and other species of mg's.. They all belong to the
convolvulacea family.
The sticky thread at the top of the mg forum might list many of the different genera? within the mg family :-)

Oops, sorry Ronnie, I took too long with my response as usual.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I'm a slow typer we were probably typing at the same time!! LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Luvesgreatdanes--

The closest i came to ID'ing mine was the "Star of Yelta".
The odd shape of the bloom (five-sided straight edges) matches.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/42599/

"Kniolas Black" looked similar too.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51629/

It is not really important to me. I do not need names of plants I grow.
I just thought, in case i ever share the seeds--it would help.

Thanks---Gita

Gita, I love it no matter what its name is, I gave up on names a long time ago.. also, I love that pic of the blue bell fairy you have.
Blooming this am downstairs..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
(Zone 7a)

Debra, Gita painted the fairy - a woman of many talents

Enjoying everyone's flowers very much - thank you all

Gorgeous blooms Debra.
Are #'2 and 4 both Hibiscus Conf Rose?
Pretty Brug

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Blue Spiral---

I did not paint this exact picture---I did paint it but it does not look so perfect.
Then I realized that I had said that in error....I still love this picture and kept it as my Avatar.
It is from a book "fairies"...now out of print..I am sure.

Joeswife-- Here is my star of late bloomers--my Dr. Seuss Brug.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh my Goodness Gita that Brug is beautiful! Do you keep it in a greenhouse for winter?

Debra what is the white flower in your first pic?

Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms Gita and Debra.

Two nice blooms today but I love my antique Heritage rose and this light yellow one.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Your MG's are still lovely Helena.
Beautiful Roses, wish I could grow them.

love those brugs, Gita, gave my dr suess away a time ago, wish I still had him, same with Charles Grimaldi.

Loverly blooms, Helena, exceptional colors on that first glory and love the softness of the roses.

First pic is of white i carnea, Ronnie, will have a couple seeds if u want some, and yes 2 and 4th pic is confedrate rose, blooming inside. Don't like to wait until it is too cold to navigate when I bring in the tropicals, so we start bringing them in in August or September..That little white brug is called Little Angel.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2013 5:33 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Gita, gorgeous Brugs.. And Helena , I can see why you love that antique heritage rosé, it's beauty is in it's delicate pastel color...

Deborah, you have the green thumb for indoor growing I think. I'll keep an eye on that whiteish sloteri for seeds. A star shaped one is this mix also.. Total of five vines in thus pot. I guess it is not done morphing .

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

luvs...
I have NO greenhouse. Just my Shop--which ids almost undeground as I
have a 4-level split house. It is not heated--but it is part of the house--
so it stays around high 50's all winter.

The Brugs get dug up and are cut back pretty severely and and they spend
the winter in my dark Shop. The even grow some leaves while down there...

Here I have to say that--I plant my brugs pot-in-pot. I cut out holes on the sides
of a 3gal., black nursery pot I plant them in that--and then bury that pot either in
a bed or in another, larger pot.
When I dig it up--I have to sever all the roots that grew out through the holes--
and lift the pot out. But that is OK. They just sit semi-dormant in my cool dark basement.
I do not water them much--maybe a bit now and then. Brugs are really tough plants!

This is the way I learned to grow them here--as they cannot be left outside
for the winter. Before I came to DG--I was on GW and there were some
really experienced brug people there that I learned a lot from.

My Dr. Seuss is wayyyy too big to bring in by now. So--I will cut it back
and cut all the woody stems up in 5"-6" sections. I will then deliver them to
an Arboretum that will accept them and grow them out to sell. Maybe, by the time
it is all cut up, even the big plant itself will fit...somehow...in my small Subaru Outback.
It has to go! I cannot keep it at this size. I will start all over again from a cutting.
Been there--done that---many times.
I root the cuttings I keep right into fresh Mix--NEVER in water. The root in less than 10 days.
Tried the water eons ago--and they all got slimy and died.
Soil works best for all kinds of cuttings. Coleus do amazingly!

Here are my Brug cuttings on a plant shelf by a window from 2011.

This is, pretty much, where my brugs live all winter. YUK!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Gita sound like brugs aren't as "difficult " as I thought! Still a lot of work though. I had to give up on tropicals, couldn't keep lugging them into the cellar. Just keep a few and my cannas now.

your shop reminds me of Bonnies place, she has a "shop" crammed full of stuff..

Memories from August 2011 morning glorys for tonight.. gotta love those spokes...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.