Seed Purge Fall 2013

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm going ahead and posting this...though the deadline is October 15th. A few folks messaged me last go 'round that they didn't see it until it was too late...hopefully everyone who wants to participate has ample time to see this.

GUIDELINES FOR THE SWAP:
Swapper should:
Have the ability to send seeds in by the deadline (October 15th), as well as the ability to answer an email or private message.

Let me know in this thread that you would like to participate & I will message my address to you. THE PURGE IS OPEN TO ALL...USA, CANADA, & INTERNATIONAL.
*PLEASE make sure that it is legal to send and receive seeds in your country...as there are a few that do not accept seeds from the US*

1. You can send in up to 100 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 100 packages, you will get 100 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. There is a maximum of 5 packages of each variety per person. Variety meaning “Dixie Butterpea”, not legumes in general You can send veggies, flowers, and herbs.
As a rule, seed packets should *try* and contain the following:
Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/4 tsp
Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/2 tsp
Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 10 seeds
Large Vegetable Seeds (Squash, Beans, Corn): 20 seeds

2. Please send NAMED VARIETIES of seed. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. PLEASE DO NOT SEND KNOWN HYBRIDS. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. Or if possible, send seeds in the original packet. If there is anything that is unsure of, just ask! Do not include mystery seeds. It isn't fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you.

When you grow out the seeds that you receive please try not to be upset if an occasional plant is not true. That being said, please don't send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.

Please do not include seeds that are older than 2011.

3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in (or message me with the list). Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees, of course. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics (Malachite Box Tomato), but also some general wishes (Green-when-ripe tomatoes). Don't be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 100 things on it. If you wish to message me your wishlist, please feel free, and if you’d like, post it (or some of it) on the thread. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, change your mind, or find something that you wish to add to your list, just let me know. It is no trouble to change the lists until the day that I send them out…then you’re kinda stuck.
Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name – so I know who has sent in their seeds! I had trouble with a few last go 'round who didn't include a screen name

WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have:
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. 5 US Stamps (Canada & international can send monetary funds)
3. An address label with your address on it.
4. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list
5. Include your name & Screen name

I'm downsizing in the winter, so my mass of seeds will be added...everyone will end up with more than they sent in.

I'm posting this on Gardenweb and Idig as well...there were quite a few participants from the sites last time.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yeah...I'm the first..lol. Will start collecting seed soon, gotten a few so far but have scads to collect!!! Kathy

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm in! I've started collecting some seeds and will put together that list in a few weeks. Mike

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Nice! Thanks for joining in :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I am in! This sounds like fun. I already have some seeds in mind to send.

Wish list:

Buddleia
Columnea Gloriosa (Goldfish flower)
Beard tongue
Salvia/sage (no black and blue--I already have lots)
Balloonflower (purple or white)
Evolvulus
Coreopsis
Perennial phlox
Vinca/periwinkle (annual)
Lobelia
Brachycome
Stock/Mathiola
Primrose
Cardinal flower
Larkspur
Alyssum gold dust
Black krim tomatoes
Double impatiens (hybrid?)
Torenia
Pentas
Angelonia
Purslane
Lupine

This message was edited Sep 8, 2013 10:18 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice work Heidi. Please count me in. :)

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Will do!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Interested! But tell me ... does it have to be collected seed? I have tonz of Thompson & Morgan packets because I accidentally double-ordered this year (and we are talking a major purchase).

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

It doesn't have to be collected seed. It can be commercial seed.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Just to let others know that T&MSEEDS.con is having a .99 cent sale til the end of the month..... I need to stay away from them..lol. Won't ever happen tho. Sent my order yesterday, but not sure if I'll be sharing..lol. Gosh I'm naughty.. Maybe when I grow them on.. Kathy

Pix: Delphinium grandiflora, 12-18" and an all summer bloomer. (ok when deadheaded it blooms the whole summer)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Kathy.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Kathy!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Lol...you won't thank me when you get to the checkout page... Only joking...

Here's some I just collected this evening and should have plenty this year more than 300 seeds (last year I only had about 30 or so... Iris setosa Nana, 18"x18-24", same time as TBI's will check tag tomorrow, skeeters were eating supper.... Kathy

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

OK, I'm in. I just started collecting, should have plenty by next month. I'll work on my wish list, too...

Pam

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Luv that Iris setosa. A lovely native.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
Lol...you won't thank me when you get to the checkout page... Only joking...

Here's some I just collected this evening and should have plenty this year more than 300 seeds (last year I only had about 30 or so... Iris setosa Nana, 18"x18-24", same time as TBI's will check tag tomorrow, skeeters were eating supper.... Kathy

That is pretty!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Heidi...Will we be able to make up packets and put peoples names on them? And if so do you two want the Iris?

Pix..this is another in the Iris setosa family...have several pods but not quite ripe yet, just looked ...it has 13 pods so will have atleast as many seeds as the above. This one is a bit different in bloom, more open and porcelain blue. Sorry tags got washed away but I am sure of them being Iris setosa. This one is also more vigerous than the other..atleast for me. Kathy

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Kathy, that's fine with me, if it's something specific.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd definitely like the Iris setosa. That would be great!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
Heidi...Will we be able to make up packets and put peoples names on them? And if so do you two want the Iris?

Pix..this is another in the Iris setosa family...have several pods but not quite ripe yet, just looked ...it has 13 pods so will have atleast as many seeds as the above. This one is a bit different in bloom, more open and porcelain blue. Sorry tags got washed away but I am sure of them being Iris setosa. This one is also more vigerous than the other..atleast for me. Kathy

Yes, please, on the first. Thank you! :)

Elk Horn, KY

Please sign me up.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

In addition to your wishlists, feel free to put things you do NOT want, as well. For instance, I am allergic to corn...so I would let someone know that. I also cannot grown melons (thanks, Georgia Clay!), so that would be on my "do not want" list as well.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Both packets made...^-^

Pix is Crambe cordifolia (far right), looks like a big babies breath on stilts(5ft x 4-5ft wide), got seeds and am drying..little bit harder to start from what I read tho...(deno method)

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I'm so sorry, I have to drop out this time. I'm still way behind in my garden, and have already missed seed-gathering opportunities. Aso, we are going away for several weeks, leaving in early October, and I have so much to finish before that.... I just don't see time available for anything extra. Next year for sure!

Pam

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I am interested depending on when we would receive the seeds.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

If everyone send their seeds in on time (which would be a Tuesday), they would all be mailed by that Saturday, so hopefully they would all be mailed back to the receipients by October 19th. If the day they're all suppose to arrive comes and they're not here, I'll post that some ones has not arrived. Last year one arrived a week late, so no huge delay.

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

That works great. Please count me in.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Sure thing! Thanks for joining.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

A new thread is open for the Birthday Club. Please join us.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1330932/

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

If the list is still open I'd like to join in.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Sure thing! Glad to have you join in :)

Rogers, MN(Zone 4b)

I would love to join also! I went a bit overboard on the seed collecting this year...

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

In a cut bouquet that I purchased was a dark purple daisy-looking flower.
The odd thing about it was that some of the petals were white with
tinges of purple & the buds were white as well. Anyone know what
this is or have seeds to share?

If its on my Have list here on DG & you're interested I'll specifically
put some aside in the swap box for you.

Mostly I need seeds that will bloom & thrive in containers.

Wish List:
dichondra Silver falls
Malope trifolia
Brachycome
Bacopa
Bells of Ireland
Carnation
Osteopermum

More to come but heading to Lowe's tomorrow. Hubby bought me
2 huge $60 pots for $10 each. So what I can't find I'll list. :)

This message was edited Sep 2, 2013 12:08 AM

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Cris, sounds like an osteospermum to me. Check it out.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree, most likely osteospermum.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

The first package came in the mail today from domehomedee...great stuff! Hopefully this is a sign of great things to come for the seed purge :)

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heidi,
Wanted to ask about the measurements you gave
above for small seeds. I started packaging portulaca seeds
and a 1/4 teaspoon equals about 1000 seeds - I think thats
a little overkill for a swap. Any thoughts?

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info - I actually received a few in a recent swap
I'll make sure I get them planted next year. :)

Jamestown, OH

I already signed up on idigmygarden, but wanted to join this thread also to let everyone here know some of the seeds I have:

Gold Dust Alyssum
Candytuft, shades of purple
Love-in-a-Mist, mostly blue & white
Orange Tiger Lily bulbils, if they haven't all dropped off, will check
Purple Iron Weed
Big Tetra Zinnia
Ca. Giant Zinnia
Gypsy Sunshine Marigold
Moonflower Vine
Tall Mix Morning Glory
Star of Yelta Morning Glory
Cucuzzi Edible Gourd
Congo Watermelon
Tigger Melon
Lemon Cucumber
Goji Berry
Pink Beans
Missouri Wonder Pole Bean
Peppermint
Pumpkin On A Stick
Jaune Flamme Tomato
Riesentraube T.
German Pink Tree T.
Oranje Von Goeijenbier T.
German Red Strawberry T.
Cherokee Purple T.
Fireball T.
Black Krim T.
Lipstick Sweet Pepper
Marconi Red Pepper
Jalapeno M. Pepper
NuMex Big Jim Chili Pepper
Long Red Cayenne Pepper
Jumbo Pink Banana Squash
Long Island Mammoth Dill
Di Cicco Broccoli
Green Goliath Broccoli
Green Sprouting Calabrese Broccoli
Detroit Dark Red Beet
Crimson Giant Radish
Cherry Belle Radish
Sparkler Radish
Cat Grass (oats)

Some on my Wish List:

Hollyhock, Halo series, Creme de Cassis, and Double Apricot
Columbine, except wild
Fireweed
Pink Muhly Grass
Appleblossom Grass
Brugmansia
Japanese Morning Glory
English Daisy - red
Tall Garden Phlox, especially Peppermint Candy
Cockscomb, Orange var. Cristata
Cosmos, Pink Popsock
Hardy Hibiscus
Liatris Alba
Lunaria Variegated
Lunaria Dark Purple
Lunaria White
Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy and Cherokee Sunset
Gaillardia Arizona Apricot
Blue Lace Flower
Lemon Verbena
Gomphrena, Orange
Spurred Snapdragon Flamenco
Sierra Gold Cantaloupe
King of the Garden Lima Bean

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, 1,000 is a lot. The best thing to do for those tiny flower seeds is to send as many as you would need...usually what looks to be around 100-200...some send more, but that's the average. It's hard to hand count them...I know from experience...I had an order of them burst in the mail last year, and I spent a good while picking them out of bubble wrap.
I post that so people know what to eyeball...I don't think anyone has ever measured precisely for the tiny seeds. It's also posted because last year a few sent 5-ish seeds per item, regardless of the item (some were squash, some cat nip, some nicotiana). They were from another site and are not participating this year, so hopefully no problems :)

Midwestfarmwife, thanks for posting your list here, as well!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.